Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite

Re: What are you playing right now?

Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:00 am

Still playing Breath of the Wild. Definitely a fun and engaging game, but so far haven't been completely overcome by "best game ever" feelings that many/most reviewers slapped on it. I really appreciate how truly open and unrestrained the game is, but the combat isn't that fun (timing dodges and other defensive moves are really hard and not intuitive). The sense of discovery is definitely there though, and I give the game tons of credit for making me want to explore without putting a ton of icons on the map, or filling my quest log with fetch quests (though there are definitely a few).
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

Kretschmer
Gerbil XP

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:36 am

Finally beat FTL this week after picking it up on Steam sale; this is the best game I've played since Doom (2016). The game's simplicity and level of commitment have been perfect for me while recovering from a fractured knee in bed.

Also a lifesaver is the Steam streaming; I can stream games at 60FPS from my desktop to my dual core ultrabook in bed. While not every game works well, it's very cool tech!

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:20 pm

Mass Effect Andromeda... kind of reminds of me Fallout 3/4 in space.

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:28 pm

Kretschmer wrote:
Finally beat FTL this week after picking it up on Steam sale; this is the best game I've played since Doom (2016). The game's simplicity and level of commitment have been perfect for me while recovering from a fractured knee in bed.

Also a lifesaver is the Steam streaming; I can stream games at 60FPS from my desktop to my dual core ultrabook in bed. While not every game works well, it's very cool tech!

Have you tried just running it on the ultrabook? FTL ran just fine on my ASUS transformer that only has a Cherry Trail CPU with IGPU. Streaming is definitely best for turn based games, or games like FTL that you can pause.

I love FTL, but I've never been able to beat it, so good on you!
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:29 pm

leor wrote:
Mass Effect Andromeda... kind of reminds of me Fallout 3/4 in space.

I enjoyed my time with Andromeda. My best tip for the game is to mostly forget about the "additional tasks." They involve a lot of backtracking and running around and provide almost nothing worthwhile. Best missions in the game are the loyalty missions once you actually get to the real mission.

Have fun!

Kretschmer
Gerbil XP

Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:07 am

southrncomfortjm wrote:
Kretschmer wrote:

Have you tried just running it on the ultrabook? FTL ran just fine on my ASUS transformer that only has a Cherry Trail CPU with IGPU. Streaming is definitely best for turn based games, or games like FTL that you can pause.

I play FTL on the laptop and stream beefier titles from the desktop.

For FTL, I can't consistently beat it on normal. I've played a looooooooot since my injury, and some of those runs were strong enough to go the distance. To get full enjoyment I've been avoiding guides, but there is probably info out there on how to take down the flagship with a minimal amount of trouble.

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:13 am

This Is The Police

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:26 pm

Kretschmer wrote:
southrncomfortjm wrote:
Kretschmer wrote:

I play FTL on the laptop and stream beefier titles from the desktop.

For FTL, I can't consistently beat it on normal. I've played a looooooooot since my injury, and some of those runs were strong enough to go the distance. To get full enjoyment I've been avoiding guides, but there is probably info out there on how to take down the flagship with a minimal amount of trouble.

More power to you man. I couldn't even beat it on easy.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:31 pm

Just picked up Mass Effect Andromeda for PS4... so far so good. I've gotten as far as the second planet - Eos or something like that - and just finished turning on the alien thingy.

Impressions so far... graphically it's pretty cool, except for the facial animations which are rather poor in my opinion. But the ships, the planets, and the overall effects are well done.

The voice acting is kind of weak, in my opinion... a lot of the voices don't seem to match the characters at all, for example the Krogan in the Nexus, and a lot of them sound like they're being read off a sheet rather than actually acted out. Not really a game breaker, but noticeable, especially compared to the previous games in the series.

Combat is... I kinda wish I'd gone with the PC version. Mouse and keyboard would be preferable... I'm really not fond of shooters on console, but it's still playable. I'm not really far enough into it to tell how combat scales, but I'm hoping it does better than the previous games - one of the cons of the ME series has been (in my opinion) once you start getting leveled up and geared up, combat turns into a cakewalk.

Controls are okay, but the menus are more tedious than they need to be. Seem thrown together with no real overall plan.

The story is adequate for the game, but even early on it's full of amusing holes... are these folks really incapable of looking for a planet until the guy designated to look for planets shows up? Especially when they've assumed said guy is dead? So what was the plan, then? Just kinda hang out until starvation sets in?

And why are there boxes of Earth-compatible ammunition in the alien structures that presumably haven't been opened in hundreds of years by anyone, much less by the humans who've only been in the galaxy for just over a year?

Overall... maybe a little early to tell, but I feel like I should have gone with the PC version. But I saw it for $15 at Game Stop and, well, I'm cheap :)

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:28 pm

cphite wrote:
I wish I'd gone with the PC version. Mouse and keyboard would be preferable... I'm really not fond of shooters on console.
It looks prettier on the PC, too.

cphite wrote:
Are these folks really incapable of looking for a planet until the guy designated to look for planets shows up?
You should have already learned part of the story of the first two efforts to settle on Eos. What makes the pathfinders special, and you extra-special, is Sam.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Byhesus
Gerbil In Training

Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:13 pm

Path of Exile (waiting for new patch) and Diablo 3 (with new patch)
PoE Orbs and D3 items are available here https://odealo.com
Last edited by Byhesus on Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Redocbew

Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:52 am

The cricket game on Google's homepage. :P

Every time Google does something like this I think about the time it took to create this thing just so it can be on Google's homepage for a day and then never seen again.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Kretschmer
Gerbil XP

Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:44 am

Redocbew wrote:

Every time Google does something like this I think about the time it took to create this thing just so it can be on Google's homepage for a day and then never seen again.

And yet it will be played by more people for more hours than most indie games! :)

agnes8
Gerbil

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:49 am

Dark Souls 3

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:16 am

Kretschmer wrote:
Redocbew wrote:

And yet it will be played by more people for more hours than most indie games! :)

61 inning.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:43 am

I found a game similar to Hearts of Iron 2 (it is an extensive mod) called Darkest Hour.

This game is getting old now, but still runs in compatibility mode. I've never seen such a crazy historical sandbox where almost anything can happen and every game is somewhat different.

I found a mod where you can play from 1914 to 1991. You can have crazy games where Germany won WWI or Russia is still run by czars. I love the tech tree which is truly massive. Go from developing improved cavalry to stealth bombers.

You can have Russia be the world leader in computers in the 1930's. You can have Brazil ravage South America during the World Wars.

I've played really 3 versions of Hearts of Iron 2 - the baseline with expansions, Iron Cross, and now this one. There's a steep learning curve but I haven't really found any other game like this one. I did not care for HOI 3 and the HOI 4 reviews say it is dumbed down. So as long as compatibility mode works with old Windows games, HOI 2 versions for me!

Redocbew

Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:29 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
61 inning.

96!

And if you keep playing long enough for it to become night time, you can hear crickets in the background. :P

Ok, now I must do something productive.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:13 pm

cphite wrote:
Are these folks really incapable of looking for a planet until the guy designated to look for planets shows up?
You should have already learned part of the story of the first two efforts to settle on Eos. What makes the pathfinders special, and you extra-special, is Sam.

Spoilers below if anyone cares...

I know why the pathfinder is special... but in the context of the story, they think the pathfinders are dead. They've essentially given up hope of ever seeing any of the ark ships, and have said as much. Even if the two settlement attempts failed, the rational thing to do is to keep trying - not hang out on the Nexus waiting for the supplies to run out. Hell, even if they're not going to settle on Eos, they could still be sending ships back and force to collect food, water, minerals, and whatnot. FTL is a standard feature on every ship/shuttle they have, so it's not much of a journey, and there are more than enough people and weapons on the Nexus to make supply runs to and from Eos and Habitat 7.

They have the Tempest already crewed and supplied; even if they don't have the pathfinder, it should have already been hitting other systems and seeing what's around. Bear in mind, as far as any of them know, the only thing special about the pathfinder is his designation; they don't know the truth behind Ryder and SAM.

Nah... It's clear why they're doing it from a game-play perspective, but in terms of story it just doesn't make a lot of sense :D

Voldenuit

Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:41 pm

Hollow Knight, metroidvania with a lovely artstyle set in a half-creepy/half-adorable bug-like world. From all reports, the game is quite vast for a metroidvania (several ppl have mentioned play times in the 35+ hr range for complete runs). Still in the early stages of the game, have only unlocked the first of several movement/attack abilities, but really enjoying the mood, gameplay, level design and aesthetic.

Just recently preordered Sundered coming out Jul 28, so I seem to be on a bit of a metroidvania schtick lately. Fingers crossed.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:25 pm

cphite wrote:
They have the Tempest already crewed and supplied; even if they don't have the pathfinder, it should have already been hitting other systems and seeing what's around. Bear in mind, as far as any of them know, the only thing special about the pathfinder is his designation; they don't know the truth behind Ryder and SAM.

Nah... It's clear why they're doing it from a game-play perspective, but in terms of story it just doesn't make a lot of sense :D

They don't know what's special about Alec Ryder and his SAM (and whoever inherits his SAM), but they do know that every Pathfinder has a SAM linked from that Pathfinder's Ark, and without any Arks, the Nexus has no access to a SAM.

No SAM -> what's already a dangerous exploration situation is even more dangerous. And their biggest problem? They have no way to defend the Nexus, so if they lead anyone back to it, they're toast.

Not wanting to betray their position seemed to be the largest reason they didn't send out the Tempest, which again, they only have one of, don't have a captain for, and have no SAM to help guide.

I'd agree that it still doesn't make complete sense but the developers did appear to give the survivors on the Nexus reasons to stop reaching out.

agnes8
Gerbil

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:27 am

GTA 4

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:47 am

Just got Dawn of War III and my PC time has been spent with the campaign. So far I really like it. I liked the original a lot, but never kept up with the expansions. Skipped DoW2 because I just didn't have time for it at the time. Never got caught up with the story but it hasn't impacted my enjoyment of this one.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:56 am

I saw so many good reviews that I bough Darkest Dungeon. It's a very unique game. Enjoying so far.

Kickstarter is having some pretty good results from time to time. One wonders if these games would ever have seen the light of day without it.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:53 pm

Doing another playthrough of Dishonored 2, this time as Corvo. I've been doing a no-kill run so far but I think that's going to change when I enter

the Royal Conservatory shortly. The whole population of witches is evil so I don't find slaughtering them all morally objectionable.

It should be a lot easier than my first run since I won't have to keep going back to resupply my sleeper darts.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

superjawes

Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:08 pm

Sleep darts? You can knock them out with normal take downs. And if you want help on that mission:

doing the no-kill method knocks all of the remaining witches out.

I also did a recent (high chaos) run of Dishonored 2 for fun/recap for Death of the Outsider. Early impressions of DotO are good. Mana is gone, but your character does still have powers with their own flavor the same way that Emily's powers work a little different from Corvo's.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

liquid_mage
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:32 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
I saw so many good reviews that I bough Darkest Dungeon. It's a very unique game. Enjoying so far.

Kickstarter is having some pretty good results from time to time. One wonders if these games would ever have seen the light of day without it.

I enjoyed Darkest Dungeon and it kept me busy for a few weeks but after a bit I kind of just stopped playing it. It is unique but I hated playing a game where i'd start to get a character to the point of being useful/attached to them and then they would get deranged or whatever to the point you cant fix them it kind of bummed me out. But I paid 15 or so dollars and got a good 20-30 hours out of it so I got my money's worth.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:37 am

superjawes wrote:
Sleep darts? You can knock them out with normal take downs. And if you want help on that mission:

doing the no-kill method knocks all of the remaining witches out.

Oh, I know, but I would rather deal with baddies at range as I come across them. I'm nowhere near patient enough to make a ghost run and so far I haven't found the black bonecharm that makes me invisible to the gravehounds' sense of smell.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

basitali
Gerbil In Training

Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:54 am

cricket game 2017 :D :D

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:31 am

liquid_mage wrote:
I enjoyed Darkest Dungeon and it kept me busy for a few weeks but after a bit I kind of just stopped playing it. It is unique but I hated playing a game where i'd start to get a character to the point of being useful/attached to them and then they would get deranged or whatever to the point you cant fix them it kind of bummed me out. But I paid 15 or so dollars and got a good 20-30 hours out of it so I got my money's worth.

I agree, this bothers me as well. The RNG is just brutal.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:22 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
liquid_mage wrote:

I agree, this bothers me as well. The RNG is just brutal.

I like Darkest Dungeon but I haven't played it very much. It's basically an easier/slower-paced version of FTL... you're still going to lose, just as a later time and with more invested in the game. The ability to run more than one adventuring group at a time signals that it's *possible* to have a game continue after a bunch of losses, but no game I've played thus far has been recoverable.