Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:30 pm

thegleek wrote:
so... in theory....

if one of the TR gerbs were to die....

would we have an online funeral thread? most likely, yes.

so would it be okay to stomp all over that thread and flame others who post in it? no.

but the difference here folks is, TR is not a game. got it? :-?

Yeah, that's pretty much it right there. I don't find the people taking part sad, stupid, funny, or anything else...I find the morons that rained on it to be really f'ing stupid.

And none of it funny.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:47 pm

I don't know. The more I think about it, the more I sympathize with the people attacked. I recall when I lost an online friend--he got nailed by a N. naja that he had in captivity, and turned out to be hyper sensitive to venom. It sucked. I'd never met the man IRL, but he and I had talked herps several times, and knew each other somewhat well, so I was sad when he died. So I suppose it is possible to have online friends and all, which makes me feel different. Still, knowing the 'net, they should well have taken the precaution of having security and/or gone to a different sever.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:51 pm

you don't get the chance to just move to another server in WoW...you get to move characters from approved servers to other approved servers when Blizzard says it's OK.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Wintermane
Gerbil Elite

Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:12 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Wintermane wrote:
Yes but the group that did it likely will find themsevles blacklisted and then exterminated. Most likely even as we speak hackers are closing in on them.

Riiiighhhtttt :roll:

Ok let me explain the reak world to you.

There are 5 million people on wow.

That means there are about 1000 murderers on wow.

That also means there are about 200000 mentaly unstable people on wow.

That also means there are 5-10 mass murderers on wow.

That also means there are about 20000 insane people on wow.

Alot of them now know these people now.

Would you like those odds?

And that doesnt even include what SANE people will decide to do about it.

Here is a question... how many people each year are murdered irl due to something in a game? These goobers just increased thier odds a ton.
If at first you dont succeed use a bigger hammer.

Stripe7
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:48 pm

You are assuming the killers and murderers and insane psychopaths have nothing else to do {like killing people IRL} than play WOW. Also, lots of people from Europe and Asia play on the US servers. Kind of hard to track down someone when they are anonnymous.

muyuubyou
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: London, UK or Tokyo/Yokohama, Japan or Madrid, Spain

Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:05 pm

That kind of idiotic juvenile behaviour, along with others, keeps me from playing popular online games... lately I'm not playing online at all. Going cranky I guess.
no sig

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:43 pm

I think there's something to be said for the argument that a "possible sociopath" who for some reason wouldn't quite kill a real person would derive great pleasure in transmitting as much pain as the game mechanics will allow to others.

I am not speaking of competition where people have an equal chance in a pvp setting. I'm talking about stomping someone you have no chance of losing to (called ganking) or wrecking quests, or just being as miserable a person as you possibly can.

Shintai
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:19 pm

I think alot of people miss some parts here and start to declare the "gankers" for bad people or the like.

* WoW and other MMOs are games like any other thing, its also subscription based. And even tho its all nice and stuff to hold these useless services. I dont pay to pray, I pay to play.

* Its a PvP server and its hold in a PvP zone. So its kinda obvious that its not the sharpest people that placed the ceremony there. Also, how can you be sure everyone knows it and the info is spread out to everyone.

* WoW got what, 4-5mio players. We have some 5.2mio people here in my country, and I believe the deadrate is about some 40000 a year +/- 10000 since I didnt check. Now do the math and see how many funerals you gonna hold on a statistic base.

* Lacking the ability to difference a entertainment product and some peoples deaths or others over bad fortunes is way off the track. I would almost state that as a psychiatric problem with people that cant seperate 2 worlds. Post on some board? Sure, put it into a game?..crossed the line there. Also WoW is preteen rated, it might not be the best mix to do for the youngest crowd. WoW is a toy, not reality.

So get over it, keep real world problems to the real world and let the gankers gank in the fiction based entertainment world.

And yes, I am a ganker, I support ganking and I couldn´t care any less ingame about weddings, deaths, divorces, newborn kids, financial troubles or anything else. The only thing I care about ingame is if some people have handicaps in one area or the other, language, austism etc that can´t be seperated from the entertainment.

Shintai

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:21 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
I think there's something to be said for the argument that a "possible sociopath" who for some reason wouldn't quite kill a real person would derive great pleasure in transmitting as much pain as the game mechanics will allow to others.

I am not speaking of competition where people have an equal chance in a pvp setting. I'm talking about stomping someone you have no chance of losing to (called ganking) or wrecking quests, or just being as miserable a person as you possibly can.

So we could call everyone that loves a good tackling in icehockey, football or a beatup in boxing for the same thing? They all enjoy the same traits as the MMO ganker. It´s all about seeing another person get hurt in some way.

wirerogue
Gerbil First Class

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:37 pm

the name of the game has "war" in it. since when does respect, have anything to do with "war"

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:35 pm

Shintai wrote:
And yes, I am a ganker, I support ganking and I couldn´t care any less ingame about weddings, deaths, divorces, newborn kids, financial troubles or anything else. The only thing I care about ingame is if some people have handicaps in one area or the other, language, austism etc that can´t be seperated from the entertainment.
So you support me coming to a movie theater and answering my cell phone during the movie? You support me being loud and obnoxious in a bar or restaurant?

Asshats think they have a free ticket to do whatever they want in the game world. Purposefully wrecking someone's game, quests, etc, (there are many forms of griefing) is just like being an ass in a movie theater or anywhere else.

And what is the point of ganking? Yeah, I could one-shot anything less than lvl 45 or so, but I gain no honor, not even an HK, it's just me flexing my e-peen. I don't understand the point of ganking. And I know some people get off on beating the hell out of someone with 2 of their friends, just like people are bullies in real life, fighting in a situation where they most likely can't be hurt.

This is all my opinion, of course.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:49 pm

PerfectCr wrote:
That, and WOW is a game, not real life. The whole point is you do not HAVE to be yourself in a game.
When it comes to how people behave emotionally, I don't see wild derivations.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:12 pm

Its nice to remember someone like that but dang it's a GAME!

MMOs are social beasts. They, just like the Internet, can cross a large landmass boundaries.

That people who couldn't make it to the real life funeral wanted to hold something in game for a person they saw day in and day out over several months while raiding, PvP'ing, and chatting on Vent is really of no surprise.

I think most people would come to call a person like that a friend. Even if you didn't, I'd think you'd at least have some sorrow and respect for the individual.

It is interesting to see this distinction from you though. Especially given your stance on the RMT.

To paraphrase someone on the Internet, "You roll a character on a pvp server for the sole reason that you can be a total jerk to people."

I certainly didn't roll up a character for that reason. I also play a game most people consider far more hardcore than the PvP WoW servers.

I rolled up to challenge and be challenged. There's a real charm to a game that has actual resources to be fought over and controlled. You impact the world in the way instancing just can't allow.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

Deathright

Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:13 pm

where can I find a video of this?
Network theory sucks.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:23 pm

Deathright: First post of the thread, this was the link.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:28 pm

PerfectCr wrote:
Like I asked before, is there any proof someone even actually died here? How do we know this is not some sick joke? Where is newspaper obit?

I forgot the name but I googled it and read the obit. That website I linked earlier has it, it's a forum for the Illidan server.

Ryu Connor wrote:
I rolled up to challenge and be challenged. There's a real charm to a game that has actual resources to be fought over and controlled. You impact the world in the way instancing just can't allow.
I agree that some people, you included, may be that way. I havent played on a pvp server myself and I won't. But I think a significant portion is in the "jerk" category.

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:06 pm

Honestly if that guild wanted to do something together it should have been out of game. Its nice to remember someone like that but dang it's a GAME!

Would it have been better to be in a chat room or someplace the dead guy spent a lot of his time? Guild members are rarely near eachother geographicly so it's either an online memorial or nothing. Also the person you see every day isn't the person they are in RL it's their character, saying goodbye to the character they know is kinda normal to me....

I have come to realize that the average age and or maturity level of most people in WoW is around 12.

Why I stick with EQ...it's not a game new people play anymore so the maturity level is steadily going up

In the physical sense, yeah. But in a game, no. The idiots could have atleast gotten onto a non PvP server just to be sure.

as far as I know you can't just move to a new server instantly.

On my EQ server we had one of our server legends who died, thankfully we're not pvp....and well anyone of any power on the server respected him so there wasn't really an issue of any distruption
X2 3800+ @ 2.3, 2GB Mushkin pc3200, Lanparty Ultra-D, X850XT @ 560/585

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:14 pm

Also, as I understand, one of the dead player's favorite spots was where they held the funeral, and that's why they held it there, rather than in a safe area.

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:14 pm

I had a friend that died and he was a biker, his biker friends went on a ride in his honor.

People do things to honor the dead that they shared or respected the person for. If your only contact with another person was through a game on the internet then I see no harm in doing it. People who throw the “It is only a game” thing around are the ones that typically don’t understand what a game really is. This is “only the internet”. This is “only a forum”. If you can talk about someone dieing on a forum I see no difference doing it on a game.

Civility etc. should not disappear simply because you can hide behind anonymity on a forum or a game. Those who admit to being idiots on online games simply because it is a *game* are still idiots. You are still acting childish and the medium that you use to do it doesn’t change what you are doing.

Killing is different. If I play a basketball game it doesn’t make me a basketball player in real life. Purposely being an ass to another player that is controlled by another human still makes you an ass. If I kill a group of pixels I am not killing a person. When someone jumps on my corpse in a game I don’t think they are jumping on my corpse in real life and I do not believe they would given the opportunity. They do it out of spite and to be an ass.

You are the only ones that I see that have a problem distinguishing a game from reality. A keyboard and a mouse does not magically give you the right to be an ass, we don’t warp to a imaginary land where we no longer adhere to our morals. “but but but it isn’t real life111” Why isn’t it, you are sitting on your couch or in your computer chair and you are still controlling your muscles to perform the tasks. Something like this would be pre meditated; people actually had to think this ambush through. They had to use their real minds and not the imaginary ones you seem to think you possess where any thoughts “don’t count”.

That is like attacking someone by writing it on a piece of paper with ink and exclaiming it isn’t real and doesn’t count because it is just paper and ink. It doesn’t change what you did, it only changed how you did it.

Having said that, I don’t think the people doing the ‘funeral’ should be upset. I think they should just do it again. They can get annoyed of course, I am sure it is quite hard to get all of the people together in the same spot at the same time. And they can get annoyed simply because this was symbolic and crashing a symbolic practice is still rude.

This is where the term “it is only a game” actually applies, they can hit reset (figuratively speaking of course) and do it again but this time do it secretly or maybe do it with a small group of people *at* the spot in question and then publicly announce one that is held in a safe area. If anything they should just accept that “this is life” and people will be idiots even if that means lying to their selves and others by trying to hide it with euphemisms like “it is only a game”.

So personally I don’t think it is a huge deal one way or the other. I found no humor in it at all and see no reason for it to be humorous. I find no reason to be sad or upset either though other than it confirming that people don’t understand what a game is and think it is an excuse to be fracktards.

Those wanting a obituary miss the point entirely. Who cares. It is nothing more than a discussion on the principle now. I don’t think there is any question that people would actually do this given the chance so a obituary posting is useless.
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.

Wintermane
Gerbil Elite

Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:32 am

Stripe7 wrote:
You are assuming the killers and murderers and insane psychopaths have nothing else to do {like killing people IRL} than play WOW. Also, lots of people from Europe and Asia play on the US servers. Kind of hard to track down someone when they are anonnymous.

These are wow players so um they dont have a real life:)

Also they arnt annon they made a vid and posted it and that vid can be back tracked and very likely they boasted about it to friends and so on.
AS I always tell the people I care about.. its ok to piss people off as long as they CANT find you. As soon as you lose that be very careful who you piss off. I know of several instances where someone did in fact track down and maim/murder someone due to online slights.
If at first you dont succeed use a bigger hammer.

Shintai

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:32 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Shintai wrote:
So you support me coming to a movie theater and answering my cell phone during the movie? You support me being loud and obnoxious in a bar or restaurant?

Asshats think they have a free ticket to do whatever they want in the game world. Purposefully wrecking someone's game, quests, etc, (there are many forms of griefing) is just like being an ass in a movie theater or anywhere else.

And what is the point of ganking? Yeah, I could one-shot anything less than lvl 45 or so, but I gain no honor, not even an HK, it's just me flexing my e-peen. I don't understand the point of ganking. And I know some people get off on beating the hell out of someone with 2 of their friends, just like people are bullies in real life, fighting in a situation where they most likely can't be hurt.

This is all my opinion, of course.

No if you absolutely wanna draw a parallel here then do it correct!
We both goto the cinema, but because one the 20000 people that visit the same cinema died, we all sit and do nothing in 5minutes and miss the same 5minutes of the movie we all payed for. And the only people "brining the cellphone" is actually the people holding this funeral crap, because its them that disturb the rest of the people. Not vise versa.

When you do something in PUBLIC you have to follow the PUBLIC rules. And in this case the PvP server rules. And in a cinema it would be not to disturb others, but a funeral sure would disturb EVERYONE.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:41 am

MMO's are nothing more than a microcosim of real life. Sure some may play to the extremes but thats what makes it interesting.

As for the naysayers who say its just some guy or girl at a keyboard in moms basement. Well yeah but I have developed some true friendships that move away from the PC into RL. In fact there are a couple of Husband and wife teams that I would consider good friends. If something should happen to one of them sure I would be upset.

As for the dude from Denmark thats says he supports Ganking....Please come visit me, I am on Lothar I bet I will give you a run for your money!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:00 am

Shintai wrote:
So get over it, keep real world problems to the real world and let the gankers gank in the fiction based entertainment world.

omfg so QFT!!!! i think the introduction of girls to this mmorpg realm has
created all this girly crap online.. i mean weddings inside a game? babies?
divorces? gimme a break. before girls playing these games, NOTHING
like that existed... i mean we were too busy trying to beat leisure suit larry! :wink:
––•–√\/––√\/––•–– nostalgia is an emotion for people with no future ––•–√\/––√\/––•–-

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:15 am

thegleek wrote:
omfg so QFT!!!! i think the introduction of girls to this mmorpg realm has
created all this girly crap online.. i mean weddings inside a game? babies?
divorces? gimme a break. before girls playing these games, NOTHING
like that existed... i mean we were too busy trying to beat leisure suit larry! :wink:

There's a difference between holding an online funeral/memorial/whatever for a dead player, and the ghey crap like what you're talking about. ;)

I would SO gank an MMORPG wedding. :lol:

But a memorial for an ACTUAL DEAD PERSON? If I played WoW, I'd be transferring my account to Illidan and joining a group to gank Serenity Now.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:17 am

Convert ++

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:15 am

Have we exhausted the societal issue arising from this event? If so, and the thread is going to devolve into a comparison of MMORPGs, I'll send this to the Gaming forum where it would then belong.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Materiel
Gerbil

Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:21 am

One of our WoW guild members died, and we just put up a classy memorial on our site and made a mention of it in our realm forum.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:26 am

edit: self censor cos Captain Ned forgot to split this one out. ;)
Last edited by derFunkenstein on Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:35 am

Temp locked until the feud can be split out and locked on its own. Hint: Don't start it up again here; take it to PM.

EDIT: Done. Keep your bitching to yourselves.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:56 am

Seems that we're down to MMORPG comparisons, so off to Gaming this goes.