Personal computing discussed

Moderator: Hoser

Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Looking for AI vs. AI game

Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:55 pm

I couldn't think of a great title for this, but I'm looking for a game that I can setup for the computer to play against itself. What I'm trying to do is come up with a creative way for my fantasy football league to decide who gets each pick in the draft. Here are my requirements:

*At least 12 AI players compete against each other with no user intervention
*I can record the gameplay using Fraps
*Bonus if I can name the AI players

I've looked at Scorched Earth as that is a classic, however, I can't find a way to name the tanks myself. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Last edited by 5150 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

mattshwink
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Re: Looking for a game the computer can play

Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:01 pm

Being a baseball guy I would recommend OOTP. It's a text based baseball sim. Lots of options and I won't go into a sales pitch here, but basically you can use the demo, customize the league however you want (12 teams, no problem!) Populate with fictional rosters and off you go. Sort by record when the season is over (I think the demo can do one season) and viola! (Might have to have tie-breakers, lots of options as the game keeps lots of stats).

(I know it doesn't meet the FRAPs requirement, but hey, like I said, I'm a baseball guy, and I love OOTP!)

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:45 am

Try Worms Armageddon.

You can name teams of worms and set them as CPU teams instead of human teams.

You can also name each worm on a team.

Just load up as many teams as you need, press play, and watch the AI battle it out! I would suggest to give each team the same special weapon to avoid any balance issues.

The game also records a demo of every game played that can be played back in the game client afterwards, so you wouldn't even need fraps. Although you could still fraps (or dxtory with x264vfw for a much lower filesize ;)) it if you wanted, as it's been updated with a DirectX9 renderer in recent years (not bad for a game from 1999).
i7-8700k, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 16GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 2080 | BenQ 24" 120Hz | 2x 840 250GB | MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

superjawes

Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:58 am

Just a suggestion, you might want to use a title like "Looking for AI vs. AI game" or "Looking for all AI-capable game."

It just might make it more recognizable, and might get the views you want :)
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

Topic Author

Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:36 am

superjawes wrote:
Just a suggestion, you might want to use a title like "Looking for AI vs. AI game" or "Looking for all AI-capable game."

It just might make it more recognizable, and might get the views you want :)

Thanks, the words weren't coming to me last night. :)

I might have settled on the SNES version of WWF Royal Rumble since I couldn't get the 3D version of Scorched Earth to work. I'm still open to suggestions though, I might still change my mind and I always need ideas for next year. ;)

NovusBogus
Silver subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Looking for AI vs. AI game

Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:22 am

Supreme Commander can do this, though it will take some mods to get more than 8 AIs. Create a LAN game, set yourself as an observer, fill all the slots and away you go. I think UT2004 has a similar means of setting up a bot-only match but I don't have it handy to check.

Personally I would go with something more random, or at least randomize the AI types, because game AI tends to be very predictable which leads to one race or map position winning more often than the others.