Moderators: renee, Hoser

Loops
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Is Counter Strike the funest fps?

Sun Mar 09, 2003 7:36 pm

Been playing it since 1.1.
Havent stopped playing it since.
Tried playing q3, ut2k3, bf42, and countless others.
Nothing seems to compare to the experience of CS.
Whats my point? I think counter strike is the funest fps out there.
CS requirements are very low compared to other games.
Simple graphics still provide great fun.
CS is the most played game online for a reason.
For some reason my friends and I are addicted to cs.
At lans we try and play all sorts of games, but counter strike seems to bring the joy out of us.

U guys feel the same way i do?

b3n113
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Mar 09, 2003 7:44 pm

funest?
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=funest

I don't, I stoped playing counter strike 2 years ago.

nicateen420
Gerbil XP

Sun Mar 09, 2003 7:47 pm

I have played since the second beta(as in where the models looked funky and guns where godly,,remember the m4a1 with scope,the to accurate deagle,,the mp5 god), I find that in those early days when there wasn't rampant cheating I had alot more fun and so did the og cs players i played with. Ive been in about 8 clans which all broke apart cause cheating and sometimes no one had a proper server. I still play at least twice a week (gots to keep my ak and m4a1 whorein up to snuff). My tag is Snuggles but a **** load of people stole it when they seen my pic and name :( . I really enjoy battlefeid 1942 now and its about tied between that and cs. Less cheating in battlefeild (Still a bit,,like map hack where they know where you are on map and bomb you religiously). Overall without the cheating cs may not be the best physics graphics or rounded game (level speaking, guns seem about right except a few) But there is a reason why its top multiplayer. My words form one first few hundred players (I still suck) :D :lol: :D :lol:
M [email protected], 512 Uber samsung pc 3200
Uber 1337 Geforce3ti200, AC97 SOUND p4wnz joo, 20 gig maxtor 5400 rpm drive<---own3d
Having a system crippled by old parts= Priceless

nicateen420
Gerbil XP

Sun Mar 09, 2003 7:49 pm

Oh and i try not to play on pub servers unless im board,,, he private ones have littl to no cheating depending where your invited and who you know
M [email protected], 512 Uber samsung pc 3200

Uber 1337 Geforce3ti200, AC97 SOUND p4wnz joo, 20 gig maxtor 5400 rpm drive<---own3d

Having a system crippled by old parts= Priceless

Trident Troll

Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:11 am

Are you only talking about online shooters?
I consider there to be two separate categories of FPS - The fps 'game' and the fps 'arena'. Anything multiplayer that isn't story based would fit into the arena category (Q3A, UT, CS, TFC, Tribes, etc.). In my opinion, the best of those would be TFC. It meets your same criteria for CS, but it has been played longer and, most importantly, it has required practically no alterations to its core design. The TFC that you play today is the same as the TFC that you could play when it was first released. At most, they've made a few operational enhancements to facilitate ease of play. But no changes to the design. To me, this suggests that it was perfect from the beginning. It doesn't require a new update every month. And the fact that people still play the same original maps that they've been playing for 3 years gives it the edge over CS in terms of longevity. The basic experience of TFC is just superior in terms of its gaming purity (there's a rather nebulous statement :)).
For fps games, there's no question. Halo beats all.

Zenith
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:52 am

I'm with trident troll, Halo Owns for a good ballanced FPS, AND makes a good arena game. Kinda like combining UT and U, or UT2k3 and UT2. 'Just better

:wink:

pez-king
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:21 am

i personally think CS is terrible. It is the same as any other team death match only that it gives the illusion of being a "counter-terrorist" or a "terrorist". It wouldnt be too bad if it used the Q3 engine or something even better. HL is dated, and dosent have the neccessary elements to run "realistic" type mods.

LJ
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:40 am

When i started playing CS a day or two after the first public release of Beta 1, it was a blast. There was no game that could compare -- before that, i played Team Fortress, threewave, TFC, etc but CS was fresh and new and great. Since then, tons of spin offs have been released. I did most of my CS playing before beta 5, but I still run a server (which is always full). I haven't played there for a few months, but i'll probably go play there at least a little bit during spring break.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:32 am

pez-king wrote:
It is the same as any other team death match only that it gives the illusion of being a "counter-terrorist" or a "terrorist"......... It wouldnt be too bad if it used the Q3 engine or something even better. HL is dated, and dosent have the neccessary elements to run "realistic" type mods.
Well, of course its dated, so that is really without relevance, and the q3 engine wasnt really available at the time, thats why they rewrote the q1 engine to the point they did. And i cant really remember all that many Team DM things before CS, except Team Fortress - Quake(or was that Q2), Action Quake 2 mod(there you have an old mod, also the Terrorist, counterterrorist theme usually) and navy seals - quake mod.

And realism isnt always good, look at deltaforce for example, it can be fun, but a realistic game, and a game like CS and AQ2 is two vastly different experiences, so they arent really comparable.

I dont really play CS anymore, i almot dont play anything online, havent found something to really replace the thrill i got out of AQ2. And CS felt like a big ripoff of AQ2 in the beginning. Although i still think CS is one of the best things since AQ2, of the ones i tried, but so little time and so much to do.

Player Hater
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 10, 2003 9:35 am

If your talking funnest FPS... I cant roll with no Counter-Strike. Any game that makes you sit for extended periods of time cannot be considered funnest. That is why I have alwys been partial to TFC. There is the need to accomplish goals ( I Love 2fort! ) but no real penalty for getting killed, other than your score. I love CS as well, but it aint the funnest. BTW, are you nine years old or is English your second language? Both are valid excuses for your pitiful grasp on grammar.

Loops
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:38 pm

Yep english = 2nd language, im mexican living in USA

David

Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:57 pm

It's all about CS! Well..used to be. I haven't really played it for more than a few minutes in months, but I recently started playing 1.6 beta and it's pretty nice. I"m having the most fun now with Day of Defeat and Natural Selection. :D

I don't care how dated the HL engine is, it's got the best mods out there. :wink:
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

Freon
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:06 pm

CS died quickly for me after they started to seriously nerf it. It was never really the same after they added the jumping slowdown.

And yet people eventually learned how to exploit that slowdown on landing to halt velocity so a AWP could be fired the instant they landed for dead-on accuracy.

Since Beta 6 Valve seems hell bent on slowing the game down. The jumping nerf was supposed to keep people from bunny hopping around and owning newbies, but now people just get an AWP and use the landing speed trick to own newbies even worse now that you can't jump to dodge. Way to go Valve.

I'm pretty convinced they don't play their own game, or if they do, they really suck at it.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:16 pm

Or they just like to beat newbies up.....

Action Quake 2 was great in that regard, bunny jumping was at its top, so we even bunny jumped backwards over seemingly impassable distances and up to rooftops and stuff, but i pity those few newbies that even tried to get into a game with us oldtimers(think maniac bunny jumping people that sniped headshots backwards from the air..... ;) )....ahh those days were great, the nicest thing was that skill really counted as most things were allowed.

Gilligan
Gerbil Elite

CS is awesome

Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:57 pm

I have been playing CS for one year now and even though the graphics are not great.. it is like awesome.
If there's a will, there's a way.

b3n113

Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:09 pm

... it is like dated

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:10 pm

What CS had, Urban Terror has in spades. Besides, Halflife engine << Quake3 engine.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:48 pm

Only reason I ever still touch CS is my damn friends who have yet to move on. Counter Strike is most popular based primarily on its own inertia. They came out with a decently executed, fairly novel game right when online gaming was really expanding. For the past few years CS has been popular primarily because it was already popular.

Wings_SWmud
Gerbil

Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:39 am

Personally...(This was about a year ago...)

Tried. Played for 2 weeks. Discovered DoD. Bye-Bye CS.
21...47...69...122!

paul
Gerbil

Tue Mar 11, 2003 10:57 am

yes it is! after the old unreal tournament INSTAGIB!!!!

;)
:roll: PauL :roll:

Computer Spec = CRAP it may as well be an empty box ;) ......

......and i live in a tree :D

ANApex
Gerbil XP

Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:18 am

CS doesn't even come close to Day of Defeat in terms of game play IMHO. I don't care that it's still using the HL engine the graphics are good enough and teamwork is at least better then CS on public servers. Get with a decent group of people and the teamwork is amazing. The only other WWII FPS that comes close to DoD is BF1942.

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:27 am

Ive always been partial to Unreal Tournament.
Twitter: @xmunos

paul
Gerbil

Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:53 am

good old UT :) shame that quake 3 was a dissapointment!

CS is groundbreaking! its the most played online game, irrigardless of how old it is and how dated the game is! considering its a mod, it was a bloody good job. and still probably the best online game. (since 1998)

watch some of the team work invovled in this game. u need to look at some of the top clans play then u will see, some mouth opening tactics.

i like the looks of the new ravens sheild game though it looks amazing lets see if it plays half as good as counter strike! :P

Mamado
Gerbil

Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:00 pm

Yeah CS was trully ground breaking because of the fact that it was a mod!

Yea it looks dated but its still brings great fun. CS is also a great game for beginners to enter the fps world, soon as they get the hang of cs they can pretty much play all other fps games.

O yeah I been playing 1.6 lately and find it more entertaining than 1.5. The graphics seem to have been somewhat improved. It looks much more sharp and crisp. The shields are very cool and the two new guns are pretty cool too. New map designs like de_aztec are much better now, it no longer looks like a playground.

My only real complaint about CS is the fact that there are too many cheaters. CS is and always will be fun as long as cheaters stay away. CS is also a bad ass game when it comes to team work. If you go to some internet cafe's they have 5v5 tourneys with a first place prize of up to 1000 dollars. I was a spectator at one of these tourneys and i must say that the level at which some people play is amazing. Anyway cs is a great mod not a great game.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:05 pm

Hmm, yeah, it was the first easy accessible mod for the masses, just about anyone could get online and play it.

That was both the charm and the doom of the quake 2 mods like Action Quake 2 and Gloom. You actually needed a working brain in your head to get it workin :D

That was the first thing that struck me when i finally went over to CS.... omg, all those silly people coming in from nowhere acting like spoiled brats. BUT, there are good servers, with good people, and then its just as fun as any other game with good people in.

David

Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:53 pm

mm...CS is mostly only fun on servers where you know people.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:23 pm

CS is ok...

I enjoyed the original UT and TFC more though. UT instagib was hard to beat and TFC was tons of fun without the cheesyness of CS cheaters. Then there are all of the "l33t" people playing CS. They sit on their ass for 10 hours a day playing CS and they think they are so cool. Yeah, I would be pretty good at it too if I played that often. Then again, I have something called a life...
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:03 pm

ahhh yes.... DeltaForce: Land Warrior rocks.

i've had more fun with that game than any other FPS. it's graphics can get fairly nice, and when you get on some of the anti-nading maps it's just amazing. and the team work is sick! tournements got brutile

paul
Gerbil

Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:53 am

ut instagib now thats a different story! the original ut had the best instagib action. if it wasnt for the instagib it wouldnt have been as popular online as it was....

...... god i remember some of the clan wars i used to play :roll: ...

i miss the old ut..... :( may hay have to install it and play it again!!
the new UT's instagib isnt as good :P shame really i was looking forward to something special!

long live CS

any news on team fortress 2???? that looked cool when i saw a preview a while back

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:22 pm

Ahh, Delta Force Land Warrior had some of the best multiplayer ever. Huge maps, lots of people, great teamwork, and almost no lag on dialup. Sheer bliss I tell you. :)
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan