Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

VTNC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

X² and X³ available on Steam; now without Starforce

Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:25 pm

If you wanted to play X²: The Threat or X³: Reunion and was put off by the copy protection (Starforce), now's the time to buy it. It's on Steam and X² is $15 and X³ is $20 and there's a 10% off until this friday.

If you don't know what and is, you can check out their respective wikipedia articles.

To give a better description of what the game is like, I'd say that it's what Freelancer could have been if it achieved its full potential: buncha ships, a plethora of customizations, a real economy motivated by buyers and sellers, and you can even have your own station(s). To get an idea of what you're able to do, here's another player's story:
I once "erradicated" the Paranid race. I simultaneously invaded 8 of their outer sectors with 9 fully equipped destroyers and 8 fully equipped carrier ships, each carrying 60 fighters and accompanied by an assortment of smaller support vessels. The nineth destroyer was my personal ship Then I invaded their core sectors. The whole ordeal took 4 hours or so, but by then I had destroyed every single Paranid ship and station in the game. They do respawn after a while, slowly. By setting up patrols within those sectors I was able to keep them down indefinitely though.
The ships were bought from the Paranid, but the weapons were all produced by myself in a gigantic weapon production complex consisting of roughly 50 stations.

That was pretty f-ing epic, but I doubt I'll ever have the patience to go through with this again.

Building the weapon complex and connecting all the stations and setting up transport ships for supply and delivery between this complex and other complexes took at least a week. Getting enough money for the battleships was a whole other issue. For example, 240 medium fighters cost more than you can actually have, the limit is hard coded at 2 billion credits for some reason. I spent weeks buying weapons and selling them to equipment stations throughout the galaxy from the npc stations and supplying them with secondary resources so that they would produce faster, by building stations next to them to fill in supply niches. I had to practically rebuild the entire galactic economy just so that I could buy and sell weapons to get enough money to spent on the fighters.

The other problem was that the game doesn't really have the functionality to assign homebases to the fighter ships in bulk. So, I had to write my own scripts to assign the fighters to the carriers and automatically rename them so that I could identify which fighter belonged where.

I also had used two "unknown" sectors as staging areas, where I had build 9 equipment docks to dock the capital ships for faster refuiling. Aligning these was a huge bitch, so I had to write a script to do this properly too.

Never again (It was fun though)

thecoldanddarkone
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:34 pm

Warning you, it takes forever to beat that game. Forever... Well at least it did for me to beat x2 the threat, I am assuming x3 is longer by the way it seems to be layed out.
When I beat x2 I had one capital ship and a biggest attack ship, with some guys. I lost my capital ship with my (I think 6 ships) in the end it got torn to shreds in the last level. However, my attack ship did just fine.
It must have taken forever for that guy to beat that game, he literally had fleets of guys... :o
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix [email protected] , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

Gandhi
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:18 pm

I never could get in to X2 - that interface was way too messy and unintuitive. ****, I think command lines would have worked better then that crap interface that was on the shipping version. Never did hang around long enough to see whether they updated that interface.

Oh yeah, the game starts off real sloooooooooowwwwww.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:22 pm

Gandhi wrote:
I never could get in to X2 - that interface was way too messy and unintuitive. ****, I think command lines would have worked better then that crap interface that was on the shipping version. Never did hang around long enough to see whether they updated that interface.

Oh yeah, the game starts off real sloooooooooowwwwww.

Seconded, I had both and sold both. Both have steeeeeep learning curves, and the interface is pretty lousy. If it takes me more than a few hours to get the hand of my UI, i'd rather not play it.

Starforce does suck though :wink:

thecoldanddarkone
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:23 pm

Like he said, its a very long BEGINNING. If someone gives up its usually in the beggining its really that long. Its not so bad after that point, (In fact I suggest saving it after you have some money and reloading if you decide to play it again). Overall I enjoyed x2, however its not for the faint hearted. However, you could download a guy at the very beggining hacked for max money, or at least enough money to buy a ship.
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix [email protected] , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd