Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:15 am

lordtottuu wrote:
FWIW, have you actually played with a 360 controller?
I've played FPS with the original Xbox controller, and it was like trying to type while wearing mittens. I don't care how whiz-bang the thumbsticks are on the new controller, it will never be as precise and fluid as a keyboard+mouse.
I'm not altogether on anyone's side, because no one is altogether on my side.

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:27 am

Vrock wrote:
lordtottuu wrote:
I've played FPS with the original Xbox controller, and it was like trying to type while wearing mittens. I don't care how whiz-bang the thumbsticks are on the new controller, it will never be as precise and fluid as a keyboard+mouse.

This is true, can't beat the speed and precision of a mouse. When using a control pad I feel gimped by not being able to snap turn 180 or which ever way I please almost instantly, and fine aiming takes an ever so delicate touch. That said, there's a lot to be said for sitting down and chilling out to a game with a control pad. It's much more comfortable.

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:05 pm

Vrock wrote:
lordtottuu wrote:

If you base you opinions on control pad gaming from your experience with the old Xbox controller, I have nothing else to say. The old controllers were big, unergonomic and completely sucked. The new ones are revamped one and I must say they are the best controllers I've used. Its really easy to handle and as long as the sensitivity is just right for you, you can have as much fun as you have with a WASD setup.

ante9383
Gerbil First Class

Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:46 pm

I bought it for my PC on Saturday and I've only been playing online since.

It's awesome!

It's very different (prettier, more modern, but much smaller in scale) than what I usually play, an excellent BF2 mod called Project Reality, but my oh my it's great fun.
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, i7-6700k@4.2GHz w/NOCTUA NH-D15S, 16GB Corsair 3000MHz RAM, Crucial MX500 1TB, 3x Seagate Archive 8TB, 1xWD RED 8TB, 1xWD RED 4TB, Asus Xonar Essence STX, bequiet! 630W, Fractal Design Define R5, Asus PG278Q, Asus PG278QR

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:53 pm

I was at Circuit City last Saturday to get some supplies for work and wandered over to the computer area to pine for the things I can't buy. CoD4 was installed and running on one of the computers. I played it for a little bit and was surprised at smooth it was running. I looked at the specs of the machine and was surprised to see that it was, relatively, low end.

I only played it for ten minutes or so, but man it was awesome. My favorite part about it is that when I shot a baddie they were actually hurt/killed. I've had issues in most of the FPSs I've played where the baddie would keep moving unscathed even though I actually hit them. Anyway, it was fun and I'm now downloading it on my archaic computer to see if it'll run.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:26 pm

lordtottuu wrote:
Vrock wrote:
lordtottuu wrote:

If you base you opinions on control pad gaming from your experience with the old Xbox controller, I have nothing else to say. The old controllers were big, unergonomic and completely sucked. The new ones are revamped one and I must say they are the best controllers I've used. Its really easy to handle and as long as the sensitivity is just right for you, you can have as much fun as you have with a WASD setup.
You show me a gamepad that can match the precision and flexibility of a WASD + Mouse, and I'll show you a console fanboy.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:44 pm

Most games that are made for consoles have larger hit boxes than those for PC.

Don't believe me. Test it out on Halo, CoD, TF2, GoW. Also if you have a 360 hook up the control and play Halo and see how quickly you die.

The larger hit boxes in consoles make up for the lack of precision and finesse as found on PC.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:57 pm

Fine by me. I just want to see **** go 'splode. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:24 pm

Vrock wrote:
lordtottuu wrote:
Vrock wrote:
lordtottuu wrote:

You show me a gamepad that can match the precision and flexibility of a WASD + Mouse, and I'll show you a console fanboy.

I wasn't trying to imply that a gamepad can match a WASD + mouse setup. I was merely stating that it really isn't that much of a pain in the ass as you imply. When playing against similarly precision impaired players, you really don't feel handicapped. As tanker said, the console versions come with several tweaks to make sure the input's lack of precision doesn't hinder the game.

I am in no way saying that the game pad is better than a mouse. But sometimes I like playing with my hands in a much less convoluted position.

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:04 pm

titan wrote:
I only played it for ten minutes or so, but man it was awesome. My favorite part about it is that when I shot a baddie they were actually hurt/killed. I've had issues in most of the FPSs I've played where the baddie would keep moving unscathed even though I actually hit them.

It's so great when you use a flash-bang or stun grenade. The guy will cover his eyes and move slowly. Easy pickings. I love it!
I was married in an online fantasy game once. We thought about having children, but it would severely drain my power crystals.

- Comic Book Guy

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:08 pm

Anyone else notice how that Lt. V(rock?) keeps walking in front of your muzzle as you're firing? :lol:

Maybe I'm following to closely? :wink:
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:16 pm

Looking for Knowledge wrote:
Anyone else notice how that Lt. V(rock?) keeps walking in front of your muzzle as you're firing? :lol:

Maybe I'm following to closely? :wink:

Yeah, Lt. Vasquez and the other guys like to die from friendly fire. I must have capped a good number of them that way. It's not my fault my teammates are stupid and can't get out of the line of fire. :P Although they do know how to run away from a grenade though... so I do tend to run in the same direction as they're running when the grenade indicator goes off. :D
Fold! And I don't mean your clothes!

Do you have a favorite gerbil recipe? Please share with the TR community!

Vetwebhosting
Gerbil In Training

Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:10 pm

COD 4 is a fun game and would recommend you give it a try.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:36 pm

I wonder how well it'd run at 1650X1080 using a 7600GT? Or must I upgrade?
Cause if so, I might as well buy a damn Wii or 360 basic (core, arcade whatever).

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:29 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
Probably lousy.

On my 7800GT, I get frames in the 50-60s at 1024x768, no AA, 2xAF, shadows off, specular off, glow on, depth of field on, dynamic lights normal. Anything higher and playability suffers.
Last edited by Vrock on Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:33 am

I'm OK in the 40s myself, I can't really tell much higher than 45 or so. But I given your settings I doubt I'll be able to get that :( I was thinking about getting a console already, and this may seal it. I'm sick of upgrade cycles in the once/twice a year range.

/sad panda

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:53 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
I'm OK in the 40s myself, I can't really tell much higher than 45 or so. But I given your settings I doubt I'll be able to get that :( I was thinking about getting a console already, and this may seal it. I'm sick of upgrade cycles in the once/twice a year range.

/sad panda
It's not as bad as all that. I've had my 7800GT for almost two years now, and when I bought it, it was already old. Only game I've been unable to play with it (that I've wanted to play) has been Bioshock.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:59 am

Hmm, I'm tempted to buy a Frag FX and try this on my PS3...

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:29 pm

Looks like I can't play the demo on my PC for some reason or another. Very disappointing. :cry:
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:38 pm

I just have to say, I think the G3 is probably the best gun in the game. At least that I've unlocked. Give it stopping power and a red dot, and you can take down anyone at any range.

Just made Major (rank 34), which unlocks the Remington 700 sniper rifle. I think it's a really good gun, but I'm not a great sniper yet.
I was married in an online fantasy game once. We thought about having children, but it would severely drain my power crystals.

- Comic Book Guy

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:48 pm

Jebus wrote:
I just have to say, I think the G3 is probably the best gun in the game. At least that I've unlocked. Give it stopping power and a red dot, and you can take down anyone at any range.

Just made Major (rank 34), which unlocks the Remington 700 sniper rifle. I think it's a really good gun, but I'm not a great sniper yet.
I'm working on rank 10.... :-?

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:27 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
Cause if so, I might as well buy a damn Wii or 360 basic (core, arcade whatever).

I have it running 1650x1080 on mostly midrange settings on my 7900GS and I'm in the upper 40's for frame rates. You might have to turn off some of the eye candy, but if you can live with that you should be fine.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:01 am

Did you guys know about this....?

Epilogue Mission
If you sit through the credits at the end of the game, there's one more mission available.

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:10 pm

Epilogue Mission
If you sit through the credits at the end of the game, there's one more mission available.

Sweet! I'm playing thru again now, so I'll check it out.

- Comic Book Guy

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:56 pm

I may give it a go then. Or I may wait until the 8800GT's are actually at their MSRP and buy one, then decide; at 200 bucks they're a good deal. I'm OK with lower eye candy so I may just trash all the settings...i'll grab the demo then decide ;)

EDIT: Holy hell it's over 1 gig for the demo?!?! I may not manage to DL that! I only get 1.5 meg down at most, and it's usually a *lot* less than that!

Rakhmaninov3
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:08 pm

I'd buy it but I have no money.

lol
GO CARDINALS!

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:08 pm

Epilogue Mission

I felt like I was playing Counter Strike in that mission. :D
Fold! And I don't mean your clothes!

Do you have a favorite gerbil recipe? Please share with the TR community!

Rakhmaninov3
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:50 pm

I don't think I've seen this much positive chatter about a video game on TR in awhile!
GO CARDINALS!

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:30 pm

flybywire wrote:

Epilogue Mission

I felt like I was playing Counter Strike in that mission. :D
Me too. It took me a few tries to finally get it done. Have to move and take out the bg's quickly.

I wish the single play was longer. I suck at Multi...

b_naresh
Gerbil First Class

Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:31 pm

Vladimir Putin's review of Call Of Duty 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddg7reIOjL0
That was hilarious! :lol: