Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Warsam71
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

AMD R9 Series + Battlefield 4 Promotion: Official Q & A

Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:58 pm

Hello everyone,
I apologize ahead for this post as it may come across as spam; but I'm simply want to share the information below with as many of our fans as possible. I hope you’ll find this official Q & A and the various links helpful:

Q: Why doesn’t AMD and their board partners include games with all product SKUs like some of your competitors?
A: AMD is committed to the gaming community and believes in maximizing choice for our customers. For example, this could mean choosing between a deluxe GPU bundle, a premium bundle, or a “stand-alone” card.

Q: I’ve heard that the AMD Radeon™ Battlefield 4™ promotion was applicable to all AMD Radeon™ R9 Series GPUs. But now I’m hearing that it’s only on select R9 Series GPUs. Which is true?
A: AMD’s board partners, including Sapphire, XFX, MSI, Asus, HIS, Gigabyte and others, will be identifying select AMD Radeon™ R9 290X, R9 290, R9 280X, R9 270X and R9 270 SKUs for the Battlefield 4™ promotion. Please visit www.amd.com/battlefield4 for a regularly-updated list of specific models that include Battlefield 4™ with the purchase of an AMD Radeon™ R9 Series GPU.

Q: Why weren’t all the AMD Radeon R9 Battlefield 4 promotion SKUs available in e-tail and retail on November 13th?
A: AMD is committed to the gaming community and believes in offering choice to consumers. AMD will be providing board partners with Battlefield 4™ game codes which they can use for promotions in accordance with their product schedule. As a result, not all board partners will release bundled SKUs on the same day.

Q: I bought an AMD Radeon™ R9 Series GPU prior to the introduction of the Battlefield 4™ promotion on November 13, 2013. Shouldn’t early adopters get codes?
A: AMD was unable to deliver this promotion prior to November 13th due to contractual obligations between EA/DICE and AMD. Due to the terms and conditions of this promotion, customers who have purchased an AMD Radeon™ R9 Series Graphics card prior to November 13, 2013 are not eligible to receive Battlefield 4 game codes. But as a gesture of goodwill to our most loyal fans, we’ll be giving away in a random draw 1000 Battlefield 4 game codes in the coming weeks. Follow www.facebook.com/amdgaming or www.twitter.com/amdradeon for more information on this upcoming promotion.

Q: I bought an AMD Radeon™ R9 Series GPU on November 13 (or later) because of this Battlefield 4™ promotion, but I didn’t receive a key. Shouldn’t I be eligible?
A: To maximize consumer choice in the marketplace, AMD gives its board partners the ability to decide which specific models come bundled with a copy of Battlefield 4™ as well as which resellers will carry those models with the bundle. We understand that this distinction was not made clear upon program introduction, and AMD moved quickly to clarify the promotion conditions. As a gesture of goodwill to our most loyal fans, we’ll be giving away in a random draw 1000 Battlefield 4 game codes in the coming weeks. Follow www.facebook.com/amdgaming or www.twitter.com/amdradeon for more information on this upcoming promotion.
Last edited by Warsam71 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam
Community Manager, Enthusiast and Component Channel Communications
Official AMD Representative

sschaem
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: AMD R9 Series + Battlefield 4 Promotion: Official Q & A

Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:08 pm

This is poor damage control...

Bundling games is not rocket science, how can you guys put yourself in corners like this over and over?

FYI, I got a Crysis3 coupon with my 7970 that you guys are not honoring...
You game bundling shenanigan need to end.

Your sleazy marketing tactics are alienating your customers, stop it!

Warsam71
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:27 pm

sschaem wrote:

Bundling games is not rocket science, how can you guys put yourself in corners like this over and over?

FYI, I got a Crysis3 coupon with my 7970 that you guys are not honoring...
You game bundling shenanigan need to end.

Your sleazy marketing tactics are alienating your customers, stop it!

Hello sschaem,

About Crysis 3, what seems to be the problem? Perhaps I can help you; just send me a PM (don't want to go off topic here)...
Sam

Warsam71
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:21 pm

Warsam71 wrote:
Hello everyone,
I apologize ahead for this post as it may come across as spam; but I'm simply want to share the information below with as many of our fans as possible. I hope you’ll find this official Q & A and the various links helpful:

Q: Why doesn’t AMD and their board partners include games with all product SKUs like some of your competitors?
A: AMD is committed to the gaming community and believes in maximizing choice for our customers. For example, this could mean choosing between a deluxe GPU bundle, a premium bundle, or a “stand-alone” card.

Q: I’ve heard that the AMD Radeon™ Battlefield 4™ promotion was applicable to all AMD Radeon™ R9 Series GPUs. But now I’m hearing that it’s only on select R9 Series GPUs. Which is true?
A: AMD’s board partners, including Sapphire, XFX, MSI, Asus, HIS, Gigabyte and others, will be identifying select AMD Radeon™ R9 290X, R9 290, R9 280X, R9 270X and R9 270 SKUs for the Battlefield 4™ promotion. Please visit http://www.amd.com/battlefield4 for a regularly-updated list of specific models that include Battlefield 4™ with the purchase of an AMD Radeon™ R9 Series GPU.

Q: Why weren’t all the AMD Radeon R9 Battlefield 4 promotion SKUs available in e-tail and retail on November 13th?
A: AMD is committed to the gaming community and believes in offering choice to consumers. AMD will be providing board partners with Battlefield 4™ game codes which they can use for promotions in accordance with their product schedule. As a result, not all board partners will release bundled SKUs on the same day.

Q: I bought an AMD Radeon™ R9 Series GPU prior to the introduction of the Battlefield 4™ promotion on November 13, 2013. Shouldn’t early adopters get codes?
A: AMD was unable to deliver this promotion prior to November 13th due to contractual obligations between EA/DICE and AMD. Due to the terms and conditions of this promotion, customers who have purchased an AMD Radeon™ R9 Series Graphics card prior to November 13, 2013 are not eligible to receive Battlefield 4 game codes. But as a gesture of goodwill to our most loyal fans, we’ll be giving away in a random draw 1000 Battlefield 4 game codes in the coming weeks. Follow http://www.facebook.com/amdgaming or http://www.twitter.com/amdradeon for more information on this upcoming promotion.

Q: I bought an AMD Radeon™ R9 Series GPU on November 13 (or later) because of this Battlefield 4™ promotion, but I didn’t receive a key. Shouldn’t I be eligible?
A: To maximize consumer choice in the marketplace, AMD gives its board partners the ability to decide which specific models come bundled with a copy of Battlefield 4™ as well as which resellers will carry those models with the bundle. We understand that this distinction was not made clear upon program introduction, and AMD moved quickly to clarify the promotion conditions. As a gesture of goodwill to our most loyal fans, we’ll be giving away in a random draw 1000 Battlefield 4 game codes in the coming weeks. Follow http://www.facebook.com/amdgaming or http://www.twitter.com/amdradeon for more information on this upcoming promotion.

Just wanted to let you know the links to Sapphire and XFX on http://www.amd.com/battlefield4 are now live. Please, make sure to click on the "Learn More" links for more details on how to order your video card.
Sam

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:31 pm

sschaem wrote:

Agreed, but unfortunately it seems that's all they're willing to do at this point.

We loves ya Sam but this time...people got burned.
Meow.

mdk77777
Gerbil XP

Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:08 pm

THIS

what good are bundles if

1. you already have the game or,
2. you don't want the game or
3. you just want the best price on the card.

9 times out of 10 I fall in the last option.

$100 off on shield?
WTF good does that do me?
Its like getting $100 off coupon for a Las Vegas Wedding...wait, I just want a graphics card thank you . :wink:

GIVE ME THE DISCOUNT ON THE ITEM...not a bundle of crap that I don't need or want.

EDIT:

FYI AMD rep. Non-reference cooler release sooner than later would be great.!!!

I just read a review of Gigabyte windforce 3x cooler on a 780TI. = significant improvement in cooling,sound and performance...on top of an already excellent 780TI reference design.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gi ... ew,28.html

Cooling & Noise Levels

The NVIDIA reference coolers are great, but they follow the temperature target of 80 degrees C. With the WindForce 3x cooler the GPU will get 450W of cooling power thrown at it. As a result the temperature target might remain 80 degrees C, but we have never seen the card pass 75 Degrees. And I do want to remind you here that the card is factory clocked at 1020 MHz on the core with all the 2880 Shader processors activated. An added benefit of that is that the dynamic clock frequency will go higher up to the point it reached its power target. So this is why the card is so close and sometimes a small notch faster then the GTX Titan. And if you wonder about noise ... what noise ? You can't hear this card.

JUST IMAGINE WHAT IT COULD DO FOR A AMD 290, 290x!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop committing marketing suicide and let ASUS apply their CUdirect, gigabyte their 3x cooler etc. etc. etc.

Really, what are you thinking? I just can't stand to watch companies make such idiotic decisions.

Yes, the price point are important and you did what was needed to get there.
However, a $20-$60 addition to the AMD 290 to achieve significantly reduced down-clocking is a no brain-er.

EVERYONE, EVERY review, every person who has looked at the details of the thermal throttling can see this.

For the love of all that is holy...get it done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:06 pm

Bundles are nice, but like many of us BF fans, we preordered the game ages ago, so giving us the choice of only the card is perfectly alright, and preferably compard to a bundle only deal. Because no matter how great of a service it might be for some customers, there is some cost involved that either AMD or DICE will have the pay, and thus the consumer in the end anyway.

As for the custom cooler situation, thats where I'm stuck right now. The 4870 was ok, the 6970 was terrible in the noise department, after that I vowed never to buy a reference cooler design again unless it's proven quiet at full load, and so far, they haven't been even close, so for 7970 I went with a Asus TOP CU II. 3 slot, and that bit me in the end that I can't go crossfire now. So 2 slot, slower but larger fans is where the sweet spot is, and I could take a 3 slot for a 2GPU card. But I prefer my peace and quiet too much, otherwise I would've had at least one and probably two 290x in my comp right now.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:09 pm

Aphasia wrote:
Bundles are nice, but like many of us BF fans, we preordered the game ages ago, so giving us the choice of only the card is perfectly alright, and preferably compard to a bundle only deal. Because no matter how great of a service it might be for some customers, there is some cost involved that either AMD or DICE will have the pay, and thus the consumer in the end anyway.

As for the custom cooler situation, thats where I'm stuck right now. The 4870 was ok, the 6970 was terrible in the noise department, after that I vowed never to buy a reference cooler design again unless it's proven quiet at full load, and so far, they haven't been even close, so for 7970 I went with a Asus TOP CU II. 3 slot, and that bit me in the end that I can't go crossfire now. So 2 slot, slower but larger fans is where the sweet spot is, and I could take a 3 slot for a 2GPU card. But I prefer my peace and quiet too much, otherwise I would've had at least one and probably two 290x in my comp right now.

Yeah, we definitely did that. Still, what I spent for BF4 would cost less than six months of WoW, and BF4 looks to provide at least a year or two of good gaming with a solid base game and plenty of expansions to keep things fresh and keep the community engaged.

As for the GPUs- well, I swore on to blowers long ago, back when the Antec P180 (the first one) was considered 'innovative'. My current Define R3 (replaced by the very nice, and very affordable, Define R4) is compact for an ATX system that easily supports a plethora of fans, an H80i on the back 120mm mount, and a pair of GTX670's with stock coolers- and it's quiet under load!

I'd have to have a giant case with even more fans to get the same game and acoustic performance using open-air fans, which would cost noticeably more :D. And at that point, a pair of R9 290's would definitely be enticing (without the bundles, as you say), but I'm still waiting for more real details on G-Sync. That's one technology that AMD simply cannot go without- pass that up too, Sam!