Path of Exile OB Releases Today!

Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:30 pm

So, who is going to join me in a game?

LINK

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: Path of Exile OB Releases Today!

Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:53 pm

Looks very interesting; Were you in the beta? What were your impressions if so? What would you compare it to similarly based on more popular variants? Kinda looks like NWN or Diablo ish.

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:09 pm

More a Diablo ARPG type game. I've been in the beta / alpha for a while.
It's a throwback to the old Diablo 2 style gameplay. It has a very different 'feel' than Diablo 3.
I like it. It's free, so figure for a lot of folks it would be worth a shot.

My only warnings would be :
a) It's gonna be super busy tonight
and
b) It starts off slow, but the speed goes pretty crazy as your character develops.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:17 pm

I second MaxTheLimit's description. The passive skill system is probably a bit more complex than anything that was in Diablo II, but I don't have a lot of experience with D2.

Also, so far they are sticking to their guns of not making it "pay to win". The only updgrade you can purchase that will have any effect in game is increasing your stash capacity (note, this is not your personal inventory capacity, as this would imbue quite an advantage, but rather the capacity of your storage chest in the "town" zones). The rest of the upgrades are purely aesthetic.

I'd like to get back into PoE to try out Act 3 at minimum. I haven't played since last fall, but it was a pretty well polished ARPG back then and sucked more than a few hours. I'll see if I can scrounge a few hours over the next few days...

It will be interesting to see how jammed the servers will be (they've already placed orders for more...)

lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:30 pm

Got to level 5, game is a good bit more polished than ~9 months ago. I'm pretty happy with it. The skill trees continue to be daunting as I have 3-4 player builds in mind, but know I have to devote myself to just one of them for at least one character into mid/high levels.
I am jaded. I am cynical.

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:35 pm

Pretty tough getting online at the moment. Looks like the game was a bit more popular at OB release than anticipated!