Moderators: renee, Hoser

matnath1
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mass Effect Win 7 64 Bit Crashes Rite from Utility Screen

Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:41 pm

Here's my rig:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 883229129R

It's a Cyber Power Gamer Ultra with 64 bit win 7 that I added a 1Gig Hd4850 card to...

Brand CyberpowerPC
Model Gamer Ultra 2019
Processor AMD Athlon II X2 245(2.9GHz)
HD 4850 1G
4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800
Win 7 64 bit

After installing Mass Effect and running it the config utility appears than crashes.. Any fixes?

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Mass Effect Win 7 64 Bit Crashes Rite from Utility Screen

Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:25 am

Update your drivers. I had this same problem, but after updating my sound card driver I had no problem.

Also, are you overclocking? Mass Effect wouldn't work if my GPU was overclocked at all.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:50 am

I have not had this problem. BUT! from a few folks I know, the issue always seems to be audio drivers.
(drunk post, sorry )

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:43 pm

So after searching the UT3 forums for like issues (ME and UT3 use the same engine) I stumbled across a post that stated the following:

1) in /program files/Mass Effect/Binaries locate the OpenAL32.dll and wrap_oal.dll files

2) Rename OpenAL32.dll to OpenAL32.bak

3) Rename wrap_oal.dll to OpenAL32.dll

4) Launch as Admin by using the MassEffect.exe

5) Enjoy

you dont have to do step 4 since you are using Win 7
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP

Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:08 pm

I used the fix earlier this year that was listed by tanker27 and it made the unplayable game playable all the way through -- no further crashes.

EDIT - changed "with" to "this"
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech

BerserkBen
Gerbil Elite

Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:12 pm

I just installed the game less than an hour ago and had the same issues. First thing I did was look for an update and installed the free downloadable content for the game that I believe comes with big fixes, made sure I ran the game as administrator and it stopped crashing. I have Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit and my video card is overclocked.

This link has a bunch of bug work-arounds as well:
http://meforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.h ... &forum=127

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:36 pm

Just re-installed the game: you need the DLC, Bring Down the Sky, and the 1.02 patch off of Fileshack, and all is well. Note that there is a paid DLC called something station out there as well, that you'll need to be fully patched for.

matnath1
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:47 pm

Thanks Airmanthartp BUT.....WHat is a DLC?

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:47 pm

matdem1 wrote:
Thanks Airmanthartp BUT.....WHat is a DLC?

Downloadable Content. The first one, which is free, also patches the game. I also noted that until I patched the game, I couldn't get the configuration screen to load without crashing.

tazmo8448
Gerbil In Training

Re: Mass Effect Win 7 64 Bit Crashes Rite from Utility Scree

Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:41 pm

I did the rename thing (from tanker27 above) in binaries and it did not repeat did not change a thing..... I still get the windows configuration box that runs and then closes out the game.....and when I go to properties there is no Run as Administrator.....btw I have win7x64 Hm Prem also and have a WEI 5 rating and I also have downloaded and played ME2, both games I have are DVDs ....the ME1 is a UK version as it was the only ones that were reasonable on Amazon and should that make any difference other than the dialogue is toned down a bit from US ver.....the back cover of ME1 says it is for Vista and Vista OS game I haven't had that much trouble with and when I did download the game (ME1) it took the key code and did not connect to steam to verify. Any body with any more ideas??? this being a 3 yr old post hopefully somebody is still out there....ah I'll just do a new topic
Sam~

glases
Gerbil In Training

Re: Mass Effect Win 7 64 Bit Crashes Rite from Utility Scree

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:51 pm

tazmo8448 wrote:
I did the rename thing (from tanker27 above) in binaries and it did not repeat did not change a thing..... I still get the windows configuration box that runs and then closes out the game.....and when I go to properties there is no Run as Administrator.....btw I have win7x64 Hm Prem also and have a WEI 5 rating and I also have downloaded and played ME2, both games I have are DVDs ....the ME1 is a UK version as it was the only ones that were reasonable on Amazon and should that make any difference other than the dialogue is toned down a bit from US ver.....the back cover of ME1 says it is for Vista and Vista OS game I haven't had that much trouble with and when I did download the game (ME1) it took the key code and did not connect to steam to verify. Any body with any more ideas??? this being a 3 yr old post hopefully somebody is still out there....ah I'll just do a new topic
Sam~

I had this problem 30 min ago, read the tanker's post and fixed it :).
Do not run the shortcut which is on your desktop (or MassEffectLauncher.exe which is located in the installation folder) and you will not activate the configuration box (which, in my opinion, crashes the game) . Just run MassEffect.exe (it is located in the Binaries folder).
It works on my PC (win7x64 proff) and laptop (win7x64 Home Basic).
Good luck :)