Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Diablo III

Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:21 am

The 2.4.1 PTR patch notes seem to indicate that the new Legacy of Nightmares bonus is super effective. Pretty much every six-piece set in the game is getting huge damage increases (notable exception: Monk Inna, but the Shen Long fist set bonus damage is increased from 100% to 150%, and the spirit gen Inna build is top of the Monk leaderboard).

For those who can't see the link, here are a couple examples from sets I currently enjoy playing:

DH Unhallowed Essence: bonus damage per point of discipline increased from 20% to 40%
DH Marauder: bonus damage per sentry increased from 300% to 400%
Crusader Thorns of the Invoker: 2-piece bonus increased from 25 to 50% additional thorns, 6-piece bonus damage on first attack increased from 600% to 800%
Barb Wrath of the Wastes: damage reduction during WW increased from 40% to 50%, rends do triple damage
WD Zunimasa: pets bonus damage to enemies hit by mana spenders increased from 800% to 1500%

They're also redesigning a couple of legendary gems that used to be cool but got superseded by newer gems (Efficacious Toxin, Pain Enhancer)
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:04 am

Just set down D3 for a week after HOS released a D3 necro hero. I didn't quit to play HOS mind you, I busted out my soulstone thumb drive and started leveling a pet-necro. Can't wait to see necro in D3 for real!
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:21 am

The Witch Doctor with the Zunimasa set is definitely feeling like a pet necro from D2. Just underpowered. This might help.

Oh, the Wastes set is going to get a bonus from the Skull Grasp redesign, too. Instead of doing 300-400% extra weapon damage (basically doubling WW damage, which is in the 350% range I think) it's going to get 300-400% extra damage - meaning 4x to 5x damage. That replaces CoE and makes Skull Grasp a necessity for Spin to Win barbs.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:01 am

Zunimasa's is crap for pet build atm. Helltooth is waaaaaaaay better.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:16 am

Doubling pet damage should help, though. I like Helltooth, too, with all the fire walls and Jeram's bracers.

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:15 pm

Upgrade to simplicity strength and a change in how it and depth diggers + prime calculates. This may be a good time to dust off my LoN Barb build: http://www.diablofans.com/builds/76679-frenzy-barb-v2 Just found him an ancient In-geom too, just need to farm for a Ramalamadingdong.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:24 pm

Anovoca wrote:
Ramalamadingdong.

This is also what my wife calls it. Love the name.

Getting ancient items isn't a problem, and getting the items you need to do stuff in a build you want isn't a problem, but getting ancient versions of the stuff you need for a build (especially an LoN build) is a big problem. Right now I have a multishot LoN DH that's missing a couple things that would be nice to have (Wraps of Clarity and an elusive ring for the cube, rather than Unity) but aside from the Yang's Recurve he basically has nothing ancient. Just replacing a couple of my regular items with ancient versions would skyrocket him up the ladder from 40 to 50 or more, I'm sure. It's fun to play that way, though, and you can do all types of crazy crap.

I think a LoN pet WD would be fun. Good luck getting ancient MoJ, TnT, SMK, and BoT, though.

I wish they'd skipped Greyhollow Island and the forest in 2.4 and just put that effort towards and expansion. I can deal with rebalancing and new items for 6-9 months if I knew there would be a ton of new content in another expansion.

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:53 am

Personally I would love to see them stop making new maps in favor of some retro maps in the rift system.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:59 pm

Yeah, that'd be fun, too. Arguably that's what Secheron is, though.

Hey that Frenzy barb looks sweet. And you're right, the multiplicative nature of DD will really make it powerful. Awesome.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:28 pm

Minor rant:

To this day I still find it infuriating how they won't add better atmospheric filtering to the actual campaign and adventure modes.

Some of you might remember the livid outcry over the "colourfulness" of Diablo III back in 2011-2012 before its actual release. Back then Blizzard made some truly ludicrous claims such as they can't do the advanced filtering that fans asked for because of "performance concerns" and the like - in other words, utter tosh. As a first defense, they had created Whimsyshire (Diablo 3's secret level) to drive the point home as to how their main game was *not* an all-out blast of colours. (It wasn't about the My Little Pony hype at the time, or at least not entirely: the point of the secret level was to literally shut up the raging fans with regards to the campaign's colours.)

Over the years, however, they've added new colour and atmosphere filters to Rifts and Greater Rifts, I assume as an "internal test" to see how people would react. Well, people like rifts, so I'm guessing they noted the positive reaction. Getting back to my earlier point for a moment, contrary to popular belief, it was *not* a lack of colour that made old Diablo games look the way they did: in fact, Diablo 2 was rather colourful in many places, occasionally more so than Diablo 3.

No, it wasn't lack of colour: it was high contrast and, as a result, vivid gore. And here's the kicker: Diablo 3's Rifts sometimes employ their random filters to boost contrast in such a specific way that they put the design of Diablo 2 to literal shame. And yet the tossers at Blizzard still won't introduce this cool stuff to campaign and adventure modes, the modes that need them most.

There is gore in Diablo 3, don't get me wrong, but sometimes actual blood looks so grayish red or pale purple due to this fan-induced desaturation crusade that it looks like spilt grape juice on a hardwood floor. Worse still, campaign mode has dozens of zones that have an additional monochrome haze making everything look the same tint. And these annoying hazes are not there for Rifts! Take the worst offender for example, the Dahlgur Oasis campaign zone. It's grayish blue as far as the eye can see. Would it have killed them to place a couple square metres of actual green foliage? No, it would not. Dozens of in-game zones would have benefitted from corrected filters and after 3 years they're still afraid to do it.

The expansion seemed to suffer slightly less from this but some of its zones still felt a bit mono-tinted.

If they'd fix the filters proper, I'd replay the whole campaign for that reason alone. If only.

End of minor rant.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:00 pm

Wait, Diablo III has a campaign? :p

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:16 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Wait, Diablo III has a campaign? :p

What, it has something else?

I haven't played in a while (got the console version a while back) but that's all I plan to do.
Meow.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:43 pm

You are missing out on the best part of the game if all you do is the story. And I say that as someone who predominantly plays solo—running in parties is nice, and I will run in a party with my wife and tfp from time to time, but there's so much to do and you can do it all solo.

In the end, it's climbing a ladder of sorts, but there's so much to see and do along the way.

I'm on the verge of paragon 600 on my seasonal characters, and I completed GRift tier 62 with both the crusader (Invoker) and the demon hunter (both Marauder and Unhallowed Essence) today. Trying to get the conquest of completing 55 with 6 different sets. That's all I need to get the bonus stash space (which I'll need, to say the least).

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:10 pm

I'm not that concerned. It's not a game I love playing in the first place. I don't even know if I'll keep it installed after this redownload.
Meow.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:13 am

(I haven't played in awhile) Speaking of Crusader, are flail builds still a thing? Or even the awesome Captain America shield build? I remember that thing bouncing forever. It was awesome.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:17 am

They're still a thing - I don't think I've ever seen a single item get nerfed, just others buffed to match it. Several Crusader builds hit GR rank 80 or better. The Blessed Shield build is fun to play but I don't have all the parts of it. The amount of non-set legendary items that can enhance a set build is through the roof, and it'll only get bigger with 2.4.1.

The meta in D3 is really good right now. All classes have several builds that can push to the higher limits of the greater rift ladder.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:28 am

Hmm, if that's the case I'll jump back in to check things out. I loved my blessed shield build with Gyrfalcon's Foote. I also liked the Condemn build using the Blade of Prophecy which I got an ultimate roll on.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:08 pm

Sadly the console version of Diablo III is a joke because it doesn't have a control system that lets you get the best out of several sets, which have been balanced for the PC leaderboards on PTR and oftentimes *require* a kb and mouse

More importantly though, it completely misses out on seasons, which is the only reason I'm still playing, and the only reason many I play with also play.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:25 pm

The only set on the console I have problems with is Raekor. Not being able to stop at the mob you're charging (like you can on the PC) kind of takes the fun out of that build. I like playing on the Xbone because it's easier on my wrists, plus I get tired of sitting at a computer all day and then play games at the same desk in the same chair in the evenings.

It's not a joke because of this, it's a joke because Blizzard lets you import saves from the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game, where item duping and experience cheating is rampant. People buy, borrow, or rent the game for the old gen long enough to dupe what they need and then import into the newer version, and it's a damn shame. Don't bother with D3 multiplayer on the Xbone or PS4. it seems like nearly nobody is legit. That's why there are no console seasons and that's why I make my game "friends only" (I have no online friends so it's the same as local only for me)

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:30 am

So over the weekend I got back into D3. I finished leveling my Witchdoctor. It was the only class I didnt have at 70. However, it wasnt a seaonal toon so I missed out on the free set pieces. But no worries, Kanai's cube an Kadala to the rescue! After thoroughly researching Kanai's cube and finding out the best way to approach it I set out to make a Sacrificial dagger and Mojo.

I crafted 20 of each. And gathered my dusty mats, of which I had literally tons of. (incidentally I found there was a QoL patch to the way stacks work and instead of stacking to 100 or 200 they now stack in the thousands, Hooray for for free space! I had two tabs full of mats!)

So i read that there is a 1/10 chance of creating and ancient legendary from Kana'is cube. 10%, surely it wont be that easy. So I banged out my 20 rare daggers and proceeded to mouse over. WOW, out of the 20 rare daggers I put forth in the cube I got 9 Ancient Legendaries! Set pieces too. So I then turned to my Mojo's. I had even a better result, 11 Ancient Legendaries! I even got the one mojo that's a live kitten as an ancient legendary, I cant remember what it is called.

So my newly leveled 70 WD now has an Ancient Legendary weapon and Mojo. TIII here I come.

I'm disillusioned at this point. But happy. What used to take hours and hours of farming now takes but a few minutes. Drop rates in rifts seem better than what I remember them being. My first couple of rifts produced 8 drops, 4 each. After running almost a days worth of rifts its seems to have leveled to about 2-3 drops on TIII. Again way better than I remember it used to be.

Next up to spend blood shards at Kadala, her drop rates seem to have improved too, I think I spent around 1500 shards on her and was able to walk away with 2 pieces from 2 different sets. 2 Zumi, and 2 Arachnyr (I cant remember this sets name but its 2 pc give you this huge ghostly spider that does like 1600 raw damage). So now I am wearing those. The zumi's turned out to be Ancient too. The Arachnyr one was Ancient the other not.

Now I read about using the Cube to extract legendary affixes and using them. And it seems everyone uses the Furnace affix for the damage buff. Question, Is this per character or is it on Account? I can see where my WD would use something different from my Crusader.

I could try for a seasonal too but at any moment this season should be ending. So I dont know if its worth it. I do know that powerleveling could take minutes to get to 70 I just dont know how its done.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:50 am

The drop rates have improved for sure at the same time most of the legendary drops have to be great to be worthwhile for me. I spend my time finding things to melt in the cube and the items needed for that. In a lot of ways I find it to be more enjoyable because there is something to do in this regard. Also need to level some legendary Gems they are useful for sure.

I still have a Barb I need to get to level 70; I should do that.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:06 pm

Tanker, consider yourself lucky. I've made so much in the cube and so very rarely does the item I want to be ancient come out ancient. I'd say that overall that 10% is probably pretty spot-on.

Also, once you run out of Death's Breath, you'll be back to farming. :lol:

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:38 pm

I appreciate that Blizz slowly adds content for this game, but I am burned out. Got my paragon level up to 400+ and now it just seems boring. I also have lvl 70 in every class but didn't care for any of the melee or witch doctor.

I keep telling myself to get back in and grind paragon levels but the "payoff" is so minimal for the work put in. Hoping for a new expansion sometime.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:41 pm

I'm going to be taking a break, since MLB The Show came out today. :D

TwoEars
Gerbil First Class

Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:09 am

You guys still playing D3? Have you heard of Grim Dawn? It whoops D3's ass.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/219990/

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:16 am

TwoEars wrote:

Aww come'on you can't thread crap like without at least doing 1) stating why you 'think' it is better or more importantly 2) starting a new thread talking about it and why you 'think' it's better. :roll:
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

TwoEars
Gerbil First Class

Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:24 am

tanker27 wrote:
TwoEars wrote:

Aww come'on you can't thread crap like without at least doing 1) stating why you 'think' it is better or more importantly 2) starting a new thread talking about it and why you 'think' it's better. :roll:

If you insist :)

1) Because it's a true spirutal succesor to Diablo 2, unlike Diablo 3 imho. And the action and skills and story and gameplay are all awesome.

2) viewtopic.php?f=12&t=117637

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:44 am

FYI: Season 6 starts today 8 PM EST
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:17 am

This season is gonna be dull. Basically no new items, just straight "boost stuff by X percent!". Cosmetics are dumb. I might play, but it won't be as heavy into it as I was in Season 5.

Omniman
Gerbil XP

Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:19 am

I think I'll be going with a Wizard this time around. I haven't played a Wizard since D3 came out.
Intel i7-7700, MSI Trident, 32GB DDR4 2133mhz, Geforce 1060GTX, and Samsung Evo 1TB.