Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

SonWorshiper
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:33 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Someone give me a reason why this logic is wrong.

If you don't spend money to help strengthen our economy, then the terrorists win!!!

Yeah, Civ 2 still rocks. Screw Civ 4.

Arkwald
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:10 am

Civ 4 just has prettier graphics for the most part, that and religions and cultural spheres of influence.

The only other main game play mechanic is only being able to build certain units if you owned different resources. If you can get a monopoly on iron your good:) In any case it is better then in Civ 3 when you would get a resource and then it would RANDOMLY dissappear. There is nothing more frustrating then being in the middle of a war and then unexpectedly running out of oil and not being able to make any more tanks.
The universe is defined as infinite possibility limited only by the probability of those possibilities to occur

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:49 am

Oh wait I was confused I saw the title and thought you guys were talking about the pr0n movie Pirates :P

Nevermind........................
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:08 pm

The AI is much, much better in 3 and 4 than in 2.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:14 pm

Glorious wrote:
The AI is much, much better in 3 and 4 than in 2.
Yes, that's one of the ways 2 is easier. In 3, it seemed like I had to always deal with pollution in the endgame and that just made it very boring for me.

Sometimes I still have fun playing Civ 2, to see how ridiculous I can be. I think in my last game I had cancer cured in 1770 AD, and railroads built in 0 AD or something. I'm kinda rusty, I know I'ved done better in the past.

Edit: split from Pirates thread.

mdfrncs
Gerbil

Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:53 pm

Cultural borders are the biggest plus for me in Civ's 3 and 4 over civ 2. I hated not having any borders in Civ 2 - it ruined to me what was an otherwise great game.

Resources in Civ 3 were a pain - much better done in Civ 4. Also, the introduction of religion was nice, though it's a shame that they;re all the same. And, of course, the graphics are better in Civ 4 + smarter AI.

Stripe7
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:31 pm

I have a box with every single version of Civ that has come out. Mac versions included. I think Civ IV was the best, not only did it have better graphics it had a better interface and way better playability. However lately I have given up on Civ and switched to Gal Civ II which is way superior.

dragmor
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:05 pm

The original Civ is the best, just set it to max players and pick Mongols, its all sweet from there.

I didnt like the handycaping in Civ2, I remember starting a game on Diety and moving my settler to a better spot, in computers first turn they killed my settler with a bomber.

I was pissed off that multiplayer was default in Civ3, and they made you buy the expansion.

Civ4, is the 2nd best version, the game dynamics have been improved, religion and culture work well (although the culture bomb is a bit powerful). The scenarios are good. I'm loving the greek world scenario at the moment.
SZ87R6/i5 4560 stock/24GB 2333mhz/840 Evo 250GB/Seagate 2TB/ASUS 760GTX/Dell 2711
Rainbows lie in corded knots
While thunder wakes the sleeping crocs.

ShadowEyez
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:34 pm

IMHO Civ 4 was the best, followed by Civ 2, then Civ 3 is the least favorite.

Civ 4 polished Civ 2 in almost every way, and was a massive improvement over Civ 3 (they made resources fun, as opposed to annoying and always disappearing). Civ 4 also had more tweakable game options (always war/peace, alliances, more play modes and world setup options) that increased re-playability, better AI, and multiplayer out of the box. Improved eye-candy is expected but welcome.
The finest tools are forged from the hottest fires

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:49 am

I'm not sure why, but I've never been able to get into Civ IV. This is odd, as I chose Civ 2 over a girlfriend back in the day.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:16 am

idchafee wrote:
I'm not sure why, but I've never been able to get into Civ IV. This is odd, as I chose Civ 2 over a girlfriend back in the day.

Because now you have 3 "girls" that even Civ 2 can't compete against?

So looks like we have more people playing Civ 4 now... Multiplayer anyone? (where's the doc?)