Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Got a Wii wOOt

Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:15 pm

Whee! My parents got me a Wii for my birthday! So far, I just have Wii Sports and I picked up Wii Play for the extra controller. SWMBO made me pick up the accessories pack with the steering wheel, tennis racket, golf club & bat as well. It's been a lot of fun so far.

In case anyone is curious about the sensor bar, the cord wasn't long enough to reach to the screen on my projector setup. So I picked up a wireless sensor bar from Nextronics. It's essentially an AC/DC converter attached to an IR flashlight. :) But it works great and I don't have a wire snaking across the room. The next step is to mount it to the bottom of the projector screen, instead of setting it on the subwoofer.

Anyway... love the unit. I'm going to have to slow down on my game purchases though... it's been an expensive month.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:00 am

My brother-in-law has the same wireless sensor bar and it works great for him, too.

Welcome to the Wii Club! :)
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:11 am

Thank you! I already went and added everyone in the Wii Console Number Exchange thread. Alas... nobody has added me yet. :(

Which I can understand. I'm a right bastard on these forums sometimes. ;)
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:53 pm

that's alright - if I have a code in that thread, it's changed. When I got my Wii "fixed" it actually got replaced. As soon as I get around to it, I"ll update it and add people from here. :D
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:21 pm

I never think to check the codes much. I need to sit down and update my list.
I was married in an online fantasy game once. We thought about having children, but it would severely drain my power crystals.

- Comic Book Guy

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:57 pm

Just finished No More Heroes. I started the day this morning ranked fifth and I just got hooked today. It tasted good to my gaming palette. It's not going to take you that long to finish - it took me 12 hours and 17 minutes, and I screwed around for quite a while. Got to see both endings (actually, I got to see the good ending right off the bat because I met the requirement for it, and went back for the crappy one - which was crappy). If you haven't played it you NEED to. As for me I need to return it to my brother-in-law. Thanks Dan!

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:19 am

Played some more Wii Tennis. Lost pretty bad to my friend. But at least I did better then when we played on a real court beforehand. I really need to learn how to serve.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:58 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Played some more Wii Tennis. Lost pretty bad to my friend. But at least I did better then when we played on a real court beforehand. I really need to learn how to serve.

Yeah, I found out that I got beat by people that I know for sure have lesser ball control on the real court. :-?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:39 am

Well just like in the real game, practice really makes a huge difference.

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:20 pm

Good to hear derFunk. That's one that I wanted to check out. Alas, my gaming has slumped lately, and I'm not playing much of anything. Getting backed up on titles I want to play. Might have to do the monthly Blockbuster thing this summer so I can try them all.
I was married in an online fantasy game once. We thought about having children, but it would severely drain my power crystals.

- Comic Book Guy

dragmor
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu May 08, 2008 9:16 pm

I'm still waiting for Brawl to be released but the Wife picked up Wii Fit and its much better than I thought it would be. I don't think I'll be using all the features, but I will use the user tracking (weight, bmi, center of gravity), the yoga and the muscle tests (for the balance practice). Wonder if it will improve my surfing.

The Wife's center of gravity is perfect i.e. always on the center dot (but years of Wing Chun will do that). Mine is 48/52 and a little bit back (since I surf regular foot that makes sense). But I'd be happier with a more neutral balance.

Note: Wii Fit seems to be a very eastern idea of fitness, mostly about balance, core muscles and smooth movements like Tai Chi.
SZ87R6/i5 4560 stock/24GB 2333mhz/840 Evo 250GB/Seagate 2TB/ASUS 760GTX/Dell 2711
Rainbows lie in corded knots
While thunder wakes the sleeping crocs.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu May 08, 2008 11:53 pm

I was actually looking at that. How about the different activities. Do they seem at all helpful from an exercise perspective? (ie if you had 30-45 minutes/day to exercise at all, would it be worth doing any of it through that?)

Optimally what I'd want is a way to hook up a stationary bike or a treadmill or a stair-stepper to a computer/console and then do racing games against other computers. I get bored with exercise, which is why I don't do it other than sports.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun May 18, 2008 10:03 am

Finally got a Wii!! Picked it up while I was in Houston visiting the parents--the bro and I went to best buy to get a PC game for my brother, and saw a ton of wii's. Only problem is now everyone is sold out of all the good games--I checked two WalMarts and a best buy in houston, and the Best buy, circuit city and two walmarts here in amarillo. No RE4, no ANY mario games, etc. The only interesting game I saw was bully. So for now I'm just messing around with wii sports getting a feel for the controller. Unless anyone else has ideas?
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon May 19, 2008 6:23 am

Amazon?

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:28 pm

So, we got a wii. I'm going to look over this thread tonight and see what games people like but I wanted to know: is there a volleyball game for this thing that isn't just a pixelated strip tease?
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:02 am

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/sports/voll ... index.html

OK, seriously.

http://www.wiispin.com/2008/04/14/deca- ... olleyball/

Haven't played either one, no plans to. But if it's volleyball you crave...

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:33 pm

Based on all of you talking about it, and playing with one this weekend, I bought a Wii today. This thing is way cool. I have it on my wireless network and everything. I can check news and weather on it. I got Zelda for it. About to go try it.

Any other good games for it I need to look into?
I wish I had gone to med school.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:00 pm

idchafee wrote:
Is there a volleyball game... that isn't just a pixelated strip tease?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_or_Al ... Volleyball
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_or_Alive_Xtreme_2
I have no idea. :P

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:05 am

Swamp, anything with Mario in the title is generally worth looking at. Mario Kart and Mario Galaxy are two of my favorite games on the system.

I also like Geometry Wars Galaxies, and Wii Play is worth the $10 premium over just buying a spare remote. The minigames are really cool (especially the tank one).

My wife loves Cooking Mama. I love the virtual console. And if you have your Wii on the wireless network, the virtual console alone makes the system a must-have (and the Classic Controller is so excellent as well). Also, World of Goo on WiiWare is a real work of art and only $15 to boot. And finally, if you're a fan of Homestar Runner and point+click adventure games, there's an episodic StrongBad game.

My sister and her ex got one for my nephew, and they've been having fun with Boom Blox. I've also heard great stuff about deBlob, but I haven't played either first-hand.

My Wii is generally a retro box.

khands
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:33 pm

Noticed this little thread and thought I'd pop on over.

Had a Wii since it came out in the good ol US of A, DeBlob is deffinetly a keeper, music and gameplay type are ridiculously relaxing, even if it can be stubborn at times (jumping should've been the "A" button instead of flicking the controller).

Either way, enjoy.
X __________________________