Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

GTA IV! - Now with infinitely more spoilers!

Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:39 pm

Is anybody else looking forward to this? I guess that's a bit like asking "do you like ice cream?" or "is breathing awesome?" but I hadn't seen much on it yet here (and I went back through the first four pages of the gaming forum to make sure I didn't miss something recent). I wasn't sure at first - I liked the whole GTA III series (San Andreas less than the others, Vice City more than the others, GTA III in the middle) but I wondered if it hasn't jumped the shark a little bit. Kotaku has quite a bit on the game and it seems to have awoken a latent desire to play it. Of course, the trailers have done alot to help with it, too. But I'm excited, and I'm wondering if the rest of you are as well.
Last edited by derFunkenstein on Tue May 06, 2008 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: GTA IV!

Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:00 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I guess that's a bit like asking "do you like ice cream?" or "is breathing awesome?"

No, not quite.

Actually I've played all GTA 3 variants but I didn't genuinely like any of them, since they all got either too hard or too boring towards the middle/end. My favourite was the original GTA 3 simply because it had better radio stations for vehicles (I'm looking at you, Rise FM), but truth be told, San Andreas was the most playable, by far - the freedom you had with the character, along with the small (but so important!) change that weapons don't fire on a point but rather spread their ammo inside the crosshair, made it the best GTA yet; it's just that the ghetto feeling was a bit too distant to me (and come to think of it, the gym idea was very boring too, yet you still might have needed it).

Sure, I may check out GTA 4 if they can make it more exciting and involving.

Synchromesh
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:10 pm

I love all GTA games and played pretty much all of them from GTA1. My favorite is probably the Vice City with San Andreas close second. Love the 80s feeling. :)

Been looking forward to this game ever since I finished the GTA:SA in early 2006. I would be the first in line to buy the GTA4 but those idiots only make it available for Xbox and PS3 initially and I'm definitely not buying one of these consoles to substitute my PC for gaming so it's a no go for me. I'm really hoping the PC version will come out soon although it probably won't. But can't wait until it does.

Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:13 pm

I dunno, I got bored with GTA 3 after like a half hour of going 'wow i can beat up hookers!' and never took the time to get into any of the others (Vice City, Liberty City Stories, etc). I might rent GTA4 but I"m probably not buying it.

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:33 pm

I spent nearly every weekend during high school drinking beer and playing GTA3. My friends and I would sit around and see how long we could go with 5 stars. But Vice City was the only one I finished. Got bored with the other 2. And I currently don't have a 360 or PS3, so I'm not worried about getting this one anytime soon. Plus, one of the guys I used to play GTA3 with already has this one reserved, so I can check it out at his house.
I was married in an online fantasy game once. We thought about having children, but it would severely drain my power crystals.

- Comic Book Guy

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:29 pm

wow, guess I overestimated the excitement for this game. That's OK, I'm still looking forward to it. :D
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:43 pm

GTA1 was fun. GTA2, was ok. I never played gta3 because it didn't interest me at all. *shrug*

Pax-UX
Gerbil Elite

Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:23 am

My problem is I don't know if I should get it for the Xbox or the PS3??? I normally play the games on the Xbox with the PS3 really being a glorified Blu-ray player... MMmmm.... my life sucks! :cry:
"What luck for rulers, that men do not think"

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:05 am

Yea, i'm really not that interested either. San Andreas was good but it did get old fast.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:48 am

Pax-UX wrote:
My problem is I don't know if I should get it for the Xbox or the PS3???
Get it for whichever platform plays it better. Historically that's been the 360, but things are evening out finally.
I'm not altogether on anyone's side, because no one is altogether on my side.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:57 am

I played GTA 1 and 2 but never completed anyone of them. I was got just bored with the second and my part 1 game data got corrupted along with the CD, so i never bothered to get a new one.

0oALio0

Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:48 am

I loved GTA2. Started GTA3, but never finished for reasons I can't seem to recall. I recently tried the PSP version of san andreas and I thought it didn't translate well. I am, however, looking forward to IV after seeing the trailers. It looks truly awesome.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:24 pm

Pax-UX wrote:
My problem is I don't know if I should get it for the Xbox or the PS3???

Depends on how exclusive the DLC for the 360 version will be when it finally comes out (months from now, not sure how long) and whether or not it's worth purchasing. I'm going to get it (and most every other cross-platform game from here on out, at least for a while) for PS3 just because I'm still a bit leery of my newly-refurbished 360.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:22 am

I loved Vice City and I'm definitely going to pick up GTA IV once it comes out for the PC. I have no interest in playing it on the Xbox.

San Andreas was good despite the ghetto theme. The mission designs were great, the quirky humor was top notch and the variety of the vehicles were a blast. But I would have been so much happier with a game in English.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

AMD Damo
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:31 am

I thought that GTA3 was the best out of all of them, the storyline, radio and the "atmosphere" was waaay better than the other ones.

b3n113

Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:03 pm

AMD Damo wrote:
I thought that GTA3 was the best out of all of them, the storyline, radio and the "atmosphere" was waaay better than the other ones.

I'm not sure how I missed this thread, but I'll jump in by saying that's just stupid.

Vice City is by far the most gratuitous, tantalizing, splendorous replay on a silly detached and utterly scrumptious era in which I was too young to fully enjoy. I hate Miani Mice, yet I love, love this game. It captures the 80's in such a utterly perfect way. i've replayed it several times, and am still hopeing they re-do it for a current gen system, or at least do a sequel. **** Ray Laytoya had to piss off Rockstar thou, so fat chance of that happening.

I do have to say, I've been waiting for GTA IV for a long time and not since Bioshock have I been so obsessed with waiting to load in.

mjallan123
Gerbil First Class

Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:29 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
wow, guess I overestimated the excitement for this game. That's OK, I'm still looking forward to it. :D

Perhaps you were looking in the wrong place. After all this is a PC orientated website and GTA IV is a console game (atleast until a substantial amount of time has passed).

It is expected by many experts to make the most money in it's first week than any other game ever so there are obviously a lot of excited people just not here.

Having said that, I am definitely getting it. Have to decide whether to buy an xbox or playstation though...
Core i5 2500k @ 4Ghz | MSI 6950 Twin Frozr III | 8Gb DDR3 1600Mhz | ASUS Z68 Pro | 1200W Thermaltake Toughpower | OCZ Lian Li V2010b | HP LP2475w

radix
Gerbil First Class

Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:59 pm

I am really looking forward to it. I played all versions and finished the last 3. Saw a streaming video yesterday of some guy that owns a game store or works at one playing it, graphics look really good, although the video quality was crappy. I will not buy it myself, but I have friends that own the Xbox 360 and PS3, so I guess I will be playing both versions soon.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:57 am

mjallan123 wrote:
Perhaps you were looking in the wrong place. After all this is a PC orientated website and GTA IV is a console game (atleast until a substantial amount of time has passed).

You're probably right. There's alot of folks here with PS3's and 360's (and in some cases, both), but there are alot more PC gamers here.

Still, every so often I think about the game and I pee just a little.

BKA
Gerbil XP

Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:11 am

Count me in as one that will be waiting for the PC version. There are just too many endless mods for the PC version. I still load up the Superman mod on San Andreas. Not to mention it gives me a chance to dust off my wireless Logitech PC controller that rarely gets used.
Last edited by BKA on Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:07 pm

I enjoyed GTA 3, but I never bothered with any of the expansions. With a game like GTA, it's just always more of the same in a slightly different setting. I guess you could say that for most game genres, though. Maybe I'll pickup GTA 4, I dunno...I'm sure it will be fun but I doubt it will bring anything new to the table.
I'm not altogether on anyone's side, because no one is altogether on my side.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:53 pm

Vrock wrote:
I enjoyed GTA 3, but I never bothered with any of the expansions. With a game like GTA, it's just always more of the same in a slightly different setting. I guess you could say that for most game genres, though. Maybe I'll pickup GTA 4, I dunno...I'm sure it will be fun but I doubt it will bring anything new to the table.

To an extent, your analysis is right on. But... Rockstar got to be really good at the GTAIII formula. The differences are in the atmosphere, the storylines and the mission design. At its heart, its still the basic GTA formula, but that's like saying Half Life 2 is just more of the same of the original Half-Life.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:18 pm

I am expecting something that is probably GTA3 at is base, but at a much higher level than GTA3. Gritty atmosphere and good story aside, I want them to fix things like free-spawning cars, an environment that doesn't have the population change when you turn around, more to do in your sandbox...just bigger, better, badder, louder, faster. In reality I don't think I'm asking for too much.

Kevin
Administrator

Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:37 pm

Darkmage wrote:
The differences are in the atmosphere, the storylines and the mission design.

Which is why I've enjoyed both VC and SA. Which reminds me that I still need to finish the last few missions in SA one of these days...
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.

Stormy
Gerbil First Class

Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:56 pm

Its getting 10/10 score . so it looks like GTA4 will be a winner. Now we just have to wait 4 days to see it for ourselves
XP 2400-M @3200(200x11)-PDP DDR3200(1.5gigs)-WIN XP HE-EVGA 6600GT-Maxtor 60gigs-Abit NF7-S v2

b3n113

Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:55 pm

2_tyma
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:23 pm

yup im getting it at tuesday morning@midnight, this game will be great. im getting it for 360 and will get it for pc as well because the mods for gta is great i mean, driving around in the batmobile is genious
q9450@3.4 ghz|8gb pc8500|Asus Maximus II Formula|150gb Raptor, 640gb WD6400AAKS|Sapphire HD4850x2

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:17 pm

I won't get it until Thursday (as much as I've been hyped up over it, I won't get to play it before then) along with my new TV.

lethal
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm

the game looks awesome, but I hope that they don't take too long to bring it to the PC. R* probably has some kind of exclusivity deal in place but still can't wait for it, just take a look at the euphoria tech demos :o.
The Internet wrote:
"[The] 360 starts at the factory, moves to retail shelves, into consumer's homes, back to Microsoft. So THAT'S why Microsoft called it the 360...It all comes full-circle ;)"

b3n113

Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:57 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I won't get it until Thursday (as much as I've been hyped up over it, I won't get to play it before then) along with my new TV.

what tv?