Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

SuperSpy
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: What are you playing right now?

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:31 am

I was watching the highlights from the Summer Games Done Quick event (which is an awesome charity). I was taken away by the TASBot run of Celeste, which sparked my interest in the game and developer, so I gave it a shot on Steam. I haven't had much time to play it yet, but so far it seems to be a nice, well polished old school 2D platformer.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

freebird
Gerbil

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:47 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:

Planet Busters all the way!!! :)

but I really hate those G-damn Mind Worm invasions later on in the game...

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:08 pm

"My Time at Portia" - Stardew-esque but more focused on a story driven narrative of how you're helping your town. More focused on building/crafting things with a reasonably deep recipe list, and I'm about 30 hours in and totally absorbed. Never heard of it but took a chance on the steam sale recently - it's fantastic. I really can't say enough about how well made it is and polished (still early access). Zero bugs so far, zero crashes. Just a fun mostly-stress-free game.

LaVitaEBella
Gerbil In Training

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:02 pm

I've been busy playing PUBG, while my Staffy is also busy with his dog toys.
Last edited by LaVitaEBella on Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Redocbew

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:41 pm

I've been playing The Division with a friend of mine. Apparently his office building is just a few blocks from the area where the game opens. :o
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:30 pm

Redocbew wrote:
I've been playing The Division with a friend of mine. Apparently his office building is just a few blocks from the area where the game opens. :o

lol it's NYC. A lot of us have probably walked "where the game takes place."
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Redocbew

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:42 pm

Yeah, I just think it's cool that they apparently did a good enough job with the environment that it's recognizable to people who live there.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:51 pm

Nah, I get it. It is cool.

On the other hand, there wasn't much in FO4 that was consistent with Boston and its surrounding areas. I found it disappointing. (I lived there for 4-5 years)
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:22 pm

Pillars of Eternity, which I'm really enjoying, especially the writing. The last game of this type I played was Baldur's Gate a long while back and this is IMO so much better.

Plus it's got an Easter egg where you can get a miniature giant space piglet as your pet. :P
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:37 pm

"Go for the eyes, Boo!"
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

hossamabdomosbeh
Gerbil In Training

Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:25 am

GTA V <3
Falcon Games

sconesy
Gerbil

Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:50 am

bthylafh wrote:
Pillars of Eternity, which I'm really enjoying, especially the writing. The last game of this type I played was Baldur's Gate a long while back and this is IMO so much better.

Plus it's got an Easter egg where you can get a miniature giant space piglet as your pet. :P

If you like Pillars and like light-heartedness in your RPGs you might try Divinity:Original Sin as well. If you like the plot and the serious nature of the writing Deadfire might be a better bet. I got nearly the whole way through PoE and lost interest but I've been meaning to go back and finish it to play the sequel. Something about the language and the denseness of the story makes it a hard game to jump back into after a few months off.

Still playing Quake Champions and waiting for the playerbase to arrive. Any day now...

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:48 am

sconesy wrote:
bthylafh wrote:

If you like Pillars and like light-heartedness in your RPGs you might try Divinity:Original Sin as well. If you like the plot and the serious nature of the writing Deadfire might be a better bet. I got nearly the whole way through PoE and lost interest but I've been meaning to go back and finish it to play the sequel. Something about the language and the denseness of the story makes it a hard game to jump back into after a few months off.

Still playing Quake Champions and waiting for the playerbase to arrive. Any day now...

I'm having a good time with my run through Pillars right now. I have a wealth of good games unplayed right now.

For anyone with a Nintendo 3DS: Nintendo is offering downloadable titles in exchange for Nintendo Gold points. I grabbed "Severed", by the same team that made "Guacamelee", and it's a very well done first-person tile-dungeon RPG. The art and style are excellent, creepy and macabre, and as a free reward title I'm very pleased.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:43 pm

Shadow Of The Colossus

Fun game... more of a puzzle game than an RPG but it's got plenty of action... basically you have to kill a bunch of giants by climbing them and striking vital points, each one requiring a different type of strategy. Really nice looking game with awesome lighting effects. Controls are a bit clunky and take some getting used to...

All in all, not a bad game... not sure how much replay value it's gonna have as there really isn't a whole lot to it in terms of story or even background - you basically just kill a colossus, get warped back to the starting point, and repeat.

Got it used for $20 so no complaints :D

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:58 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Got an NES Classic Mini as a Happy Birthday gift to myself. Been playing a lot of the original Final Fantasy. It's super good.

Also on my second time through the Battletech campaign. It's still amazing.

Almost done with Final Fantasy. I made it to the Temple of Fiends 2,000 years in the past but died part way through. That's 90 minutes of my life with no saves, and since I have been playing without save states that means I had to start the dungeon from my last save. Now I'm power-leveling a big in the second floor of the temple trying to get up to around 38-40 range and then I should breeze right on through.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Noinoi
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:48 am

NFS Underground 2.

Took me probably over 14 years since the game's release (maybe a bit less), but I finally started playing its stage 4 career mode events. That's a very long time in the making, and I think the game's a lot of fun even after all these years - heck, I think it probably have gotter better in comparison to some of today's games.

Or you could also say that it's the game that made me realize what are pixel shaders. When I first played this game, I believe I had a GeForce 2 of some sort - on a system that even not had quite enough system RAM! For some reason I managed to slog through that but I still remembering why someone else's game had much better graphics than mine.

Heck, I didn't really have a computer that can give it the GPU juice it deserved until 2009 - too bad my C2Q machine was also extremely unstable for reasons unknown (it's in silicon heaven now), but now I finally get to play it as intended. I still remember when the game actually slowed down on my then garbage Acer laptop which could turn on all the effects but tanked performance in doing so.

In 1024x768! That sounds a bit funny, but display scaling with this game is a bit wonky at 1280x960 and 1600x1200 doesn't work with a 1080p monitor. I hate boxed in visuals, haha. Also beats stretched 640x480...
[email protected] | Patriot 2x16GB | Asus GTX 970 | Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi | Intel 660p 512GB + Kingston Fury 240GB + 2x4TB WD HDDs | Win 10

strangerguy
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:00 am

Prey and the Mooncrash DLC.

They are incredibly fun System Shock-esque FPS, albeit with a few annoying mechanics.
8700K 4.3GHz @ 1.05V | Cryorig H7 | MSI Z370M AC | 32GB Corsair LPX DDR4-3200 | GTX 1070 @ 0.8V | 500GB Evo 850 | 1TB M550 | 3TB Toshiba | Seasonic G650 | Acer XB271HU

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:02 am

MileageMayVary wrote:
gelana1 wrote:
World of Warcraft

I'm burned out on that at the moment. Got Heroic Argus on farm. Probably pick it back up for the next xpac.
In the mean time I'm walking thru my guild master, who lives on the other side of the country, on how to upgrade his machine (upgraded from GTX760 2GB to GTX1060 6GB and is now running off of an SSD primary drive).

Still playing WoW here myself, getting prepped for next expansion. Havent stopped playing since 05 when I started....man I have a problem lol. Although I have been taking it easy these last few weeks and not playing a ton.

superjawes

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:06 am

Aside from still playing WoW (and The Binding of Isaac), I've had a bit of a retro kick going. Got a SNES Classic, which my wife has played more than me (she discovered A Link to the Past), and I picked up the Mega Man X Legacy Collection (games 1-4). It's nice to see those SNES-era games hold up.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:16 am

We just got back our our NES yesterday. It plays wonderfully. My son is enjoying Mario1.

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:43 am

freebird wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:

Planet Busters all the way!!! :)

but I really hate those G-damn Mind Worm invasions later on in the game...

SMAC is probably the best TBS I have ever played. I wish they'd do a modern update with hex-based combat like the more recent Civ games (though without the humorously pathetic Civ AI).

Mind Worm, Isle, and Locust swarms late in the game happen because you're "fighting" the planet. If you make more planet-friendly ecological decisions, then you'll see these things not happen. I used to run into that problem in all of my games, but once I found out that it was cheaper to cooperate with the planet than to try to stamp it out, I haven't lost very many games.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:52 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
freebird wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:

Planet Busters all the way!!! :) ...
SMAC is probably the best TBS I have ever played. I wish they'd do a modern update with hex-based combat like the more recent Civ games (though without the humorously pathetic Civ AI).
https://store.steampowered.com/app/6598 ... ond_Earth/
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

JohnyMacler
Gerbil In Training

Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:10 am

I am finishing with Borderlands 2. Have to complete all the DLCs.

liquid_mage
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:37 pm

After 5ish years of playing Diablo 3 non-stop I think I'm finally done with the game. Although I'm excited for the upcoming unannounced projects Blizzard has in development.

I'm about 2/3rds of the way done with a Skyrim play through but I'm not sure I will finish it. My ADHD kicks in and I end up never working on the main story line;)

I tried Civ 6 with expansions and had a hard time getting excited about it. Even with the improvements I've played Civ 1-5 and it still feels similar to Civ 4 and 5 so meh.

Now i'm about 2 weeks into Street Fighter 5 with the first 2 character packs and i'm really enjoying it, I play about 1-1.5 hours of online matches per night.

superjawes

Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:15 pm

liquid_mage wrote:
After 5ish years of playing Diablo 3 non-stop I think I'm finally done with the game. Although I'm excited for the upcoming unannounced projects Blizzard has in development.
I'm betting that one of the smaller Diablo projects is D3 for Switch. In addition/as an alternative, they might remaster Diablo 1 or 2, and unless they announce a new D3 expansion, their "bigger" project is D4 to be released [eventually].

Just my gut feeling on that.

EDIT: Well how about that... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:24 pm

liquid_mage wrote:
I'm about 2/3rds of the way done with a Skyrim play through but I'm not sure I will finish it. My ADHD kicks in and I end up never working on the main story line;)

That game can be a huge time drain :D

The first time I played through Skyrim I did just about everything you could do... I forget what my overall level was but I was playing a two-hand warrior and was pretty much maxed out on everything by the time I faced the main baddie... which turned out to be pretty anti-climactic given my level and gear at that point.

My biggest complaint about that game is that it scales so poorly... the game does spawn tougher enemies as you get higher levels, but it's easy to outpace what they can throw at you, and once you get to the high levels it turns into a cakewalk.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:31 pm

Noinoi wrote:
NFS Underground 2.

Took me probably over 14 years since the game's release (maybe a bit less), but I finally started playing its stage 4 career mode events. That's a very long time in the making, and I think the game's a lot of fun even after all these years - heck, I think it probably have gotter better in comparison to some of today's games.

Easily my favorite Need for Speed game. Tons of fun if you can get past the fluffy pseudo-story. Open-world driving around is fun, exploring and finding shops is fun, and the races themselves are (for the most part) pretty fun. I really like the drag racing and drift races. Street-X with all those tight corners (racing in a parking garage? No thanks) pulls out some of the fun, though.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:33 pm

cphite wrote:
liquid_mage wrote:

That game can be a huge time drain :D

The first time I played through Skyrim I did just about everything you could do... I forget what my overall level was but I was playing a two-hand warrior and was pretty much maxed out on everything by the time I faced the main baddie... which turned out to be pretty anti-climactic given my level and gear at that point.

My biggest complaint about that game is that it scales so poorly... the game does spawn tougher enemies as you get higher levels, but it's easy to outpace what they can throw at you, and once you get to the high levels it turns into a cakewalk.

You guys should play the Witcher 3. It's a better game in every way IMO. And I am a huge TES nerd. Bought Morrowind/Obliv/Skyrim all on day one and have played each at least twice through.

oliv88
Gerbil

Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:42 am

Started playing ghost reckon last weekend. I think I am enjoying it well. Would recommend those who have not played it yet.

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class

Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:17 am

Mostly been playing FiveM.(it's a 3rd-party GTA 5 multiplayer server mod)
Tons of different servers to pick.

So much more fun playing with real-life cars in-game than the generic Rockstar cars.

Having a good set of headphones and a good microphone setup makes things far easier in-game.