Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Re: What are you playing right now?

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:23 am

I'm back into Rimworld yet again with a little Ark and DayZ on the side if friends are playing.

I call this shot, "Nudists should not hunt boomalope with incendiary launchers around elephants!"

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:40 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
The game can be slow, but the AI is not necessarily passive - there are a lot of possible AI trait combinations, and if you're near a fanatical, xenophobic species, you might have some issues. That being said, the game proceeds at a stately pace and can be paused at any time. You can speed up the passage of time, but I'd recommend against doing so until you're comfortable with the mechanics.

This game is absolutely phenomenal. I have not enjoyed a video game this much in quite a while, years probably.

I'm having a blast on my first game and now I see there are Star Trek and Star Wars mods which I can try. There's a "Fallen Empire" I discovered and I was reading about them online.

Thanks for posting about this game. A++ My wife is also happy because I uninstalled Hearthstone. The random nature of that game makes me mad sometimes.

anhbloginc
Gerbil

Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:50 am

The only game I'm playing at this time is Paladins.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:53 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Hawkwing74 wrote:
Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Slow games, passive AI are ok with me. I like winning and I don't have the time or mental energy to devote to being an expert of new games these days.

The game can be slow, but the AI is not necessarily passive - there are a lot of possible AI trait combinations, and if you're near a fanatical, xenophobic species, you might have some issues.  That being said, the game proceeds at a stately pace and can be paused at any time.  You can speed up the passage of time, but I'd recommend against doing so until you're comfortable with the mechanics.

I just tried this, and... sure, it's difficult, but oddly that's hardly the problem. War Goals and War-score are driving me up the wall. I guess because I generally play non-martial races I haven't run into this yet?

My race has a general freakout when I when I enable purging and all over again whenever I do it. Every time I get a significant advantage in a war the AI strategically declares Peace, and I need to re-start the war over and over again to prosecute it. If my goals have too high a war-score I can't even declare it... and even "extreme" bombing rarely kills anything, I guess I could just leave my main fleet to loiter over a planet for years in the hopes something dies, in a game that shows individual days passing.

Thinking about playing MOO2 again and dropping a lot of antimatter from high orbit, just because I can.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:00 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:

I just tried this, and... sure, it's difficult, but oddly that's hardly the problem. War Goals and War-score are driving me up the wall. I guess because I generally play non-martial races I haven't run into this yet?

My race has a general freakout when I when I enable purging and all over again whenever I do it. Every time I get a significant advantage in a war the AI strategically declares Peace, and I need to re-start the war over and over again to prosecute it. If my goals have too high a war-score I can't even declare it... and even "extreme" bombing rarely kills anything, I guess I could just leave my main fleet to loiter over a planet for years in the hopes something dies, in a game that shows individual days passing.

Thinking about playing MOO2 again and dropping a lot of antimatter from high orbit, just because I can.

I loaded the Star Trek New Horizons mod. I agree, war is kinda hard. I razed almost every space station the Gorns had as Romulans and I still messed some things up. Now the Gorns allied with the Klingons and I can't easily fight them again.

The AI likes to group up into alliances so you can't destroy them piecemeal.

Also, having a large fleet is a huge drain on energy if you go above naval limits. Other annoying thing is the random pirates they seeded all over the map as blockers. But still having a lot of fun. I went looking for the Dominion and Borg and haven't found them yet, though they are playable factions.

Jhutton
Gerbil In Training

Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:10 am

GTA 4
Microsoft flight sim
BeamNG

Khali
Gerbil XP

Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:43 am

Its been slow game wise around here. Been alternating between Star Trek Online and Fallout 4 the last week or so. Just killing time until I find something new to tackle. Been watching news about Mass Effect Andromeda. So far it looks promising but keep reminding myself about the way they flubbed ME 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:20 pm

Infamous: Second Son. It's a little older, but it is SO GOOD. A good story, exceptional voice acting, and outstanding action. Also working my way through the Legacy of the Void campaign on Brutal difficulty - I've already done that with WoL, HotS, and the pre-LotV campaign.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:17 pm

Well, my wife is not a gamer other than Windows solitaire when she's chatting on the phone and she never cared much for StarWars/Star Trek etc. However I did succeed in making my kids Star Wars fans and we've been playing Battlefront together a lot lately. It's much cheaper now and all the DLCs are lower priced too. My daughters leveled up quickly but I'm trailing behind. Online it can be frustrating with so many high level players but it does have some co-op play and private server options.
I remember watching the original Star Wars in 1977 at a drive-in theater (are there any left these days?) and like most people was blown away by the effects, action, and lore. Flying the X-wings, hearing the howling Tie fighters and taking down an AT-AT just brings back the nostalgic thrills for me.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:06 pm

If you like Star Wars and gaming, you should definitely play Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords. Single-player RPGs like these have no high-level griefers like those found in some MMOs.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:23 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
If you like Star Wars and gaming, you should definitely play Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords. Single-player RPGs like these have no high-level griefers like those found in some MMOs.

Thanks, my older daughter expressed an interest in Knights of the Old Republic. I liked several of the former LucasArts software titles like Jedi Knight-Dark Forces, Tie Fighter Special Edition etc.
These are still available on Steam but maybe too old to run smoothly on today's tech.
BTW, I'm a PE in Civil/Environmental Engineering
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class

Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:34 pm

Going to start in on Ghost Recon:Wildlands tomorrow afternoon.

(Just picked it up from Steam.)

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:38 pm

I'm in the middle of "Setting up an isolated WEP 802.11b network to connect old gaming hardware in order to dump ROMs over FTP while said hardware still has a ghost of life in it, being hampered by the habit of The World's Last Known 2GB microSD Card to corrupt data if you breathe in its general direction."

I.e., finishing the backup of my collection of DS and GBA games while I still have working hardware.

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:28 pm

Crypt of the Necrodancer - it's a retro 8-bit style rhythm dungeon crawler
http://necrodancer.com/

It's a blast to take off the headphones and crank up the speakers with the catchy soundtracks in each level
I like Danny Baranowsky's work in this and I enjoy Jesper Kyd's musical contributions to games like Borderlands and other titles.
Later, -G8tor

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:26 am

If you're a fan of Metroidvania games, give Hollow Knight a shot. Gameplay is fun, and I'm a big fan of the aesthetic.

It also looks like this one is destined for the Switch, too. It might also make it to XBOne and PS4, but this would be a nice addition to Nintendo's limited lineup.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Voldenuit

Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:43 am

Nier: Automata. It's a shooter, it's a brawler, it's an action-RPG, it's an open world game, it's a battle in virtual realities, it's a philosophical treatise on the nature of sentience.

Also recently played Duskers, a command-line drone exploration and survival roguelike with perma-death. Fun and tense.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:44 am

· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:04 am

Played Kingdom of Loathing again today for prob the first time since 2005 or so. Completely forgot about this one, and only remembered it when I got access to my ancient gmail account again, back from 2004 that I signed up with. 8)

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:24 am

Spanish Dragon Age Inquisition. Got it for $6 for PS4 on a sale. Missed it when it was new for whatever reason, but it's fun.

Starfalcon wrote:
Played Kingdom of Loathing again today for prob the first time since 2005 or so. Completely forgot about this one, and only remembered it when I got access to my ancient gmail account again, back from 2004 that I signed up with. 8)

Talk about a blast from the past! I haven't heard or thought about that game in a decade or more.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:29 pm

Yeah I was very suprised it was still up and running, and my character was exactly as I left it those many years ago....almost 10 plus years ago

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:36 am

End User wrote:
Slowly making my way through Mirror's Edge Catalyst.

Verdict?
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Voldenuit

Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:20 am

NieR: Automata

On my second playthrough. Unlocked all 5 main endings in the first playthrough and about a dozen of the joke endings. Sacrificed my save file to appease the gods. Taking my time to 100% the game this time, and there are some nice touches I'd missed the first time through.

I love this game so much. Critics like Jim Sterling weren't exaggerating when they said this game is historically significant, and that it's an important milestone in gaming, because the game marries a fusion of mechanics and storytelling that transcends its component parts, and leads the player to ask deep existential questions of themselves without ever coming right out and spelling it for them. All stamped with Yoko Taro's signature autership (and yes, weirdness. Very, very weirdness).

The game itself is ridiculously fun, with a fluid combat system that is the best that Platinum has ever done. It's very accessible, yet I'm still learning nuances 60 hrs later. The game world is charming, bleak, and, for lack of a better word, desolate. This is a world whose time has gone; it's a vision of the future both more and less bombastic than the typical post-apocalyptic wastelands of gaming. In a world where androids and alien robots wage an endless war, this is a world whose quiet places speak of the insignificance of the works of man. It reminds me of Hyper Light Drifter, of Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Jack Vance's Tales of Dying Earth, Gene Wolfe's Solar series, Nausicaa, and there's even one ending of the game that is very Arthur C. Clarke.

TLDR; NieR: Automata is a third-person open world action/rpg, brawler, platformer, shmup, bullet hell, twin-stick shooter sadness simulator. I'm glad I came, I'll stay a while.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:20 am

Just started World of Warships. Pretty fun so far. Being a WW1 and WW2 buff makes it extra enjoyable. Now to try to get my dad to try it.
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

liquid_mage
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:08 pm

Diablo 3 RoS Season 10 as a Witch Doctor Hard Core.

Skyrim Special Edition, man I wish I would have played this game 2-3 years ago. I'm about 15 hours in so far and it's so fun.

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:39 pm

liquid_mage wrote:

Skyrim Special Edition, man I wish I would have played this game 2-3 years ago. I'm about 15 hours in so far and it's so fun.

I received Skyrim as a Steam gift back in 2012 and it took me off and on 4 years to do all the DLC's, side quests and user developed adventures. It still is one of my favorite PC RPG's to revisit and just explore.
I also have the "Special Edition" version but have not played it much since my mods from the original version do not carry over. Can't go without my lamp light, extra bandoliers and Lord of the Rings weapon mods anymore :(
Later, -G8tor

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:25 pm

killa wrote:
Arma 3 all the way ;)

I was really excited to play Arma 3 back in the day. Especially with all the zombie apocalypse mods my friends played.

The AAAA price was a major problem, especially considering how finely aged the game even back then. The game plus DayZ was something like $80 combined. Nope.

OptimumSlinky
Gerbil

Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:14 pm

Titanfall 2 was 50% off over the weekend, so I threw Respawn some love and have had a blast. The campaign is short but sweet, with enough sense to leave you wanting more without overstaying its welcome, and the multiplayer is vicious. Not since the Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare have I been this impressed by a shooter.
AMD Ryzen 5 1500X; Asus ROG Strix B350F; 16GB DDR4; Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960; Asus Xonar DSX; Corair Force GT 480GB SSD; Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm; Dell UltraSharp 2415; Logitech G303; Logitech G710+; Logitech G430; Corsair Carbide 500R

Thin Man
Gerbil First Class

Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:52 pm

Gears of War 4 on my PC thru Xbox. So far so good. My only complaint is that you would think that a pair of 30mm cannons would be able to shoot through a packing crate and blast the bad guy...but...nooooooo, you have to wait till he pokes his head up first. So now I got blowed up. Never fear, I'll be Bock...
"If you take up a starving dog and feed it, it will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a man and a dog." Mark Twain

superjawes

Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:10 am

Been playing and replaying missions in Sniper Elite 4. I really love the details they put into that game, and the shooting/strategy of missions are really fun.

I also tried Dreadnaught yesterday, and I really liked it. It's still clearly in beta, but the core gameplay of flying capital ships is fun, and landing a plasma broadside is massively satisfying.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:36 am

After burning out on OverWatch, I'm back to playing... Minecraft. That game is a bigger tarbaby than most Bethesda titles.