Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Felix
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

WoW player dies in real life, online funeral ambushed...

Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:36 am

sircharles32
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:24 am

I feel that it was rather insensitive and immature of that group to do what they did. They are obviously a group of prepubescent punks, that have no sense of decency. I realize that it's a game, but the game is large enough so that those involved could have gone else where to cause mayhem and destruction, and leave the memorial service be.

Just my 2 cents.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:50 am

FWIW this happened about a month ago, It was a PvP server so they knew it was coming.

Honestly if that guild wanted to do something together it should have been out of game. Its nice to remember someone like that but dang it's a GAME!

Besides there are many other places they could have gone to and not been interrupted. Any of the large capital cities would stave off any attempts of a attacking raid. They did it in the heart of winterspring with wide open defenseless areas.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Wintermane
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:00 am

Yes but the group that did it likely will find themsevles blacklisted and then exterminated. Most likely even as we speak hackers are closing in on them.
If at first you dont succeed use a bigger hammer.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:24 am

Wintermane wrote:
Yes but the group that did it likely will find themsevles blacklisted and then exterminated. Most likely even as we speak hackers are closing in on them.

Riiiighhhtttt :roll:
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:08 am

Still, it's kinda sick.

While the offenders shouldn't get banned, I feel that they should get some in-game punishment.

Like the other players taking advantage of the PvP, too, and going after these blowhards.

pepys
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:30 am

The music on the vid is pretty cool. Mozart and rock - outstanding!

Shintai
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:56 am

When you hold ingame memorials or whatever, you just passed the limit where you need to snap out of it. 10 points to the gankers! They make me proud!

HARRR!

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:02 am

bhtooefr wrote:
Still, it's kinda sick.

While the offenders shouldn't get banned, I feel that they should get some in-game punishment.

Like the other players taking advantage of the PvP, too, and going after these blowhards.

Aww come on! YOU CHOSE TO PLAY ON THE PvP SERVER! You reap what you sow. If you didn't like the way a PvP server is ran then you had 2 other choices, RPPvE or PvE and a plethora of those servers!

They did nothing wrong.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:04 am

Had I happened upon it. I would have started at the front and murdered all, starting witht he dearly deceased. It's an insult to him to say that the best you could do was an IN GAME funeral. Silly.

I doubt there will be any retribution, it looked like good old fashioned world PVP to me.

080119-deactivated
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:11 am

Its kinda sad from those guys who set up the memorial... I mean, its a game, and if this was in real life, this would have happened too. Just look at the places around Indonesia, there are still pirates, no matter your rowing in a little boat as a kid of 5 with 1million$ or in a big yacht and super rich 50 year old person, they will rob everyone. So iot goes in real life.

This reminds me of the guy who suicided a month ago or so. He was playing Runescape, but his best friend stole his key. The guy freaked the hell out and hung is self in his room. He was 14 years old. And that in this little country :lol:. He played it for 7 years or so, dont know anymore.

Things happening in real life can happen in games, but also things happening in games can happen in real life. And if you dont think about that and just make the best possibility to make others kill you... well, thats your own fault IMO :roll:. Maybe they should have made new characters playing as guard :lol:.
EVE-Online
Corporation: Nexus Legion
Alliance: NxT LeveL

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:13 am

Yeah but still the punks could have waited till the group had finished the memorial and slaughtered them after that.

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:17 am

Should they have done it? No. Should they be punished? No, it's a game, one people take way too seriously. Besides, this group of punks will get whats coming to them. I'm sure other guilds (clans, or whatever they're called in wow) will target them.
Twitter: @xmunos

Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:18 am

Call me immature but I laughed HARD at that. Granted, if that were my dad, I'd be pissed, but it's not so I can laugh and laugh and laugh. How could something set up like a funeral online not get stomped on by punks?

Come on people, you're having an online funeral. If you want to pay your respects, send a card to his wife and/or family, don't give him all your mana and cast Divine Intervention. He ain't coming back.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:24 am

5150 wrote:
Call me immature but I laughed HARD at that. Granted, if that were my dad, I'd be pissed, but it's not so I can laugh and laugh and laugh. How could something set up like a funeral online not get stomped on by punks?

Come on people, you're having an online funeral. If you want to pay your respects, send a card to his wife and/or family, don't give him all your mana and cast Divine Intervention. He ain't coming back.

Bwhahaa ^^ Sig worthy.

firestorm02
Gerbil First Class

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:27 am

I may be an insensitive basterd but, dang, that made me laugh.
A64 X2 4200 @2.4GHz (939|90nm) | ABIT AV8 K8T800 PRO | Visiontek 3850AGP | 3GB OCZ DDR3200 Dual-Ch| RAPTOR 36.7GB SATA | WD 320GB SATA | NEC 16X DVD+RW DL | LG 16X DVD | Zalman CNPS9500 LED | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 600W OCZ StealthXStream

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:13 am

I laughed at the concept, mearly because nobody would EVER raid a real memorial service,An online one is basically a buffet of noobs waiting to be pwned.

It would have been better if they used the dead guy's charicter to fend off the attackers, but they were pretty strong.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:19 am

They should have held the funeral in a non-contested zone obviously. There are a lot of people haters in MMO's anyway, and I imagine it's that much worse on a pvp server. To paraphrase someone on the Internet, "You roll a character on a pvp server for the sole reason that you can be a total jerk to people."

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:24 am

Good thing I never play online too often. The huge lag due to my connection makes my gun go off after a second after I shoot. Obviously, I miss the fellow and he frags me like I am a sissy girl :evil:

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:50 am

axeman wrote:
Seconded. Not because someone dying is funny, but a "funeral" in a MMORPG is so lame. Get a real life. Geez.
I was thinking "get a real death" myself

this kind of reminds me of diablo2 when a friend of mine whispered me telling me someone was holding their game hostage. The y were pretty far, didn't want to start over, didn't want help with the quest, just wanted to get this jerk out of the game. I went in with my barbarian with this equip (as much as I can remember)

etherial Ith sword with 40/15 jewels and knockback rune (by far the best weapon ever. extremely hacked... take the 6 socket runeword thingy and take out the runes (but keep the modifications) and replace with more goodies)

.08 valor (+2 skills, +2 vitality/level, tons of armor) Gives you a lot of life at any level, especially level 99
grimjaw helm (I think this is what I was using, life steal/mana steal/damage reduction
stormshield (I don't remember what I had in the socket)
raven frost ring + some other good ring
+2 barb skills ammulet with teleport charges... tele+worlwind=kill anything (even people with teleport, as I had knockback... once I get a hit, you're dead.
I also had an inventory that was full of damage/life.
I flipped my inventory to dual +3 warcry swords for boosting my life up a ton.

essentially there were no chars that could kill me 1v1, and often larger groups of people had trouble making me retreat.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:27 am

PerfectCr wrote:
Forgive me, I don't play MMOs and never will, but how would the attackers know that this other group was attending a "funeral"? I use quotes because it's an online game afterall, not sure it can really be called a funeral.
They may have posted a notification in a forum somewhere. Word gets around...some people have multiple accounts, if we want to get fanciful they could even have a guild traitor with a gripe.

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:50 am

PerfectCr wrote:
Hawkwing74 wrote:
PerfectCr wrote:
Forgive me, I don't play MMOs and never will, but how would the attackers know that this other group was attending a "funeral"? I use quotes because it's an online game afterall, not sure it can really be called a funeral.
They may have posted a notification in a forum somewhere. Word gets around...some people have multiple accounts, if we want to get fanciful they could even have a guild traitor with a gripe.

That's pretty sad. I don't mean upsetting, I mean pathetic, as in, get a life. (not you, the MMO people)

:lol:

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:24 pm

I have come to realize that the average age and or maturity level of most people in WoW is around 12. :roll:
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

Zenith
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:36 pm

This, according to Penny-Arcade, pretty much describes most peoples behavior in online games. I agree.
I have discovered that all human evils come from this, man's inability to sit still in a room. ~Blaise Pascal

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:48 pm

Zenith wrote:
This, according to Penny-Arcade, pretty much describes most peoples behavior in online games. I agree.

That accurately a persons behaviour. Anonymity more than audience is what makes people total dipsh**s. And add to this, that people are watching you and that enough to catalyse some crazy stuff.

wirerogue
Gerbil First Class

Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:51 pm

i can't stop laughing. it warms my heart to know there are other people in the world as sick and twisted as myself.

FubbHead
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:27 pm

Omg... What a lag... Glad I never started playing WoW...
Amiga 1200, [email protected], 4MB+2MB RAM, Conner 80MB harddrive

ChangWang
Gerbil First Class

Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:31 pm

am I the only one that didn't find this funny at all?

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:33 pm

ChangWang wrote:
am I the only one that didn't find this funny at all?
No.

RoninGyrbill
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:48 pm

PRIME1 wrote:
I have come to realize that the average age and or maturity level of most people in WoW is around 12. :roll:

stfu n00b! LFG to bring me through WC. I get lewts. you in? :lol:

I can't believe I find this news story funny, but I do.