Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Planetside 2

Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:30 pm

This game rules. New continent on Thursday! They need to fix a few glaring issues, but the game is still really fun regardless.

I actually have an extra key. If someone is nice enough I MIGHT let it go.

edit: Btw I play NC on Thebes. Along with a lot of other friends and internet friends.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class

Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:44 am

shaq_mobile wrote:
Hey guys, over the last two or three weeks I've probably logged about 6 hours on the game. Theyre making some good updates already, and the gameplay has gotten a lot more interesting over the last few weeks. Biggest complaint is that it takes forever to get the anti vehicle rocket launcher, which is as necessary in this as it is in battlefield. As soon as a tank rolls up, you basically have to pray you have your own tanks on the way or that someone has less of a life than you and managed to snag a launcher.

That's incredibly casual of you to say, especially for an "mmo".
I am jaded. I am cynical.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:14 pm

lilbuddhaman wrote:
shaq_mobile wrote:
Hey guys, over the last two or three weeks I've probably logged about 6 hours on the game. Theyre making some good updates already, and the gameplay has gotten a lot more interesting over the last few weeks. Biggest complaint is that it takes forever to get the anti vehicle rocket launcher, which is as necessary in this as it is in battlefield. As soon as a tank rolls up, you basically have to pray you have your own tanks on the way or that someone has less of a life than you and managed to snag a launcher.

That's incredibly casual of you to say, especially for an "mmo".
I would agree, but would also note that it's not too hard to take down a tank with the stock launchers, even if they've certed into one of the three different armors. Conserve your rockets, find the weak spot, make your shots count, and don't fire when you're out in the open.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:06 pm

Just logged in again recently... Nice for them to finally fix the "Gateway" spawn area - no more TK'ing your teammates with vehicles or blocking the exits, can't even drive the ATV up the stairs to the spawn area or easily "stack" the vehicles to get to "restricted" areas :wink: The "good" rocket launchers still take a LONG time to get them, same goes for other upgrades... but I guess SOE wants to have a better incentives for people to spend their $$$ on in-game currency :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:05 am

JohnC wrote:
The "good" rocket launchers still take a LONG time to get them, same goes for other upgrades...
They're what, 7000 Auraxium? You can earn that in just a few hours, especially if you play as an engineer. Killing enemies + repairing vehicles + repairing MAXes + repairing turrets + throwing down ammo = lots of XP. If you want to "power level", defend The Crown on Indar as an engineer and the XP/Auraxium will flow like water.

JohnC wrote:
but I guess SOE wants to have a better incentives for people to spend their $$$ on in-game currency :wink:
There's that, and the fact that it's an MMO. You're not supposed to have access to everything right out of the gate.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:42 am

There have been big updates since I last posted. I like most of the changes to be honest. Reallllllllly glad they figured out a better system than aurax+certs and idling and anemic cert gain. Much better now. I can rack up 100+ certs in one night of playing and feel good about being able to buy something.

Still playing NC on Thebes. My friends and I are planning on staying NC and on the west server after release as well if anyone is interested in playing with us.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:40 am

Yea, it was a good decision to use cert points for weapon upgrades, especially considering that you actually must do stuff now instead of just "idling" at Warpgate areas. The current upgrade prices and earning rate (I believe it's about 1 cert point per 250XP gained) seems to be pretty "fair" so far - I can easily gain about 100 cert points per day even while playing very "casually"... The whole system needs to be explained better in game, though, with more "clues" for noobs - I still see a lot of people everyday asking why they can't "deploy" spawn points on their Sunderers, which is not really surprising since there's no in-game "clues" telling you that you must purchase this ability with cert points first THEN equip it into appropriate slot on your Sunderer.
The current 30 min timer on "instant action" still sux, but at least I can still travel around whole map quickly enough by using "redeploy" function (I really, REALLY hope SOE at least will leave this function as it is) without relying on any vehicles.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:45 am

Yeah, at least instant action works now. There was a good month or two? where it was bugged.

You're right about documentation though. If you are new to the game it's pretty tough to get going and do well. Maybe on release they will have "tool tips" or something similar.

I realllllllllllllly wish the Vangaurd had a higher top speed and some decent hill climbing. The Magrider destorys the Vangaurd in those respects and it's almost stupid how well you can get around in a Magrider compared to the Vangaurd.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:12 pm

DancinJack wrote:
I realllllllllllllly wish the Vangaurd had a higher top speed and some decent hill climbing.
Can't you cert both? I know the magrider can.

DancinJack wrote:
The Magrider destorys the Vangaurd in those respects and it's almost stupid how well you can get around in a Magrider compared to the Vangaurd.
So...you want to have an MBT with the highest armor, damage per shot, and agility? That doesn't sound overpowered at all. ;) Anywho...while the magrider is agile, we still have to point the nose of the tank towards the target since the turret doesn't rotate. Believe it or not, that does become an issue.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:52 pm

Dizik wrote:
DancinJack wrote:
I realllllllllllllly wish the Vangaurd had a higher top speed and some decent hill climbing.

DancinJack wrote:
The Magrider destorys the Vangaurd in those respects and it's almost stupid how well you can get around in a Magrider compared to the Vangaurd.
So...you want to have an MBT with the highest armor, damage per shot, and agility? That doesn't sound overpowered at all. ;) Anywho...while the magrider is agile, we still have to point the nose of the tank towards the target since the turret doesn't rotate. Believe it or not, that does become an issue.

I played VS for a while. I know the issues with the Magrider as well. The Vangaurd is crazy slow though. I know it's more powerful but it could be a little more balanced.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:46 pm

Dizik wrote:
DancinJack wrote:

You can certainly waste cert points on "Hill Climbing", "Tank Rotation" and "Top Speed", but the increases are pretty insignificant right now, and they are all under same "Performance Slot", so you can't slot them all simultaneously...

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite

Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:34 pm

Strangely enough, they've done a good job improving the game over the last few weeks. There's a very marked difference between when I first played the beta and when I hopped on last friday. Balance is improved and the game is significantly more entertaining. Like Arclight pointed out, I don't want to get bored of it before it comes out though, So I've limited my experience to ~10 hours. Those were a fun 10 hours though. :)

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:57 pm

When's the damn thing coming out?
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite

Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:59 am

November 20th I think?

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:36 am

shaq_mobile wrote:
November 20th I think?
Yup. Also, Amerish might be going live tonight.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:57 am

Planetside 2 is now available on Steam. Installing now.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class

Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:25 pm

Played (way past my "bedtime") last night:
-If you're crashing and getting a G37 error when loading, it's a server login issue, they were hammered last night pretty bad. Just reload and keep trying

-The first time I booted up I had this weird graphics glitch, where the game was like an acid trip or something, it looked like Doom w/ noclip on when you walk through a wall and the texture just smears across the screen. Adjusting the settings fixed it, but I panicked a bit at first.

-Got to Rank 9, using the infiltrator and heavy assault class and a little bit of vehicle action (mostly to move around). Ended up with ~150 cert credits by the end of the night, bought some 1 and 20 point stuff for those two classes and I'm currently just sitting on the remainder (~100) for a larger upgrade.

-Turns out I had 250 station cash from something (i haven't logged on to any SOE game in years), I bought the 2nd sniper rifle (which is a bolt action). If you plan on sniping, buy a 10x or 12x scope, the default just doesn't cut it.

While I'm absolutely sure they will slowly patch the game to be more+more P2W, in its current state, the game is pretty awesome.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:23 pm

Yeah, the game is in much better shape than the beta.

I kind of run a platoon for our outfit which consists of anywhere between 30-150 people depending on what time and day we're on. Having a really good time.

If anyone wants to play with us, we're on Mattherson as NC. Let me know and i'll get you into the super secret club.

lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class

Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:06 pm

Afraid I'm going to be Terran' you a new arsehole as the superior faction, NC scum. 8)

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:04 pm

Still dx9 eh? Go Sony...pretending PS3 tech is good enough for PC users once again.

If they upgrade it (which it sounds like they plan to, but I have no idea) I'll join in.
Meow.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:44 pm

Savyg wrote:
Still dx9 eh? Go Sony...pretending PS3 tech is good enough for PC users once again.

If they upgrade it (which it sounds like they plan to, but I have no idea) I'll join in.

Honestly, the game looks pretty good. I run @1920x1200 on medium settings. Pretty pleased with the combination of performance and quality.

LostCat

Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:38 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Honestly, the game looks pretty good. I run @1920x1200 on medium settings. Pretty pleased with the combination of performance and quality.

So does Guild Wars 2, but I'm still not playing it until it gets dx11.
Meow.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:52 pm

Stubborn for no reason? Your loss, I guess.

LostCat

Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:29 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Stubborn for no reason? Your loss, I guess.

I have a limited budget. It goes towards game developers that actually feel like putting out a quality product instead of halfassing it.

In the case of F2P games, I'm already playing other F2P games and will download ones that actually impress me.
Meow.

Washer
Gerbil First Class

Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:54 pm

Savyg wrote:
I have a limited budget. It goes towards game developers that actually feel like putting out a quality product instead of halfassing it.

It's sad there's such a significant segment of PC gamers who, like you, care only about graphics. If your number one criteria for a game is graphics then you deserve no games.

LostCat

Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:03 pm

Washer wrote:
It's sad there's such a significant segment of PC gamers who, like you, care only about graphics. If your number one criteria for a game is graphics then you deserve no games.

Got any other imaginary statements to throw at me?

I care about every part of the game, and yes graphics are part of the game. Just as important a part as any other.
Meow.