Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

DAPUNISHER
Gerbil

Re: What are you playing right now?

Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:03 am

Black Flag does not like either one of my windows 10 PCs. I have a 4770k, 16GB DDR3 1833 , with a GTX1060 6GB, and a Ryzen 1600 with 16GB DDR4 3000, and a RX580 8GB and have problems with both, even at stock. The GTX system suffers from terrible performance that appears to have plagued the 10 series cards for many owners. It evidently does not like some hardware that is newer than the game. I have tried some of the settings that remedy the issue, but no luck so far. I read forcing triple buffering and disabling PhysX (already disabled that) can do the trick so I will try that when I get home from work this evening.

The RX system runs it flawlessly locked at 60 FPS with a 1440p 32" freesync monitor, but it boots me to desktop after 10 minutes. Event viewer shows it was specific to black flag on the drive I installed it on. I will try win 8 compatibility mode, then win 7 mode if that does not work. Will have to google fu it, if that does not do the trick. Definitely like the story and combat system so far. Might have to slap an old GTX 660 in the i7 system, that I use on my test bench, to have at thee. :P
[email protected] 5:6 w/2x512mb Samsung TCC4 3200DDR-Shuttle AN50R-Sapphire 9800pro 128mb-36gb Raptor-120gb 8mb cache Deathstar- Ricoh 4x DVD+R\+RW\-16x DVD-Venus 12

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:51 am

I heard about Dead Cells quite a while ago, but for some reason I had not picked it up. Well now I've corrected that by putting it on my Switch, and it is excellent. I'm only a few hours in, but it's a mashup of roguelike, soulslike, and Metroidvania Metroidlike mechanics. Instead of creating a mess, you've got a satisfying combat system with lots of options, a map that rewards some exploration, and a good dose of dark humor.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

The Egg

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:45 am

Into The Breach. Using my 8700k and blazing SSD storage to play many hours of a game which could probably be rendered by a 486 off floppy disks. :lol:

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:38 am

Bioshock Infinite.

sure its an older game but damn is it pretty!

on a rx 580 8gb it stays locked at 60fps no matter what is going on.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:17 pm

Picked up Jurassic World Evolution on the Steam Sale for my son's christmas present. I need to find some time between now and then to, um, take it for a test-drive.

DAPUNISHER
Gerbil

Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:06 am

WIn 8 compatibility mode fixed the RX580 system so I played on that tonight. I will get to the 1060 when I feel like the recliner and HDTV for gaming. Looks and plays great now. I enjoy all the different moves for ally fights, ejecting them off roofs, etc. Cleared almost everything in Havana and time to start doing more story missions. Had to get that cheddar first, so I could buy good swords.
[email protected] 5:6 w/2x512mb Samsung TCC4 3200DDR-Shuttle AN50R-Sapphire 9800pro 128mb-36gb Raptor-120gb 8mb cache Deathstar- Ricoh 4x DVD+R\+RW\-16x DVD-Venus 12

Maxertoon
Gerbil In Training

Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:27 am

I love 2d platform, indie games. Now I'm playing Hollow Knight and it's incredible.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:50 am

Spider-Man on the PS4 is so very sick! I received it as a gift on Tuesday, and Thursday morning I finished the story. I'm still completely enamored of the mechanics so I'm still swinging around the city in the post-game scenario, cleaning up the streets of New York and finding all the collectibles. I'm going to have to buy the DLC.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:29 pm

Surviving Mars. I like it quite a bit, but the in-game help or the UI could be more clear on some things. Case in point: If you establish a trading route with a competitor, you'll soon realize that your colony is falling apart because you lack that key raw material to make repairs to certain equipment. What neither the tutorial nor the in-game encyclopedia explain is how to break trade routes once you've established them.

If you set up the route using one of your ships, you can tell it to abandon the current expedition once it lands back at your colony. If the route is a competitor's ship, I don't know the answer, other than to set that ship's priority to "low" so that your drones will fill its order after they've made repairs to your critical high-priority infrastructure.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:35 am

I got my son Jurassic World Evolution for Christmas (think Roller Coast Tycoon meets Jurassic Park). It's actually really good. I've put in about 6 hours in a row just now. Would recommend for anything ages 7+, especially those that like JP/JW.

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:28 am

I've gone back to TIS-100 recently, though I think I might be done with it. The later puzzles are mostly constrained by the number of instructions you can fit in a node, or the fact that you don't have any random access memory. I much preferred the early puzzles which were fairly trivial to solve, but then great fun to optimise- squeezing out the highest throughput by splitting work over nodes, or cramming it into as few instructions as possible.

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:06 am

I am having a blast playing old stuff from the Street Fighter 30th anniversary collection. Man input detection in the first Street Fighter was really unforgiving.

superjawes

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:47 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Spider-Man on the PS4 is so very sick! I received it as a gift on Tuesday, and Thursday morning I finished the story. I'm still completely enamored of the mechanics so I'm still swinging around the city in the post-game scenario, cleaning up the streets of New York and finding all the collectibles. I'm going to have to buy the DLC.
After finishing Silver Linings, I can say that the DLC is not required. There is some good stuff in there, like the continuation of Miles's training, but it's still fairly short, and doesn't feel as refined as the main game. Probably worth waiting until it's on sale.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

liquid_mage
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:28 pm

jihadjoe wrote:
I am having a blast playing old stuff from the Street Fighter 30th anniversary collection. Man input detection in the first Street Fighter was really unforgiving.

I love Street Fighter since I was 11 and played the original in the arcade/bowling alley. Later I worked at a Chuck E Cheese type place that had Super Street Fighter 2, we weren't supposed to play games after our shifts but if it was slow I spent quite a bit of time on that machine. I put a few months of time in Street Fighter 5 it's pretty good too.

Currently Warframe, The Long Dark, and Stardew Valley. I'm MR15 in Warframe and starting to burn out a little, still a great game. The Long Dark I just picked up it's okay so far, I wanted survival game that didn't involve zombies. I don't think Stardew Valley is my cup of tea, its very slow and kind of meh imho.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:21 pm

superjawes wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
After finishing Silver Linings, I can say that the DLC is not required. There is some good stuff in there, like the continuation of Miles's training, but it's still fairly short, and doesn't feel as refined as the main game. Probably worth waiting until it's on sale.

Thanks, if it's not that super interesting, I'll just go back to Shining Force CD and wait.

I've finished all of the bases for all of the factions, found all the backpacks, stakeouts, side-missions, and landmark photo. All that's left are the secret photos, getting 100% on every challenge, and the random crimes in each zone. And being able to afford all the suits and upgrades, which I assume goes with getting all the crimes and challenges done.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

ScannerSparkly
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:44 am

Been getting into Overwatch recently, its a mixed bag because I play solo and it really depends on the team you get, but sometimes it feels absolutely amazing when everyone coordinates and the team pulls off some crazy stuff. Also heroes of the storm, but I saw some news that Blizzard won't be giving much attention anymore which is a bummer really because I prefer its more casual approach to the moba genre.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:08 am

Assassins Creed: Origins on PS4.

Just a couple of hours into this one, and so far I like it... typical AC experience but with far less hand-holding than previous games in the series... game pretty much assumes you've played before and that you know what's expected. Combat is the usual AC fare - it's timing based. I really dig what they did with the eagle... basically instead of the "eagle vision" in the past games, you remotely control an actual eagle to scout out locations (how the eagle tells you where things are isn't something they get into...)

The game world is amazing. Absolutely massive areas, and the graphics are lovely. Some of the animation is a bit odd... the main character running for example.

Two minor complaints... one is that both the HUD and map can be really difficult to read - markers are thinly drawn and can be hard to distinguish. The other is that some of the background chatter can be very repetitive... for example one side quest has you fighting in a religious ritual match, and the high priest keeps repeating the same two lines over and over and over and over to the point of annoyance.

They have the same sort of in-game shopping as the previous chapters - special gear and whatnot - and they have the same opportunities for random multi-player, but they're far less intrusive (so far) than the last couple have been.

All in all... it's not my favorite in the series (I still think the Ezio trilogy is the high mark for the series) but it's a solid game.

elcoldtown
Gerbil In Training

Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:25 pm

Just completed Oxenfree as a part of my project to knock smaller games off my backlog. Going to start Teslagrad tomorrow.

superjawes

Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:17 am

Tetris 99 for Switch. I think you need the Nintendo Online subscription (~$20/year), but otherwise it's a free download. It's a Tetris Battle Royale, and it is a blast.

I'm also amazed how Nintendo make these "out of nowhere" moves. They just announced this last Tuesday and there it was, ready to play.

Pharad
Gerbil

Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:03 am

Dark Souls 3, waiting for Sekiro and DMC 5 to come out

CAIN
Gerbil

Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:59 pm

Slay the Spire and modded Minecraft are my two main games atm. Almost got to the point of uninstalling hearthstone, a game that is easily my least favourite of all games I've played... and yet keep on playing...

confusedpenguin
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:24 am

World of Warcraft. Got Void Elfs, Lightforged Draenei, and Dark Iron Dwarves all unlocked. Got a 120 Night Elf Rogue named Stabbymcgee who needs a guild. Level 20 Pandaren Hunter (alliance) named Fattymcgee, a level 60 human priest named Paddyoreilly, a level 10 gnome monk named Undurpants, a level 40-ish? void elf mage named Darksmith, a level 50 Dark Iron Dwarf Warrior named Girdlegard, and a level 40 Lightforged Draenei Paladin named Happypants.

Pharad
Gerbil

Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:27 am

Playing Dark Souls3 in wait of the new Sekiro game

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:28 pm

Gothic Armada II. It has some repetitive elements, but I can't shake myself from it. The campaign is good, the battles are good, and the graphics are incredible. Digging into the second campaign soon; the Despoiler is on his last breath. :)
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:23 pm

I've been playing Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something about this game that makes it nowhere near as good as Human Revolution. I'm about 5-10 hours in and seriously considering abandoning it. Did anyone play the whole way through this one? Is it worth sticking with it?

I kind of wonder if part of the problem is that I'm playing it on XBox instead of PC, which I played Human Revolution. The XBox version doesn't keep a high enough frame rate and I feel kind of nauseous after playing it for a while.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

Acidicheartburn
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:50 am

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
I've been playing Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something about this game that makes it nowhere near as good as Human Revolution. I'm about 5-10 hours in and seriously considering abandoning it. Did anyone play the whole way through this one? Is it worth sticking with it?

I kind of wonder if part of the problem is that I'm playing it on XBox instead of PC, which I played Human Revolution. The XBox version doesn't keep a high enough frame rate and I feel kind of nauseous after playing it for a while.

I had a similar experience, except I played Human Revolution on the Xbox and Mankind Divided on the PC. I loved HR. Tried Mankind Divided, played for about 13 hours and just forgot about it. Something about it just doesn't draw me in like the prior game. I plan on picking it back up and finishing it eventually maybe. It's not a bad game by any means, but it didn't really hook me.

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:01 am

Well playing *right now*, but I just finished installing Valkyria Chronicles PC. It's been one of the best reviewed games for the PS3 so I'm really looking forward to getting my first taste of it over this weekend.

Oh and hooray for 5-year lag!

Robotics
Gerbil First Class

Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:41 pm

Currently Resident Evil 2. It is a nice game.

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:24 pm

Acidicheartburn wrote:
TurtlePerson2 wrote:

I had a similar experience, except I played Human Revolution on the Xbox and Mankind Divided on the PC. I loved HR. Tried Mankind Divided, played for about 13 hours and just forgot about it. Something about it just doesn't draw me in like the prior game. I plan on picking it back up and finishing it eventually maybe. It's not a bad game by any means, but it didn't really hook me.

It's interesting to me how a sequel can look and feel just like the original without retaining any of the original's "soul." I think that the story of HR was really compelling and MD just feels boring in comparison. On top of that, I remember the levels being a lot interesting in HR.

A while back, I read the blog of the guy who made Dust2 (Counterstrike's most popular map). I realized that bad level design and great level design look almost exactly the same, but the difference is felt almost immediately. I think that this is true of MD, it looks like something that I should like, but the gameplay is just stale in comparison.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:44 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
Acidicheartburn wrote:
TurtlePerson2 wrote:

It's interesting to me how a sequel can look and feel just like the original without retaining any of the original's "soul." I think that the story of HR was really compelling and MD just feels boring in comparison. On top of that, I remember the levels being a lot interesting in HR.

A while back, I read the blog of the guy who made Dust2 (Counterstrike's most popular map). I realized that bad level design and great level design look almost exactly the same, but the difference is felt almost immediately. I think that this is true of MD, it looks like something that I should like, but the gameplay is just stale in comparison.

I enjoyed both games, but I think I know what you mean... Human Revolution had a much better story, and really kinda pulled me into the world; whereas Mankind Divided just seems like the story is a way to string the levels together.

Oddly enough, these two games remind me a lot of the original Deus Ex and the first sequel... the original had a great story and a wonderfully (especially for the time) detailed world that really drew me in... and the sequel was like someone said "Hey, let's throw together a shooter based on that world!" With HR it was like they started from scratch and really tried to live up to the original; and then with MD it was like someone said "Hey, let's throw together another shooter based on that world!"