Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Diablo III

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:30 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
I enjoy the demon hunter but mine is only level 19. With rapid fire, you can mow down rows of mobs with ease. You need +hatred to really make it shine, but you can take the talent that health orbs add back hatred.

I found the wizard slow going so far. Level 21. The wizard looks like it has a lot of options later on, though.

Mine's at 25. Bolas are a primary attack that can mow down mobs, but you need personal patience to make it work (there's like 1 second between hit and detonation), but you can also pair it with increased radius to do more damage to more targets. Other attacks are also really good once you get the runes for them, like the dual Chakra (sp?), which will make that one usable, IMO.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:34 am

tanker27 wrote:
So Inferno as a melee just plain sucks.

Someone tell me which ranged class is good. I have rolled all three (WH, Wiz, WD) and have yet to reach level 20. They are boring to me. Well the WD is fun in a effed up way. I mean you can go wrong using a main attack that throws glass jars full of spiders at mobs right?

I'm at least 35 on all three and I think it depends what strategy you value most

Highly mobile, "kill it before it reaches you" build with some self-healing on cooldown = Demon Hunder.
Less mobile, more damage-mitigating and hard-cc'ing with a few good panic buttons = Wizard. Limited ways to regain lost health though.
Quirky, lower single-target dps but over a wider area with plenty of slows and soft-cc's = Witch Doctor. My minions seem to have low survivability in Hell though, perhaps I'm 'holding it wrong'.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:43 am

Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:15 am

Level 51 Barb just starting Hell.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:09 am

yogibbear wrote:

Good luck, the monk was a tough slog. All I got to say is resist up everything.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

entropy13
Gerbil

Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:44 am

tanker27 wrote:
yogibbear wrote:

Good luck, the monk was a tough slog. All I got to say is resist up everything.

Nah Acts I-III is still manageable without that much resist when in Hell.
P67A-GD65 (B3), i7, GTX 570 (GT 630 temp. card), 8GB RAM, 1TB + 500GB, FSP 700W PSU

allreadydead
Gerbil

Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:46 am

tanker27 wrote:
So Inferno as a melee just plain sucks.

Someone tell me which ranged class is good. I have rolled all three (WH, Wiz, WD) and have yet to reach level 20. They are boring to me. Well the WD is fun in a effed up way. I mean you can go wrong using a main attack that throws glass jars full of spiders at mobs right?

All you need is "one with everything" passive skill and get your preferred resist gear from AH. Also, getting a ~20% block shield+700 DPS'ish weapon really helps. Once you have 500+ resists, you can actually solo Act 1 and you can farm butcher without trouble with said gear. I did with 200ish resists but it was painful, slow and many raging against the game balance in different mediums ocurred. For Act 2 and beyond, you will need the gods come down and help your monk. Else, it doesnt seem possible to solo.

Oh, darkmod really helps too (j/k)
[email protected] GHz, Noctua C14 to keep it cool, ASUS Z68-V PRO/GEN3, 2x4 GB DDR3-1600 G-SKILL RipjawsX, EVGA GTX970 SSC+, Seasonic X750W (no coil whine, yay), 1x256GB Samsung 830 SSD, 2xSamsung 1 TB RAID 0, 1x2 TB WD Green, NEC 7173-S, Enermax Chakra

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:52 pm

So, what's the deal with the commodity auctions? Seems like they've been disabled for over a week. I tend to be paranoid, so that leads me to believe they will come back with "Commodity auctions are real money auction house only."

Maybe they thought the economy was broken enough, what with the cheap price of gold gear.

It is annoying...I guess I was too slow a player. You guys talked about picking up perfect gems for 80g. I could really use some of those :)

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:49 pm

Yeah the one day I saw commodity auctions open (there were 3 or 4 days where they were I guess) I couldn't find anything at all. Now they're closed. :( :( :(
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:18 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
You guys talked about picking up perfect gems for 80g.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that is the reason. I, myself grabbed 5 of each color and have been using them in all my toons ever since.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:43 pm

Has anyone been affected by the rampant hacking yet? A friend of mine lost all of his gold and all of his loot. It seems playing public games puts players at risk. Furthermore, there have been claims that the Blizzard authenticator does not prevent your account from being hacked.

Blizzard is trying their best to cover it up, including deleting forum threads that mention the problem with the authenticators.

Here's a link to an article on Forbes that talks about the problem. Googling it yields tons more results.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/ ... ops-where/

Personally, I'm afraid to play public games until this is resolved. I would recommend that any gerbils playing D3 stick to friends-only or solo play until Blizzard fixes the problem.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:41 am

Two-factor authentication, something you know & something you have, is a very strong security wise. However, with the news that RSA has been compromised it is possible to spoof an authenticator. But its not as easy as you think it is.

The General formula of how logins work is this:

Current time + Embedded Seed + (token) Algorithm = Token Code

Password + Token Code = One time Password

What most people dont realize is that the Token code always syncs with a server to ensure it is 'in-time'. If someone could reverse-engineer or know the Algorithm used this is where a spoofing attack would be 'possible'.

Lastly there is another caveat to all of this and thats the Warden program that runs in the background of all Blizzard products. While Warden is mostly used to search for cheating hacks and APIs it does have a protection module in it that looks for malware and keyloggers.

Do I think there is a problem? Yes
Do I think that people are being hacked that use an authentactor? Possibly. But again it would have to be a very very sophisticated spoof.
Do I think its as widespread as people claim? No

The best defense is to use an authenticator and use a good security/ virus protection program. Don't subject yourself to phising or questionable internet sites. Use strong passwords (uppercase, lowercase, numbers, and a symbol). And generally just be plain smart about things.

Personally I dont play public games but thats just me.

This issue happens from time to time in World of Warcraft, where the forums are all ablaze with recent rashes of of hacking then it dies down for about a year and starts all over again. I find it's like reports of shark attacks, you hear about one then two, and before you know it its a gawd damn epidemic. OMGWTF ill-mutated Sharks with frickin lazer beams on their heads are attacking en masse!

DoK: Nice guide there. I especially like the Barbarian Inferno build, I will definitely be giving that a go this weekend.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:58 am

The problem occurs simply by joining a public game with a hacker in it. It's not that the people who are being hacked are stupid or giving away their passwords. All you need to do to be hacked is join a public game. This is well documented.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
XFX Radeon RX 580

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:13 am

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
The problem occurs simply by joining a public game with a hacker in it. It's not that the people who are being hacked are stupid or giving away their passwords. All you need to do to be hacked is join a public game. This is well documented.

I am sorry but that is just plain impossible. DIII allows for the same name to be used over and over. How would the "hacker" know he is targeting the right Legolas, when there are 400+ others named that? How would a hacker get the password of said person? How would the hacker get IP information?

You say its "well documented" all I have seen is conjecture.

And if the hacking problem is because you joined a public game well there's your solution, DONT join public games! :roll:
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:14 am

Yeah there's definitely a problem. The way I get around it for now is I don't play with strangers. My friends can jump into my game, or I can jump into theirs, but I never join public games and I never open my games to the public. So far I've been safe. I know a guy who got hacked and Blizz was able to restore his guy from like 12 hours before, but it needs to be actually addressed in some meaningful way, not just "fixed" on an individual basis.

tanker you can say it's "not possible" but it has been happening to people. Pretend all you want and play fanboy all you want, but the reality is it happens.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:31 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
tanker you can say it's "not possible" but it has been happening to people. Pretend all you want and play fanboy all you want, but the reality is it happens.

Again, if you say the problem is public games then dont join them! Its quite simple. And the fanboy quip you can shove that right up your fourth point of contact.

Like I said before its all conjecture people are guessing as to what is happening. And like I also stated in my previous post, yes I do believe it is happening. But its nothing new to me and it shouldnt be to you.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

njenabnit
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:11 am

just finished my second playthrough (inferno) with my now level 50 demon hunter. did the second half of it completely solo and all that diablo dropped was a crappy dex+int dagger and some terrible boots. I'm hitting pretty hard now.

I started off with a monk and found that the DH is just more fun to play. I think my monk is sitting somewhere around 25 or 26 now. I guess in defense of my monk, I didn't start buying from the AH until I played with my DH, so the monk has some bad gear.

with the fear of public games being hacked, I would love to play with some TR locals. hit me up at NJEnabnit#1114

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:46 am

I have been playing public games since launch and have not been hacked.
There has not been a single reported case of someone being hacked that used the Authenticator App or the physical Authenticator. The problem came from the naming of the "SMS Authenticator" which HAS NOTHING TO DO with authentication at login.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:55 am

tanker27 wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Again, if you say the problem is public games then dont join them! Its quite simple. And the fanboy quip you can shove that right up your fourth point of contact.

Like I said before its all conjecture people are guessing as to what is happening. And like I also stated in my previous post, yes I do believe it is happening. But its nothing new to me and it shouldnt be to you.

This is dumb. A core feature of the game is broken and you say don't use it. For now that's realistic but it's not a viable long-term solution. Just because it's "nothing new" doesn't mean it shouldn't be addressed and people shouldn't be warned. To try to quell any discussion on the topic is negligent at best and harmful to someone who wasn't aware of it previously at worst.

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:48 am

Well, my anecdote is that I've never played a public game and still ended up hacked.

My email address uses a different password though so that's as far as it got. They rolled me back after 2 days and I attached an authenticator now =/

allreadydead
Gerbil

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:04 am

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6262208 ... w-6_6_2012

They are nerfing Inferno act 2-3-4's monsters HP&Damage because, apparently, it was impossible to beat for some classes. And good news for item hunters, some highest lvl, aka multi million gold babies of AH items, will drop even in Inferno act1. IAS will be nerfed cos, apparently, its not working as intended, aka getting abused. Legendary items will be legendary at last. They wont be surpassed by even magic items in terms of damage and stats after the patch. Crafting will be more efficent. The costs are dropped like 20x. Now you need 100 gold and 2 square gems for flawless square, instead of 3 gems+20k gold.
My barbarian was stuck on Inferno Act2 and I started Wizzy to complete Inferno. Good news for me, maybe I can find a multi million item and get enough funding for act2-3-4 survival worthy gear.
[email protected] GHz, Noctua C14 to keep it cool, ASUS Z68-V PRO/GEN3, 2x4 GB DDR3-1600 G-SKILL RipjawsX, EVGA GTX970 SSC+, Seasonic X750W (no coil whine, yay), 1x256GB Samsung 830 SSD, 2xSamsung 1 TB RAID 0, 1x2 TB WD Green, NEC 7173-S, Enermax Chakra

lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:11 am

njenabnit wrote:
just finished my second playthrough (inferno) with my now level 50 demon hunter. did the second half of it completely solo and all that diablo dropped was a crappy dex+int dagger and some terrible boots. I'm hitting pretty hard now.

I think you meant you did your second playthrough of Hell, not inferno.

To those playing, and haven't hit Act 2 Inferno yet, get ready to cease to have fun with the game. You need ridiculous gear that doesn't drop in Act 1, you need to use one of 2-3 specs, and even then unless you are using exploits/glitches, will die CONSTANTLY. Basically you are *required* to be get extremely lucky, 9-10 times (for each gear slot) or save your gold and buy what you need off the AH.

As far as the hacking concerns go, there have been a few but confirmed "hacked" accounts that had authenticators, but regardless, the amount of "my virus scans found nothing" posts from people without auth's are ridiculously high, implying that there is a flaw in blizz's system allowing either some kind of "spoofing" (which they first said was "impossible" but have now backtracked on) or simply brute forcing the login screen (which had no timeout or lockout after failed attempts, something I believe being patched today in 1.0.3 ).

The game is simply NOT fun in inferno. Farming the higher acts is a tedious activity of constant kiting (even as melee 0_o ) and constant dying. WHITE mobs one or two shot; the hitboxes on projectiles are either ridiculously huge or the constant high latency of the servers (not me) has me detected on top of them instead of the 3 player lengths away I appear on screen (I have 23% runspeed, max is 25%); and some elites have literally impossible combinations (invulnerable minions, jailer, vortex, desecrated for example).

The game revolves around needing to use the AH to progress, or to grind in an order of magnitude well beyond reasonable levels (hundreds of hours for one piece of gear). And the scaling from Hell to just Inferno Act 1 is massive. From an average of 150dps weapons to an average of 500dps weapons. From A1 to A2 you need either stupid high dps (700+ weapon + equivalent gear) or insanely high defensive stats (700+ resists, 50k+ health, 4k+ armor) and even with you die...so much.

There are plenty of people on the forums claiming this isn't true, that the difficulty is fine. These are the people that exploited (now fixed) glitches / specs and were able to get that insane A4 inferno gear, and have full access to the ripe pickings, putting a monopoly on the AH and being the few people able to farm for more and more. Those few that have progressed without sinister methods have gotten extremely lucky with drops or bought their way up to that level.

Loot simply too random. Take the chances of getting a "good" weapon:
-Random roll to get an item at all
-Random roll for it to be Rare in quality
-Random roll for it to be level 59/60
-Random roll for it's base weapon dps
-Random roll to get a % damage modifier
-Random roll for that % damage to be above 30%
-Random roll to get an added damage modifier
-Random roll for that added damage modifier to be >300

And that isn't even factoring in other stats that players "need" on their weapons, such as life leech, extra crit, or base stats. If each one of those random rolls are 1/10 (some are higher, some lower), you're looking at (my statistics knowledge probably failing me), a 1 in 10 million chance.

Edit: Read the patch notes / preview for 1.0.3. If everything they claim is true, then inferno should be exactly what it should be. Drop rates are reasonable and attainable in earlier acts (still random upon random upon random) but they higher ilevels actually drop. Monster damage is going to be tuned down, more specs will be viable.

Sometimes I think a lot of this is planned from the start, to see how far they can force players to use the AH, and it just so happens they went too far, and are now stepping back. I fear the RMAH will still cause problems for the game as a whole....especially given how bugged / hacky the game is. Think about it like this...even if you don't use it, a lot of people will. And a lot of people are idiots. And those people will be hacked. And those people will call customer service. And the dev team will need to patch stuff. And all of those resources being used for fixing the RMAH issues (which have a real monetary influence associated, giving them preference) will pull away from development on the ACTUAL gameplay, on ACTUAL bugs, on ACTUAL customer service. No matter what, the RMAH will effect YOU, the player.
I am jaded. I am cynical.

thecoldanddarkone
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:12 am

Ehh inferno act 2 is actually not that hard once geared for it. Yes it's difficult, but both me (dh) brother (wizard), friend barb. Can solo farm act 2. I'm close to being able to do act 3 inferno, and my brother a little further out, the barb is having a harder time, he is also less geared than I am though.

I'm going to point this out as well, while we have all ahed stuff, about 3/5 of my stuff was found by me, my brother or the barb. We give each other the progressive equipment when we do runs which has done wonders for us.
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:48 pm

Diablo has always been about the farming grind. While Inferno is difficult and some mob combos are just outright unfair, I relish the challenge after essentially walking through the first three difficulties. I think my Monk has died over 300 times in Inferno.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:52 pm

1.0.3 Info

Look at the gem crafting costs.....WHOA!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:01 pm

tanker27 wrote:
1.0.3 Info

Look at the gem crafting costs.....WHOA!

Going up or going down? Link is blocked at work.

Edit: Looks like allreadydead said some costs are way down?

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:16 pm

Way way down! like 85G for squares
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:49 pm

tanker27 wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Again, if you say the problem is public games then dont join them! Its quite simple.

This is exactly what I was advocating. Public games are kind of a core feature.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
XFX Radeon RX 580

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:14 pm

Better go buy those gems, they're up and running tonight. :D

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:14 am

What, the AH commodity items are working again?

Now it's time to flood the market and drive prices down with the gems I have been stockpiling like everyone else :\
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.