Personal computing discussed

Moderator: Hoser

synthtel2
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Re: What are you playing right now?

Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:56 pm

Skyrim! I've had some fun with it before, but I finally got it set up with all the mods (Requiem, Civil War Overhaul, and a few smaller things) and am doing a more serious playthrough. Requiem makes you take it more seriously - it delevels the world, and the difficulty feels more Dark Souls than Bethesda. In vanilla, even at low level you're a pretty powerful kind of character who can go anywhere and take on anything just because you feel like it. In Requiem, you're just some random schmuck thrown into the adventuring life with no particular assets beyond save-scumming and being a quick learner. It's awesome. :D

I'm also playing some Planetside 2 here and there. I'd tried it before and the performance was unworkable (DX9 + lots of draw calls = all the CPU load, and I'm running it on Linux through Wine), but they've got things under control these days. IMHO, the game mechanics are everything Battlefield wishes it could be (though of course the graphics are dated).

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:46 am

Fallout 4 mostly, with some Stalker Lost Alpha and a bit of ESO, even fired up Skyrim. I just got a GTX 1070 and I'm playing them to see what they look like really.

Took one of my VR15s, or whatever they call em' now and went and worked a bit in ESO. In PvE it's steadily gotten easier, well since the game came out. I wandered around with my Hammer wielding little fat Orc Beserker (Stam DK) female, and bashed stuff. ;)

Fallout 4 with all the trimmings is pretty sweet. The 1070 renders what seems an especially solid video feel. The rocks really look rocklike. I dunno.

Stalker is great with all that power and I can turn it all on. Very smooth and nice.

Skyrim looks great and runs flat out all the time. 60 fps all the time on my 301 Sparta.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:59 pm

PenGun wrote:
The Egg wrote:
Recently bought the Witcher 3 during the Steam summer sale, and I'm considering my first refund. The game is beautiful and right up my alley, but I absolutely hate 3rd person combat. I don't think I can get used to it. :(

Me too. I just can't do it. Almost 2 years of ESO, all played FP and there are several games I'd try if they had an FP option.

Oh yeah, kind of dominated ESO, although that's supposed to be difficult in FP. I understand you have more all round vision, but I look when I enter an area, and I know just what hit me from behind and have no real need for TP for that part of gaming.

Playing F4 these days, well once my EVGA 1070 arrives, the Zotac GTX 780 **** the bed once too often, and is now a paper weight.

The Witcher 3 – First-person mod is now available.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

yogibbear
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:09 pm

puppetworx wrote:
Finally got Rocket League and have been destroying my life with it over the weekend. Pretty addictive, need to improve my rocketing game though, might have to change the controls.

I got it about a year after it came out but play it at least once a week ever since. I think on a xbox controller the only change I made was made Camera X and the flying Roll Y instead of the other way around. Otherwise defaults are fine. Just get used to using Ball Camera 99% of the time and you'll quickly get pretty good.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

cphite
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:33 am

Project CARS on PS4...

Decided I wanted a racing game and saw this for $20 so picked it up. It's basically a racing simulator with cars ranging from carts to formula one.

Gameplay right out of the box is unforgiving... for example, I started a test race and grabbed a Formula 1A and right as the light turned green gunned the engine and immediately went into the wall. Torque steer :) Decided to try a road car (Audi something or other) and managed a little better... handling is very realistic in terms of steering, braking... take a turn too fast and you'll hit the wall. Overcompensate too much and you fishtail. They even take things like tire heat into consideration - first lap or so and you'll lose grip easier because the tires are cold. Oh, and also pretty realistic are the penalties for leaving the track.

There are settings that'll help you with that sort of thing; steering assist, automatic braking for curves, and so forth if you want them. You can also decide whether tires wear or not, fuel usage, mechanical wear and tear, damage from hitting things. Weather is very realistic both in terms of visuals and how it affects the car.

The graphics are very nice; the cars renderings are awesome, and the tracks are spot on accurate. They cut back on the crowds and some off track details, but the tracks themselves are very well done with little details like skid marks and the like. The sound is *really* nicely done. If you have a decent sound system and turn it up load, you feel like you're at the tracks.

Overall I am impressed. If you're a serious racing fan you might love it; if you're a casual gamer you might not. My only complaint is that as someone who isn't a veteran racer (gaming or otherwise) there is a pretty steep learning curve, especially once you start with the actual "career" mode. You're thrown right in and you either qualify or you don't.

Topinio
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:47 pm

Oh dear, I just re-subbed to WoW. Family are away at my in-laws for a while, this is the 2nd night on my own and I'm already off the rails :wink:
Desktop: E3-1270 v5, X11SAT-F, 32GB, R9 290X, 250GB BX100, 2TB Ultrastar, Xonar DGX, XL2730Z
HTPC: i5-2500K, DH67GD, 6GB, GT 1030 SC, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Barracuda, Xonar DX

Voldenuit

Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:57 pm

Anyone playing Enderal?Just wondering if it's worth reinstalling Skyrim for.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:02 pm

It is. A great game.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:08 pm

I'm still playing warframe these days. Seems it's harder and harder for me to be entertained by new games. No man's land lasted about 2 hours or something.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:15 pm

Been messing around in Fallout 4 with the new Vault-Tec Workshop. Probably will take a break from Fallout 4 and reinstall Skyrim so I can play Enderal.
Core i7-4790K @ 4.6 GHz | ASUS Z97-E/USB3.1 | 16GB DDR3-2133 MHz 9-10-10-29 @ 1.505mV | XFX Radeon RS RX 480 8GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB (Boot) | SanDisk Ultra II 480 GB | Phantek Eclipse P400S | EVGA 850 BQ | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Bates228
Gerbil

Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:24 am

Witcher 3. Absolute masterpiece. Want to find a similar game. Any advice? 

Acidicheartburn
Gerbil First Class

Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:36 am

Heiwashin wrote:
I'm still playing warframe these days. Seems it's harder and harder for me to be entertained by new games. No man's land lasted about 2 hours or something.

Agreed. I am feeling the same thing. Very few new games interest me these days. I have an embarrassing amount of time in Warframe.

strangequark18
Gerbil

Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:19 pm

I made a personal ban to stop myself from buying new games until I go through my Steam library. I finally made a concerted effort, getting through Borderlands + DLC (okay), Assassin's Creed 3 (meh), Bastion (okay), and started The Witcher 1 (dated but fun). But of course my friends got hyped for this WoW expansion and re-subbed so here I am, probably about to dump another few hundred hours in WoW while my Steam library collects dust again.

At least I'm not wasting hours in Dota 2. The first few hundred hours of Dota 2 were extremely enjoyable, but after a while the game gets repetitive - pubs, at least. I believe that the game can be (almost) infinitely enjoyable if you have a 5 man team, incorporate drafting and strategy, and play to win, but the generic solo-game of just picking a hero and doing your thing becomes unfulfilling.

Nohater86
Gerbil In Training

Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:36 am

Witcher 3. Probably the best 2016. This genre is the only type I play these days.

Neutronbeam
Silver subscriber
Gerbil XP

Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:53 am

Just started Fallout 4 and slowly getting interested. Was big fan of Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas.

Khali
Gerbil XP

Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:10 pm

I got bored with FO4 and revisited a few favorite games.

I made my way through Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age 2. I had full intentions of doing the whole trilogy but I got bored quickly with Dragon Age Inquisition once I made it to Skyhold. I also did a full Mass Effect Trilogy play through.

Dabbled with Banished for a day or two. Then I finally jumped back into Star Trek Online to play the Agent of Yesteryear event they have going on with a Temporal Agent character.

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:47 pm

Most of my time is gobbled up by tending the cat in Final Fantasy XIV.
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

DancinJack

Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:50 pm

FO4 was so incredibly boring IMO. I only made it like, 20 percent through.

Lately: Witcher 3 (duh) and lots of Overwatch.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

All Con Kid
Gerbil

Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:21 am

Playing a game called "Earthlock: Festival of Magic", which is the free Xbox Live with Gold game this month. Game is made by a Norwegian developer called Show Castle, paying homeage to Japanese RPGs from the 90s, so you will recognise elements from Final Fantasy and Harvest Moon while playing. Apparently, the game started on Kickstarter and was close to to being cancelled, but luckily for them, Microsoft came to the rescue by launching it through Xbox Live Gold. 

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:46 am

I started playing The Town Of Light, and had to take a break after the first hour.  All the crazy hallucinatory visual effects combined with the storyline had me feeling a bit uneasy.

Hawkwing74
Silver subscriber
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:50 am

I kept telling myself I wouldn't buy WoW Legion but my wife paid half out of her spending money so here I am, playing again. I'm enjoying the artifact levelling system.

Also still playing Hearthstone. Hunter and Druid with 500 ranked wins, and working on others now.

And a bunch of freemium games. I don't know why I like them, but it's nice to have a timekiller when needed.
Ex. Simpsons: Tapped Out - can easily play for free.

bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:34 pm

NES, SNES, and Atari 2600 2-player co-op classics with the daughter process.
Hakkaa päälle!
i5-2500K@4.3|Asus P8P67-LE|8GB DDR3-1600|Powercolor R7850 2G|SanDisk Ultra II 480GB|1988 Model M|Saitek X-45|Logitech MX 518 & F310|Dell 2209WA|Sennheiser PC151|Asus Xonar DX

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:12 am

FTL. Fell off the wagon again. Goddammit, why does this have to be such a perfect game?

cphite
Gerbil Elite

Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:16 am

Elder Scrolls Online, PS4

I am mixed about this game.  It's an amazing game - the visuals are just awesome and it's freaking huge.  The story, so far, seems interesting; the voice acting is excellent.  

But...  I really wish it were single player because it just doesn't work for me the way multiplayer is implemented.  

It's like this...  in Skyrim, you'd get a quest to go into an ancient ruin or cave or whatever and retrieve whatever ancient magic thing.  So you'd go in and you'd work your way through by whatever means worked for your character.  Maybe you sneak around and shoot arrows; maybe you just clear room after room with your war hammer.  But there was a challenge to it; a strategy to it.  And, most importantly, a sense of adventure to it. 

With ESO you're given the same mission...  but when you get to the ruins or cave or whatever, there are seventeen other people doing exactly the same mission - and at least three of them are ridiculously high leveled for the quest.  There is no sense of challenge because the enemies are dying before you can even get close enough to kill them.  There is no reason for stealth, or strategy, because it literally doesn't matter what you do.  You end up walking up to the thing you're supposed to get - next to five other people who are grabbing the same item (at least the game doesn't make you wait for it to respawn or something) and you go on to the next waypoint.  

They've completely eliminated the adventure that was Skyrim (or previous games) and turned almost the entire game into a series of "walk to this point and then this point, and then this one over there" which is just sad; because given the world that they've created, if it actually played like Skyrim that would be freaking awesome.  They've completely removed the immersion into your character; you aren't the hero of the world, you're one of countless heroes doing exactly the same things.

Voldenuit

Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:10 am

In between Overwatch and Rocksmith 2014, which make up 99% of my gaming time these days, I finally managed to squeeze in an hour or so of INSIDE. Amazing game, it's super creepy and spooky, with a very foreboding atmosphere and highly disquieting world. From the makers of LIMBO, which should tell you a lot about the game.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

All Con Kid
Gerbil

Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:31 am

@Voldenuit
Inside looks really dark. My monitor is a little problematic with displaying contrast properly. Is it sometimes tricky to see details in the game?

strangequark18
Gerbil

Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:43 am

cphite wrote:

They've completely eliminated the adventure that was Skyrim (or previous games) and turned almost the entire game into a series of "walk to this point and then this point, and then this one over there" which is just sad; because given the world that they've created, if it actually played like Skyrim that would be freaking awesome.  They've completely removed the immersion into your character; you aren't the hero of the world, you're one of countless heroes doing exactly the same things.

I understand where you're coming from, but for me an mmorpg can still be immersive as long as I feel like the players around me are on equal footing. For example, if I'm in a dungeon with a party and we're all around the same level then I still feel challenged and immersed while taking down the boss or whatever. But high level players crushing mobs before you can do anything would ruin it for me too.

Also, it's hard for me to feel like a hero in general if there are a thousand people on the server more epic than me. Guild Wars 2 tried to tackle this problem by making all of the content scalable (within 5 levels). It may have changed since then, but basically if you were max level and went to a starting zone with enemies of level 5, you would be scaled to level 10 while in that area. It helped. But even though those players were scaled down, they had great gear and abilities making them feel disparately powerful. Also they still looked super epic compared to me, with all their cosmetics. Ultimately my character felt in the shadow of many others and wasn't very immersive for me.

The only solution I've found to this is I really have to be part of the movement: leveling up around the same time as others so that even though I'm technically one of many heroes, I still feel very heroic in my own right. But of course in every mmo, the average player rises to max level at an absurd rate that I would have to put my life on hold to match. Oh well.

Voldenuit

Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:52 am

All Con Kid wrote:
@Voldenuit
Inside looks really dark. My monitor is a little problematic with displaying contrast properly. Is it sometimes tricky to see details in the game?

For the vast majority of the game, the details (such as they are, the art style is very clean and minimalistic) are quite clear. There are a few sections where you're dumped into very dim surroundings, but it's almost intended to make the interactable elements hard to find (like the dark room in Monkey Island 2).
There are some hidden details in the game that are deliberately hard to make out - cipher codes, hidden images, but they are not plot-critical.
Just finished the game, and I can say that the last third of the game will definitely freak some people out. I found the early and mid-game Kafka-esque scenario and environment to be more personally disquieting, myself. But I'm certainly left thinking long after I've finished playing. Will have to go back to unlock the secret ending.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

general_tux
Gerbil

Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:32 am

strangequark18 wrote:
cphite wrote:

I understand where you're coming from, but for me an mmorpg can still be immersive as long as I feel like the players around me are on equal footing. For example, if I'm in a dungeon with a party and we're all around the same level then I still feel challenged and immersed while taking down the boss or whatever. But high level players crushing mobs before you can do anything would ruin it for me too.

To be honest, I wish they had made Skyrim with co-op. My wife and I both ended up playing through Skyrim on separate computers at the same time. If we could have just done the same thing but in the same game world, that would have been awesome!
Main: Intel i7-5775C w/ Noctua NH-D14, single fan | Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW | GSkill DDR3-1866, 32GB | Corsair Pro 750W Gold
HTPC: AMD A10-7850K | ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ | GSkill DDR3-2400, 8GB | Silverstone SFX 450W

IAmGhostDog
Gerbil Elite

Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:25 am

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3 | XFX R9 390 | Win7 x64
HT Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll w/ Stanton 681EEE MKlll | Klipsch Promedia v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision