cheese?
3 (50%)

Total votes: 6

Popobumm
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Korean MMOs...worth waiting for?

Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:09 pm

As much as I love WoW, FFXI and other American/Japanese MMOs, I have to admit I have always been intrigued by the Korean games. Sure that probably is just because of their visual aspects, but what can I say? I like my women hot and scantily-clad, armor to be badass, and enemies to look incredibly intimidating.

However, gameplay usually stinks up the wazoo. (prime example, Lineage 2)

So there seems to be another wave of Korean games coming thanks to companies such as Webzen, and I have to admit the new Sun Online (Soul of the Ultimate Nation) looks pretty badass. Gameplay sounds like a mix of DDO, GW, and Diablo...which I guess could be good.

http://pc.ign.com/objects/743/743360.html

Anyway, so should we even bother anticipating these Korean MMOs or should I just invest my time in getting a lvl 60 WoW character? I don't want to be disappointed like I was with LII again...
Athlon 64 3500+, XFX 7800 GT, 1GB Corsair XMS, Abit AN8 SLi, Seagate 250Gb SATA, NEC ND-3550A, Antec P-180

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Re: Korean MMOs...worth waiting for?

Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:18 pm

Popobumm wrote:
Anyway, so should we even bother anticipating these Korean MMOs or should I just invest my time in getting a lvl 60 WoW character?
You can't anticipate while playing WoW?

Capsaicin
Gerbil XP

Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:19 pm

Popobumm wrote:
Anyway, so should we even bother anticipating these Korean MMOs or should I just invest my time in getting a lvl 60 WoW character? I don't want to be disappointed like I was with LII again...

WoW plays better than LII. If you want something a bit more short term with even better controls (IMO), try Guild Wars.

What I want (from games I've played):
FFXI character design+story
LII style+emotes
AC2 movement+camera+interface
GW/EQ2 instancing

It's not all the aspects of a MMO, but it's a start. :D

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:48 pm

That's like asking a crack addict if they anticipate a fun time with black tar heroin.

WoW, 42 days and counting, on one character. :cry:

Stripe7
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:54 pm

Already playing;

Shattered Galaxy, http://www.sgalaxy.com, which is a MMO/RTS that is based on a Korean MMO.

Just started playing Travian http://www.travian.com which is a web based MMO strategy game ported over from a German MMO.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:02 pm

I have alot of fun with Lineage II.

For its' faults I really don't think there is an MMO with a better political and open PvP system right now. You can truely impact the world around you.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

Popobumm
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:24 pm

mattsteg wrote:
Popobumm wrote:
Anyway, so should we even bother anticipating these Korean MMOs or should I just invest my time in getting a lvl 60 WoW character?
You can't anticipate while playing WoW?

Well, I guess I could..but the motivation just isn't there if my mind is thinking about the next great MMO. Don't wanna make a lvl 60 just to stop playing half a year from now...

and with LII...I had a decent time with it, until I played WoW and DDO. LII has just waaay too much grinding and farming. Sure you can impact the world around you and PVP freely all day...once u get high enough lvl. Its a pain getting that high though =/
Athlon 64 3500+, XFX 7800 GT, 1GB Corsair XMS, Abit AN8 SLi, Seagate 250Gb SATA, NEC ND-3550A, Antec P-180