Personal computing discussed

Moderator: Hoser

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: What are you playing right now?

Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:00 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
AC:Unity is free for the next week as part of Ubisoft's donations toward the Notre Dame reconstruction effort. (I'm not quite sure how that ties in, but hey, free game).

Apparently Notre Dame featured heavily into the game's plot. Good on Ubisoft for donating and giving it away, though I've heard that it wasn't well received in the series. I picked it up, but I'm not sure if I'll try it out.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri May 03, 2019 9:58 am

bthylafh wrote:
Finally getting around to Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag.

I have such great love for this game. I hope you enjoy it. It does start out kind of slow, but once you unlock all the free-roaming on the high seas, it's a ton of fun. Weirdly, I don't play AC for the whole Assassins vs Templars. I just like the parkour and the stealth and the high seas adventure and even some of the trade route minigame.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Fri May 03, 2019 2:19 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
bthylafh wrote:

I have such great love for this game. I hope you enjoy it. It does start out kind of slow, but once you unlock all the free-roaming on the high seas, it's a ton of fun. Weirdly, I don't play AC for the whole Assassins vs Templars. I just like the parkour and the stealth and the high seas adventure and even some of the trade route minigame.

I've been enjoying the naval combat. Took me three tries to capture a man-o-war with my brig but it was worth it. I wish the game made it more obvious how to use the heavy shot - I had to look that up. The stealth is more fun now that I've picked up the blowgun and can temporarily incapacitate that one sentry that won't turn away.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

CAIN
Gerbil

Sat May 11, 2019 11:54 am

Back into modded Skyrim. I swear sometimes it's more fun setting up the mods than it is actually playing :)

sconesy
Gold subscriber
Gerbil

Tue May 14, 2019 9:38 am

Was letting myself build a little hype for Rage 2 but I'm reading reviews that compare it unfavorably to Avalanche's Mad Max game (which I love). Sounds like a steep discount buy only. Meanwhile Quake Champions staggers on... :cry: The backlog right now is Environmental Station Alpha, Atom RPG, then Ion Maiden.

NovusBogus
Silver subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat May 18, 2019 8:05 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
bthylafh wrote:

I'm of the opinion that Black Flag is the best of the bunch precisely because it does mostly avoid the Abstergo/Templar foolishness in favor of a pure historical action/RPG hybrid. It's really kind of a shame that Ubisoft won't fully ditch a storyline that should have been over after the first three games; its zombie-like persistence turns what could be truly great games into merely good ones.

Anyway, on point: just wrapped up Star Wars: KOTOR 2, my first serious attempt at a full playthrough of either of the iconic RPGs. The story was great and the game was good, and it probably would have been quite a thing to behold in the mid 2000s, but it's really been upstaged by Second RPG Golden Age titles like Pillars of Eternity and Witcher 3. Still worth the efforts though, even if only for the truly fascinating deconstruction of the quasi-spiritual esotericism that drives the Star Wars universe.