Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

 
VTNC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author
Posts: 1752
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:08 pm
Location: Brasil
Contact:

EA aka GIVE ME YOUR MONEY (video inside)

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:06 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-DnK-d_sp0

Fall 2006?
Thanks. We really didn't need patches and bugfixes to the unbalanced game with the sh1tty bug-ridden engine you already sold to us, along with expansion packs to give some players vantage over others.

PS: We are your eternal beta-testers forever and ever
PPS: We really want to pay new game prices for a total conversion mod.


:evil:
Image
 
Forge
Lord High Gerbil
Posts: 8253
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Gone

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:11 pm

That's some really great TC they've got there. Too bad they're charging money for BF2 yet again.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.
 
Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3452
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:47 am

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:18 pm

It has mechs though... MECHS!!!

/waits to be another beta tester while staring at the copy of bf2 he hasn't played since it came out.
 
Nelliesboo
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1696
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Land of the free (San Francisco)

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:29 pm

Convert wrote:
It has mechs though... MECHS!!!

/waits to be another beta tester while staring at the copy of bf2 he hasn't played since it came out.


I got mine i think 2 - 3 weeks before it came out and it has been siting on top of my monitor since unopened. (btw: loved the mechs in that movie)
"StarCraft 2 will release when it's ready." - Blizzard
 
Forge
Lord High Gerbil
Posts: 8253
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Gone

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:56 pm

I still haven't picked up BF2 due to lack of funds. Knowing that BF3 will be out in a few months, I may just have to continue to give it a miss.

My two copies of BF42 and my mostly unused copy of BF:V curse at me.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.
 
computron9000
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2420
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:21 pm

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:07 am

Forge wrote:
Knowing that BF3 will be out in a few months...


?? link?
 
Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3220
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:05 pm
Location: In my secret cave that has bats

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:25 am

*Sniff Sniff* I want my Mech Warrior 5!!!!!!!! But it's probably not gonna happen. As much as I dislike EA, I can't help but be drawn towards the Mech's. I see an almost exact rip-off, but I guess it'll have to do since Microsoft is sitting on their butts with the Mech universe.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.
 
tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3412
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:09 am

Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:19 am

MechWarrior, Choose your clan.


Mech Warroir 4 was kind of ehh. The totally runed the way you design mechs. Mech Warroir 2 or 3 was awesome.

*edit if they do it right BF will become just like any other EA game. A "new game" or expansion every year or so. Mostly improved graphics and some things here or there. No real substance.
 
Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3045
Joined: Thu May 13, 2004 12:12 pm
Location: Turn around...

Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:23 am

Sargent Duck wrote:
*Sniff Sniff* I want my Mech Warrior 5!!!!!!!! But it's probably not gonna happen. As much as I dislike EA, I can't help but be drawn towards the Mech's. I see an almost exact rip-off, but I guess it'll have to do since Microsoft is sitting on their butts with the Mech universe.


You know I want my Mech5 so much I think I wouldn't mind if EA made it as long as I got it soon....

Sad ain't it?
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"
 
Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 12343
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:35 pm

Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:52 am

?? link?


The video says Battlefield 2142 will be out in Fall this year. That's what Forge was talking about, I assume.
 
l33t-g4m3r
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2059
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:54 am

Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:53 am

what about starsiege?
i hope the new one is still coming out too.

best game with vehicles IMO, is UT2004.
 
toxent
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:50 pm
Location: Bentonville, Arkansas

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:14 am

Sargent Duck wrote:
*Sniff Sniff* I want my Mech Warrior 5!!!!!!!! But it's probably not gonna happen. As much as I dislike EA, I can't help but be drawn towards the Mech's. I see an almost exact rip-off, but I guess it'll have to do since Microsoft is sitting on their butts with the Mech universe.


With the way they slaughtered the mech universe, we're all a lot better off.

MW2 FTW 8)
AMD Phenom X6 1090T Black Edition w/Scythe Ninja HSF | ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 | GSkill 8GB(2x4GB) PC3-12800 | PowerColor Radeon 4850 512MB | Samsung Spinpont F1 1TB SATA
 
KingFish
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:20 am
Location: Soggy Bottom, Lousyana
Contact:

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 am

I'm a huge fan of the battlefield series but I really have my doubts about this one. It does appear to be rehashed BF2 with mechs. I'd have to say I will stick with BF2 before picking this one up. I haven't heard anything of a BF3 in the works. You have a link on that one?
<a href=http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=25646>My Heatware</a>
<img src="http://chronos.dynup.net/Sigs/sig1.php?designer=Sparrow&sigid=3&user=KingFish">
AMD 3500+ | Asus A8V | 1 Gig Patriot TCCD Ram | Nvidia 6800 GT
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 23043
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:00 am

 
Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3045
Joined: Thu May 13, 2004 12:12 pm
Location: Turn around...

Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:16 am

toxent wrote:
Sargent Duck wrote:
*Sniff Sniff* I want my Mech Warrior 5!!!!!!!! But it's probably not gonna happen. As much as I dislike EA, I can't help but be drawn towards the Mech's. I see an almost exact rip-off, but I guess it'll have to do since Microsoft is sitting on their butts with the Mech universe.


With the way they slaughtered the mech universe, we're all a lot better off.

MW2 FTW 8)


Nah they didnt slaughter it. I liked mech4.

I do wish they would remake the mech 2 games so I can play em again. I don't have a Win98 system anymore.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"
 
Forge
Lord High Gerbil
Posts: 8253
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Gone

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:26 am

KingFish wrote:
I haven't heard anything of a BF3 in the works. You have a link on that one?


BF3 = easier to remember and type than BF2142. It would actually be the fourth major Battlefield version, but I suppose EA wants us to forget the poorly supported bastard child that was BF:V.

I actually rather liked BF:V, though I never really got a lot of play time in.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.
 
SpiffSpoo
Gerbil First Class
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:36 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:00 pm

Mechs seem cool, I liked the invisible dude too. For the year 2142, that tech seems alittle old, to me at least. BF2 will be fine for me untill BF2142 is about 10$, that is if someone didn't just make that trailer to screw with us. We all know that old Revolution video don't we :D, but this aprently came from EA, so meh.
Last edited by SpiffSpoo on Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ECS 755-A2 MoBo | 754 NewCastle A64 3000+ | 1.5 GB PC3200 3-3-3-8 | 80 + 250 gig HD 7200 RPM SATA | BFG Geforce 6800GT | Audigy 2 GAMER | 550 WATT PSU | SyncMaster 712n | Altec Headphones | Logitec 5.1 System
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 23043
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:00 pm

SpiffSpoo wrote:
Mechs seem cool, I liked the invisible dude too. For the year 2142, that tech seems alittle old, to me at least. BF2 will be fine for me untill BF2142 is about 10$, that is if someone didn't just make that trailer to screw with us. We all know that old Revolution video don't we :D

It's on gamespot too, if you see that link I posted a few posts up.
 
Vrock
Gerbil God
Posts: 25240
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Land of the Looney Lolcats

Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:59 pm

tfp wrote:
MechWarrior, Choose your clan.


Mech Warroir 4 was kind of ehh. The totally runed the way you design mechs. Mech Warroir 2 or 3 was awesome.

*edit if they do it right BF will become just like any other EA game. A "new game" or expansion every year or so. Mostly improved graphics and some things here or there. No real substance.


Yeah, I didn't care for the weapon-specific slot system either (though it actually is a bit more "realistic"), also the location damage wasn't as good as MW3. In MW3 I could blow off an Orion's leg with 2-3 blasts from a 6 x ER Large Laser cluster, MW4 that just wasn't happening.
Democrats, please help control our pest population: have yourselves spayed or neutered.
 
Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I
Posts: 6049
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:20 pm
Location: somewhere on Core Prime
Contact:

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:10 pm

This game's background is a rip-off from Earth 2140 and 2150. :evil:

EA has done it again, "We don't challange ourselves, please send us $50!" I will not support betaware releases, until EA gives Dice enough time to finish the damm game with just minor quirks.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B
 
Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I
Posts: 6049
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:20 pm
Location: somewhere on Core Prime
Contact:

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:16 pm

Vrock wrote:
tfp wrote:
MechWarrior, Choose your clan.


Mech Warroir 4 was kind of ehh. The totally runed the way you design mechs. Mech Warroir 2 or 3 was awesome.

*edit if they do it right BF will become just like any other EA game. A "new game" or expansion every year or so. Mostly improved graphics and some things here or there. No real substance.


Yeah, I didn't care for the weapon-specific slot system either (though it actually is a bit more "realistic"), also the location damage wasn't as good as MW3. In MW3 I could blow off an Orion's leg with 2-3 blasts from a 6 x ER Large Laser cluster, MW4 that just wasn't happening.


MW2's heat system was too relaxed and pulse lasers were far too powerful. ER PPCs and Flamers were a complete joke. I had an enemy Firemoth take 15 direct ER PPCs shots before dying!

MW3 got the weapon system done right, but it was ridicious to load-up any assault mech with 14 ER Medium lasers with a bunch of Double Heat Sinks. MW4 got the weapon and equipment limiations done right, but the weapon system was massively bias towards Guass weapons and pulse lasers.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B
 
FubbHead
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3482
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2002 9:04 pm
Location: Borås, Sweden

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:25 pm

Krogoth255 wrote:
This game's background is a rip-off from Earth 2140 and 2150. :evil:

EA has done it again, "We don't challange ourselves, please send us $50!" I will not support betaware releases, until EA gives Dice enough time to finish the damm game with just minor quirks.

I'm starting to wonder if Dice did this on purpose.. ;)
Amiga 1200, [email protected], 4MB+2MB RAM, Conner 80MB harddrive
 
totoro
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1097
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:00 pm
Location: Detroit

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:30 pm

Yogurt wrote:
"We'll find out in Spaceballs 2: The Search for More Money."


Seemed somehow appropriate. :lol:
 
Smurfer2
Gerbil
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:24 am

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:31 pm

It may have bugs, stupid red name tag bug... Though besides the inability to throw C4 and fixing the red name tag bug, I'm happy with BF2 in it's current state. Never enjoyed BF:V or BF42 in it's vanilla state. So, BF2 is my favorite of the battlefields yet. Though, the mods are still the best. :D

As for BF2142 or whatever, unless where I admin or my favorite mods move to it, I'm not going to buy it. :wink:
 
tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3412
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:09 am

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:17 pm

Krogoth255 wrote:
MW3 got the weapon system done right, but it was ridicious to load-up any assault mech with 14 ER Medium lasers with a bunch of Double Heat Sinks. MW4 got the weapon and equipment limiations done right, but the weapon system was massively bias towards Guass weapons and pulse lasers.


I'm trying to remember if you could do this with the old pen and paper btech. if you could I have no problem with it. There are ways to deal with mechs like that.

MW3 was fun to play, even vs mode. Running around in 35 Ton mechs "jumping" around and shooting guass rifes, heh.
 
Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3220
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:05 pm
Location: In my secret cave that has bats

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:29 pm

The one thing that really annoyed me was in MW 4 you couldn't salvage mech's. I'd focus all my fire on one particular's mech legs. His torso would still be in the green. All right I though, as his last leg was destroyed. A new Mech. Sadly, I was wrong as it blew up in front of my face.

MW3 was great for salvage.....ahhhh, salvage.

Here's hoping that this game will have enough "mech's" for everyone. That would really suck if there were only 4 mechs to a side or something.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.
 
toxent
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:50 pm
Location: Bentonville, Arkansas

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:38 pm

tfp wrote:
Krogoth255 wrote:
MW3 got the weapon system done right, but it was ridicious to load-up any assault mech with 14 ER Medium lasers with a bunch of Double Heat Sinks. MW4 got the weapon and equipment limiations done right, but the weapon system was massively bias towards Guass weapons and pulse lasers.


I'm trying to remember if you could do this with the old pen and paper btech. if you could I have no problem with it. There are ways to deal with mechs like that.

MW3 was fun to play, even vs mode. Running around in 35 Ton mechs "jumping" around and shooting guass rifes, heh.


Yes you could do it in Battletech, the difference is that Btech handled heat in a very different manner. Even in MW2 (which had the best representaion of Btech heat IMO) it just didn't represent it well. Truth be told it was probably very difficult to get anywhere close.

Of course when you play Btech you have other controlling factors too, like a GM. :wink:
AMD Phenom X6 1090T Black Edition w/Scythe Ninja HSF | ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 | GSkill 8GB(2x4GB) PC3-12800 | PowerColor Radeon 4850 512MB | Samsung Spinpont F1 1TB SATA
 
Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I
Posts: 6049
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:20 pm
Location: somewhere on Core Prime
Contact:

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:45 pm

toxent wrote:
tfp wrote:
Krogoth255 wrote:
MW3 got the weapon system done right, but it was ridicious to load-up any assault mech with 14 ER Medium lasers with a bunch of Double Heat Sinks. MW4 got the weapon and equipment limiations done right, but the weapon system was massively bias towards Guass weapons and pulse lasers.


I'm trying to remember if you could do this with the old pen and paper btech. if you could I have no problem with it. There are ways to deal with mechs like that.

MW3 was fun to play, even vs mode. Running around in 35 Ton mechs "jumping" around and shooting guass rifes, heh.


Yes you could do it in Battletech, the difference is that Btech handled heat in a very different manner. Even in MW2 (which had the best representaion of Btech heat IMO) it just didn't represent it well. Truth be told it was probably very difficult to get anywhere close.

Of course when you play Btech you have other controlling factors too, like a GM. :wink:


I thought there was some limitations in Battletech for some mechs expect for Omni units. I like the MW3's real-time verison of the heat system. The MW2's version had the problem of having too much tolerance rather then the effectiveness of the heatsinks. The biggest problem with adapting the Battletech system is that its gear for turn-based combat.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B
 
toxent
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:50 pm
Location: Bentonville, Arkansas

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:00 pm

Krogoth255 wrote:
I thought there was some limitations in Battletech for some mechs expect for Omni units. I like the MW3's real-time verison of the heat system. The MW2's version had the problem of having too much tolerance rather then the effectiveness of the heatsinks.


Yeah ther are limitations but like i said you have GM's that impose those. Technically you can completely customize any mech in Btech if you have enough time and money. The idea with omnimechs was that it made it quicker, easier and cheaper. Playing as a mercenary is one of the most popular ways to do a campaign. That's why money, salvage, and customization are so common in the PC games.

Krogoth255 wrote:
The biggest problem with adapting the Battletech system is that its gear for turn-based combat.


Exactly my point.
AMD Phenom X6 1090T Black Edition w/Scythe Ninja HSF | ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 | GSkill 8GB(2x4GB) PC3-12800 | PowerColor Radeon 4850 512MB | Samsung Spinpont F1 1TB SATA
 
eckslax
Gerbil Elder
Posts: 5320
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2002 4:22 pm
Location: Vast Right Wing Conspiracy HQ

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:24 pm

I gave BF2 an honest try, but the instability, roughness of the engine, and overall lack of polish just turned me off entirely. This seems to be a general pattern for 90% of EA games.
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
GZIP: On