Personal computing discussed

Moderator: Hoser

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Warhammer gets major features cut

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:05 pm

http://www.massively.com/2008/07/11/mar ... er-online/

I was really looking forward to this game, but this news does not bode well.

an ongoing series of interviews with MMORPG.com, Mythic Entertainment VP and General Manager Mark Jacobs has dropped big news on the Warhammer Online fanbase: major features are being culled from the game in order to make their Fall launch deadline. In short, the capital cities for the Dark Elf, High Elf, Orc, and Dwarf factions will not be in the game at launch. The Human city of Altdorf and the Chaos Inevitable City will be the only Capital cities in the game. This is an enormous change, seemingly changing much of what we know about the game's core of RvR gameplay.

Additionally, four classes are being removed, deemed to be in a condition unsuitable for launch. They are:

* The Choppa (Greenskin)
* The Hammerer (Dwarf)
* The Blackguard (Dark Elf)
* The Knight of the Blazing Sun (Empire)

As the website notes, all of these are melee classes and two of these were intended to be the primary tanking classes for their race. This leaves the Empire and Dark Elf races without a dedicated tanking career, possibly limiting their contributions to end-game PvE content.
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

Hellsbellboy
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Warhammer gets major features cut

Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:23 pm

Wow that seems pretty big. I was looking forward to at least trying this game, now after AoC I doubt I will. For all the faults of WoW at least the damn game works. I don't care to pay $50+ bucks plus a montly fee to beta test unfinished software. If games like this really want to make it in this market they are going to have to have a game that is more on par with WoW instead of releasing a broken game and expecting people to stick with it. The whole arguement that "oh the game is new, when WoW was released it had a lot of bugs too". WoW was fortunate that there was no where else to go when it was buggy.

redeye
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:03 pm

"Blizzard execs seen cackling gleefully as they do a half gainer into their vaults of money"
"I am too old to die young, and too young to grow up," - Marty Feldman

Ryu Connor
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:45 pm

The feature addition of PunkBuster pretty well sinks this title.

You think keyloggers are bad in WoW, just wait for this title. Since PB forces games to run as Admin expect Warhammer to truely lead the way in stolen accounts.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

StrangeDay
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:54 am

Ryu Connor wrote:
The feature addition of PunkBuster pretty well sinks this title.

You think keyloggers are bad in WoW, just wait for this title. Since PB forces games to run as Admin expect Warhammer to truely lead the way in stolen accounts.

^^^ This, plus cutting major content from release pretty much means I'm not going to bother with this for a long while. I've seen enough to keep it on my radar, but ... this is starting to suck.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:19 am

Well as I recall WoW had more bugs than that monkey in Outbreak when it was first released. It also needed many a content update to bring depth to it.

So it is possible that AoC and Warhammer will turn out to be good games (just not a launch). Maybe I will give em both a year to improve.

Or maybe I will get a PS3 and play that DC heroes game.

Or maybe I will just start playing WoW again in a few months. Right now the WoW expansion might be better than the other options.

I think the main problem is that WoW is so established that to really compete you need to hit the ground running. Cutting content is just hitting the ground and breaking a leg.
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:25 am

The latest "1 a week" patch for AoC blew, Im still active but my account expires this month. I re-upped LOTRO and I am very pleased with it. If you want a game that has tons to do, a veyr active community and tons of players, I'd suggest LOTRO as a wow alternative. Not much else comes close at this point. Conan sucks still, I wanted so bad to love it... :cry:
Corsair 600T | MSI Tomahawk b450 | AMD Ryzen 3700x | 16GB Corsair Vengeance PC 3000 | AData 1TB m.2 | Asus ROG Swift Gsync 27"

StrangeDay

Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:06 pm

PRIME1 wrote:
Maybe I will give em both a year to improve.

That's what I'm thinking. If they can't get it together in a year, I don't have the patience.

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:59 pm

I still look forward to playing this one. I've been anticipating it for a very long time. Yea, it sucks that they cut so much for the launch, but there's still alot of classes to play, and a whole world to explore. And having that other content partially finished means a quick expansion, I would think. Maybe I'm just a Warhammer fanboy. Been playing the tabletop games for about 10 years. I don't care. :P
I was married in an online fantasy game once. We thought about having children, but it would severely drain my power crystals.

- Comic Book Guy

StrangeDay

Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:23 pm

Jebus wrote:
Been playing the tabletop games for about 10 years. I don't care. :P

I love the Warhammer World, but it's because of the tabletop games that I'm looking askance. I'd hate to see GW's brand of codex creep infest expansions in this game. That being said, I'd do nearly anything to run a GW style greenskin in this game.

I really hope it doesn't suck.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:11 am

StrangeDay wrote:
I really hope it doesn't suck.

from a closed beta tester......It doesnt suck....but its just not good.....much like MEH at this point.

But its promising. We still dont know what the endgame is. There are very little PvE elements right now, so it looks like it may just have a niche market much like Guild Wars.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:28 am

redeye wrote:
"Blizzard execs seen cackling gleefully as they do a half gainer into their vaults of money"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frGLMtGsotc

Go to 0:21.5.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:39 am

So I played some this weekend......I have a strange feeling its all gonna end up like AOC. I am not a big PvPer in MMO's but damn besides leveling there just isnt much in the way of PvE.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: Sharpen your Axes

Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:50 pm

I pre-ordered anyhow because I'm an MMO whore and for $10 I can get early access, if I want to I can purchase the rest. Anyone else abel to download the beta client and then not able to authenticate for the patcher?
Corsair 600T | MSI Tomahawk b450 | AMD Ryzen 3700x | 16GB Corsair Vengeance PC 3000 | AData 1TB m.2 | Asus ROG Swift Gsync 27"

Steba
Gerbil First Class

Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:12 pm

pete_roth wrote:
I pre-ordered anyhow because I'm an MMO whore and for $10 I can get early access, if I want to I can purchase the rest. Anyone else abel to download the beta client and then not able to authenticate for the patcher?

I can help with that :wink:

first you need to register your beta key at

https://betacenter.eamythic.com/login.php

There you need to follow directions to register and also submit a dxdiag file... it explains everything.

When your done there you need to make a master account here

https://accounts.eamythic.com/

this is also the area to enter any additional codes you have.. i.e. bonus items or head start.

Use the log in information from the master account (not the first site) to log into the patcher/game.

if you have anymore questions let me know... btw it wont be this complicated with launch just beta, they want to screen the various computer types and need to handle all the different codes...

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:26 pm

I did all that, I realize I can't play until early access (sept 7th IIRC) but I still can't patch, which may be by design, but it's telling me my info is wrong - yet I can sign into my mythic master account.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:45 pm

So when I log into my account at EAMYTHIC, and under the "features" tab, it shows I have "open beta", "head start" and "Best Buy" pre-order rewards. I have downloaded the beta, when I launch the exe it asks for a login for the patcher, I put in my account information and it doesn't work.

Steba
Gerbil First Class

Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:21 pm

pete_roth wrote:
So when I log into my account at EAMYTHIC, and under the "features" tab, it shows I have "open beta", "head start" and "Best Buy" pre-order rewards. I have downloaded the beta, when I launch the exe it asks for a login for the patcher, I put in my account information and it doesn't work.

I just double checked by loging into my pather and it worked for me, just got 200mb update. If you are certain your using the master account info then it must just be that you only had the open beta code and they haven't added the open beta master accounts yet. I was part of closed beta, though even i cant play now since they are down until the open begins. Your probably all set and just need to wait until open beta begins when they'll add all of you guys to the list.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:28 pm

Does it matter where you downloaded the beta client to? I just have it sitting on my desktop. Also, do you know if when/if I purchase the full version I'll need to reinstall from the disc or just patch ?

Steba
Gerbil First Class

Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:49 pm

pete_roth wrote:
Does it matter where you downloaded the beta client to? I just have it sitting on my desktop. Also, do you know if when/if I purchase the full version I'll need to reinstall from the disc or just patch ?

it shouldn't matter where you have it downloaded to as long as you access from that area. In other words if you have it in a certain folder you can't drag and drop the patcher.exe on your desktop and expect it to work, however you can create a shortcut for that patcher.exe on your desktop and it WILL work.

When you get the full version you will NOT need to reinstall from the disc.... Once you receive the full version in the mail or store or whatever it will include a registration key you must enter. There will be a "grace period" because some will need to wait for it to be delivered but after a certain amount of time, if you don't enter that key, you will NOT be able to play until you do.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:33 am

Well I'll just have to wait until Sunday I guess. The client I downloaded was from fileplanet, and it had to be authenticated there before you could even download it. So I know my key was valid, and my account seems in good standing. I'll find out sunday if the login becomes valid.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:15 am

Steba wrote:
PvP is one of the funnest parts of any MMO,

HAHAHA ummm No. You only think that because some asinine dev made you think that. MMO's grew up from MUD's which were all centered around PvE, ENCOUNTERS.

For someone who says they have "played wow for the last 5 years" You certainly do not come off very knowledgeable about it. And I dare guess that either you were not very good or haven't even seen most endgame content.

Anyways...WHO will have its fanboi's, its niche market. They may even take some of the WOW player base. Only time will tell how well it will do.

Oh and I am very versed in WHO I have been in both closed beta's and now open.

NINJA EDIT: Oh and if I want to PvP I will go play TF2. :roll:
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:03 am

You can't argue what is and isn't fun. Steba's idea of fun can be different that yours, but you can't say that for him PvP isn't the most fun. Would WoW be as fun if we stripped battlegrounds out entirely? Probably not. I like a great PvE experience mixed in with PVP, and now PVR ala mythic's Age of Camelot.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:26 am

You are right I shouldn't argue fun.

But I do want to say this about the collision detection mechanic WHO is using. It sucks plain and simple. A caster can kite a melee person indefinitely while using the "collision detection" to his/hers advantage. AOC used the same mechanic, it doesnt work! It sucks!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:20 am

tanker27 wrote:

But I do want to say this about the collision detection mechanic WHO is using. It sucks plain and simple. A caster can kite a melee person indefinitely while using the "collision detection" to his/hers advantage. AOC used the same mechanic, it doesnt work! It sucks!

I played both classes in AoC and I honestly never had that issue, maybe it was fixed? I hope that's not the case though, that would be pretty bad.

Steba
Gerbil First Class

Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:08 am

pete_roth wrote:
tanker27 wrote:

I played both classes in AoC and I honestly never had that issue, maybe it was fixed? I hope that's not the case though, that would be pretty bad.

Yea i don't know what tanker is talking about.... would you care to give an example because i have not seen this to be an issue??. Second there is currently one issue/ glitch with it that causes a character to "blink" because of CD, but it is in beta and they have already stated that they are fully aware of it and have a team working on it.... it may already be fixed with the latest patch.

Heres another reason why the collision detection is AWESOME. it adds more strategy and skill which that other not named game lacks. I know i mentioned how it causes you to actually control your char instead of jumping and spamming but it also adds more depth to keep battles... say your in a big keep battle where you guys are inside with the doors locked and the enemy is out there battering them down. if / when they actually bust the door down, you can place a few tanks in the entrances with some healers locked and loaded behind them.... no one can simply pass through the tanks. its not like wow where this big bad tank all of the sudden is invisible! YES ladies and Gents, tanks acutually tank! crazy concept i know. They can stand in your way and block. So now you create this cool mini battle for control of any entrance/ choke points. Its really how PvP should have been all the time. I mean its similar to something that would occur in real life. People don't just become ghosts of thin air to walk through!

on another note. they also stayed true to the archetypes. tanks in this game don't magically become a fruit of the loom clothies when they have say 3 people attacking them. They have heavy plate armor and it shows. they take quite a beating and a bit of work to bring down in pvp and i think thats awesome. thats how it should be. a big bad tank shouldnt fall to his knees like they did in wow the second he has to tank a few enemies at once (referring to PvP here), i mean that is their whole point isnt it? that doesnt mean they are the end all, cause they still obiously don't damage as much.

BTW pete, if you liked DAoC your gonna love this game.... it builds on all of DAoC's principles and improves (they're both from Mythic as i'm sure you know). this time though there is only two realms so it's more hardcore war without that random alliance coming into play to ruin your fight.

BuddhistFish
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:58 am

I played DAoC for several years (from beta to the release of Darkness Rising) before I left for different pastures. Mythic failed to balance DAoC. The game provided me with some of the best PvP experiences I've ever had. But, class and item balance in the game have never been resolved. Atlantis broke RvR/PvP in the game so badly that Mythic felt the need to release servers that did not include the content provided by that expansion. I have little faith that Mythic will not make the same mistakes with Warhammer, therefore I will not even considering playing it for a long time.
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:56 pm

there are many issues where you have clear line of site to charge, cast, or hit and you get LOS errors. A caster can be standing in the open and you cannot charge because of LOS which is caused by the collision detection mechanic. What more do you want?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Steba
Gerbil First Class

Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:20 pm

tanker27 wrote:
there are many issues where you have clear line of site to charge, cast, or hit and you get LOS errors. A caster can be standing in the open and you cannot charge because of LOS which is caused by the collision detection mechanic. What more do you want?

personally i have never had this problem in beta. second i doubt it even exsists, since you claim to have played beta yet there is no "charge" in the game on any of the chars i have played. the tanks don't charge... seems like your making this one up or picking it up off another forum. there was a slight LOS issue with the "cone of effect" area but the developers know this and seems to already be fixed... playing the PW+ right now.

secondly those "cone of effect" issues had NOTHING to do with collision detection. They were just general bugs.
Last edited by Steba on Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steba
Gerbil First Class

Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:22 pm

BuddhistFish wrote:
I played DAoC for several years (from beta to the release of Darkness Rising) before I left for different pastures. Mythic failed to balance DAoC. The game provided me with some of the best PvP experiences I've ever had. But, class and item balance in the game have never been resolved. Atlantis broke RvR/PvP in the game so badly that Mythic felt the need to release servers that did not include the content provided by that expansion. I have little faith that Mythic will not make the same mistakes with Warhammer, therefore I will not even considering playing it for a long time.

this was a well known issue, however Mythic was well aware of this and they completely admit it... not only that but they publicly stated that they plan on avoiding such pitfalls with Warhammer online. So i doubt the same mistake would be made twice.