Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

CAIN
Gerbil

Re: What are you playing right now?

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:58 pm

Skyrim.
600 hours gameplay, and this is my first time fighting for the douchebag Stormcloaks. I suspect this once will be enough. Morally corrupt, self-serving, and just plain obstinately stupid for not seeing that "united we fight, divided we fall" adage holds true for them. Weirdly enough, I despise the stormcloaks more for their behaviour like the couple of dbags harrassing that woman when you first enter their capital than I do the Imperials for trying to kill me at the start of the game. :D

joemiller
Gerbil In Training

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:24 am

PUBG, CS: GO, sometimes Dota 2

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:35 am

CAIN wrote:
Skyrim.
600 hours gameplay, and this is my first time fighting for the douchebag Stormcloaks. I suspect this once will be enough. Morally corrupt, self-serving, and just plain obstinately stupid for not seeing that "united we fight, divided we fall" adage holds true for them. Weirdly enough, I despise the stormcloaks more for their behaviour like the couple of dbags harrassing that woman when you first enter their capital than I do the Imperials for trying to kill me at the start of the game. :D

Ulfric is kind of a d-bag and the leadership is arguably racist... but the Imperials aren't a whole lot better. Even if we ignore the whole wanting to execute you despite you not even being on their list thing, they've got a lot to answer for. In addition to wanting to kill you, they also work with the Thalmor - a group arguably even more racist than the Stormcloaks - to kidnap and torture citizens; they've outlawed the primary religion of the populace and allow Thalmor patrols to enforce that ban with near impunity.

Honestly, I found myself really wanting a "crush them both" alternative for that entire story line... or at the very least, an option to kill the leader of whichever faction won.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:47 am

Right now in my continued quest to play things long after they're relevant... I'm about 25% of the way through Assassins Creed: Rogue

So far it's pretty cool... I actually really dig the story for this one. Not much of a spoiler since it's been out so long (and it basically says it on the back of the box) but basically you play an Assassin who betrays the guild and ends up working against them... The world is huge and fairly well fleshed out; though they do take a bit more liberties with the historical aspects. The naval game-play is a step up from AC3 in my opinion. Combat has been dumbed down a bit but is still fun.

Some of the quests are a bit repetitive but that's been a thing for the series since the beginning. Also, they could lose the Aspergo headquarters sequences entirely, as they add nothing to the game and just seem like filler.

RickyTick
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:55 am

My family and I are playing a card game called Hand and Foot. It uses 6 decks of playing cards and typically is a 4 person game with 2 two-person teams. Great family fun, and gets us away from our cell phones, TV's, and computers.
Corsair 450D | EVGA SuperNova G3 650W | Asus Z270 Prime-A | Intel i7-7700K | Cryorig H7 | MSI GTX1070 Gaming X 8G | 16gb GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3200 | Crucial MX300 M.2-2280 1TB | Corsair K70 Rapidfire | Logitech G502 | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:47 pm

I'm really into iRacing now. iRacing supports VR so I bought a Rift when it was on sale back in August. My amazing procrastination skills meant that I did not install it until last week.

I had been using my 38UC99-W and I was very happy. VR blows the 38UC99-W away. With VR I'm sitting in the car and it is absolutely incredible.

Unfortunately I'm nowhere near as fast in a Ford GT around Sebring as the professionals.

meaganaylmer
Gerbil In Training

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:17 am

NBA 2k18
call of duty
are my favourite

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:32 pm

MLB The Show 18 unlocked for preorders (which I preordered it so it could download ahead of release, I didn't know it unlocked early too) so I'll be RTTSing this weekend.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:39 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
MLB The Show 18 unlocked for preorders (which I preordered it so it could download ahead of release, I didn't know it unlocked early too) so I'll be RTTSing this weekend.

Got drafted in the 27th round by the Reds. Screw that noise, I'm going to college...to get picked in the 26th round by the Marlins. Fine, I'll play. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

MichaelJD
Gerbil

Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:06 pm

Playing Bubble Cany and Asphalt 8 every day.

I am totally addicted to these two brothers

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class

Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:51 am

Mostly been on FiveM.

(It's a 3rd party multiplayer mod for GTA V PC.)

https://fivem.net/

(It does require you to create a second clean,un-moded copy of your GTA V game install-so the Steam version of GTA V is easier to deal with..)

gmskking
Gerbil

Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:48 pm

FFXV: Royal Edition and Borderlands Pre-sequel on Xbox One X.
Main: Core i7 4790K @ 4.7GHz | Samsung 850 Evo | 16GB DDR3 | Antec P110 Luce | Windows 10
Other: Core i5 2500K | Toshiba TR200 240GB | 8GB DDR3 | Windows 10
Gaming: Xbox One X

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:05 pm

Battletech unlocked today. Gameplay is exactly what I had been hoping for all along. So good. Runs fine on low settings on my 2400G at 1080p. Runs even better on high settings on my Mac.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:11 pm

Playing Disgaea and unlocked Priere. I don't think I got her back in the day.

Will be trying out Battletech tonight.

Still playing Hearthstone for some masochistic reason.

Kretschmer
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:22 pm

liquid_mage wrote:
Hawkwing74 wrote:
I saw so many good reviews that I bough Darkest Dungeon. It's a very unique game. Enjoying so far.

Kickstarter is having some pretty good results from time to time. One wonders if these games would ever have seen the light of day without it.

I enjoyed Darkest Dungeon and it kept me busy for a few weeks but after a bit I kind of just stopped playing it. It is unique but I hated playing a game where i'd start to get a character to the point of being useful/attached to them and then they would get deranged or whatever to the point you cant fix them it kind of bummed me out. But I paid 15 or so dollars and got a good 20-30 hours out of it so I got my money's worth.

I played a lot of this during downtime on an international trip (flights, layovers, etc), but found the game more frustrating than enjoyable at medium difficulty. Your heroes are always degrading, RNG can turn your best hero into a mess with one event, and the content was sort of monotonous. I may or may not ever finish DD but still want to see how it ends. I guess I might want to look up a playthrough on Youtube and skip to the end, instead of slogging through to the end.

Kretschmer
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:23 pm

gmskking wrote:

BL:TPS is mediocre with the vanilla content and good with the Claptrap DLC missions.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:29 pm

Kretschmer wrote:
gmskking wrote:

BL:TPS is mediocre with the vanilla content and good with the Claptrap DLC missions.

+1

BL: 2 with all the DLC was so amazing it was hard to follow.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:05 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Playing Disgaea and unlocked Priere. I don't think I got her back in the day.

I didn't even know she was in the original Disgaea. The game is getting a PS4 remake later this year, and I'm looking forward to it. Etna's voice actress got swapped out when Disgaea 2 was localized, and she re-recorded all of Etna's lines for the PSP version of the original. So if you've never played it (or never played the PC port), you're in for a treat. I feel like Michelle Ruff did a much better job with Etna than whoever the original was. The story from the first Disgaea is my favorite of all of them (although I love Disgaea 3, too), but I'm not sure I can go back to the original combat system.

Whoa, that was a tangent. Speaking of Priere, I have La Pucelle on PS3 (PS2 classics release) and just really love that game. All the Nippon Ichi games are great.

Ricefields
Gerbil In Training

Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:09 am

I'm playing good old new Doom. It's really fun.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:22 am

I had time for just one skirmish in the new Battletech last night. The tactical play definitely reminded me of the tabletop game and the original personal computer versions from the 1980s.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Khali
Gerbil XP

Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:29 am

I got bored with my usual line up of games and went looking for something new/different. I spent around a month looking for a MMO that was acceptable to me and a few friends so we could all play together. We all got bored with Ark and decided Conan Exiles needs more work to make it worth spending much time playing. Ended up picking up Elder Scrolls Online. Pretty good game with an amazing sound track tacked onto it. My only real beef is all the stuff they locked up behind the micro transaction pay wall. Its mostly convenience type of items, DLC, and Cosmetic stuff.

Kretschmer
Gerbil XP

Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:35 am

Ricefields wrote:
I'm playing good old new Doom. It's really fun.

This is my best game of 2010-2020 so far. It's just pure, unadulterated fun. No levels, no gear, no unlocks...just FPS goodness. A lot of games these days try and trap you in their reward systems ("Okay, I need to level up 5 more times to unlock the next area." "Okay, I need to get some wins and raise my MMR."), but Doom is old school gaming.

Kretschmer
Gerbil XP

Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:43 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
There have been twelve seasons of Diablo 3 RoS. For the second time ever, I completed enough of the season journey to get the extra stash tab, and for the first time ever I completely cleared the season journey. I got my HoTA/IK Barbarian to GR level 82 and amassed a total of 568 paragon levels. Played on PC this time, but next time I might go back to PS4.

Those results pushed my non-seasonal paragon level from 807 to 856. Pretty successful season by my standards. Most of that was done over Thanksgiving and winter breaks.

I want to play Diablo 3 again, but the horrible inventory system pushes me away every time. The developers add carrots and inflate power by adding more items each season, but all of your characters share a common stash space. I find the stash available to be sufficient for one seasonal character, but sharing those tabs across one of every class create way too much inventory organizing overhead.

And then after every season my seasonal items are mailed to my non-seasonal mailbox, and I face the prospect of trying to jam all those items into an already overflowing stash. It's at that point I drop said seasonal character forever and walk away from the game for at least a year. This problem is exacerbated if you haven't unlocked EVERY seasonal stash tab since seasons became a thing.

Torchlight II fixed this problem many years ago by giving each character their own stash and then having a common stash for shared items. If Diablo 3 gave me two or three stash tabs per character and a smaller common stash I would be happier than a bug in a rug.

qmacpoint
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:52 am

PC: Overwatch
Xbox One: Sunset Overdrive
Switch: Splatoon 2
:D

Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP

Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:24 am

Two missions into Battletech last night with none of my lance destroyed and a single injury to one mechwarrior--for ME, that's great. I may even try co-op...So far it seems very polished and nicely designed--running it at 3440X1440 on 34" monitor and no issues yet.

EDIT: Added an 'l' in Battletech
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:31 am

I did the initial campaign in Battletech. Not sure if I can get my wife to play coop. We would need to upgrade her laptop.

Looks fun so far.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:37 am

Khali wrote:
I got bored with my usual line up of games and went looking for something new/different. I spent around a month looking for a MMO that was acceptable to me and a few friends so we could all play together. We all got bored with Ark and decided Conan Exiles needs more work to make it worth spending much time playing. Ended up picking up Elder Scrolls Online. Pretty good game with an amazing sound track tacked onto it. My only real beef is all the stuff they locked up behind the micro transaction pay wall. Its mostly convenience type of items, DLC, and Cosmetic stuff.

I was in the Alpha and Beta for TESO, and I really liked it. The problem was... I didn't really feel like another MMO after the massive random changes to STO and WOW, and COH had just been randomly killed.

Now and again I get the MMO itch, I've been considering playing Aion again since it was decently fun solo, although I'd never spend a dime on it because of NCSoft.

Kretschmer
Gerbil XP

Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:54 am

Guild Wars II is good for scratching that solo or play-with-friends MMO itch without fast forwarding a month to realize that it's 3PM on Sunday and you're still in your boxers due to deprioritization of anything that doesn't increment numbers. It's also the best leveling experience I've seen in any type of MMO game, as you're rewarded experience for quests, exploration, jumping puzzles, world encounters, etc. Very organic. It might also be FTP these days...

Just don't play dungeons or expect to have fun in traditional structured content.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:32 pm

Kretschmer wrote:
Guild Wars II is good for scratching that solo or play-with-friends MMO itch without fast forwarding a month to realize that it's 3PM on Sunday and you're still in your boxers due to deprioritization of anything that doesn't increment numbers. It's also the best leveling experience I've seen in any type of MMO game, as you're rewarded experience for quests, exploration, jumping puzzles, world encounters, etc. Very organic. It might also be FTP these days...

Just don't play dungeons or expect to have fun in traditional structured content.

I've heard a lot of good things about GW2, but IIRC you have to buy the box to play it, and I've giving money to NCSoft on the 5th of Never.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:45 pm

Guild Wars 2 has been free to play for a couple of years. Download the 64-bit game client here. If you play much, you will definitely want to shell out the $30 to get the paid version that includes the latest expansion. Of the items in the $55 deluxe version, the additional character slot and the Lily of the Elon permanent pass are worthwhile, but you can purchase them separately from the in-game gem store. Gems can be purchased with real-world money or with in-game currency.
https://buy.guildwars2.com
Last edited by JustAnEngineer on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2