Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Re: Hearthstone

Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:56 am

Nerfs came to some much used basic cards. The tears in the forums weren't as bad as I expected.

I think the most destructive nerf was to Force of Nature. I tried a druid rush deck in the past and didn't care for it. But I saw so many people using Force of Nature/Savage Roar decks over the last year or so. My favorite druid deck was big creature druid (innervate, wild growth, etc).

Arcane Golem got obliterated for Pally/Hunter rush decks. I'm fine with that as rush decks were getting really tiresome.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:59 am

If a deck can end the game before turn 4 or 5, I'm not sad to see it go. Lots of decks could do that, and it got very old very quick. I haven't played HS since the Grand Tournament came out. If it's better now I might pick it up again.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:43 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
If it's better now I might pick it up again.

Hard to say if it's better. I got a bit burned out as any deck I would craft would invariably not be as good as the ideal decks others smarter than me devised. So it seemed like you needed to completely min/max to win even 50%. With the Internet, it seemed like 90% of the people used the expected ideal decks.

I have some points built up so I will buy some of the new cards with those. Of course, I won't have enough to compete well without spending real money, which I don't feel like doing.

My gripes are - add other classes (DK and Monk). Add a way to view the achievements (how can they not have this?) Add other achievements. Otherwise, ranked play gets old fast. I seem to go on streaks where I either win or lose 4-6 games at a time. Losing 6+ is not so fun.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:38 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
So it seemed like you needed to completely min/max to win even 50%. With the Internet, it seemed like 90% of the people used the expected ideal decks.

That's the meta game. And its a reason I keep playing. When everyone and their brother were playing the Warrior Grim Patron I countered with the tried an true Shaman Beast deck with Bloodlust. Sometimes I changed it up to a Murloc deck w/ 'Lust.

The ladders seem wonky at best though. It's a real slog to get to 20. And you see the same decks over and over and over. I wish they'd overhaul them because I feel they are broken in some way. /Shrug
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon May 02, 2016 9:59 am

The auto-deck builder they gave is a lot better, worlds better than before. It isn't perfect but pretty impressive improvement.

One could argue the "classic" decks have a small disadvantage over the decks with all the newest legendaries but one can certainly win with those. I tried classic rogue and warlock and a C'thun priest deck this weekend. My priest deck did the worst of the 3 but didn't help I didn't have the twin emps legendary for it.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:26 am

Anybody still playing? I have been poking along, getting a few ranked wins each day.

Warlock rush deck is back - bunch of small minions and attack boosters. I got killed on turn 6 yesterday :(

Definitely Blizzactivision is giving legendaries which can turn a whole game in the right circumstance. I would love to know how much money they made in the first few weeks of the latest expansion. Still I think it's possible to win regularly without spending money, but it is a hole you have to dig out of.

I've been enjoying Mage (with dragons and pew pew), Warlock (rush), and Priest (C'thun)

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:55 am

I did play enough to get the 10 free packs of Old Gods cards, but I think my Hearthstone obsession is long over (probably ended right around the Grand Tournament's release)
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:24 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Anybody still playing? I have been poking along, getting a few ranked wins each day.

Warlock rush deck is back - bunch of small minions and attack boosters. I got killed on turn 6 yesterday :(

Definitely Blizzactivision is giving legendaries which can turn a whole game in the right circumstance. I would love to know how much money they made in the first few weeks of the latest expansion. Still I think it's possible to win regularly without spending money, but it is a hole you have to dig out of.

I've been enjoying Mage (with dragons and pew pew), Warlock (rush), and Priest (C'thun)

I'm still going strong!

I put together a paladin murloc deck that got some crazy luck in card draw and took someone out on turn 4! It turns out it's not predictable enough to win consistently, but it was pretty damn fun.

My ID is Leor if anyone wants to add me as a friend.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:34 am

Almost done with 500 ranked wins on druid.
It's my own deck as is my warlock deck. So what if some days I lose 2 of 3 games, at least it is my own design.

/squee

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:35 am

The new tavern brawl was...interesting. It's single player and you have to try to see how much damage you can do.

My record is 273 on it. I tried mill deck (didn't work as either rogue or druid). I tried lock with black holes and what not, didn't work well. My best deck was a priest deck with lightwells, inner fire, lightspawn, mass dispel, silence, and a few other odds and ends. I think the reason the AI got stuck is they had a bunch of 0/1 blockers after mass dispel and they couldn't bring out another minion. That's why I was able to rack it up so high. My second best was 150 with priest as well. I don't think druid, lock, or rogue got above 60. And its kinda annoying they don't let you store multiple decks temporarily or even permanently for specific tavern brawls.

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:57 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Almost done with 500 ranked wins on druid.
It's my own deck as is my warlock deck. So what if some days I lose 2 of 3 games, at least it is my own design.

/squee

Nice work!

I got to 500 with Jaina, at around 300 with the Paladin and Hunter. I made my own Paladin murloc deck in standard, it's pretty fun if a bit uneven. I have killed people on turn 4 with it, which was probably a surprise for both of us.

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:04 am

I picked up the game after a long hiatus. Well, really, I picked up the game after not having played it the first time around.

The conclusion I came to is that the matchmaker is completely broken and the game is brutal on beginners as a result, particularly if you have a MtG background and won a lot of games against the AI like I have.

Went to casual play, then got matched against with decks that are way, way above what I had, and/or people that have been playing the game for much, much longer. Really fun to lose game after game, and get repeatedly matched with the same people that won against you already. It then gets worse, because in order to do the dailies and rack up a few coins, you need to slog through losing to eventually eke out a win with character X or Y.

I raged for a while then decided to look into this. Found a few threads explaining what goes on. So the "match maker" only looks to maintain a 50% win-loss ratio. Brilliant :roll: Everyone's telling me to level up a class until 20 so I can hit the Tavern Brawls, but I'm having trouble finding the motivation to do so.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:30 am

I agree with your post, Morphine. It's brutal on new players. They want money after all.

I spent $20 way back when and now I never spend anything unless i buy the adventures.
But I have quite a library of cards built up now so I do ok.

However, with the newest expansion, there are "I win" legendaries I don't have. Facing those is frustrating even for me with most of the cards.

The guy who brings back all the dead deathrattle cards - lost games just to that one card.

And twin emps, while not quite so powerful, is indispensable for the Druid C'thun deck. Trying to play my Druid C'thun without it really sucked.

Just a couple examples of legendaries needed. Blizzactivision does want your money after all.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:21 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
The new tavern brawl was...interesting. It's single player and you have to try to see how much damage you can do.

My record is 273 on it.

Here I thought 273 was good (not so much). Some guy named Kripp got max damage of 1.6 billion. His deck basically gives the opponent a fel reaver and mills his deck, then he gives lorewalker cho. They trade divine spirits and then he uses inner fire to do all the damage at once.

I tried out his deck though I only have one fel reaver. It's not easy. You have to hope the AI plays the secrets in the right order. But I did get over 1k dmg with it.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:59 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Blizzactivision does want your money after all.

It's a trading card game. /shrug. It's no different from MTG except that it is virtual. (and at some point might even disappear, but I am thinking not in my lifetime.)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:49 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
However, with the newest expansion, there are "I win" legendaries I don't have. Facing those is frustrating even for me with most of the cards.

The guy who brings back all the dead deathrattle cards - lost games just to that one card.

And twin emps, while not quite so powerful, is indispensable for the Druid C'thun deck. Trying to play my Druid C'thun without it really sucked.

Just a couple examples of legendaries needed. Blizzactivision does want your money after all.

I've been able to get most of the legendaries I've needed by doing quests, then joining the arena. Every arena run costs 150 gold, you get an average of 60 gold a day give or take (40-100 gold per quest + 10 gold per 3 victories),. so every 3 days I can do an arena run assuming I didn't do well in my last run.

If I manage to get 4+ wins, that usually comes with a decent amount of gold. I have won 8 times a few times and that got me 155 gold, enough for another run! Every run gets you a pack, some dust or some gold, so that with the tavern brawl is 4-5 packs a week. Even if you're not pulling the legendaries you need, you'll get the odd gold card, and the dust will really add up.

Of course sometimes you get crap luck and go 0-3, but I've found arena runs to be the most fun I've had so far. For the record the game did kick my ass in the beginning, but I found it enough of a pleasant diversion to stick with it.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:55 am

Jade Idol Druid is pretty annoying. It destroys control decks and midrange decks have a hard time, but it loses to aggro face decks. I would say it needs some kind of nerf just because it's boring when people play it so much.

The tears on the Hearthstone forums are interesting to read. Seems some deck called Warrior Pirate is even worse but somehow I have not faced those. I'm not high ranked at the moment, maybe that's why.

The deck I'm having most fun with is the Paladin deck where the goblin and the spell each add +1/+1 to minions in your hand. I just tweaked my old "Dragons of Justice" deck and it does ok at low rank.

Didn't spend a penny on new cards but had about 20 packs worth of points built up, and they have quests to give free packs.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:32 am

It's been awhile since I looked at HS maybe I should......
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:49 am

tanker27 wrote:
It's been awhile since I looked at HS maybe I should......

They've tweaked daily quests to be easier IMO and more varied. I'm reasonably happy with the latest expansion. I get in a few games a day.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:06 am

Very cool. How is the new xpac? Any cool cards/combos?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:25 am

tanker27 wrote:
Very cool. How is the new xpac? Any cool cards/combos?

the Jade idol is ridiculous. Basically, the first one you play is 1/1, then every one played after that is +1, so 2/2, 3/3, etc. Various cards including at least one legendary can battlecry or deathrattle these. As I said earlier, they obliterate control decks/fatigue decks. If you see a druid playing ranked, they either are playing jade idol deck or they don't have the new cards yet.

There are a lot of effects to add +1/+1 to a minion or minions in your hand. I see hunters using these a lot. Hunters can be scary fast with Call of the Wild (last expansion?) and a minion which allows you to play secrets for free. A control/fatigue can still quite often beat them though.

Another interesting concept is a card which adds a random card to your hand, but from one of 3 classes. There is a card which will add mage/priest/warlock card to your hand. This led to twice this weekend a warlock playing Mind Control on me. That was a bit annoying.

One card which intrigued me but did not seem all that powerful in its effects was a card which allows you to build a custom spell. I think it's a legendary. For example, yesterday some dude used it to create a spell for use that game which polymorphed a minion and added +4 health to his minions in play.

You'd have to google the infamous Warrior Pirate deck. I still haven't faced it in 10 or 15 games since expansion. I didn't get any legendaries yet in my 20 packs.