Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Got a Wii wOOt

Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:29 am

Got a Wii last night so far it looks pretty cool :D

Pagey
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:33 am

Any chance of a little review concerning the Wiimote? I'm very curious as to how this will feel and work. Thanks! :D

Saeghwin
Gerbil First Class

Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:27 pm

My brother camped out last night and got one for my other brother's birthday on Tuesday. Then I went to Best Buy this morning just to see if they had any, but they didn't. Then the manager came up to me about 20 minutes later and said they just found one last system and they were holding it for me. So I went to go get it, and then they realized they had just sold it to someone else. :P
http://expirationdate.info - Forums for philosophy, lucid dreaming, gaming, and more! Come join now!

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:05 pm

I really want one, but due to gift giving and what not, am gonna wait till after Christmas. I am absolutely wanting to see a review. How does the controller work? any problems?
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

dragmor
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:00 pm

Can everyone that has got a Wii put some feedback on what the game play / Wiimote is actually like. I've got till December 8th to preorder and get a free game, but I want to make sure its worth it.
SZ87R6/i5 4560 stock/24GB 2333mhz/840 Evo 250GB/Seagate 2TB/ASUS 760GTX/Dell 2711
Rainbows lie in corded knots
While thunder wakes the sleeping crocs.

TheDVDMan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:11 pm

Ok, question: can you use regular (Gamecube) controllers with any of the games?

I'm almost tempted to get one because of the download service, and the new Far Cry.

But I'm not about to be waving a "controller" around in the air to try to aim.

I'm guessing none of Nintendo's own games will work with a normal controller, but what about the 3rd party ones?
[/posting]

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:27 pm

TheDVDMan wrote:

What on earth is wrong with you? :o

I'm just waiting for them to announce a Jedi Knight game with custom lightsaber controller. *drools*
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

BuddhistFish
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:37 pm

I haven't gotten one yet. Hopefully my employed will give out bonuses again this year, otherwise I'll have to wait until after Christmas.

One of my co-workers did get one, however. And he brought it in to work today, and hooked it up to one of the few Dell monitors around here with composite connections on it. I got to play around with it for a few minutes before I clocked in. Neat stuff. After only a few minutes the wiimote felt very natural. The motion sensing felt right in the Wiisports games. Boxing in particular was fun, where the position of the nun-chuck and Wiimote is important in guarding your body from hits. He also had Zelda with him, which I spent a few minutes running around in. He wasn't a point where I could engage in any battles, but I did get a chance to swing the sword at some cattle. The sword, and the fishing pole, feel very natural to use.

Overall, I was very impressed. He's very lucky I didn't crack him over the head and dispose of his body under the raised tile floor in the data center. :lol:
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Re: Got a Wii wOOt

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:41 pm

Hance wrote:

Does this mean the HDTV is out the window for another year :lol:
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Got a Wii wOOt

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:59 pm

Hance wrote:

You are a very bad person. You taunt me with words and not pictures!
Twitter: @xmunos

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:17 pm

I played the Wii at a friend's house tonight. It was pretty fun playing Wii sports, except I accidentally dinged his controller against his bed post :roll: oops!

Gungir
Gerbil Elite

Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:33 pm

Two gents in my residence hall camped for the Wii.

The first thing that struck me was the size of the thing. I'd heard no reports, and was pretty much expecting a vertical N64, but it's not much larger than a VHS cassette.

I played Wii Sports with a group for a while. The controller is very smooth, but it does require some distance between the user and the sensor bar to work well. The bar is a little plastic strip with sensors that apparently triangulate on the controllers. Offhand, it's about 1cm deep, 0.5cm tall, and 10cm long - just right for sticking on top of a TV.

The controller is remarkably intuitive. The two owners were using them like pros inside ten minutes of picking them up, and the feel of them is extremely good. I have colossal hands, and the reviewers are pretty average, but we both thought the fit of the controllers and tactile response of the buttons was superb. According to the users, the motion is precise, and quickly becomes intuitive. One commented that it was great to get motion back into games. Immediately after playing with the Wii for a little while, I went back to another room ans used a Gamecube. That's when it really hit me what a revolution the Wii's controller is.
Asus A8N32-SLI - AMD X2 4200+ @ 2.7GHz - 2 x 1GB Corsair PC-3500LL @ 266MHz, 3-3-3-6 - SLI 7800GTs @ 505/1206 - Corsair HX620 PSU - Cooler Master RC-690

The two great evils of system tuning: YMMV and IIRC.

Gandhi
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:48 pm

Of the three next-gen consoles, the Wii has me most interested and the one I would buy if I were in the market for one. Sure, it does not have the latest wiz-bang graphics chip in it, but the Wii-mote has some endless gameplay cossibilities. And it seems the early reports indicate the actual experience lives up to the hype.

May be by this time next year the price has come down a bit for me to convince the wife that I absolutely *need* one of these. Good to see Nintendo going back to its roots and focusing on the gaming experience rather then bullet pint list to put on the gamebox.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:54 pm

I am going to try to get a Wii for this holiday season! ;)

I already saw a demo unit of it. It is about as large as a external optical drive. The local EB Games didn't have it setup completely though.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:08 pm

Got mine this morning. It's flippin sweet. Unfortunatly, the rumor I heard was not true, and the component cables for Gamecube are not compatable. Not a big deal. The remote feels great. I've played Zelda all afternoon. The remote only has to be directly pointed at the tv/sensor area when targeting with the cursor. Otherwise, I think I can play from the other room. And ok, yea, it doesn't have the graphics capability of the PS3 or 360. But Zelda looks good, and I have no doubt many other games will look good too.

DVDMan; to answer your question. Yes, some games have the option of using the Gamecube comtroller. Like Metal Slug Anthology, for example. I can't give you a list of games it's compatable with, I just know that one cause I watched some video footage of it.
I was married in an online fantasy game once. We thought about having children, but it would severely drain my power crystals.

- Comic Book Guy

NeRve
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:56 pm

Aww snap - Zelda TP is going to kick ass with the Wii... Especially when testing my virtual sword swinging prowess - I'm going to wait for hype to die down to I could get one just by walking into Wally-World without running into a metal pole....

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:17 am

I dont have time to type anything very detailed right now but I can say that the Wii is AWSOME. I had a couple of friends over one is an avid gamer the other isnt and they both loved the Wii. I also had my parents over to check it out they are both in their mid sixties and they both loved it. They were able to pick up and use the controls just as well as I can with in minutes. The Wii is a PERFECT 10 in my book so far. I will see if I have time to type up something a little more detailed tomorrow when I get home from work but right now I gotta go toss a cow and shoot some rabbids with a plunger :lol:

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:31 am

Wonder if my family wouldn't mind waiting on their Christmas presents till January so I can get a Wii......

As another poster thought up, and from the reports I've been hearing, a Jedi Knight game or something to do with swinging lightsabers would be amazing. That would be a killer game at ANY party.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:56 am

TheDVDMan wrote:
Guess you didn't like Duck Hunt back in the days? Zelda is sort of 3rd person, so it can be done I think.

NeRve wrote:
Aww snap - Zelda TP is going to kick ass with the Wii... Especially when testing my virtual sword swinging prowess - I'm going to wait for hype to die down to I could get one just by walking into Wally-World without running into a metal pole....
Same here, the E3 demo showed the arrow/grappling hook shooting and it definitely looked fun. Then, lightsaber controller here I come for the Star Wars title! Daamit Lucas Arts get to work!
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

BuddhistFish
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:17 am

I found the warnings at the beginning of the Wii sports, to be careful to hit anyone around with you the controller, very amusing.
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:34 am

Wow. Just wow.

I played the baseball Wii Sports for ~5 minutes while passing through a dorm lounge on my way to doing homework, and it was incredible. First time in my life I've ever actually wanted a console.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:32 am

It'll be interesting to see if the novelty of the controller wears off in a few months. I'll check back then.

Pagey
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:00 am

Anything that could make playing a FPS or an RPG easier on a console gets a huge vote from this uncoordinated, skinny white boy! :lol: I'll of course have to try out a Wii to know for sure, but from the way things sound, this might be the first console that I could actually play and enjoy.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:55 am

Pagey wrote:
Anything that could make playing a FPS or an RPG easier on a console gets a huge vote from this uncoordinated, skinny white boy!

Mouse and keyboard would be nice.

Pagey
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:56 am

Vrock wrote:
Pagey wrote:
Anything that could make playing a FPS or an RPG easier on a console gets a huge vote from this uncoordinated, skinny white boy!

Please tell me that someone has developed a mouse/keyboard combo for a console. How difficult would that be? :-?

Fighthouse
Gerbil Elite

Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:59 am

I got my Wii yesterday after standing in my fourth line. I bought Zelda with it, and as everyone knows it comes bundled with Wii Sports. I started off by making my Mii (an internal character that you can feature in some of the consoles games, including Sports), and I was surprised of how much it looked like me. I could even put a mole on my face! Anyway after some updates ands screwing around I tried some boxing. The graphics are pretty cartoony, but the sensors in the controllers were amazing. If I held them together and tilted them forward, they would guard my midsection. If flipped a controller left or right, it would throw a left or right hook, respectively. After this test drive I then continued to play Zelda...for 7 hours. Its a pretty sweet game, graphics are about par with the gamecube, but the controls make it effin suweet.

BTW one innovation in this system that I really appreciate is that the Wii-mote has a power button on it, so you can turn the console on or off from your couch!
Does not compute

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:47 am

Fighthouse wrote:
BTW one innovation in this system that I really appreciate is that the Wii-mote has a power button on it, so you can turn the console on or off from your couch!

OMG, hell yes. I love that button! You wouldn't think much of it, but it is sooo nice.
I was married in an online fantasy game once. We thought about having children, but it would severely drain my power crystals.

- Comic Book Guy

VaTech Hokie

Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:07 am

I got my Wii from Toys r us yesterday morning, had to wait outside 1.5 hours before the store opened but i got one! Its awesome, red steel is incredible, and even my girlfriend loves wii sports. The bowling game is a dead on simulation of the real thing, it even hooks the same way it does in real life when i use my same throwing motion. Heck I even got my dad to play the baseball game. I also bought zelda and the GT racing game with the wheel, I cannot believe how responsive it is. In fact everything is incredibly responsive, they really did an incredible job with the controllers. Wii for the win, I am incredibly happy with the decision to buy one.

No i just need to buy some gamecube controllers, some games, and a gamecube memory card (there is a slot for two cards and 4 gamecube controllers, well hidden when not in use). The fact that the normal system uses sd cards is a huge plus, as I rummaged around and found a 128 that will meet all my needs right in my desk.
Always Proud to be Hokie

VaTech Hokie

Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:11 am

Pagey wrote:
Vrock wrote:
Pagey wrote:

Please tell me that someone has developed a mouse/keyboard combo for a console. How difficult would that be? :-?

well it has 2 usb ports in the back, i wonder if it will accept normal keyboard?
Always Proud to be Hokie

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:12 am

Over enthusiastic gamers be warned. :lol: :lol: Wii claims first victim - a 60-inch TV Sad news :(