Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Official Fallout: New Vegas Discussion Thread

Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:56 pm

It's pre-loading in Steam, and should be available in the next two days!

I'm definitely looking forward to the changes, and seeing how my decisions affect a fully open world. Cheers!

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Official Fallout: New Vegas Discussion Thread

Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:14 pm

Heh, I'm a cheap bastard. I'll wait for the reviews to see if it's worth getting, then hang back until the GOTY edition is out for $19. :D

Bought Fallout 3 Collector's Edition for $60, but refused to buy crummy Microsoft points for DLC*. Ended up rebuying the GOTY for cheaper than 2 expansions.

* I am, however, quite happy that New Vegas no longer uses GFWL.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:27 pm

Voldenuit wrote:
Ended up rebuying the GOTY for cheaper than 2 expansions.

I was thinking that as well. It certainly wouldn't be the first time I've purchased a game twice. (HL2 in the Orange box). But there was only 2 DLC I thought worthwhile (Operation:Anchorage for the story and Brotherhood of Steel for the, well, everything). The Pitt was "meh" and Point Lookout just seemed...weird. Didn't play Mothership Zeta. That, when those DLC's finally came out it was my third play through and I had used the "character cheat"* so I had all the NPC's. With BoS and OA I could keep all my characters but everytime I went to the pitt or the point I'd lose them and have to go hunt them down and use the cheat to get them back. Very annoying and time consuming and limited my enjoyment of those DLC's.

* Having beaten the game twice before normally, I wanted to see how much ownage I could have with Faux, Charon, Sydney, Sargent RL-3, Star Paladin Cross and Dog Meat. Apparently, quite a bit. That group could take on a Super Mutant Behemoth and win without me firing a shot and losing anybody. Albino Scorpions I usually lost DogMeat. I had more fun owning the wasteland with that group then I did actually playing the game properly!
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Voldenuit

Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:21 am

Sargent Duck wrote:
Very annoying and time consuming and limited my enjoyment of those DLC's.

Yeah, it didn't help that the DLCs were actually buggier than the original game as shipped. :(

Ars just reviewed New Vegas, and as expected of an Obsidian game, they had a plethora of bugs to report. Boo. Yet another reason for me to wait on it (patches). They did seem to like it, though.

I'm also not a fan of the whole DLC phenomenon - they almost always represent worse value than the retail game, but at least Oby and Behtsoft are not guilty of perpetrating '0-day DLCs' like Bioware is, where they're ransoming players for DLC to get the full experience or power-laden gear (and NPCs).
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Voldenuit

Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:47 am

Hehe. Obsidian quality FTL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToKIkw3LIoQ&feature=player_embedded

Soo... playable game in 3 months? Maybe?

A friend just installed FONV, and he reports strange graphical glitches like the dog's eyes floating perpendicular to the sockets. :o
Wind, Sand and Stars.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:18 am

I hate the Karma system, if I steal from a thief why does my Karma take a hit?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Voldenuit

Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:27 am

tanker27 wrote:
I hate the Karma system, if I steal from a thief why does my Karma take a hit?

Because stealing from bad people doesn't make it right. I find it quite telling that many ppl are complaining about this "oversight" and blithely ignoring the ethical implications.

Or maybe I'm just over-analysing a game mechanic. :P
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Corrado

Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:36 am

Voldenuit wrote:
Because stealing from bad people doesn't make it right. I find it quite telling that many ppl are complaining about this "oversight" and blithely ignoring the ethical implications.

Or maybe I'm just over-analysing a game mechanic. :P

Exactly. If you murder someone that murdered someone, you're still a murderer.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:15 am

You all are right, two wrongs dont make right.

Something is quite not right with Las Vegas compared to 3, I can put my finger on it.......
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP

Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:28 am

I'll put it on my Amazon Christmas wish list -- some patches should be out by then. If not, I'll wait until next year to play it--when I should have finished up all the DLC for Fallout 3.
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech

roont
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:46 am

it's pretty glitchy unfortunatly =\

hoping for some updates to imporve performance. I'm surprised that you, the main character, aren't a vault dweller. Oh well.

So far seems basically like a really really raelly big DLC for FO3. But then again I've only put in 2 hours or so.
"...and she says, 'That's not my expansion slot.' So my friend says, 'That's not my gold plated 22-pin connector!! Ah-hahahaHA!"

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:01 am

First opinion after an hour:

I cannot pull back far enough from the character when running around the wastelands. It takes up too much screen real estate. Twice I have have something (from a group) attack and damage me while the cinematic death scene of their colleagues passing was playing. Seems like the eye candy is a step back from FO3, and I have everything maxed (Ultra) on a 1920 x 1200 display.
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:09 am

As far as glitches goes I havent found anything gamebreaking yet but a ton of graphic anomalies and screen flashes and tears.

The story isnt really grabbing me. :-? I dont feel a connection to anyone yet, I am about three hours in so far. I am trying to push through but this may end up sitting on the back burner for a bit.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:28 am

roont wrote:
it's pretty glitchy unfortunatly =\

I'm surprised that you, the main character, aren't a vault dweller. Oh well.

Las Vegas never got nuked. Anybody that did run into a vault would come out once they realized it was safe (probably a month or two) and everybody who didn't make it into a vault would just continue as normal.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Voldenuit

Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:31 am

roont wrote:
I'm surprised that you, the main character, aren't a vault dweller. Oh well.

Technically, neither was the protagonist in FO2.

I'll probably be getting this at some point, just not right now (with all the bugs) nor at full retail price.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

UltimateImperative
Gerbil First Class

Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:32 am

13 hours in (vacations), I haven't seen really bad bugs either (just AIs getting stuck stupidly, and an ant stuck inside a concrete beam, and a few crashes). Oh, and going into VATS is choppy, just like it was with my 4770 in fallout 3 (but going with a 5870 had fixed that), but I don't use VATS this time around.

I find the story about as good as Fallout 3's, although my character is getting strong enough that the "survival" gameplay element is going away a bit.

The one thing that really bothers me is actually the art direction: I get that I have to suspend disbelief that wooden-framed builing would last 200 years without any maintenance (although it may be a little more realistic in the desert than in DC), and that without a functioning economy, people aren't going to paint or put on new wallpaper. But given that there are brooms everywhere, why is there litter everywhere in occupied buildings?
i5-750 @ 3.3 GHz; Asus P7P55D-E Pro; Thermalright Silver Arrow; Antec P183; 4 GB; 2x Radeon HD 6950; Corsair HX650.

Alabama_Enigma
Gerbil

Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:32 pm

UltimateImperative wrote:
But given that there are brooms everywhere, why is there litter everywhere in occupied buildings?

LOL! I love Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but I've always wondered the same thing. You'd think they'd clean it up a bit. It's only been a couple hundred years since the bombs dropped.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:00 pm

because they're hard heated, hard hearted survivors and have more important things to worry about in the grimdark future!
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Kevlar
Gerbil

Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:15 pm

This is probably the most bloated rpg to date

UltimateImperative
Gerbil First Class

Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:38 pm

Kevlar wrote:
This is probably the most bloated rpg to date

Just curious, what do you mean by that?
i5-750 @ 3.3 GHz; Asus P7P55D-E Pro; Thermalright Silver Arrow; Antec P183; 4 GB; 2x Radeon HD 6950; Corsair HX650.

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:39 pm

I'm hoping that this ends up being like KotOR 2. From what I understand, KotOR 2 was almost unplayable when it first came out and even today it's still buggy. I picked it up about a year after it came out and loved it. It's still my favorite game.

I used to just wait for the price on a game to fall before buying it, but now I feel as though I need to wait for the GotY edition with the bundled DLC. I really enjoyed Fallout 3, but I felt that the DLC wasn't on the same level as the rest of the game. If it were Bethesda making the DLC, I'd definitely sit it out, but I really like Obsidian's storytelling and I'm interested to see what they do.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

Wintermane
Gerbil Elite

Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:28 pm

Im greatly enjoying the game bugs and all. Turn off music and turn down water effects all the way and that should make the game more stable for you.

They will likely have the bigger bugs nailed down within a few weeks.

Its the save system thats annoying me.. every time you start a new session it starts from 1 again on its numbering system ...lucky tho every save has char name and time played on it so its easy to find last saves..

OH whatever you do turn off autosaves and dont use quick saves.. gamebryo doesnt handle that well either... and with steam on top.... messy.
If at first you dont succeed use a bigger hammer.

dolemitecomputers

Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:14 pm

Rhonda and Best Friend Tabitha on the Black Mountain radio = win. :D
Last edited by dolemitecomputers on Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
| May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house |

Sunburn74
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:09 pm

Just beat the game on one play through.

Lots of bugs. Lots of bugs. Many missions have bugs where despite meeting the mission criteria, the mission won't advance. Pray you don't save over an earlier savepoint that avoids the bug.

Short game. About 15-20 hrs to beat. If you want to fully explore everything, I'd say it takes over 100 hours. This doesn't mean 100 quality hours of gameplay either.

All the missions are more or less the same. Fetch this, bring it back. Kill this guy, come back.

Overall considering I paid 50 bucks for it, I'd give it a 6.5-7/10.

and darn it, why don't they let you have a horse or a bike or something? The main character runs around at a snails pace.
Last edited by Sunburn74 on Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i7 2600k @4.4 ghz 1.26v - GA-P67X-UD3 - 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz - Evga Geforce GTX 570 - 2x 120gb Vertex 3 Raid-0 - Seagate Barracude 1.5TB - Silverstone FT02- HP 2709M Monitor

Ozenmacher
Gerbil First Class

Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:28 pm

I played the first game, found it fun for the first 15 hours before it became boring. From everything I have read, it seems they didn't advance any of the gameplay or graphics. It seems hard to believe, given this information, they still have all these bugs in what is essentially a sequel.

swaaye
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:33 pm

Obsidian games are just about always more than a little buggy but usually the gameplay makes up for it........ And their community inevitably fixes the games for them lol.

Their Fallout 3 release here reminds me of KOTOR2 because they are again using an aging engine and yet the game is loaded with bugs. :)

michael_d
Gerbil Elite

Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:35 am

If anyone who played both S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Fallout 3 how do they compare?

IAmGhostDog
Gerbil Elite

Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:30 am

Sunburn74 wrote:

Short game. About 15-20 hrs to beat. If you want to fully explore everything, I'd say it takes over 100 hours.

Isn't that the point of the FallOut series?
To explore.
To find new areas.
To do main quest + side quests.
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3 | XFX R9 390 | Win7 x64
HT Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll w/ Stanton 681EEE MKlll | Klipsch Promedia v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:21 pm

I'm about 10 hours in and...am somewhat underwhelmed. Yes, it's more of the same as FO3 which I loved, but they copied and pasted so much. I haven't made it to Vegas yes, but as has been mentioned before, yes, the wooden shacks the same, and so is so much of the other buildings. Even Sunny and that old guy at Vikie's are exact copies of Sydney and Elder Lyons. I mean, c'mon at least change the hair color. I'm dissapointed that after 2 years nobody actually bothered to update the art. Other than that, more of the same fun that I enjoyed with FO3.

Only ran into one bug so-far, and that was a clipping error where I walked into a mountain and couldn't get out.

Any body bother with swapping ammunition? So far I can't be bothered to make different types, that just seems tedious.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:44 am

I use different types when it calls for it. You might find you want to when up against heavily armored targets most specifically. I haven't found a use for hollow point yet. Seems to me about every tough enemy is tough because of heavy armor, which hp is useless against.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.