Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Vrock
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Dear Atari

Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:22 am

Please stop destroying classic Atari 2600 franchises with crappy, downloadable remakes that bear little to no resemblance to the games they're supposedly based on. I'm looking at you, Star Raiders and Yar's Revenge.

Sincerely,

Vrock.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Dear Atari

Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:26 am

U MAD?
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Vrock
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:33 am

bthylafh wrote:
U MAD?

Disappointed. Some of my earliest gaming memories involve playing these two titles on the ol' 2600, and I was hoping for a modern update that didn't, well, suck. The new Yar's is an afterburner clone, and the new Star Raiders is a generic space shooter with wonky controls. Both also have crummy comic book cut scenes (yes, I know the original games had comic books attached to them, but those were actually pretty decent).

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:41 am

Vrock wrote:
Please stop destroying classic Atari 2600 franchises with crappy, downloadable remakes that bear little to no resemblance to the games they're supposedly based on. I'm looking at you, Star Raiders and Yar's Revenge.

Sincerely,

Vrock.

Actually both of those look pretty good... I loved the originals too, but come on... Star Raiders was essentially a set of cross hairs over a weakly simulated star field; and Yar's was a bug looking thing trying to get at a triangle. I think it's kind of cool to see these games fleshed out with some actual graphics.

Vrock
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:13 pm

cphite wrote:
Vrock wrote:

Sincerely,

Vrock.

Actually both of those look pretty good...
Have you played the demos?

cphite wrote:
I loved the originals too, but come on... Star Raiders was essentially a set of cross hairs over a weakly simulated star field; and Yar's was a bug looking thing trying to get at a triangle. I think it's kind of cool to see these games fleshed out with some actual graphics.
Sounds like you're complaining about the graphics of the originals and not the gameplay. My point exactly: these new versions have the opposite problem. If they'd just tweaked/updated the graphics and a couple of gameply elements with these, I'd have been all over them. Star Raiders in particular could have been great as there's some depth there in the space sim category, and we haven't had a good space sim game in a long, long time.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:14 pm

When I was a kid I played Centipede on the 2600 at my aunt and uncle's house. I thought it was about some sort of crazy space lizard invading Earth. Then I got the game for my own 2600 and saw the box art/manual which explained that you were some sort of witch with a magic wand shooting at bugs in your mushroom garden.

The moral of the story here is that some things are better left to the imagination.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

potatochobit
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:50 pm

someone hasnt seen the screen shots of chop lifter yet!

I.S.T.
Gerbil XP

Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:04 pm

Choplifter HD has a 3D Meat Boy in it. It can't be bad.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:10 pm

Vrock wrote:
cphite wrote:
Vrock wrote:

Sincerely,

Vrock.

Actually both of those look pretty good...
Have you played the demos?

cphite wrote:
I loved the originals too, but come on... Star Raiders was essentially a set of cross hairs over a weakly simulated star field; and Yar's was a bug looking thing trying to get at a triangle. I think it's kind of cool to see these games fleshed out with some actual graphics.
Sounds like you're complaining about the graphics of the originals and not the gameplay. My point exactly: these new versions have the opposite problem. If they'd just tweaked/updated the graphics and a couple of gameply elements with these, I'd have been all over them. Star Raiders in particular could have been great as there's some depth there in the space sim category, and we haven't had a good space sim game in a long, long time.

Oh, come on... game play? Are you serious? Let's consider Star Raiders for a moment... you spent most of your time doing absolutely nothing except occasionally moving the controller to see the star field change. And when there was action, it consisted of trying to shoot randomly moving blobs. You could "steer" a little, which essentially just made the blobs move slightly less randomly.

Yar's Revenge... you controlled what vaguely resembled a flying ant. The goal was to nibble at a shield while a glowing rectangle followed you around, and occasionally the main bad guy threw spinny things at you.

Don't get me wrong, I loved these games. I spend tons and tons of time on both of them. Hell, I still play Yar's from time to time, emulated on my PC. But are you really saying that you'd rather have just seen Yar's Revenge done again, only with your guy looking like a more realistic flying ant, and with an actual missile that followed you around the screen rather than a rectangle? Heck, if that's what you want, pick up a book on Flash and build that yourself the next time to have a free weekend.

Yeah, it would be awesome to see Star Raiders turned into something massive; huge potential there. But I think what they were going for is just an update to an old game, and in that respect, they did okay.

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:29 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
When I was a kid I played Centipede on the 2600 at my aunt and uncle's house. I thought it was about some sort of crazy space lizard invading Earth. Then I got the game for my own 2600 and saw the box art/manual which explained that you were some sort of witch with a magic wand shooting at bugs in your mushroom garden.

The moral of the story here is that some things are better left to the imagination.

When I was a kid I saw the box art for the NES game Life Force, and for some reason came away convinced that it was a Gauntlet-style fantasy game, swords and magic and such, fighting against giant snake monsters and lizards.

Turned out that it was another Gradius. Luckily I liked Gradius. :D

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:40 pm

Not to stray TOO far off topic, but I got Hydlide for my first Christmas after I got an NES. I thought from the box art and screenshots it was going to be an awesome Zelda-type adventure game. Instead, I got Hydlide (and I can vouch for the save system. It was not explained at all in the manual that you had to "save" before you got a password that actually remembered anything)
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:12 pm

Bring back E.T.!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:19 pm

5150 wrote:
Bring back E.T.!

Now that was a friggin sweet game, I don't care what the rest of the world says. It took some oddball logic, and it didn't have much to do with the movie, but I could get that **** from start to going home in like 20 minutes.