Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:59 am

Is it a flight sim only? any fps?

Pez
Gerbil

Re: Star Citizen: from the creator of Wing Commander

Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:44 pm

sweatshopking wrote:
Is it a flight sim only? any fps?

There's no FPS, it's a space trading and flight simulator.
i5-4670k @ 4.4GHz - ASUS Maximus Gene VI - Sapphire Radeon FURY - Custom Watercooling - Corsair 350D
Acid Techno DJ

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:48 pm

Edit: removed because I can't read :)
Last edited by druidcent on Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

druidcent

Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:54 pm

tanker27 wrote:
It's ludicrous to think about the money thrown at SC and to hear those things. Especially since people threw 2 grand + on a ship for a game that's not even close to being done. ( I don't judge because I have purchased virtual goods before, just not 2 grand worth :/ ) But a question that comes to mind is how often are you guys with the game seeing updates? Are they even rolling out incremental patches on a regular basis?

I'm not sure what SSK is talking about.. I've been seeing a minor patch every other month or so, usually to fix various things, and improve on the gameplay. so far every 6 months or so, there has been a major patch revision which adds significant functionality. (ok, so there have only been 2 major patches).

They stopped the feature creep over a year ago, and removed stretch goals. At this point, multiplayer seems to be working reasonably well (and matchmaking). I believe the plan for the initial PU is end of this year.. While the Wired article makes some good points, the game that is being developed now is way beyond the quality of game that was pitched at the start. Which is fine, since CIG has been doing a good job at keeping their customer base informed of what they are doing.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:51 pm

What can you actually do in the game? you can fly around those same lame screens they had for a year. You can walk around the same hanger you've had for a year.
What else is there?

druidcent

Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:11 pm

How about actually dog-fighting against human opponents? Seems like a pretty big step to me.. Also, I believe in the last patch, they added damage states for various parts of the ships.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:49 pm

You're right. I can fly around those same empty locations with somebody. Yay? This isn't my first alpha buy in, and I'm skeptical of them now.
They did make some of the ship pieces look dinged up. I'm not sure why that's exciting. I'd rather they added a game.

druidcent

Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:55 pm

Considering that the core game will be flying around locations with other people, I'd say they are a good ways in.. They've modularized the core components and are putting them out to play as they are ready. I'm not sure what you are looking for at this stage. The single player game will be late this year or early next year, with the Persistent Universe late this year..

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:26 pm

I'm just saying ill believe it when I see it.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:33 am

sweatshopking wrote:
I'm just saying ill believe it when I see it.

Honestly, that's my line for any Kickstarter especially for games. While I know other mediums on Kickstarter do do well and most end up with a product, Kickstarters for games seem to be a minority.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:39 pm

http://www.pcinvasion.com/star-citizen- ... -confirmed

Uhoh you know what they say about rats and sinking ships......
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

slowriot
Gerbil XP

Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:36 am

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... he-Company

I can't say I'm surprised at all. Chris Roberts from day one has come across as a con-man to me and nothing about his earlier career has ever suggested he was fit for leading this type of project. I feel bad for those who have spent a lot of money supporting this "game" that's never going to come close to what was promised.

nanoflower
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:48 am

And you are going to believe Derek Smart who has a proven history of lying to his potential customers? Chris Roberts responded to that by pointing out everything the author says matches up with Derek Smart's online comments. He also pointed out that there was some rush to post this article instead of taking at least a few days to gather more comments and post a complete article with questions raised and the answers. It also appears that even though they rushed to publish the article Chris Roberts did respond three hours before the deadline he was given but the article went up without any of his responses.

Look, none of us are going to know the truth of this but from what I've seen of Star Citizen it does look like progress is steadily being made. Will it be an amazing game upon release? No idea, but I'm not ready to believe something Derek Smart says about the game after all of his past escapades.

slowriot
Gerbil XP

Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:21 am

Have you read the updates? There are reponses from Roberts on every page. None of those response are confident inspiring IMO. But quite frankly... if you can't just see how Roberts presents himself and think "Oh no, this dude is trouble" then I can't help you!

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:08 am

Star Citizen would probably be in a much healthier state if the funding campaign had fizzled out at around the $25 million mark. Enough to make a heck of a game, not so much to have a high risk of going off the rails trying to be everything to everyone all the time. Hopefully for CIG's sake S42 is delivered by early next year, or the folks who backed in the early days are going to start getting restless.

LostCat

Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:39 pm

slowriot wrote:
Have you read the updates? There are reponses from Roberts on every page. None of those response are confident inspiring IMO. But quite frankly... if you can't just see how Roberts presents himself and think "Oh no, this dude is trouble" then I can't help you!

Dude who made tons of games near universally loved vs dude who made a game or two universally hated.

I know who I'd believe.
Meow.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:13 am

So Cloud Imperium Games are going after The Escapist for its articles claiming defamation (both in the US and UK). I for one hope The Escapist holds its ground and lets this play out. Why? I am curious to see what is found during Discovery. Financials could possibly be laid out. And that would be very interesting to the public.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:39 am

HEY SSK (or anyone else that has access to the game)! Since SC 2.0 has dropped care to give us an update? Also it looks like SC has surpassed the 100 million mark in funding. Jesus, is this game ever going to come out? This game will either be a fantastic game or the text book abysmal failure as in the ultimate crowdfunding vaporware.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:28 am

I own it but haven't had it installed for almost a year now (don't worry, minimum pledge just to

It's vaporware that *may* one day be worth playing. Allegations of rampant mismanagement, focus on fundraising "demos" that are nothing but scripted scenes with no substance, embezzling of donations etc - they are only allegations that have been refuted by CIG and they've actually taken legal action. Either way, the game is taking far too long and is growing in scope faster than it is growing in completeness - technically I guess that if progress is measured as percentage complete, the game is actually regressing :\

Regardless of whether the project is actually making progress or just another vaporware scam, I'm not going to wait for it; It will be judged on how good it is compared to games on the market when it's done. In the meantime the genre is now very well catered for by Elite: Dangerous, EVE, and even X3 if that's your thing.

Speaking of which, is there a Gerbil E:D faction?
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Thrashdog
Gerbil XP

Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:24 am

Alpha 2.0 is the first time that I've really seen the promise of the game be delivered on in a meaningful way. It was really cool to walk through a multiplayer station, call up a ship out of my hangar, and watch it descend onto the pad. I won't lie, I couldn't suppress a grin when I walked out of the airlock and saw a bigass Retaliator sitting on the landing pad, with space station hab rings spinning behind it and a gas giant hanging in the far distance. It looks really good, and far more than with the dogfighting module or or the hangar module I finally feel like I have some confidence in what Roberts and company being able to execute on what they've been promising.

That said, there are performance issues, and stability issues, and weird bugs galore. One session I couldn't get aboard one of my ships because every time I tried to get into the cargo bay, I fell through the floor and got stuck. Another time I mis-clicked and got stuck in the onboard bunk with no readily apparent way to get back out. Another one of my ships starts spontaneously sparking and smoking like it's about to fall apart as soon as I get into the pilot's seat. Every game session in the Universe portion of the game has ended in a CTD after some period of time, usually between twenty minutes and a half hour. This is by no means, a polished, finished product, and anybody who tries to judge it on that standard is going to come away horribly disappointed. But when it works, it really, really works. I get what they're trying to do, and I like it. It's great fun to blast pirates out of space, then park your ship and EVA out of it to fix a damaged space station, then get back out to your ship and warp halfway across the system while planets whiz past.

It's taken CIG a damn long time to get to this point, but it finally feels like things are coming to together like they were supposed to months ago., and they're building up momentum. If they can keep going without getting bogged down in crazy snipe hunts and goose chases, and more importantly if they can keep a lid on the scope creep going forward (which I think is probably easier when there is concrete progress being made and clear next steps to be taken) they could very well pull this off.

alloyD
Gerbil First Class

Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:30 am

I was planning on updating to Alpha 2.0 soon here anyway, but based on what you've said, I'll get the download started as soon as I get home.
"The danger lies not in the machine itself but in the user's failure to envision the full consequences of the instructions he gives to it." --Neil Stephenson

LostCat

Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:31 am

Yeah playing alpha 2.0 is the first time I've been legitimately excited about playing the game.

My system isn't good enough, but it was cool anyway.
Meow.

Thrashdog
Gerbil XP

Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:35 am

Savyg wrote:
Yeah playing alpha 2.0 is the first time I've been legitimately excited about playing the game.

My system isn't good enough, but it was cool anyway.

Informed speculation right now is that the low performance in the Universe portion of the game is down to network issues or some other bottleneck. People with 980Tis are getting the same framerates as people with older midrange cards, and the graphics settings don't have any impact. I'd guess there's a CPU bottleneck that needs to be resolved, but in any case, it's very clearly not a finsihed product. There is lots of work yet to be done.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:27 pm

The early builds did not like my 650 Ti very much, so I think I'm gonna hold off till I score a real video card. Good that they're making progress, though I'm saving the champagne for whenever the SP version comes out.

LostCat

Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:07 pm

Thrashdog wrote:
There is lots of work yet to be done.

Either way I haven't really expected it to perform well on my box until I either get a new box or they have a DX12/Vulkan/whatever renderer ready.
Meow.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:35 pm

Well here's hoping Star Citizen becomes the game that it should be before I get old and die.

If it were bug-free and finished it would make games like Elite:Dangerous pale into insignificance.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:17 pm

Does anyone buy the claim Star Citizen has collected $264M so far?

DrCR
Gerbil XP

Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:02 pm

This game very much caught my eye very early on, but its perpetual half-bakedness or at least my perception of that being the case caused me to never be bothered with it.

SC did cross my mind just recently though. During The Outer Worlds playthrough, I though it would be really cool to have space combat as part of the game as well.