Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

BuddhistFish
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Gears of War 3 Epic Edition

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:43 pm

Picked up my Epic Edition copy of Gears of War 3 today. I was very surprised at the quality of the items in the box. My pictures won't do these items justice, but I thought I'd share.

What immediately struck me in the store, was the size of the box. This thing is huge.

Open the top of box and you're greeted with a piece of styrofoam emblazoned with the COG symbol.

Remove the top piece of styrofoam and we get to see the top of the statue of Marcus Fenix, the box that contains the game and assorted swag, and the art book.

Here we have the art book on the left and the game box on the right. The COG medal in the box can be removed, and actually contains an XBOX Live code for some DLC.

Here's the statue of Marcus. Notice he's missing his gun.

The gun that the statue of Marcus is holding is packaged separate from the statue. It's fairly large.

Here's the statue all put together. You can't tell from my pictures (the weak ambient lighting in the room causes the flash to go off leave a nice shine on everything) but the detail is incredible.

Here we have the COG medal, removed from the DVD case.

With the game box open you can see the COG flag on the left (which has more items wrapped up inside it) and the case that actually houses the game on the right.

Here we have the COG flag, unfolded, with the backdrop for the statue in the background.

These are the story items that folded up inside of the flag.

The schematics for the Hammer of Dawn were also in the flag.

Here's the backdrop that was surrounding the statue when it was in the box.

Again, I apologize for the quality of the pictures. While my G2X has an 8mp camera on it the rom it's running takes forever to take a picture, so you have to try and hold the phone still for a long time. Just felt like sharing. The quality of the items in this package really surprised. I've purchased collector's editions of other games in the past, but this has been the best one so far.
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

michael_d
Gerbil Elite

Re: Gears of War 3 Epic Edition

Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:24 pm

The miniature Lancer looks pretty nice. How is the game play?

BuddhistFish
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:07 pm

The gameplay, so far, is classic Gears. There have been a few vehicle sections I've gone through so far. I'm not terribly far in to the game yet, but they're doing an excellent job with connecting you with the characters. After the scenes involving Tai, and the scene with Dom's wife, in GoW2 I was wondering if they were going to be able to connect you to the characters. Dom is obviously scarred from the events of GoW2.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:34 pm

Still waiting for Gears of War 2 on the PC (yes, I'll be waiting forever, I know...)

On topic though, wow, that's quite the collectors edition...epic almost.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:40 am

Sargent Duck wrote:
Still waiting for Gears of War 2 on the PC (yes, I'll be waiting forever, I know...)

Yeah I wish they would port it too....and 3. :cry:
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:28 pm

BuddhistFish wrote:
Picked up my Epic Edition copy of Gears of War 3 today. I was very surprised at the quality of the items in the box.

The quality of the items in this package really surprised. I've purchased collector's editions of other games in the past, but this has been the best one so far.

So, how much does something like this cost?

BuddhistFish
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:41 pm

thegleek wrote:
BuddhistFish wrote:
Picked up my Epic Edition copy of Gears of War 3 today. I was very surprised at the quality of the items in the box.

The quality of the items in this package really surprised. I've purchased collector's editions of other games in the past, but this has been the best one so far.

So, how much does something like this cost?

Retail was $149.99. I had a massive amount of store credit, as I'd recently emptied my storage area out and had traded in several old systems and games I was no longer using/didn't have room for. I didn't really pay for it. I managed to pay for this and drop $30 down on the, similarly priced, collector's edition of Skyrim.

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:14 pm

my flatmate got the epic edition as well as the replica retro lancer, they're actually pretty good.. not that I would spend that much for a big plastic gun but it's pretty cool for a replica. The metal cog is machined really nicely, overall one of the better collectors edition game bundles that I've seen.

the multiplayer gameplay is pretty good too, and very nice to see that they did take on board a lot of the player feedback from the beta... not sure if the campaign will be 'all that', but it will surely be worth a play through.