Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Re: What are you playing right now?

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:38 am

Anyone try Tyranny yet? It seems it's an RPG where the big bad guy took over the world.

I got it on Steam Sale but have not tried yet.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:23 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Anyone try Tyranny yet? It seems it's an RPG where the big bad guy took over the world.

I got it on Steam Sale but have not tried yet.

Tyranny looks awesome. I haven't gotten it because a friend owns it, and he said it was all of 30 hours long.

I'm not expecting every game to be Skyrim, but that seems really content-light for an RPG to me.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:45 pm

Got XCOM2 on the cheap. I like strategy/thinking games. I'd say I'm thoroughly enjoying the game, but it's hard to justify it's full $60 price tag. Of course, I don't know how many hours of gameplay to expect out of this either. I suppose that could vary. The last mission I did took me 3 hours since I'm trying to keep my troops from dying because I don't know how long I'll have to string out my available recruits (and nobody likes playing with new recruits all the time). Perhaps I'm being too cautious.

The angled-top-down view makes sight lines a bit clunky, requiring the player to rotate the map, and looking into buildings with multiple floors is a bit tricky at times.

I am getting increasingly frustrated at the number of times I have to revert to a previous save because something went wrong and I lost multiple troops (once they're dead, you can't use them any more, for the rest of the game). Seems like much of that hassle would go away if they would've just allowed you to preview your movements. Something like: movements can be undone until the end of your player turn, but once you fire a character's weapon, that character's turn is over. The way they have it set up is certainly realistic, and it wouldn't make sense to introduce a global "undo" button since it's a turn based strategy, but that's essentially what users are forced to do with saves anyway. Damned if you do, damned if you don't perhaps.

Going up against enemies that can move after every action of each of your characters' turns is a big challenge. (each of your characters gets up to 2 actions x 4 characters means the enemy gets up to 8x2=16 actions before your turn is over). You'd better have your squad set up in an extremely efficient formation before that enemy goes into action or you'll be loading saves like crazy.

It also seems that none of my "wounded" soldiers ever heal at the mothership. I dunno.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:35 am

Super Empire Strikes Back. These SNES Star Wars games are some fun (if difficult) platformers.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:54 am

DPete27 wrote:
I am getting increasingly frustrated at the number of times I have to revert to a previous save because something went wrong and I lost multiple troops (once they're dead, you can't use them any more, for the rest of the game). Seems like much of that hassle would go away if they would've just allowed you to preview your movements. Something like: movements can be undone until the end of your player turn, but once you fire a character's weapon, that character's turn is over. The way they have it set up is certainly realistic, and it wouldn't make sense to introduce a global "undo" button since it's a turn based strategy, but that's essentially what users are forced to do with saves anyway. Damned if you do, damned if you don't perhaps.

This is pretty much how the original DOS game worked. At the end of every Pyrrhic victory I'd have to decide whether to continue or load from a previous save. Sometimes I'd choose wrongly and get into an impossible situation later on.

Now that I think about it, the XCOM series is a strategy version of a roguelike.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:00 am

A Steam sale is ongoing. I have a feeling I'll be getting a few games I have no time to play. Cities: Skylines, Age of Wonders 3 and others are 75-80% off till July 5th.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:36 pm

You just missed the gog sale with all the same games, DRM free :(

tobequitefrank1
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:48 pm

I'm trying to lose weight so i'm outside in the evening playing Takers at the min - totally hooked!

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:11 am

Dota 2 since past 7 months, addicted :(

And i can't stop calling people noob. (Dota players will get it)

EDIT: Just realized, i had posted about this back in January as well :lol:

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:08 am

D3...my female 'mancer named Ophelia :wink:

yeah its a childish pun.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:29 am

tanker27 wrote:
D3...my female 'mancer named Ophelia :wink:

Get thee to a nunnery, go. Farewell. Or, if thou wilt needs marry, marry a fool, for wise men know well enough what monsters you make of them. To a nunnery, go, and quickly too. Farewell.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:29 am

My Necromancer is named PhilNecro. He throws a mean knuckler. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:39 am

derFunkenstein wrote:

Does anyone get it or do you have to explain it?

That said, given your Cards alliance, I'm somewhat surprised to see you honor Atlanta.

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:52 am

Taking a break from PC gaming from a bit, I'm working my way through Breath of the Wild on Switch. Really liking it so far.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:33 am

Been playing Stellaris with the expansion and various mods.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:54 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:

Stellaris is interesting to me because the difficulty is all over the place. Too much depends on how the galaxy is initially set up, it seems. Also, the AI seems to randomly choose between super-aggressive and super-passive no matter what type of civilization it is (haven't run into any AI Hiveminds yet).

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:54 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Does anyone get it or do you have to explain it?

That said, given your Cards alliance, I'm somewhat surprised to see you honor Atlanta.

My wife gets it, and that's all that matters. I have a St. Louis affiliation, sure, but I'm a student of the game, so to speak.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:45 am

Vhalidictes wrote:
Hawkwing74 wrote:

Stellaris is interesting to me because the difficulty is all over the place. Too much depends on how the galaxy is initially set up, it seems. Also, the AI seems to randomly choose between super-aggressive and super-passive no matter what type of civilization it is (haven't run into any AI Hiveminds yet).

I am secure in my life enough to play with mild cheating to make my empire truly great. In the old days, I might have been dedicated to keep trying (for the pride) but I'm lazy now. It allows me to enjoy the game more with limited time spent.

I did have a fallen empire keep attacking me because they were mad I took a planet near them, so I just force peace on them and continue on my way. Same game, an "awakened" Fallen Empire took over easily 60% of the galaxy but by that point I was strong enough that they would leave me alone. But I could not surpass their dominance.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:06 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

I get it.....but I'm a life long Braves fan.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:10 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
I am secure in my life enough to play with mild cheating to make my empire truly great. In the old days, I might have been dedicated to keep trying (for the pride) but I'm lazy now. It allows me to enjoy the game more with limited time spent.

And here I thought I was the only one that did that. trainersftw BUT only in single player games. I draw the line at online multiplayer stuff.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:25 pm

tanker27 wrote:
And here I thought I was the only one that did that. trainersftw BUT only in single player games. I draw the line at online multiplayer stuff.

Right, I would not even know how to engage in multiplayer hacking and don't trust "warez" sites.

Paradox grand strategy games are such that I can usually master them to some degree to have a "good game" but if I really want to paint the map in my color I am not dedicated enough to do it without at least some cheating.

In the old days, I had the dedication to master games like Civ 2 on Deity mode. I have wife, kids, a hectic job. Those days are gone.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:07 pm

tanker27 wrote:

Has anyone ever solved the endgame of Doom2 without copious use of IDDQD and IDFA?

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:56 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:

That game is like a drug. I thought Civ V could be addicting with one more turn.... Stellaris has definitely surpassed that. :lol:

Just picked up the DLC from the steam summer sale. Paradox was a little stingy on the Utopia discount, but the digital bundle at least is a moderate discount.I'm still playing the game in ironman mode, but after I wear out the DLC content I'll probably get into the mods. The level of depth in many places is truly astounding, and it is very refreshing.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:47 pm

Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius

It's a visual novel with a space combat game in the middle of it.... or maybe it's a turn-based space combat game with lots of visual novel elements wrapped around it.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

liquid_mage
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:47 pm

I'm playing a lot of Darkest Dungeon. It's a lot of fun, i'm not entirely sure what the goal is or how long the game is. But I complete dungeons and new ones pop up with new goals and different difficulties. I will spend most of my time on playing it until D3 S11 starts.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:15 am

D3's Necromancer is a ton of fun. It could easily be a case where the class is OP at launch to generate buzz, but I still think the corpse mechanic will be fun.

I picked up Dark Souls III on the Steam sale, and that game is really bad at retaining new players. I can see the appeal, but there's basically no way for a completely new player to get into it without being either naturally talented or getting outside assistance. I'm honestly surprised that no one has one-upped From by making "Dark Souls, but accessible".
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

the
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:20 am

I've started playing Factorio and have become instantly addicted. If you like playing with red stone circuitry in Minecraft and like the combat in many RTS, you'd like Factorio. Might be too addicting....
Dual Opteron 6376, 96 GB DDR3, Asus KGPE-D16, GTX 970
Mac Pro Dual Xeon E5645, 48 GB DDR3, GTX 770
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 32 GB DDR3, GA-X79-UP5-Wifi
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 16 GB DDR3, GTX 970, GA-X68XP-UD4

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:59 am

Ugh, Stellaris is hard. I had another awakened empire attack me. Finally won after a brutal series of naval engagements. The minute I win that one, The Unbidden come in with a 400k power fleet and start eating my planets. After the war I was in, there was no way I could get my fleet back together while they ran amok.

I should have turned off the end game crisis stuff. :/

Now that I've played so much I think I want to try an achievements run and disable the console.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:05 am

Captain Ned wrote:
tanker27 wrote:

Has anyone ever solved the endgame of Doom2 without copious use of IDDQD and IDFA?

Yo, and back when I played on keyboard only. It's much easier with a modern sourceport that allows mouse aim.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

liquid_mage
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:14 am

superjawes wrote:
D3's Necromancer is a ton of fun. It could easily be a case where the class is OP at launch to generate buzz, but I still think the corpse mechanic will be fun.

I picked up Dark Souls III on the Steam sale, and that game is really bad at retaining new players. I can see the appeal, but there's basically no way for a completely new player to get into it without being either naturally talented or getting outside assistance. I'm honestly surprised that no one has one-upped From by making "Dark Souls, but accessible".

I felt the same way about Dark Souls 1, it took me 10 plus hours to have any idea what as going on. It is one of the only games where I can watch a video or two on how to beat a boss and still spend 12+ attempts trying to beat the boss. I put about 45 hours into that game to get 1/4 of the way through it and just kind of stopped playing because I am not naturally talented at timing and reaction games. I loved the feeling of beating a new boss but hated the frustration of 12+ attempts to do it.