Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:08 pm

Well, today Wal-Mart was apparently : A) having a sale on pre-orders or B) retarded.

After seeing the price, I couldn't resist and ended up getting the game for $19.82 ($23.38 after tax & shipping). I was lucky enough to get it before the "sale" ended and Wal-Mart removed the link to the game from their site. Anywho....after all of this, it dawned on me that the game is coming out pretty damn soon, and this was just the thing to get me excited about it all over again.

So...for those of you lucky enough to get a great deal on the game, were you surprised to see a highly anticipated title at such a great price? And for everybody else, are you as excited about the game as I am? The Smash Bros. series has been one of my favorite Nintendo games in recent memory, and makes for one hell of a drinking game with friends. The only other game that's coming out soon that I'm as anxious about is Star Wars: The Force Unleashed...and that's saying something.

=Ninja Edit=
Sorry for not posting a link in the Hot Deals section, a few minutes after I got my confirmation email the sale was over.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:25 pm

I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT!!!!!

I feel better. I can't wait for this games, it's one of the things that nudged me towards a Wii. I loved SSB:M on the Gamecube like...to pieces.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:43 pm

Damn dude. I'd have been all over it. I'm still gonna get it if I have to pay full retail price. $20 is crazy tho. Nice find.
I was married in an online fantasy game once. We thought about having children, but it would severely drain my power crystals.

- Comic Book Guy

adampk17
Gerbil XP

Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:56 am

I hear Wal-Mart canceled all the orders that made it through for the $20 price.... bummer.
Megatron must be stopped, no matter the cost.

Core i7-8086K | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB 3200 | SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G| Corsair CX750M PSU

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:23 pm

Damn it....I just checked my email and saw two messages from Wal-Mart. One was a "request for order cancellation" saying "We have received your request to cancel the item(s) listed below from your order (#xxxxx)." which is complete **** since there's no way I'd cancel the order. The next email was the confirmation that the order was cancelled. Oh well....guess I'll still pay the full $50 when it comes out.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:48 pm

That's really impolite, IMO. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:59 pm

Yea, that sucks. They messed up, they should have to sell it at that price. I know if it happens in the store, they do.
I was married in an online fantasy game once. We thought about having children, but it would severely drain my power crystals.

- Comic Book Guy

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Walmart.com is incompetent

Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:29 pm

Please be certain to let Wal-mart know that you will not purchase the game from them at the higher price, nor any make other purchases from Walmart.com in the future.

I had a quite unsatisfactory experience with Walmart.com buying a small appliance for work this summer. I cannot understand how a company that is world-renowned for the sophisticated inventory management system that stocks their brick-and-mortar stores can be so totally ****-ing clueless when it comes to running a web-based store. Their telephone customer service representatives were totally clueless, intellectually-challenged and unmotivated. They had even less information about my order than I did, and didn't give a **** whether it was shipping or not.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:08 pm

Hehe...

Email from Wal-Mart wrote:
Dear Dizik,

We apologize for our recent video game pricing error and the incorrect information included in our follow up e-mail correspondence with you.

As we are always striving to provide a positive customer experience, we will be sending you a $10 electronic Gift Card toward a future purchase as an apology for your recent experience. (One Gift Card per affected customer; this card can only be used online at Walmart.com. Look for details in a separate email.)

As a reminder, your payment method was never charged for the canceled items. Any related authorization hold on your credit or debit card account will be released in accordance with your financial institution's holds policy. Please contact your financial institution for more information.

If you have any questions, please email us at [email protected].

Sincerely,

Customer Service at Walmart.com

http://www.walmart.com

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:39 pm

Well, you can get it for $40 then. :P

- Comic Book Guy

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Re: Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:37 pm

So...has anybody else picked it up? I grabbed it last night and played for a few hours with some friends and had a good time. I'm glad that they didn't really change any of the play mechanics, as it plays just like Smash Bros and Melee. I'm going to be playing some more later when I get home from work, and I hope to unlock some more characters. I'll post my friend code later when I get around to hopping onto the WFC.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:09 pm

Picked it up at lunch. Haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

What are you using for a control scheme? It looks like it can go Wii-mote only, Wii-mote + Nunchuk, classic controller, or Gamecube controller (which I imagine is best for Melee veterans like myself, though I don't have my Gamecube anymore or a Wavebird, which I think I really really want)

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:25 pm

I think my favorite so far is the Wii-mote+Nunchaku, with the classic controller my other option. I gave all of my Gamecube stuff to my brother, so I haven't had experience with the GCN controller besides my many, many hours with Melee, but I'm pretty sure it'll work just fine. As far as just the Wiimote, I'm not a fan. Trying to hit B (trigger button) for shields, Minus (-) for grabbing, etc. just feels akward when you hold the controller like an old school NES controller.

Wii-mote only control scheme

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:32 pm

oh, that wii-mote only scheme sucks eggs.

edit: So does the Wii-mote + nunchuck. Maybe I"ll get better with it later, but I think I'm going to try the classic controller tonight. Imight ahve to remap some buttons tho.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:53 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
edit: So does the Wii-mote + nunchuck.
The Wii-mote + nunchaku scheme is best in my opinion because of how flexible it can be. To begin, you move (obviously) and block with the nunchaku, while using A and B on the Wii-mote for attacks. If you're extra special, you can even use the Left and Right on the Wii-mote's D-Pad to Grab (instead of A + B), and use Down for your Shield (instead of Z). Not to mention the taunts (1, 2, and 1+2) are, IMO, better located. And for whatever reason, you have three ways to jump: Both Up and C on the nunchaku's analog stick work, as well as Up on the Wii-mote. Button mashers rejoice. And, to top it all of, you can shake the Wii-mote to throw an item that you've picked up. The harder you flick it, the longer the distance. :D

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:43 am

I should get it Sunday. My friend code should still be in the thread above.

- Comic Book Guy

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:44 am

I've settled on the Classic Controller once I remapped it all. B is now attack, Y is now special, X and A jump L and R block and the Z buttons pick stuff up. And then the C stick for the smashes.

edit: Jebus, you need a 12-character code that the game generates, not the regular friend code, so you won't know your code until you play the game.

David
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:42 pm

I also use the Classic Controller. I haven't tried anything else, but it just feels right. I imagine the GameCube control would be very familiar as well. My GF likes it anyway.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:38 pm

Brawl code: 3265-4804-2688

Fear that number, for it shall be your undoing.

BobbinThreadbare
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:41 pm

A friend just brought it over, and we played.

It was a lot of fun, but it is really similar to Melee. Also, the super-attack giving orbs were totally unbalanced, I think I'm going to make him turn them off the next time we play. The only new character I tried was Wario, his motorcycle attack is really cool.

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:59 am

Just ordered Brawl from Amazon (had a nice Amazon gift certificate I was itching to use). Can't wait! 8)
Twitter: @xmunos

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:05 pm

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:52 pm

Yeah, so apparently Ike is a badass.

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:01 am

Dizik wrote:
Yeah, so apparently Ike is a badass.

I've been playing a lot as Pikachu (aka the only character I know how to play) and noticing that fighting Ike sucks more than any other character -- I don't think I've ever killed somebody (even once) playing an Ike character because they tend to KO me once I've got, oh, 20% damage with any of their smashes. :(

In other news, Snake's final smash is the worst for one-on-one action because it lasts long enough to generally take out 1.5 lives.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:27 pm

OK, after a couple of hit-and-miss loading errors, this week was tons and tons of loading errors. I took the game to my brother-in-law's house last night and we played wthout a single error for I'd say 2+ hours. Loaded it up again today, more read errors. My other Wii games work very nicely, though. The exception would be that Animal Crossing (GCN) would have random read errors for my wife, as well, and one time (maybe twice) Super Mario Galaxy had a read error. So today I filled out the repair form on Nintendo's website and my Wii is in the box, wrapped in bubblewrap, along with the game ready to ship out on Monday. *sigh* - not been a good console month for me. 360 RROD and now this. Oh well.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:19 pm

The first time I loaded Brawl, it stalled on the intro movie. Guess what I did to fix it? Yup...I blew air into the Wii. Old school, represent. After fixing it, I've had no issues as long as the disc is clean. The only complaints I really have with the game is getting booted from online games repeatedly.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:52 pm

yeah, I tried that, and since it's happening on other games (however less frequently) and since Nintendo says it'll only take 7 days from the day I ship it (?! dang fast) I figure I can live. I'll probably have sent it 2 weeks after I sent my 360 and I'll get it back 1-2 weeks BEFORE my 360. :lol:

b3n113

Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:54 pm

*nod - ike is turning into the mitsurugi of soul caliber of dreamcast fame. has a defiant edge on nearly everyone, can recover without trying, juggles like a Cirque du Soleil clown on crack, has range attacks to boot.

nerf neo classical characters loosely based on greek mythology.

David

Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:27 pm

Smash Bros. is a double-layer disc, and some of the consoles have a hard time reading them. Nintendo will repair it free. I know you already sent yours away, but I think this is useful information.

Repair form:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/repair/repair_form_us_ssbb.jsp
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:42 pm

Yeah, I should have posted the link. I saw it on Joystiq before I ever picked up the game. The weird thing to me is that it was fine the first day or two and progressively got worse. But the disc is clean, so I was a bit confused. Once I took it to my brother-in-law's place and his Wii played it perfectly, I knew it was time to contact Nintendo.