Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Re: What are you playing right now?

Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:59 am

Finally started Tyranny. I don't think it's 40 hours the way I play. I am making sure to complete all quests, so it will take longer. I'm finding the story very intriguing. It's better than Torment: Numenera. It may be better than Pillars of Eternity.

I'm finding it very well written so far. Gives me a Baldur's Gate nostalgic vibe.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:04 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Finally started Tyranny. I don't think it's 40 hours the way I play. I am making sure to complete all quests, so it will take longer. I'm finding the story very intriguing. It's better than Torment: Numenera. It may be better than Pillars of Eternity.

I'm finding it very well written so far. Gives me a Baldur's Gate nostalgic vibe.

Hawkwing74, can you give us an update once you've finished it? Maybe I've been spoiled by years of Bethesda games, but 40 hours seems really short to me; I can't wrap my head around spending money on such a short game. Does it have a lot of narrative branches / replayable?

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:00 am

Vhalidictes wrote:

Hawkwing74, can you give us an update once you've finished it? Maybe I've been spoiled by years of Bethesda games, but 40 hours seems really short to me; I can't wrap my head around spending money on such a short game. Does it have a lot of narrative branches / replayable?

Got 12 hours in so far. It has a fair amount of talking and narrative but as far as I can tell, 3 main paths. You can side with one or the other faction, or try to just kill everyone.

The skill/fighting system is definitely different from DnD. Bit of a learning curve with that. There is an interesting crafting system I have recently unlocked.

Some people might like trying different teams. I have 7 characters so far but I use my favorite 4. One fight, got stuck on because the enemy had 2 tanks and I couldn't get to the spellcaster. My team is a bit melee heavy (3 melee, 1 ranged/heal) so had problems with this fight. My other 3 characters I don't use are a spellcaster, bard, and another melee.

I would not expect to replay it but I am really enjoying it. I'll update total hours played when I finish the campaign.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:48 am

I played/finished Metroid: Samus Returns a few days ago. Overall, I am very happy to have another Metroid game, and FINALLY one that makes proper use of the dual screens. They also did a good job of providing flavor to the various Metroid fights, since the original had to repeat the same 4 bosses multiple times.

I will say, though, shoehorning in Ridley at the very end was pretty lame.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:49 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Got 12 hours in so far. It has a fair amount of talking and narrative but as far as I can tell, 3 main paths. You can side with one or the other faction, or try to just kill everyone.

The skill/fighting system is definitely different from DnD. Bit of a learning curve with that. There is an interesting crafting system I have recently unlocked.

Some people might like trying different teams. I have 7 characters so far but I use my favorite 4. One fight, got stuck on because the enemy had 2 tanks and I couldn't get to the spellcaster. My team is a bit melee heavy (3 melee, 1 ranged/heal) so had problems with this fight. My other 3 characters I don't use are a spellcaster, bard, and another melee.

I would not expect to replay it but I am really enjoying it. I'll update total hours played when I finish the campaign.

Thanks for the info, Hawkwing.

At three main branch paths and ~40 hours, that's roughly 120 which is decent, I'll likely end up getting this when I can. Is there any DLC?

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:30 am

Vhalidictes wrote:
Thanks for the info, Hawkwing.

At three main branch paths and ~40 hours, that's roughly 120 which is decent, I'll likely end up getting this when I can. Is there any DLC?

Not sure on DLC, have to check later. I don't think the 3rd path is very interesting. If you "Betray your Alliance" it just becomes a slaughter fest and the RPG aspect goes out the window. People who tried that path in the reviews were not happy.

I picked one path but made the wrong decision and now my character is a party to evil acts by others. I would like a way to switch back to the other but doesn't seem to be possible yet.

Still very much enjoying the game. Very much a Baldur's Gate experience to me.

hijohn
Gerbil In Training

Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:29 am

WoW

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:23 am

Done with my second run of Dishonored 2, so I'll probably fart around with Pinball Arcade for a while.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:32 pm

Stellaris with the new "Synthetic Dawn" pack. Steamworld: Dig 2 for fun, masterfully crafted Metroidvania. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door with my son, because now that it's getting dark earlier it's time to break out the video games in the evening again.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:02 am

Re: Tyranny

There is some DLC. I installed it and started over as a mage. it's a little tougher at the beginning. Magic seems really weak compared to D&D. My first game had a heavy armor fighter, which like many RPG's of yore was easier.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:16 pm

Re: Tyranny
I strongly suggest playing with the DLC because it adds a lot more potential quests. I've heartily enjoyed the game and have spent about 35 hours in 2 different runs so far. My 1st run was near done but didn't have the DLC. The 2nd run has a bit more left to do.

If worried about game length, might be best to wait for Steam or GOG sale. It's worth trying, though.

superjawes

Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:28 pm

liquid_mage wrote:
superjawes wrote:
I picked up Dark Souls III on the Steam sale, and that game is really bad at retaining new players. I can see the appeal, but there's basically no way for a completely new player to get into it without being either naturally talented or getting outside assistance. I'm honestly surprised that no one has one-upped From by making "Dark Souls, but accessible".
I felt the same way about Dark Souls 1, it took me 10 plus hours to have any idea what as going on. It is one of the only games where I can watch a video or two on how to beat a boss and still spend 12+ attempts trying to beat the boss. I put about 45 hours into that game to get 1/4 of the way through it and just kind of stopped playing because I am not naturally talented at timing and reaction games. I loved the feeling of beating a new boss but hated the frustration of 12+ attempts to do it.
So I gave Dark Souls III another go, and I am having fun with it now. It still falls squarely into the "Not Recommended" category (because any recommendation would come with heavy qualifications), but I'll probably knock this out and then have some fun with Bloodborne on PS4.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:02 pm

1 year late and one of the most popular games, but I started Battlefield 1 campaign last night. It's neat and unique how they tie everything in historically. Admittedly I don't know much about WW1, so some of the facts snippets were interesting. Also, the "memorial" that shows when you die it an interesting add. Gives a sense of mortality to the whole thing.....even though it's a video game and you just go back to the last checkpoint and start over.

I appreciated the sense of homage the game paid to the war and the people that served/died in it.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:08 pm

Most of my video game time is dedicated to playing with my cat (Final Fantasy XIV).
Although, on occasion, Geralt swings his swords too.
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

superjawes

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:45 am

I've been playing Bloodbrne, and it feels very, very strange...I like this one A LOT more than I did Dark Souls 3. It may be because I played most of DS3 and "get it" now, or it may be because I am only a few bosses in. Still, I find it ironic that I am somehow less frustrated by a From Software game that is generally considered harder than the rest.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:29 am

Thoroughly enjoying Dishonored 2!!! Highly recommended for anyone who enjoys single player campaigns, puzzle solving, exploration, etc.

I played the original and liked that one also. The 2nd game follows the same basic formula as the first but includes some fresh additions like new abilities and more complex maps. The clockwork mansion and crack in the slab levels are incredible works of creativity! Both games have so many hidden areas off (and above/below) the beaten path that they offer an open world feel without the open world game pitfalls of wandering aimlessly in the middle of nowhere for hours on end. The maps also offer many paths to the same point, which is nice.
My natural play style is low/no lethality by choking out every baddie on the map before I progress (which takes longer), but once I finish, I'll play through a second time as the cloud of death. The game events do change based on your decisions to kill or not to kill (everyday soldiers, as well as main characters), as does the final outcome of the game. I could see someone playing the game as: undetected, low lethality, high lethality, and you also have the option to choose not to acquire powers at the beginning of the game.

Hint: If you care to take the time, some enemy soldiers are bad and some are good-hearted. Killing bad soldiers doesn't affect the chaos level of the game much/at all, while killing good-hearted soldiers does. Let your heart guide you.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:15 pm

There have been twelve seasons of Diablo 3 RoS. For the second time ever, I completed enough of the season journey to get the extra stash tab, and for the first time ever I completely cleared the season journey. I got my HoTA/IK Barbarian to GR level 82 and amassed a total of 568 paragon levels. Played on PC this time, but next time I might go back to PS4.

Those results pushed my non-seasonal paragon level from 807 to 856. Pretty successful season by my standards. Most of that was done over Thanksgiving and winter breaks.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:24 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
There have been twelve seasons of Diablo 3 RoS. For the second time ever, I completed enough of the season journey to get the extra stash tab, and for the first time ever I completely cleared the season journey. I got my HoTA/IK Barbarian to GR level 82 and amassed a total of 568 paragon levels. Played on PC this time, but next time I might go back to PS4.

Those results pushed my non-seasonal paragon level from 807 to 856. Pretty successful season by my standards. Most of that was done over Thanksgiving and winter breaks.

My group of friends usually complete the season journies together. It's fun, plus you get cool rewards and XP. We haven't played at all in S12, but I'd like to get back into it at some point.

We've been playing OW a lot lately. They've made some good balance changes, and they have so many promo events there is cool stuff to do most the time. Plus it's just a fun game. Moira ftw.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:49 pm

DancinJack wrote:
My group of friends usually complete the season journies together. It's fun, plus you get cool rewards and XP. We haven't played at all in S12, but I'd like to get back into it at some point.

We've been playing OW a lot lately. They've made some good balance changes, and they have so many promo events there is cool stuff to do most the time. Plus it's just a fun game. Moira ftw.

About the only people I ever played online with are my wife (who doesn't play as much, so it's usually just to power her through some stuff) and tfp (who is where the time zone difference makes it very rare anymore... :/).

S12 just ended, but S13 starts the 23rd I think.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:58 pm

My love of D3 faded but I did finally get my Blizz acount fixed so I can play again. Not sure I want to deal with another season. Do they have any plans for expansions?

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:29 pm

DPete27 wrote:
1 year late and one of the most popular games, but I started Battlefield 1 campaign last night. It's neat and unique how they tie everything in historically. Admittedly I don't know much about WW1, so some of the facts snippets were interesting. Also, the "memorial" that shows when you die it an interesting add. Gives a sense of mortality to the whole thing.....even though it's a video game and you just go back to the last checkpoint and start over.
I appreciated the sense of homage the game paid to the war and the people that served/died in it.

Thanks, that's good to know they included some history in it. Battlefield-1 has been on my wishlist for over a year and I'll probably get it next time EA does a large discount. I enjoy military history and early PC military sim/shooter games in the 1990's used to include history manuals. Jane's Combat Simulations had them and Aces over Eurpoe (WWII) was another one that came with a nice history book of campaigns that you could read about as you played through them on the PC.

I just finished "Valley" which Steam had on sale for $4.99. It's a first person game that tries to mix in a lot of game elements and the overall result is less than what I think they were trying to achieve? The environment was immersive/interesting to explore and it had a sort of mythological, archeological, sci-fi, and 1940's war-time story arc. Some combat was in it but very underwhelming. The special suit for running/jumping was basically the highlight of it.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:56 pm

G8torbyte wrote:
Battlefield-1 has been on my wishlist for over a year and I'll probably get it next time EA does a large discount.

Not sure if you're a single player or multiplayer person. The single player campaign(s) were decent but short (about 12 hours in total for a "sneaky" play-through). Multiplayer is...obviously...

End User

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:11 pm

iRacing

Initially I just practiced on my own to get a feel for the game and learn the tracks. I’m now participating in races.

I’m decidedly mid pack.

The biggest thing I had to sort out was survival. Many drivers know what they are doing but some are either so aggressive or so bad that you have to keep clear otherwise they will take you off.

Kougar

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:31 pm

Civilization VI Rise & Fall expansion. The game mechanics and balance are now in a state where I'd say it is an improvement over Civ V in all respects.

The downside, is the AI is still hopelessly broken due to unfixed programming flaws. It still attacks with solo civilian / religious / support units and doesn't buy new military forces to defend itself even when it has a huge GPT to do so.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:17 pm

I've gotten my son hooked on Age of Empires 2 (Yay Steam!). What a nostalgia rush. I've very much enjoyed watching him play the game I've put more hours into over all other games combined. Good times!

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:23 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
My love of D3 faded but I did finally get my Blizz acount fixed so I can play again. Not sure I want to deal with another season. Do they have any plans for expansions?

How long has it been since you have played?

RoS was released in 2014
Necromancer pack in June 2017

They have added quite a bit of content and other balancing, gold, legendaries, gems, etc etc etc over the years. You don't have to play a season either, I suppose, but you get cool rewards and have objectives that you can focus on rather than just power leveling for days on days on days. I would suggest you do at least give it another shot. D3 and OW are by far the best two games of the past five years for MP fun (IMO). (btw i'm not really a blizzard fanatic. I never got into WoW or some of their other big stuff. Played the crap out of SC LoD but was not really a fan of SC2)
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

LostCat

Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:31 am

Monster Hunter: World is kinda weird. Reminds me of Evolve, but in RPG format...I don't know about the gameplay but so far the rest of it seems to have a lot more variety.

I only just got started so haven't really put it through its paces yet.

I don't love it, yet. But I didn't expect to, so there's that.
Meow.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:14 pm

Overwatch as usual.

superjawes

Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:11 pm

superjawes wrote:
I've been playing Bloodbrne, and it feels very, very strange...I like this one A LOT more than I did Dark Souls 3. It may be because I played most of DS3 and "get it" now, or it may be because I am only a few bosses in. Still, I find it ironic that I am somehow less frustrated by a From Software game that is generally considered harder than the rest.

Update: Beat it. Love it. Will be tapping my toes into NG+ and probably getting the DLC.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:03 pm

superjawes wrote:
Update: Beat it. Love it. Will be tapping my toes into NG+ and probably getting the DLC.

outside of Dark Souls, From Software has some really splendid games. Otogi 1 and 2 on the OG Xbox and Ninja Blade on Xbox 360 (not well received, but I liked it) are some tough but fun ones. They also had some crummy games. How did Armored Core get unending sequels?