Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Justice
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Guitar Hero III

Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:05 pm

Really fun game, just sucks now as I've only had the game since Christmas, and one of the buttons on the guitar seems to be failing. Grrr....
|FN|Steel wrote:
Millions of sheep doesn't make [Censored] right.

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Guitar Hero III

Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:03 pm

Justice wrote:
Really fun game, just sucks now as I've only had the game since Christmas, and one of the buttons on the guitar seems to be failing. Grrr....

Is it the new wireless controller? A friend of mine was complaining about problems with his too.

I still haven't picked this one up, but I plan to.
I was married in an online fantasy game once. We thought about having children, but it would severely drain my power crystals.

- Comic Book Guy

Justice
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:29 pm

Jebus wrote:
Justice wrote:

Is it the new wireless controller? A friend of mine was complaining about problems with his too.

I still haven't picked this one up, but I plan to.

Yup. It's the wireless bundle.
|FN|Steel wrote:
Millions of sheep doesn't make [Censored] right.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:13 am

HERE is what Yahtzee has to say about it. Frankly I agree with him.

But I have to admit I still play along. Its all for the songs. Pearl Jam's Evenflow has got to be one of the best GH songs.

If you are starting out on GH III I suggest you go grab GHII in the bargin bin that one has another top song on it......Guns N Roses Sweet Child o Mine (overplayed? you betcha but play it on HARD and you will have fun!)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:30 am

My guitar hasn't had any problems, and I've had it since the day it was released.

Fun game to play though, when I get my 360 back I'll have to hook up with some of you on xbox live. I've beat 2 on expert, but hadn't gotten to expert on 3 yet. So many games to play, so little time. I think the day my 360 quit on me I was working on beating the last battle vs Lou on Hard.

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:52 am

I think I beat 3 on easy at my cousin's house.

That thing is freaking hard -- not the rhythm, but I can't manage to get through using more than 3 buttons or my pinky starts killing me. :oops:
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:05 am

SNM wrote:
I think I beat 3 on easy at my cousin's house.

That thing is freaking hard -- not the rhythm, but I can't manage to get through using more than 3 buttons or my pinky starts killing me. :oops:

Takes practice to get your hand conditioned to using all four, and then it goes through another process when you first learn to start reaching with your pinky, and yet another when you realize that reaching isn't an ideal solution and you start teaching yourself to let your hand slide, or to play from the lower fret position and reach with your index instead of pinky.

mafropetee
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:02 pm

GH = win.

I've only tried Through the Fire and the Flames so far for the new one, and I failed miserably. But it was still fun.
"Here we stand at the threshold of paradise, stealing a new world. I never would have thought our place in history would come to this, but we are infinite. We are one."
-Spencer Sotelo

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:55 pm

Picked it up yesterday. Ouch. Finally got thru Raining Blood and One on hard, but now I can't beat Lou. It's nuts.
I was married in an online fantasy game once. We thought about having children, but it would severely drain my power crystals.

- Comic Book Guy

mjallan123
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:20 pm

How hard is it compared to GH2?

I've managed to beat expert on GH2 with about 3/4 of songs 5 stars.

How well would I fare?
Core i5 2500k @ 4Ghz | MSI 6950 Twin Frozr III | 8Gb DDR3 1600Mhz | ASUS Z68 Pro | 1200W Thermaltake Toughpower | OCZ Lian Li V2010b | HP LP2475w

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:23 am

mjallan123 wrote:

How well would I fare?

In GH2 I've completed all but 1 or 2 songs on expert (Bark at the Moon is one, IIRC.)
In GH3 I still lack 2 songs on hard (Devil Went Down to Georgia and Thru the Fire and Flames.) Haven't even got to expert yet.

- Comic Book Guy

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:10 am

Jebus wrote:
mjallan123 wrote:

How well would I fare?

In GH2 I've completed all but 1 or 2 songs on expert (Bark at the Moon is one, IIRC.)
In GH3 I still lack 2 songs on hard (Devil Went Down to Georgia and Thru the Fire and Flames.) Haven't even got to expert yet.

Yea, I could beat expert on GH2, getting 3-4 stars on most of the later expert songs, 5 stars on the first few sets. On GH3, I think I am also stuck on Lou in Hard, but I might have beaten him a few days before my 360 RROD'd. Either way, I think GH3 has a much higher increase in the degree of difficulty as you move up the meter and move down the setlist. I do believe I managed to beat TTFAF on Hard, though if i did I didn't do too well. Great song, just too bad that Dragonforce is your typical power metal band and all their songs sound the same (I've got all their albums).

mjallan123
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:29 am

Have you played GH Rock the 80s?

It's so ridiculously easy. I think I have pretty much got 5 stars on all the songs except a few in the last couple of brackets.

That was the reason I asked about difficulty for GH3. I just read that the timeframe allowed to hit a note in GH3 has increased from previous games which would seem to suggest it would be easier, but the notes come at you more furiously.
Core i5 2500k @ 4Ghz | MSI 6950 Twin Frozr III | 8Gb DDR3 1600Mhz | ASUS Z68 Pro | 1200W Thermaltake Toughpower | OCZ Lian Li V2010b | HP LP2475w

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:45 am

mjallan123 wrote:

It's so ridiculously easy. I think I have pretty much got 5 stars on all the songs except a few in the last couple of brackets.

That was the reason I asked about difficulty for GH3. I just read that the timeframe allowed to hit a note in GH3 has increased from previous games which would seem to suggest it would be easier, but the notes come at you more furiously.

Yea, I didn't much care for rock the 80s. I love 80s music, but the game was pretty ****. It was really easy, and not much fun to play any of the songs.

I believe the time for notes has increased in GH3, but there are more notes, more complicated note progressions, and it's all around just more difficult at the upper levels than GH2 was, which kind of makes me a bit sad, as I thought the hard/expert levels of GH2 were pretty good as far as difficulty goes.

Taddeusz
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:22 am

I have the PC version of GH3. Anyone know if there is a wireless controller that works with the PC? The PC version just came with a wired 360 controller.

On a side note despite everything printed on the box GH3 will work in Vista x64. I just wish my parents had gotten the PC/Mac version. Somehow they were able to get a PC only box which I didn't know existed.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:12 am

Taddeusz wrote:
I just wish my parents had gotten the PC/Mac version. Somehow they were able to get a PC only box which I didn't know existed.

Yeah, the Mac version wasn't ready for launch so Aspyr had a PC-only GH3 originally. It was only that way for a couple weeks, though:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/11/28/guita ... ut-dec-10/
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:38 am

mjallan123 wrote:

I passed on Rock the 80s. There didn't seem to be enough content for my $50.

- Comic Book Guy

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:45 pm

Went ahead and finished the game on medium, so I could unlock Dragonforce. Great fun. Still trying to get past Lou on hard tho. :-?

- Comic Book Guy

BuddhistFish
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:12 pm

Finally managed to pick this up this past Saturday. I'd beaten GH2 on Expert and was busy working my through 5 starring all of the song on expert. I had a pretty easy time on Hard in GH3, until I hit the final set. I cannot nail Raining Blood or One. I cannot, no matter how hard I try, hit those damned three note hopo's. I haven't run in to this problem on any other song, but these two are just giving me no end of problems.
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:52 am

BuddhistFish wrote:
Finally managed to pick this up this past Saturday. I'd beaten GH2 on Expert and was busy working my through 5 starring all of the song on expert. I had a pretty easy time on Hard in GH3, until I hit the final set. I cannot nail Raining Blood or One. I cannot, no matter how hard I try, hit those damned three note hopo's. I haven't run in to this problem on any other song, but these two are just giving me no end of problems.

Those are the two I was stuck on for a couple days. Star power is your life saving friend. :P

- Comic Book Guy

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:36 am

I tried Guitar Hero III last night. I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical going in, but this game rocks! 8)

Rolling20s
Gerbil Elite

Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:26 pm

It's tons of fun. I'll say that GH2 had easier songs, but it was harder to get the hammer-ons/pull-offs. GH3 has harder songs, but the hammer-ons/pull-offs are easier to use, so it kind of balances out. For an overall experience, I've found Rock Band to be the best, but GH is one fine series.