Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Re: What are you playing right now?

Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:06 pm

I got Metal Gear Solid V for $5 last week and it's been hugely enjoyable, at least once I got past the looooong intro. I *adore* open-world stealth games with plenty of side quests.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:47 pm

bthylafh wrote:
I got Metal Gear Solid V for $5 last week and it's been hugely enjoyable, at least once I got past the looooong intro. I *adore* open-world stealth games with plenty of side quests.
Thanks for letting us know! I've never played or looked at the MGS series but I love open-world games. To the extent that I'm still playing Skyrim because I haven't found all of the little unmarked side-quests yet...

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:00 am

Just got my WoW:B4A invite in the e-mails and started playing around last night. Not going to give any spoilers here but I will say I have rekindled my love for MM Hunter. The new skillset/talents feel like the best of TBC with the focus/SS aspect of cata. This might be the best version of MM I have ever played through all the expansions or at least a close consolation to end of life vanilla/tbc. I havent mained a hunter since Wrath when I switched to DK tank and haven't looked back. I am going to have to resub Live and start leveling the old girl up so I can main her this next round. That or I will blow my freebe 110 upgrade on an iron-dwarf hunter.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu May 03, 2018 8:29 pm

Time to uninstall Hearthstone again.

I hate the shudderwock deck with the fury of ten thousand suns. Unless you are rush, you lose.There is really no counter that control decks can use against it. They break all their own rules with this deck. Most frustrating is when the player timer has been exceeded and they're still happily doing battlecry effects.

Whoever greenlit this was obscene.

I had taken a break from Hearthstone for over a year and now I see it's even more annoying and combos are more OP than ever.

This time, I uninstalled all the Blizzard games and Battlenet as well. I am done with these morons.
Last edited by Hawkwing74 on Fri May 04, 2018 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu May 03, 2018 10:49 pm

Battletech and Far Cry 5 depending on whether I have buddies on who want to murder us some peggies.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

nicholas5
Gerbil In Training

Thu May 10, 2018 10:10 am

Golf Story.
Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle = incredible.
A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu May 10, 2018 10:56 am

I just finished Shadow of Mordor (way late, I know), and The Binding of Isaac just released their last(?) booster pack, which included a very interesting new character.

At some point I'll play more God of War. I'm not thrilled with the new combat so far. It's doing some of the Dark Souls/Bloodborne stuff, but not enough to really "work", IMO. Seems like combat will (eventually) pick up more of the original series gameplay, but I am not there yet. Story-wise, things have been very good, though.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

jokinin
Gerbil

Thu May 10, 2018 11:53 am

I'm playing Starcraft 2 campaign. Bought the game some years ago and never really played it. Not sure if I'll get the expansion though.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu May 10, 2018 12:07 pm

So when it was first released I got Dishonored 2 because I loved the first one, but they made some really stupid design choices so I stopped halfway through. Well all those bugs and stupid choices have been rectified for some time now so I jumped back in and finished it this week and it was as good as I remember. So I installed Dishonored (the OG) to play again now too. Two pretty damn good games.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu May 10, 2018 1:00 pm

jokinin wrote:
I'm playing Starcraft 2 campaign. Bought the game some years ago and never really played it. Not sure if I'll get the expansion though.

Did you at least sign into the game shortly after it went free-to-play? if so you would have gotten Heart of the Swarm for free.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Firestarter
Gerbil Elite

Thu May 10, 2018 1:47 pm

World of Tanks has a new game mode at the moment which is pretty fun, anyone can play

jokinin
Gerbil

Sun May 13, 2018 9:43 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
jokinin wrote:

Did you at least sign into the game shortly after it went free-to-play? if so you would have gotten Heart of the Swarm for free.

Oh I don't remember, and I didn't know about that! But I'll check it. Thanks for the advice!

TheNinja
Gerbil In Training

Thu May 17, 2018 4:43 am

I'm full time into World of tanks nowadays. Was hooked on to a couple of free shooters previously but both went down last year.
every day is a good day to game hard...

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu May 17, 2018 6:17 am

XCOM2

I bought it ages ago and have only started playing it. I wasn't sure what to expect but it's different enough from XCOM:EU that I'm really enjoying it.

The expansion to Enemy Within expansion was something I never finished because it felt too much like just another playthrough of EU. Sure, there were a few new things but it didn't feel like anything new, and arguably it was nowhere near as much fun and paled into insignificance compared to the (free) Long War mod.

Actually, calling Long War a mod is doing it a disservice; XCOM: Long War is almost a total conversion and well worth playing for any XCOM fans that haven't touched it yet.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

DanteReg
Gerbil In Training

Thu May 17, 2018 8:21 am

I got back into Destiny 2 after the latest Warmind DLC. Bungie actually made some decent changes to the game, and some not so good. Overall, the game is at a much better place now than it was before the patch.

liquid_mage
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun May 20, 2018 11:49 am

Just got Civ 6 with the Rise and Fall expansion. I'm still getting used to it. A lot of new mechanics.

ka121
Gerbil In Training

Mon May 21, 2018 11:00 am

Fortnite and CS:GO

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:47 am

Picked up Overwatch for $20 last weekend and been thoroughly enjoying it. Anyone want to play? I'm a support (Brigitte, Moira) and tank main.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:49 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
XCOM2

I bought it ages ago and have only started playing it. I wasn't sure what to expect but it's different enough from XCOM:EU that I'm really enjoying it.

The expansion to Enemy Within expansion was something I never finished because it felt too much like just another playthrough of EU. Sure, there were a few new things but it didn't feel like anything new, and arguably it was nowhere near as much fun and paled into insignificance compared to the (free) Long War mod.

Actually, calling Long War a mod is doing it a disservice; XCOM: Long War is almost a total conversion and well worth playing for any XCOM fans that haven't touched it yet.

I tried Long War but always get stuck after the first mission unable to advance time once I discover the first marketplace. Help?
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:26 am

southrncomfortjm wrote:
Chrispy_ wrote:
XCOM2

I tried Long War but always get stuck after the first mission unable to advance time once I discover the first marketplace. Help?

Common bug with that mod - happens if you have dirty .ini files before you install the mod.
Take a backup first, and then regenerate your .ini files by deleting all files in \Documents\My Games\XCOM2\XComGame\Config

Also, if you're playing on the couch with a controller, I couldn't find a way to click on the clock to advance time. Had to switch to the mouse for that bit, which was annoying. It's hard to complain when the ad-free mod is provided totally gratis, but it's not 100% bug-free.
Last edited by Chrispy_ on Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:28 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
southrncomfortjm wrote:
Chrispy_ wrote:
XCOM2

Common bug with that mod - happens if you have dirty .ini files before you install the mod.
Take a backup first, and then regenerate your .ini files by deleting all files in \Documents\My Games\XCOM2\XComGame\Config

Gotcha. Will give that a try. Thanks!

superjawes

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:54 am

Been playing some Pokémon Alpha Sapphire. I don't know what it is, but I like going back to Pokémon every once in a while. I guess I've always liked the idea of an RPG where you build your team from a huge set of options.

Also picked up Puyo Puyo Tetris for the Switch, which is Tetris (duh) crossed with Puyo Puyo, which had releases as Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and Kirby's Avalanche. It's really fun, and seems like a great party game.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Gyromancer
Gerbil

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:56 am

superjawes wrote:
I just finished Shadow of Mordor (way late, I know)

If you want to talk about way late, I just finished Bioshock Infinite, heh.

I picked up Destiny 2 when it was part of Humble Monthly to play the campaign. I loaded it up the other day and slogged through the beginning of the game. I don't think I'll be able to make it all the way through, especially when Doom 2016 is waiting for me. The shooting mechanics feel dull and the load times and cut scenes are obscenely long.

Meanwhile, I got sucked back into Warframe a few months ago and have been playing that a fair amount since.
Because people were people, and if there was one thing you could count on, it was that some of them would be weird. Or rather that all of them would be weird when circumstances happened to align with their own individual brand of insanity.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:55 pm

I am finally making my way through Pillars of Eternity. I've started it and trailed off before, not because I don't enjoy it, but because it's huge, and I use whatever willpower available for long attention span in my job, which pays me money.

But I am determined! I've gotten further than before, and I'm enjoying it a lot, especially the difficulty level: on "Normal", it's exactly hard enough to make some combats easy, most combats tactically challenging, and a few big ones an impressive TPK with grand spectacle and fireworks, followed by a reload.

I have a deadline of roughly the end of September, before time and attention span become even less available.

End User

Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:21 pm

I've been away from Battlefront II for a bit so I'm looking forward to Solo.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:50 pm

Got an NES Classic Mini as a Happy Birthday gift to myself. Been playing a lot of the original Final Fantasy. It's super good.

Also on my second time through the Battletech campaign. It's still amazing.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:51 pm

Bought Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY on a steam sale for $20 a while ago. Finally playing it.
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

gelana1
Gerbil In Training

Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:47 am

World of Warcraft

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:32 am

gelana1 wrote:
World of Warcraft

I'm burned out on that at the moment. Got Heroic Argus on farm. Probably pick it back up for the next xpac.
In the mean time I'm walking thru my guild master, who lives on the other side of the country, on how to upgrade his machine (upgraded from GTX760 2GB to GTX1060 6GB and is now running off of an SSD primary drive).
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

demolition
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:55 am

Right now I am @ work, so not playing anything.. At home I came back to WoW not so long ago after a hiatus of 1½ year. The time spent on that is rapidly declining again though. I will probably keep it alive until the expansion since it is almost around the corner, and I guess I have to try it out. My guess is that after a couple of months into the new expansion, then my interest in it will drop again. :-)