Moderators: renee, Hoser

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Minecraft

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:38 am

thegleek wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Sill hosted on the green Frankenbox?

yup! still running great! no ram disk needed, no lag, it runs like a CRAY XK7 server! 8)

For those of you who weren't at the 2012 BBQ swap fest, this was a butt-ugly full tower Socket 754 system gleek took off my hands. He offered me $20 for it then discovered he was short on cash, so I let him have it in exchange for a $20 donation pledge to the fireworks fund! :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:18 pm

5150 wrote:
I don't think Glorious needed a RAMdisk, I'm still having some issues so I think the lag is just out in the cloud.

Yeah, I mostly went with the ramdisk because without Bukkit minecraft doesn't have multi-threaded chunk loading or chunk pre-loading. Since I (probably unnecessarily at this point) restart the server every night at 4:30 AM to do a clean backup, this means that every time a user is a the first in an area that day all the chunks need to be loaded. The chunk load delay can be noticeable, and I find it annoying. Since Bukkit isn't out for 1.7.2 yet we just have to wait.

I thought that might contribute to your problem, but you experienced severe packet loss at one point, which indeed indicates there is something strange between us out in the "cloud". I thought maybe your problem was multi-faceted and you will also experiencing the chunk load delay, but eh.

I have two thoughts about this: First, do you experience the lag when you are the only one on the server and are more than 10 chunks from your cow farm? I'm just curious, because that many entities can definitely chew up a lot of resources. I'm just wondering if that's related or otherwise contributing factor.

The other thought: I have a VPS with a terabyte a month of bandwidth that's almost entirely unused. I could setup port-forwarding from there to my minecraft server. That's actually tier-1 hosting versus my residential/non-business connection that the minecraft server is on. That might offer a different path which would avoid the strangeness you see. Let me know if you want to give that a shot.

thegleek wrote:
I wonder how 2 servers can be linked together (perhaps through a bukkit mod or via portal)?

probably more difficult then its worth. however, i've seen mega-servers that can handle 6,000+ users on at once... crazy!

Actually, Gleek, that would be really cool! There is something called BungieCord that will do that between different servers, but yes, you need bukkit. So for now... :cry:

BUT, once bukkit is out, would you want to try and set something like that up? I'd be glad to work with you.

superjawes wrote:
Yeah, I'm not sure how you would connect two servers in different locations. You could shut down both servers, save the maps, and bring them back up with a combined hub that links to different maps.

Yeah, multiverse does that, but again, bukkit. :cry:

JBI wrote:
For those of you who weren't at the 2012 BBQ swap fest, this was a butt-ugly full tower Socket 754 system gleek took off my hands. He offered me $20 for it then discovered he was short on cash, so I let him have it in exchange for a $20 donation pledge to the fireworks fund!

Yeah, the computer I run the minecraft server is sort of an all-sorts machine too, heh.

Blink
Gerbil

Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:17 am

I had some issues yesterday on Glorious server. Crossing the bridge to the trading post near the castle made me lag bad enough it was like stop motion. When I apprroached from other directions I didn't have any issues. I may have been the first one there and loading all of the castle I suppose.

P.S. I died a horrible noob death. :oops:
“If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face—forever.”
― George Orwell, 1984

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:00 am

At Philldoe's request, I've manually generated a map of the world now:

http://main.sonderweg.net/mcmap/index.html

If there is interest, I can automatically re-run every so often so it stays somewhat updated. let me know. I'm still waiting for craftbukkit and dynmap. :cry:

5150cd: are you still having lag issues? I tried pinging your IP at one point, but I suppose your router-thingie blocks all traffic. If you wish, I can definitely do that port-forwarding thing from my VPS that's hosted in NYC. It gets ~20ms pings to my minecraft server and there's a chance you'll have a better path to it than to my residential/non-commercial FIOS connection. Let me know.

Blink (or Justin_the_first): Hm. That's interesting. Let me know if you continue to have lag issues.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:08 am

I think the issue might have been too many chickens...I took a trip over to 5150's plot and started to experience some major slow motion. Not even lag, just slow movement and animation. After a few disconnects, I made it into his chicen coup, slaughtered the bunch, and that fixed it.

There might still be some issues caused by having a lot of cows and pigs, but their populations weren't as high, and they certainly weren't glitching out of the pens like the chickens were.

PS, 5150, I left all the eggs for the chickens in a chest in that pen if you want to restart. Just don't go too crazy with them :wink:
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:54 pm

Hey blorbic, if you want on the server you just have to ask. :P

All TR peoples are welcome.

DLHM
Gerbil First Class

Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:41 pm

I would like on the server, I've been on Gleeks for a couple years..
Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit!

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:55 pm

If your minecraft name is also DLHM you've been white-listed :)

DLHM
Gerbil First Class

Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:00 pm

It is! Thanks!
Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit!

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:28 pm

my kids play minecraft on the ipad...I don't get it
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:41 pm

I glitched really hard last week, had my new diamond gear on and when I came out of the glitch I was in the middle of lava and died. Pretty much have rage quit after that. I'll be back eventually, just too mad right now. :lol:

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:53 pm

I don't ever use them, but I do actually have op powers. If you want, reparations can be made :P

Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:57 pm

Thanks, but that's ok. That's the way it goes sometimes. I'll get back on the horse eventually. :)

superjawes

Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:10 pm

5150 wrote:
Thanks, but that's ok. That's the way it goes sometimes. I'll get back on the horse eventually. :)

Literally. Your house is by some horses :lol:
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Skullzer
Gerbil First Class

Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:51 pm

So my 7 year old daughter has been playing minecraft on our iPad for a while, she's also addicted to minecraft YouTube videos. I'm think of getting the PC version for her for Christmas, anything I need to know? She talks about all the mods she sees on YouTube videos, is that something that we would download locally or are they hosted on the server she would play on? Also, speaking of servers, ill probably request an invite to Glorious' server as soon as we're up and running. Are there any kid friendly servers that you guys know of?
Office PC:
AMD Phenom II x4 955 | ASUS M4A87TD Evo | 8GB ddr3 | EVGA GTX 970 4GB | Antec BP 550 | Antec 300 | Win 7 64
HTPC:
Intel i5-4570 | ASRock H87M | 8GB ddr3 | EVGA GTX 960 2GB | Corsair CX430M | Fractal Design Node 605 | Win 7 64

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:06 am

Skullzer wrote:
So my 7 year old daughter has been playing minecraft on our iPad for a while, she's also addicted to minecraft YouTube videos. I'm think of getting the PC version for her for Christmas, anything I need to know? She talks about all the mods she sees on YouTube videos, is that something that we would download locally or are they hosted on the server she would play on? Also, speaking of servers, ill probably request an invite to Glorious' server as soon as we're up and running. Are there any kid friendly servers that you guys know of?

Well, you need to install the Java Runtime Environment, which I'd recommend you make sure stays patched and NOT available as plug-in for any browser because there is a lot of nasty malware out there.

As to mods, that depends on what kind of mods. Most of the visual mods, like shaders for water and stuff, don't require any server components and you would install them yourself. I don't know a whole lot about mods outside of server-side stuff.

You are more than welcome to play on my server. It should be family-friendly, only TR regulars and people I know in real-life. Most of them have kids too at this point, so nothing inappropriate should be going on. It isn't open to the public or anything and if anyone is misbehaving I'll un-whitelist them. I wouldn't think that would be a problem though.

Just PM or post your minecraft account username if you want in.

---

As to my server, craftbukkit was released but with ominous notes about "stability." So, I might keep an eye on the development progress before I use it, and I'm not sure what the status of dynmap is. The Bukkit API also changed a fair bit, so plug-in compatibility is up in the air too. I'll let things shake out for a few more days.

Also, probably sometime on Saturday/Sunday I am going to bring the server down for 8 hours or something. I harvested some memory that I want to install the server, as well as install new HD, so I'll run some diagnostics for awhile. I'll let everyone know here.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:14 pm

Bringing the server down for the memory upgrade.

when it comes back up I should have craftbukkit and dynmap running. I'll let everyone know the details.

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:46 pm

Glorious wrote:
Bringing the server down for the memory upgrade.

when it comes back up I should have craftbukkit and dynmap running. I'll let everyone know the details.

wewt
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:47 am

Alright, server went back up awhile ago, but as of 8:30 AM EST it is now running craftbukkit 2945 and dynmap is once again available at:

main.sonderweg.net/dynmap

Craftbukkit might still be flaky, I'll be updating to the newest version every so often. Let me know if anyone experiences any problems.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:38 am

Not sure if I'm going to maintain or keep my MC server up any longer... It's all yours Glorious...

I have gone full-on StarBound now... See my post at: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=92402

Thank you for all the fun years of MC'n. Now onwards to SB'n! 8)

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:12 pm

We could still use a couple more people on the server, as an incentive I've got a ton of materials I can give out to get people started.

And as a nice treat I've got a resource pack here that everyone on the server should use. DLHM and I agree it makes things look fantastic.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25334203/Definitance.7z

It's just the stock Difinitance texture pack but I modified the dark oak wood to be the proper color.

Here are a few screenshots to show you what you're missing ;)

http://i57.tinypic.com/2ps378g.png

http://i59.tinypic.com/6p1cfn.png

http://i60.tinypic.com/29wl5vk.png
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:40 pm

I was trying to upgrade to a newer version of craftbukkit to deal with the 1.7.* updates, but I've somehow got the player inventory data screwed up. The world is fine.

I am going to bring the server down until I sort the issue out.

DHLM, when you logged on, did you mess with your inventory? You might have noticed you spawned somewhere old and had the wrong stuff in the inventory.

If you put anything in your inventory the few moments you were on you might lose it when I revert back to what everyone had this morning.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:36 pm

Server is back up and inventories & locations should be correct again.

DHLM, let me know if you lost something during the revert. I'll make it right.

Thanks.

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:05 am

What's up with the server?

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:31 am

Phildoe wrote:
What's up with the server?

Something appears to be wrong with my no-ip.biz dynamic DNS thingie..

I'll let you know when I find out more.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:38 am

Ok. It's the Government and Microsoft:

https://www.noip.com/blog/2014/06/30/ip ... -takedown/

I'm at work right now, when I get a chance I'll grab the actual IP and post it here. That should work until this legal thing blows over.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:04 am

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:12 am

Glorious wrote:

Owned by Verizon at the moment through a 3rd party name.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:44 am

It's the IP my house has at the moment, and thus my minecraft server.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:50 am

I don't really play much anymore but ugh, this is worse than Facebook buying Oculus... :cry: