Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: What are you playing right now?

Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:37 pm

Still going strong on World of Warships... just cant put that game down when you are a couple of friends playing it.

Mikael33
Gerbil First Class

Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:49 pm

Got bored of Star Wars The Old Republic and bought the WoW starter pack or whatever and Legion. I boosted a mage to 100 and got him to 110 and now I'm working on a Demon Hunter. I got WoW because Legion is supposed be a lot better for PvP  which is the only thing I did in SWTOR. I wish I knew mages kinda suck in PVP in WoW right now in PVP, while it's good they made gear in PVP nearly irrelevant, eliminating gearing mistakes like I would see in SWTOR the preset stats they have for mages gimps them badly in PVP, other classes easily out damage mages while being less squishy, so Mages right now in PVP are like glass cannons but the cannons are more like BB guns.
After I level up my Demon Hunter I'm going to research what classes are decent in PVP now before picking another class to play around with.
Oh and I do miss the class stories from SWTOR and the voice acting, SWTOR definitely has WoW beat for an easy to follow story and cinematic, basically the stuff that's more like a single player RPG set within a MMORPG.

Topinio
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:56 pm

Mikael33 wrote:
Got bored of Star Wars The Old Republic and bought the WoW starter pack or whatever and Legion. I boosted a mage to 100 and got him to 110 and now I'm working on a Demon Hunter.

Gah, am mad :wink: I've been in WoW since 7 months after launch and have no 110's yet.

Mikael33 wrote:
I got WoW because Legion is supposed be a lot better for PvP  which is the only thing I did in SWTOR.

I used to love WoW PVP, but it's sucked for a very long time now IMO, sod requiring premade/guildie PVP teams and let me go solo kick arse!
Desktop: 750W Snow Silent, X11SAT-F, E3-1270 v5, 32GB ECC, RX 5700 XT, 500GB P1 + 250GB BX100 + 250GB BX100 + 4TB 7E8, XL2730Z + L22e-20
HTPC: X-650, DH67GD, i5-2500K, 4GB, GT 1030, 250GB MX500 + 1.5TB ST1500DL003, KD-43XH9196 + KA220HQ
Laptop: MBP15,2

strangequark18
Gerbil

Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:41 am

Mikael33 wrote:
Got bored of Star Wars The Old Republic and bought the WoW starter pack or whatever and Legion. I boosted a mage to 100 and got him to 110 and now I'm working on a Demon Hunter. I got WoW because Legion is supposed be a lot better for PvP  which is the only thing I did in SWTOR. I wish I knew mages kinda suck in PVP in WoW right now in PVP, while it's good they made gear in PVP nearly irrelevant, eliminating gearing mistakes like I would see in SWTOR the preset stats they have for mages gimps them badly in PVP, other classes easily out damage mages while being less squishy, so Mages right now in PVP are like glass cannons but the cannons are more like BB guns.
After I level up my Demon Hunter I'm going to research what classes are decent in PVP now before picking another class to play around with.
Oh and I do miss the class stories from SWTOR and the voice acting, SWTOR definitely has WoW beat for an easy to follow story and cinematic, basically the stuff that's more like a single player RPG set within a MMORPG.

Mages are fine in competitive PvP (3v3 arenas): http://us.battle.net/wow/en/pvp/leaderboards/3v3
I would say it takes a lot more skill to be successful with a Mage than with a DH. You really have to utilize your range and CC effectively, but the ceiling is just as high.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:48 am

strangequark18 wrote:
cphite wrote:
Elder Scrolls Online, PS4

They've completely eliminated the adventure that was Skyrim (or previous games) and turned almost the entire game into a series of "walk to this point and then this point, and then this one over there" which is just sad; because given the world that they've created, if it actually played like Skyrim that would be freaking awesome.  They've completely removed the immersion into your character; you aren't the hero of the world, you're one of countless heroes doing exactly the same things.

I understand where you're coming from, but for me an mmorpg can still be immersive as long as I feel like the players around me are on equal footing. For example, if I'm in a dungeon with a party and we're all around the same level then I still feel challenged and immersed while taking down the boss or whatever. But high level players crushing mobs before you can do anything would ruin it for me too.

Also, it's hard for me to feel like a hero in general if there are a thousand people on the server more epic than me. Guild Wars 2 tried to tackle this problem by making all of the content scalable (within 5 levels). It may have changed since then, but basically if you were max level and went to a starting zone with enemies of level 5, you would be scaled to level 10 while in that area. It helped. But even though those players were scaled down, they had great gear and abilities making them feel disparately powerful. Also they still looked super epic compared to me, with all their cosmetics. Ultimately my character felt in the shadow of many others and wasn't very immersive for me.

The only solution I've found to this is I really have to be part of the movement: leveling up around the same time as others so that even though I'm technically one of many heroes, I still feel very heroic in my own right. But of course in every mmo, the average player rises to max level at an absurd rate that I would have to put my life on hold to match. Oh well.

Scaling would definitely help.  The game does scale the areas that are enforced solo quests, but the vast majority of the areas are not.  It's not that I mind playing with other people; the problem is that the areas are technically doable as a single player, and there are other people.  So an area that might be a fun challenge for a single player or even a small team, is basically so easy that there might as well not even be enemies to kill.  

The other thing for me is that I like a good story; and the game has a good story, they just kind of smother it with the way they've implemented multiplayer. 

Mikael33
Gerbil First Class

Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:08 pm

strangequark18 wrote:
Mikael33 wrote:

Mages are fine in competitive PvP (3v3 arenas): http://us.battle.net/wow/en/pvp/leaderboards/3v3
I would say it takes a lot more skill to be successful with a Mage than with a DH. You really have to utilize your range and CC effectively, but the ceiling is just as high.

I haven't done arenas yet so I was just saying my experience with mages in battlegrounds and the QQ in the mage forum on the battle.net site, while researching how to blow **** up with my mage.
I have become much better at avoiding death when 1 or 2 guys jumps on me compared to when I was leveling up, was fun using ice block, frost nova and still getting dead by one guy :lol:
Topinio wrote:
Mikael33 wrote:
Got bored of Star Wars The Old Republic and bought the WoW starter pack or whatever and Legion. I boosted a mage to 100 and got him to 110 and now I'm working on a Demon Hunter.

Gah, am mad :wink: I've been in WoW since 7 months after launch and have no 110's yet.

Mikael33 wrote:
I got WoW because Legion is supposed be a lot better for PvP  which is the only thing I did in SWTOR.

I used to love WoW PVP, but it's sucked for a very long time now IMO, sod requiring premade/guildie PVP teams and let me go solo kick arse!

Heh, I remember making fun of WoW for having the option to boost when I still played SWTOR.

strangequark18
Gerbil

Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:21 am

Mikael33 wrote:
I haven't done arenas yet so I was just saying my experience with mages in battlegrounds and the QQ in the mage forum on the battle.net site, while researching how to blow **** up with my mage.
I have become much better at avoiding death when 1 or 2 guys jumps on me compared to when I was leveling up, was fun using ice block, frost nova and still getting dead by one guy :lol:

2 things: 1) Yeah PvP isn't remotely balanced for battlegrounds. Classes with a lot of AoE potential are significantly stronger in those group-fight scenarios. Also, self heals and defensive CDs are important.  For example, arms warriors are arguably the strongest arena class right now, but in BGs if you don't have a pocket healer you'll just get destroyed by whatever ranged classes are standing around the edges of a fight. On the other hand feral druids and rogues will fare a little better by opening out of stealth, locking down their target, and using self heals and defensives for sustain. But warlocks, boomies, and hunters will always be especially strong in your standard arathi basin or whatever. 2) Battle.net forums are usually QQ forums filled by people who have a "grass is greener" mentality. Most of us in BGs probably perceive hunters as strong but if you go to their forums right now people will be complaining about getting trained by melee, getting CC'd too much, etc. A more accurate representation of the class at a very high level would probably be Arena Junkies (AJ) forums. But if you love BGs I would definitely recommend Demon Hunter lol. Crazy strong right now for that.

seankay
Gerbil First Class

Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:40 am

Well it is NBA 2k15

strangequark18
Gerbil

Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:02 am

seankay wrote:
Well it is NBA 2k15

Lol. Do you just play through the seasons with "my player" or whatever? How far have you gotten along? I never could get through a full season, takes forever.

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:24 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
FTL.  Fell off the wagon again.

Recently happened to me as well.

superjawes

Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:36 pm

I keep playing The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth/Afterbirth. I've had everything unlocked for some time, but I really like jumping back in.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

seankay
Gerbil First Class

Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:11 am

strangequark18 wrote:
seankay wrote:
Well it is NBA 2k15

Lol. Do you just play through the seasons with "my player" or whatever? How far have you gotten along? I never could get through a full season, takes forever.

Tried with My Player mode and you know couldn't go with it to the end so hahahaha I sometimes play it randomly now!

Voldenuit

Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:14 pm

Recently got hooked on Caves of Qud, a roguelike RPG set in a post-apocalyptic world with mutants, robots and monsters. Originally a free ASCII game (and still available for free on developer website), it's in Steam Early Access with a tileset and updated quests (original game has been in development for 10+ years).

Game is addictive and challenging, I'm dying a lot (perma-death is default, but toggle-able), but discovering many interesting interactions in the game mechanics and character abilities. Currently (as of this writing) playing an Esper Apostle build with mental mutations and 2 follower NPC meatshields.

It's unlikely to convert people who aren't already fans of the genre, but if you liked ADOM, Ultima Ratio Regum or older games like Wasteland, Ultima I-V, The Magic Candle, Phantasy series etc, worth a look.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:25 pm

Just downloaded the Lone Wolf mod pack for No Man's Sky. About 20 hours in and the game was finally starting to get stale, but these mods really do add a much better sense of discovery and wonder to the game. Plant life is much denser, trees are actually TREE size, animals are much more interesting and varied, color schemes are much more varied, space travel feels more real and daunting, I can crash my ship into a planet's surface if I want, and oh boy I don't have to hold a button down just to select something in the menus.

If you're like me and you do actually enjoy the game but would like a little more out of it, it's a good set of mods to have.
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

superjawes

Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:53 pm

I finally started playing Paladins (HiRez's take on hero shooters like Overwatch), and I should not be surprised at how much I like it. Smite pulled me into the MOBA genre because HiRez did so many things that just worked with my tastes, and Paladins is right up my alley, too. Starting at free to play is very nice, but $20 for the founders pack, which gets you every hero forever (just like Smite) is a darn good value.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:44 pm

I have a craving for the old Artillery game. I'm having a hard time finding the old 16-bit version. The modern retakes aren't filling that hole.

RickyTick
Gerbil Elite

Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:43 am

Currently playing COD4 Modern Warfare Multiplayer in anticipation of the Remastered version coming out soon. I hadn't played COD4 in several years and forgotten how much fun this game is. COD4 was the pinnacle of the COD series. imo It's been all downhill since.
Corsair 450D | EVGA SuperNova G3 650W | Asus Z270 Prime-A | Intel i7-7700K | Cryorig H7 | MSI GTX1070 Gaming X 8G | 16gb GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3200 | Crucial MX300 M.2-2280 1TB | Corsair K70 Rapidfire | Logitech G502 | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q

The Egg

Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:24 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I have a craving for the old Artillery game. I'm having a hard time finding the old 16-bit version. The modern retakes aren't filling that hole.

I used to play alot of Scorched Earth.  The author now offers the latest version as freeware.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:53 pm

The Egg wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

I used to play alot of Scorched Earth. The author now offers the latest version as freeware.

Excellent. Thanks! Plays pretty good in Dosbox too.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:57 pm

Trying to play Rainbow Six off of GOG, but it doesn't seem to like AMD cards on win10. Hmm.

Voldenuit

Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:43 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Trying to play Rainbow Six off of GOG, but it doesn't seem to like AMD cards on win10. Hmm.

I've heard that a recent update to both amd and nv drivers seem to have broken a lot of DX9 games.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:09 pm

Trying to figure out if it is worth throwing up a winxp VM and play in software mode.

Murtlap
Gerbil

Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:19 am

i like small games, like Angry birds, Clash of Clans

superjawes

Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:05 pm

Just finished DOOM (the new one). Holy Hell that game is fun.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:53 am

So, downloaded the "Special Edition" of Skyrim yesterday since it was free...

To be perfectly honest, I haven't been impressed so far by it.  Yeah, it does look nicer; but it runs noticeably slower.  Granted, my machine could probably use a card upgrade - I'm running a GTX 645 currently - and maybe when I upgrade my opinion will change.  

The colors seem brighter, and the water effects are nice.  Faces seem a bit more natural.  There have been obvious improvements with lighting, shading, and shadows.

But overall, it really doesn't look that much better than the original game with the hi-res mod.  And somehow, the sound quality seems somehow less.

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:26 am

Been revisiting The Division now that 1.4 is out. The game is definitely more balanced and much more playable, although a mission on challenging with a group of four is still full of bullet sponges, and now you've got teams of six shotgunners bum-rushing you and they do not stop until you're dead. That can get pretty messy. BUT with a team of 229's where each person has their own role in the team and a build optimized for that role it's certainly doable.

However, I've been avoiding challenging dailies and just sticking to the hard ones and non-high risk HVT missions. Didn't take long before I had four of every gear set I was interested in.

I also grabbed Titanfall 2 off of GMG for $48.99. Definitely worth picking up if you enjoyed the first one but felt it could have used more content. The single player campaign is very well done.
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

strangequark18
Gerbil

Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:26 pm

cphite wrote:
But overall, it really doesn't look that much better than the original game with the hi-res mod.  And somehow, the sound quality seems somehow less.

Apparently that is the case - the sound quality is reduced for some odd reason.

LostCat

Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:01 am

Titanfall 2 my brothas!

...at least, I will be when it finally downloads.  YES.
Meow.

ZappaFan
Gerbil

Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:01 am

Just finished playing Doom, that was a lot of run. About 8 hrs into Witcher 3. Quite the learning curve looks like but very impressive, I can see really getting hooked on this - in fact that's already happening. 
"Eschew Obfuscation"

Noinoi
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:16 am

Add me as another one that's playing Skyrim Special Edition. Kind of feels weird playing an old game from scratch... and getting achievements again.

Still plays like Skyrim as I knew it (I mod very lightly)
[email protected] | Patriot 2x16GB | Asus GTX 970 | Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi | Intel 660p 512GB + Kingston Fury 240GB + 2x4TB WD HDDs | Win 10