Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Re: What are you playing right now?

Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:35 pm

jihadjoe wrote:
Playing the RTX'd Quake II and lovin' it! I can just about get 60fps at 1080P with my RTX2060 with global illumination set to low.

I need to see how well I can do that with two upper-end non-RTX cards, seeing as it's an older title.
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:01 pm

Gunpoint. Excellent little indie game.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:22 pm

Pathfinder: Kingmaker - old-school CRPG
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:17 pm

Kenshi--Rimworld meets Mount & Blade. Interesting game, lots of stuff to explore and do but also very buggy.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:13 pm

Finally bought the 3 DLC’s for AoE2:HD. Doesn’t look like much different other than the new civs. I don’t know that I’ll ever change from my Turk deathmatch preference though.

Ronmcdon
Gerbil In Training

Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:24 am

Im playing in PUBG and world of tanks.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:07 pm

I've never played Factorio, but it's on my mind today after playing Automachef this weekend, which was pitched as "Factorio for cooking". I spent waay too long just tinkering and optimizing some designs, but I had a ton of fun doing it.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

TrevX
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:58 am

Well I'm playing WoW - have been a fan for nearly 5 years and I like the fact you don't need a high spec PC to run the game.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:52 pm

Far Cry 5

Just got started so it's kind of early impressions... but very nice so far. Graphics are excellent and the layout is very nicely done. Really digging the southern rock :D

Story wise it's very similar to the past two in the series. Your character is in a hostile environment, there is a fanatical organization and a resistance against them, etc, etc. But even if it's not exactly original its interesting enough to move the game along. Your job is to rescue hostages, secure locations, and blow **** up.

The previous two in the series were almost too easy; this one seems much more nicely balanced. Enemies are a lot smarter; but so are your AI companions. Getting shot hurts a lot more.

Random animal attacks are a bit overdone... I liberated a farm last night and saved three hostages, only to have them torn apart by a random bear who just happened by. Also, God help you if you annoy a badger...

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:23 pm

jihadjoe wrote:
Playing the RTX'd Quake II and lovin' it! I can just about get 60fps at 1080P with my RTX2060 with global illumination set to low.

I should've picked this up sooner. It feels and plays just like Quake II I played on my Voodoo 3 in 1998, but looks like a completely different game. The global illumination is breathtaking. I'm playing with the same resolution and settings, and occasionally seeing even higher frame rates.

https://twitter.com/TVsBen/status/1165463881776582656
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:56 am

Now that the article is up, I can also talk about Remedy's latest, Control. The PC version runs great and I haven't had any issues. Around 1/3 of the way through it. If you like their weird-ass mysteries (which I do) like Alan Wake or Quantum Break, you'll probably like this a lot.

https://hothardware.com/reviews/remedys ... e-analysis

Lots of reviews talk about the game, but this article talks more about the performance. RTX is heavy, but non-RTX without ray tracing performs well enough.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:25 am

Must have been fun to play on the new cards.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:35 am

It was SUPER fun. :lol:

It still looks nice without all the extra effects, and of course ray tracing reduces performance, but anybody who bought an RTX card of any sort should just buy Control for the best justification of their purchase yet.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:34 am

Far Cry New Dawn

Yeah, I know... it's been out a while :D

Actually just finished the main story last night. Not really a whole game in my opinion... feels more like a DLC expansion of FC5 to be honest. Basically it's the same location as FC5 but 17 years after a nuclear war... the landscape is a mixture of irradiated wasteland and.... flowers. Yeah, tons and tons of flowers everywhere.

The main story is short but kinda fun. Basically you're helping a group of survivors... well, survive... against a hoard who calls themselves the Highwaymen. Same basic gameplay as the series has been since FC3... you capture outposts, find stashes, and fight bad guys. The bad guys like really terrible music (honestly, the main reason to capture outposts is to replace their techno-rap with the classic rock that your side plays) and they like killing and looting and other bad guy things.

Didn't care for the change to combat - weapons do an exact amount of damage based on whether you hit the body or head, and each enemy has a specific number of hit points. So a big part of the game is finding supplies to build bigger guns - if you try to fight a level 3 baddie with a level 1 gun he's just going to laugh at you. Kinda prefer a little more randomness in combat.

Overall it's a fun game... bit short and feels like they kinda rushed the development. I got it for under $10 so not really complaining...

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:26 am

Oof, I hit a game-breaking bug in my Control save game last night. I had to finish a mission by talking to the person I was trying to find. I found them, talked tot hem, and the game crashed. When I re-loaded, I could walk back to that area unencumbered but the person was nowhere to be found.

And Remedy, in all their wisdom, only gives you one save spot. I might have to restart the game if that person isn't where they should be.

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:33 pm

Started a (Semi)casual dungeon oriented guild in Classic ~ Wow, Mankrik Server Horde side. If anyone is looking to check it out hit me up with a PM and ill send you a guild invite. I say semi casual as we are all fairly hardcore gamers with extensive warcraft experience, though limited ambition to get into high end raid content with our schedules. We are basically looking to clear what ever content we have time and manpower to clear with limited amount of PUG. Im not going to turn anyone down for lack of play time commitment or experience. Just be willing to listen, learn, try your best, and have fun.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:58 pm

TrevX wrote:
Well I'm playing WoW - have been a fan for nearly 5 years and I like the fact you don't need a high spec PC to run the game.

My family finally got out of WOW completely, and now my wife just bought a sub for Classic mode. It's... I have to admit I'm tempted.

And I'm saying this with City of Heroes being playable again.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:45 pm

God Of War

This is just a load of fun, and once of the nicest looking games I've ever played. Some of the reviews I've read complained that it was too slow compared to the earlier games in the series... I actually really dig the pacing. I like that the emphasis is on the characters and the story - but that the battles are still f'king epic. One of the best dragon fights ever. I like that you can just randomly run into something that will stomp you into the ground - but that there's also always a way to either avoid it or beat it.

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:06 pm

LoneWolf15 wrote:
jihadjoe wrote:

I need to see how well I can do that with two upper-end non-RTX cards, seeing as it's an older title.

And in reply to this, with two Geforce GTX 1070 cards in SLI, it was lousy. But with an RTX 2080 Super, it's silky smooth.

I beat Wolfenstein: The New Order, and Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, so I'm now playing W: New Colossus (lots of fun) and Shadow Of the Tomb Raider. New Colossus is (along with SoTR) probably the first two adaptive-refresh rate games I've played and on a G-Sync monitor, they're lovely. Also going in and out of Fallout 4.

On the docket are other games I haven't finished (Alan Wake was starting to get interesting), plus Wolfenstein: Youngblood, and Control (free offers with my RTX card). I may go back and grab the most recent Doom, since the last one I played was Doom 3.
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:55 pm

Horizon Zero Dawn

Saw this game a while back and decided it sounded kinda dumb... your character is a young girl living in a post-apocalyptic world, and who hunts robotic creatures with a bow and spear... finally ended up buying it on recommendation the other day.

And it's actually really cool. The story is way better than it sounds from the description - I mean, it's still kinda weird but it's well written and well executed. The visuals are pretty awesome. The action so far has been fairly well balanced and fun.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:19 pm

cphite wrote:
Horizon Zero Dawn

Saw this game a while back and decided it sounded kinda dumb... your character is a young girl living in a post-apocalyptic world, and who hunts robotic creatures with a bow and spear... finally ended up buying it on recommendation the other day.

I thought it was great, the expansion and everything.

cphite wrote:
And it's actually really cool. The story is way better than it sounds from the description - I mean, it's still kinda weird but it's well written and well executed. The visuals are pretty awesome. The action so far has been fairly well balanced and fun.

I really enjoyed it and also recommend it.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:46 am

Warning: Really Long Post Ahead. I'm not sure if it's actually a Rant because it's factual and not full of expletives, but may as well put in a Rant tag too. But it's post-related because I was playing Destiny 2 for the first time last night.

[TL-DR: Destiny 2 is so different from most games that I had real difficulty playing it. After a while, I kind of enjoyed how bad the experience was, similarly to a C-movie that's so horrible that you invent (and start) a drinking game based on it.]

So, my friend and I played Destiny 2 last night. It was an experience - one that started out bad, went into full magical mystery tour mode, and ended up kind of morbidly interesting. I ended up in a kind of zen-like trace of considering what makes a game, and what makes a game fun to play.

But let's start at the beginning. I was informed by a friend that Destiny 2 was free on Steam, and I spent most of yesterday letting 90GB of space fill on what's left of my SSD. And here I thought a terabyte would last me a while!

I met said friend on Discord, started a voice call, and we loaded it up. That's where I had the first inklings that something wasn't right. The game restarted a few times, saying things like "creating account" and "checking for updates". Then I came to a blank white screen that said "Hit Enter to continue".

This was weird. The game was just sitting at a staging screen and asking me if it was okay to load itself. Most games get at least as far as the main menu on startup. It wasn't a launcher, either, it was a full-screen in-game prompt. I can't see the benefit of this, but hey, I was ready to play and sitting right at the computer so I punched it. Kind of convenient for an MMO game to assume that you'd start the game, go and get snacks, and then pause before loading(?).

After another round of mystery updates, and account stuff (no loading bars, no prompts, just static text in the bottom-right corner of the plain white screen that stuff was happening), Suddenly Icons!

Wait, what? I was expecting an account verification. I kind of thought maybe you'd pick out character name? Nope. Three icons on the screen. Oh, they're probably the three Classes. Yeah, they are. I clicked the left one. It mentioned "Titan", which I already knew from cultural osmosis was the tanky-ish class. Best to start there.

Oh, races! Neat. Human, Reef-person which I only know is a thing from fanfiction, and.... Robot? Sure, Robot. Wow, that's a lot of head options. Maybe this was Mass Effect, maybe it was that there wasn't much in the way of customization? Second option, no customization. Bungie didn't have a lot of dev money for character creation, probably.

Well, it was a console game, maybe picking body types a-la TOR was too much work. Sliders were right-out, that wasn't invented yet. City of Heroes body customization came out in 2004, right? I picked the least-Terminator-looking face (this was non-trivial) and... eye glow color? Blue, that's friendly! I changed the warpaint (on a robot??) to a serial number thingy. I changed the face decal to black to see if it would disappear into the black skull, and it turned dark purple instead. No hiding your bad decal choices!

I get a shot at changing options before starting the game, so I picked a few. 1080p to match my monitor, and full-screen windowed mode, oh, and subtitles because I can never hear the NPCs.

OK! We're in the game. Wow, it looks good. Exactly like the Fallout engine, except with better sky, better draw distance, and ... wow, solid 144FPS.

I thought this game was 3rd-person but I can't see myself. Oh, it's a cut-scene. Ghost introduction. I get some on-screen text to use WASD. (Note: This is the first of only two on-screen instructions that I will ever see in D2.) I note that there's no jumping. That's ok, some Devs don't allow jumping because people get places they shouldn't.

Oh crap, the bottom line of Subtitles are being cut off because my Windows Start bar is showing through. Damnit. I ignore the Ghost and change my settings. Oh, there's a line that says I have to accept the changes before they will apply. That's fine, there's an Apply button somewhere... right? Um. Crap, it's probably at the bottom of the screen and cut off!

What to do. I Google. No results. I complain to my friend. He says that "accept" in this context means the Enter key. I hit it, and nothing happens. What?? I hit it harder! Wait, what? There's a ...it's a wait timer. A line is going across my screen, and I keep Enter down until it takes. YES! Borderless window mode engaged. Ghost is done with his intro by now so I guess that info dump is gone forever.

A dungeon entrance! A gun! Enemies! I note two things: 1) I am rusty at FPS games, and 2) I have limited ammo. Will I run out before the tutorial is over? Despite checking corners, a mob jumps me. Oh, a scripted melee tutorial. Hit key (I forget which one) to punch. OK. (Note: This is the second, and final, on-screen control scheme prompt.) Crap, I died. Good thing no one is here to see that! OK, respawn and... no ammo replenishment, that's ok. I'll just find some. If there is any in the tutorial.

Oh hey, right-clicking zooms in. That helps, my hit rating goes way up. That's odd - I got more ammo at some point but it's not clear that I picked anything up? Weird.

I get a prompt to pick up the ENERGY WEAPON. The ENERGY WEAPON turns out to be a shotgun. A 1980's style one. That fires regular shot. That only has 11 ammo. And then I see a 10-second-long shotgun reload animation. Uh, I'm in-combat, game. Nope, gotta watch myself insert 7 shells one at a time. Dead again. But at least this time it's not my fault?

I get to the end of the tutorial. Boss fight! I shoot a lot but he's got a shield and I get a "no effect" message where the bullet damage should be. Uhhhh? Tutorial right? Wait, my CLASS POWER activated on its own. Some kind of bull-rushing ability. Maybe it's scripted too? I'm not sure but two things happen: 1) The boss's shield is gone and he's taken a lot of damage. Let's hear it for the glowy Titan ram attack!! Oh, and I died again. 3rd time's the charm, right?

But the Boss's shield is gone now so I bullet him to death with my AR. Oddly quickly, but he was only at half health. I walk outside again and into a giant fight between a bunch of other players and a tank. The tank is winning, mostly because of constantly-respawning trash mobs shooting players in the back when they appear.

No one seems to be coordinating or talking. Not that this would make sense due to the constant battle. I briefly wonder if there's a in-game explanation as to why there's a bunch of other players here, but I can't think of anything that would fit the narrative.

We all attack the enemies for a while. Nothing seems to happen, and eventually Ghost says for me to follow him to a ship nearby. I'm not sure if the tank-boss-thing was ever killed or not, but at this point I want to get out of the tutorial so I leave as instructed.

Next hallway and I see a broken ship. I don't mean there's some rust, I mean there's full-on chunks missing. Ghost says he can fix it. I don't know, it looks like it's never moving again, but whatever. Holy **** space magic happens and the wrecked ship moves! Before I can panic about a bunch more Boss mobs showing up I'm teleported into it in a cut-scene.

Wait. If my Ghost can fix the ship and teleport me around, why did I just fight my way through 100 mobs? Eh, it's a tutorial. Wow, the flight it pretty though. Wait... this is a fancy loading screen. Why does a game on a SSD need 90 seconds to load the next area?? Most of the way through the video all sound cuts out so I guess the new area is already loaded but I have to sit through the rest of the loading screen.

And... I'm in The City! Or The Tower, it’s not clear. (Great name, much creative)

OK, so randomly I'm in 3rd-person now and can look at myself. Nice! I have a mini-map in the top-left corner of the screen. It contains me, a ton of blue triangles, and no scale or wall-outlines. OK, so the blue triangles are mobs. And players. And... ok, so the triangles are anything you can interact with. This... isn't useful. But at least it looks pretty?

I have no markers. I have no quests. I have no prompts. Well, there's a guy standing relatively far ahead of me that looks important. Ok, it's the Titan class leader. He tells me how nice the view is up here, with the broken Traveler shell looming above. He tells me I'll see him again later. I guess he's right. He's got quests for me, right? No. Exposition? No. What to do next in vague hints like Everquest 1? No. Um...

Time to wander! I poke around and talk to people. I find the real-money vendor. I have no tokens. I find the in-game weapon vendor. He doesn't give me a quest or exposition, but he does give me a gun upgrade. What? I didn't even really talk to him, or have a chance to buy anything, he just straight-up randomly hands me a weapon. I'm not complaining, but what trope is that because I don't know?

I find my character screen and switch to it. Apparently all the gear is on your character screen in a drop-down menu for the slot. Kind of strange, but explains why there's no Inventory that I can find. I slot my new gun. It also has an energy damage symbol. Does this mean that it counts as an ENERGY WEAPON? Will that tutorial prompt ever mean anything as far as I know? (Spoiler: No.)

My friend can invite me to a team now that I'm out of the tutorial. He does so, and I join from the on-screen prompt. And... the game has voice chat! And so does Discord! After much painful echo, we turn off the Discord audio. And the in-game voice chat quality is complete ****. But it works fine otherwise so we stay in it.

Finding each other... not sure how since there's no friend marker in the UI or the mini-map. I give up on locating him and hunt for the armor vendor so I can maybe score more free gear. I do not discover said vendor. He finds me eventually, and we roam The City for about 15 minutes.

Side note: Once he's in the party/fire-team I can see his character name is his <Steam username>. I guess that explains why my character didn't have a name in the UI anywhere? It's just (always?) your Steam name. Which is weird since you can have multiple characters... I don't worry too much about it - it's just part of Destiny's charm/weird ****. (I sure hope your Steam name makes for a good character name)

No quests or obvious clues about what to do next appear. I do note a voice chat icon above his character's head. That's literally the only way I can easily find him on my screen. Look for the voice symbol above his head (the icon shows through walls, at apparently unlimited distance).

My friend demands that I queue up a mission. I don't know how, but he mentions that he thinks you get quests from the map.

Map? (Tab, twice, because why not use the same key for nested options?) Oh, that's what that is! There's a highly iconified non-realistic ...view(?) of the solar system if orbits were right-angles? I click around it for a few minutes and indeed the map objects are clickable. They give some background info and some quests. Quests! I click on one at random and... nothing happens.

I click on it a second time just to see what happens, and... success! I think? We see a cutscene of the holey ship from the tutorial travelling.

But this time there's two of them. They look exactly the same so I assume that my friend's character ran through the same dungeon mine did. There must be scads of identical ships in that Russian geofront-thing.

After the 90-second animation plays out, we find ourselves in the ...oh hey, it's the Eichenwalde map from Overwatch, with a Fallout 4 skin added. It looks like early 20th-century architecture (now with holes).

There’s other players here, but they don’t interact with us. They’re doing map events and otherwise murdering the bug-soldier foes (is there any other kind? There must be but I’ve only seen one enemy faction so far).

We wander and shoot at things. Most things don’t explode. I get in an argument with my friend over whether ENERGY WEAPON or normal critical hits crack boss shields. We can’t decide who’s correct.

We eventually come across a church. We can’t reach the top floor because it’s too high, but my friend discovers that we can double jump. What? Oh, it works. Okay then. We reach the belltower and there’s an NPC there!

He spits flavor text at us, rather a lot of it, but no quests. I ask my friend if anyone actually play-tested this game at any point. Maybe he’s supposed to give quests but can’t because of… something?

We find a bunch of loot crates and loot them, shoot a bunch of humanoid bugs, and generally aimlessly wander. We help a bunch of other players with some event that consists of a drop-ship that deposits power-armored bug with riot shields - until the event stops. It might be timed, or it might be limited to a certain number of kills, there’s no way to tell.

We don’t seem to be getting experience or money, but I spot a bunch of blue cubes on the ground and pick them up because they must represent something.

We find a bunch of vehicles on the map that seem identical to the ones we can spawn from the Tab menu except they have weak guns that don’t require ammo. If they get damaged they catch on fire. They don’t ever explode or become inoperable, though.

Somewhere along the way, I notice that I picked up a rocket launcher and exactly two rockets. I have three weapon slots now! I also notice that although there doesn’t seem to be friendly-fire, there definitely is self-damage as my rocket weapon-test kills me. Thankfully there doesn’t seem to be any kind of death penalty, so there’s that. Or maybe there is, it’s not like I ever found an XP bar. Or XP reward notifications. Or levels, for that matter.

For lack of anything else to try, we go back to the NPC again to see if there’s any quests. Defying all reason, there is! There’s now three gold squares that represent some kind of repeatable/daily mission.

We…. we can do ...something. Praise the Devs! We also find out that we already did all these things and didn’t get any credit because we didn’t have the missions slotted.

My friend and I get into an argument over whether there is a health bar. He seems convinced that the grey line above the weapon display represents that, but I’ve never seen mine move - it’s either missing or a full line, so I disagree. I mention that there’s 3 blue icons below my gun display that looks suspiciously like Class abilities (there’s supposed to be three, right?), but we don’t see a way to activate them.

It’s probably a key combination that was supposed to be mentioned by an NPC we didn’t find. I speculate that the game was originally a console game so maybe they’re bound to mouse buttons 9 or 10 that ours don’t physically have, but are part of the XBox controller button map.

We travel randomly around the wilder, less city-ruins part of the map and find an alien base. As soon as we get there the game announces that there’s an event, and we’re invited to complete it. Score!! Something about a refueling attempt and we need to stop it, I think.

We stay on our vehicles and fight a giant purple eye that spawns little purple eyes that protect it while trash mobs spawn. In short order we win, and now both our vehicles are on fire but they still work perfectly. And we didn’t even need to use up any ammo!

At this point my friend discovers that we’d picked up dozens of armor pieces and a bunch of weapons. I go to my character sheet and check, and sure enough all of my character’s slots have drop-downs for alternate gear now.

This is great! I wonder when I got them? It’s not like the game told me when I found gear. It probably would have been a big help to use them before now.

I slot my new gear, and then notice that we’ve been haphazardly shooting moving things for hours and it’s late. The shooting part of the game is sure fun, even though all of the game design decisions were apparently made by meth-addled alligators who never played a PC game.

My friend and I talked for awhile about how to leave the map, and we can’t figure it out. He recommends that I log out and that should return my character to The City. I can’t argue with needing to log out, so I try it. I haven’t logged in again so I have no idea if that worked.

My rating: 7 Dingoes out of Rhino. Would be confused and angered again. Will not read multiple Wikis to find out what the default control scheme is, on general principles.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:48 pm

The UI in Destiny 2 is by far the worst I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. Agreed on all sentiments, except that the story is actually decent moving forward if you have a buddy that can explain the controls as you're playing. I would have dropped it pretty quickly otherwise.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Daynoh
Gerbil In Training

Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:30 am

I'm listening to a music mashup. I hope that qualifies as something I'm playing.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:35 am

Frostpunk. I just finished my first play-through of the first scenario. Only 309 of my citizens survived the storm. :( On the plus side, though, they worship me as their god. :evil:
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:22 am

I would LOVE to be playing Red Dead Redemption II on PC but no can do. TWO whole days and trying every trick posted on Rockstars' support and forum pages and even going to Reddit, I cannot get the damn thing to run. And yes my PC exceeds the minimum specs. :evil:
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:14 pm

tanker27 wrote:
I would LOVE to be playing Red Dead Redemption II on PC but no can do. TWO whole days and trying every trick posted on Rockstars' support and forum pages and even going to Reddit, I cannot get the damn thing to run. And yes my PC exceeds the minimum specs. :evil:

Do you have another PC to sanity check the game install? It could be almost anything, but if you let me know what you've already tried I might be able to come up with something.

What ended up fixing a MS Store/Minecraft problem for me ended up being making a new user account on the PC and then everything magically worked, which led to me discovering that I'd disabled some service that it depended on on my main account.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:13 am

Vhalidictes wrote:
let me know what you've already tried I might be able to come up with something.

Lets see:

Updated BIOS
Updated NVidia drivers (used DDU for clean install)
Turned off MS active virus scan
White listed the whole RDRII Folder and exes
White listed Rockstars stupid launcher, dont save login it's always manual here
edited system.xml for lower settings, tried both Vulkan API and DX12, disabled HDR
Reinstalled the game TWICE from Epic Store
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:41 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Lets see:

Updated BIOS
Updated NVidia drivers (used DDU for clean install)
Turned off MS active virus scan
White listed the whole RDRII Folder and exes
White listed Rockstars stupid launcher, dont save login it's always manual here
edited system.xml for lower settings, tried both Vulkan API and DX12, disabled HDR
Reinstalled the game TWICE from Epic Store

Thanks! That sounds pretty thorough. Have you taken a look through the Application log (eventvwr.msc) for the errors that show up when you run the launcher?

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:07 pm

Nope but I will tonight! Hopefully that will give me a clue.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')