Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Call of Duty 4

Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:35 pm

Picked it up today. Holy crap. Don't stand still, or you're dead. Every mission I've played so far has been as intense as the demo. Just got thru playing gunner aboard an AC 130 gunship. Really cool stuff. Anyone else get it yet?
I was married in an online fantasy game once. We thought about having children, but it would severely drain my power crystals.

- Comic Book Guy

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:51 pm

It's on my short list! The demo was way fun!
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:06 pm

I'm gonna pick it up on Friday.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:44 am

December 8th. My last exam. Of course I'll also have to choose between Crysis, UT3, SimCity Societies, *Ninja edit* Gears of War, HL2:Ep2, NFS:ProStreet. Sigh, school is evil.
Last edited by Sargent Duck on Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:42 am

Sargent Duck wrote:
December 8th. My last exam. Of course I'll also have to choose between Crysis, UT3, SimCity Societies, Crysis, HL2:Ep2, NFS:ProStreet. Sigh, school is evil.

You'll regret prostreet compared to the others, go for ut3 can't go wrong.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

FubbHead
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:25 am

I've just preordered Mass Effect. That, and I'm no big fan of FPS on console. :)
Amiga 1200, 68020@28MHz, 4MB+2MB RAM, Conner 80MB harddrive

mongoosesRawesome
Gerbil XP

Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:32 am

Sargent Duck wrote:
December 8th. My last exam. Of course I'll also have to choose between Crysis, UT3, SimCity Societies, Crysis, HL2:Ep2, NFS:ProStreet. Sigh, school is evil.

Looks like a tough choice between Crysis or Crysis... :P
Last edited by mongoosesRawesome on Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pongo
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:20 pm

Sargent Duck wrote:

Ep 2. first, then choose between the others. :D

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:38 pm

And....done! Just finished the campaign. Great story. I'll be playing thru it again.
I was married in an online fantasy game once. We thought about having children, but it would severely drain my power crystals.

- Comic Book Guy

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:04 pm

Multiplayer is as adicting as crack. You gain ranks, like levels. And as you go up in rank, you gain new weapons and abilities. Plus there's lots of challenges to complete to gain even more stuff.

- Comic Book Guy

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:13 pm

Jebus wrote:
And....done!
Wow!

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:15 pm

The demo makes me want an Eotech for my Ar. I can only image the desire will get worse once I start playing the full version of the game Which I bought today...as a birthday present to myself :D ).

king_kilr
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:23 pm

I'm probably going to be picking it up this weekend, I can't wait!
Damn the torpedoes , full speed ahead.

AMD X2 4200+, Asus A8N-E, 3GBs of RAM, 7900GS

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:03 am

Pongo wrote:
Sargent Duck wrote:

Ep 2. first, then choose between the others. :D

Ooops, should have been Gears of War in that second "Crysis". Yeah, I'm thinking Ep 2. as well, and then definitely GoW. I beat the first 2 acts on my friends xbox, and really really want to finish. Amazing gameplay. Should be even better with kb & mouse.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:38 pm

Just finished the campaign! All I can say is that this game is phenomenal! I started playing last night and couldn't get myself to stop.. and before I knew it, I stayed up the entire night and finished the game. :p The only disappointment I have with it is that it's too short! It took me a total of around 7 or 8 hours to complete on the second difficulty (forgot what it's called at the moment), though I think a person can finished it in about 4 to 5 hours, perhaps even less, if he/she knows what to do and where to go. I took that long because I was just putzing around and playing with the various weapons in the game, and basically having a blast at it. One of the coolest moments in the game I think would have to be the part where you man the cannon on the AC-130! If this were to happen in real life, I definitely do not want to be on the receiving end of that cannon. :P Pardon me, but I'm going to catch up on my sleep and then go through the campaign again on a higher difficulty.
Fold! And I don't mean your clothes!

Do you have a favorite gerbil recipe? Please share with the TR community!

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:12 pm

flybywire wrote:
One of the coolest moments in the game I think would have to be the part where you man the cannon on the AC-130! If this were to happen in real life, I definitely do not want to be on the receiving end of that cannon. :P
Yea, that was fun. Dang friendly blips could be difficult to make out at times. :oops:

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:35 am

Looking for Knowledge wrote:
flybywire wrote:
One of the coolest moments in the game I think would have to be the part where you man the cannon on the AC-130! If this were to happen in real life, I definitely do not want to be on the receiving end of that cannon. :P
Yea, that was fun. Dang friendly blips could be difficult to make out at times. :oops:

Yea. It was a little easier to tell the flashers if you switch the infrared once in a while.

I've been playing tons of multiplayer. Just make it to 1st Lieutenent II (rank 30). Some of the challenges get crazy. There's one where you have to shoot a C4 bundle and the explosion has to kill a guy. Doubt I'll ever be completing that one. :)

- Comic Book Guy

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:36 am

Jebus wrote:
Multiplayer is as adicting as crack. You gain ranks, like levels. And as you go up in rank, you gain new weapons and abilities. Plus there's lots of challenges to complete to gain even more stuff.
I haven't played the demo or full game yet, so hopefully someone can shed some light on this. What does CoD4 offer that Battlefield 2 or 2142 doesn't? From what I'm seeing, they're pretty damn similar. In BF2 and 2142, you gain ranks the longer you play. And when you gain a rank, you get a weapon/ability unlock. Not to mention there's a crapload of medals, badges, and pins (2142) to earn.

Seeing as I already own BF2 and 2142, would I be buying the same game with a different name?
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:39 am

Dizik wrote:
Jebus wrote:
I haven't played the demo or full game yet, so hopefully someone can shed some light on this. What does CoD4 offer that Battlefield 2 or 2142 doesn't? From what I'm seeing, they're pretty damn similar. In BF2 and 2142, you gain ranks the longer you play. And when you gain a rank, you get a weapon/ability unlock. Not to mention there's a crapload of medals, badges, and pins (2142) to earn.

Seeing as I already own BF2 and 2142, would I be buying the same game with a different name?

Unfortunatly, I can't answer that. I never got into the BF series. But it does sound similar.

- Comic Book Guy

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:43 am

I like this so far. I'm only a few missions into the game, but it feels really polished.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:43 am

I just played the demo yesterday, and this game is a must-buy for me. Very well done, and it can be easily tweaked to run smooth as butter on my 7800GT at 1024x768, while still maintaining decent visuals. It's not an easy game though, at least the demo was very frantic. I am impressed.
I'm not altogether on anyone's side, because no one is altogether on my side.

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:37 am

Should I get this for the PC or the 360? I am torn between them.

emkubed
Gerbil Elder

Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:11 am

Jebus and I will definately be playing this on the next LAN.... just waiting on UT3 to hit.....

Jeebs, How does early December sound, on a week day?

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:30 am

lordtottuu wrote:
You really have to ask that question? This game is WASD + Mouse territory, clunky gamepads need not apply. I'd rather dry shave my nuts with a rusty straight razor than play COD4 with a gamepad.
I'm not altogether on anyone's side, because no one is altogether on my side.

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:40 am

Vrock wrote:
I'd rather dry shave my nuts with a rusty straight razor than play COD4 with a gamepad.
heh... :lol:

Thebolt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:02 pm

If you've got an HDTV then I'd get it for the 360 no questions asked. My buddy has it for the 360 and it's awesome. The multiplayer is great over xbox live. The single player is fun, I only watched someone play it mostly but it does suffer from some of the usual call of duty issues. With CoD single player the game is totally linear and scripted to make it more cinematic. The enemies will respawn until you clear an area or complete an objective sometimes. The only other problem is that it's too short I think. The goods vastly outweigh the bad though. If you have xbox live and an HDTV you ought to buy one ASAP.

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:09 pm

Vrock wrote:
lordtottuu wrote:
You really have to ask that question? This game is WASD + Mouse territory, clunky gamepads need not apply.

I've played through quite a number of FPS on the 360 including CoD2. I didn't find it even close to clunky. There is a learning curve, I'll give you that, but it ain't hard. Just needs a little time to get used to.

FWIW, have you actually played with a 360 controller?
Last edited by lordT on Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:09 pm

Thebolt wrote:
With CoD single player the game is totally linear and scripted to make it more cinematic..

I totally agree with that assessment. Spoiler alert, spoiler alert... the stage where you're in a two-man sniper team and you have to traverse a field but then encounter a small army in your path. In that scene, I was a good distance behind my teammate when the army arrived onto the field, there I figured I'd stay out of their paths by keeping myself a good distance from them, however, try as I might even when I was a good 15 or 20 yards away from the enemies, they still discovered me. :evil: So after doing that a few times and getting my butt shot up, I figured I'd try a different strategy and stick close to my teammate who was lying directly on the path of the army as they crossed the field, and sure as the script gods would have it, even though the enemies were directly over me and I was also lying on the ground and moving around to avoid being crushed by the armored vehicles moving on top of me, the enemies never noticed me!? :roll: That made a lot of sense!
Fold! And I don't mean your clothes!

Do you have a favorite gerbil recipe? Please share with the TR community!

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:15 pm

God damn mile high club on veteran!

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:44 am

ive just been playing it on my flatmates xbox 360, it seems like its leaning towards rainbow six in its playstyle and because of this it feels like it could use a cover system. The other issue im having is due to the scriptedness of things, e.g. when you walk out to a certain point enemies will spawn but theres no way to get your squad to hold position while you work your way around and flank the enemy. Your squad will just follow you and get chopped up quick smart.

Apart from that though, they've done quite a convincing job with all the voice acting and narratives etc. Feels like you're really a part of their game world. Solid game I can see why so many people are dropping coin on this.