Moderator: Hoser

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: What are you playing right now?

Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:44 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
Acidicheartburn wrote:
TurtlePerson2 wrote:
I've been playing Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something about this game that makes it nowhere near as good as Human Revolution. I'm about 5-10 hours in and seriously considering abandoning it. Did anyone play the whole way through this one? Is it worth sticking with it?

I kind of wonder if part of the problem is that I'm playing it on XBox instead of PC, which I played Human Revolution. The XBox version doesn't keep a high enough frame rate and I feel kind of nauseous after playing it for a while.

I had a similar experience, except I played Human Revolution on the Xbox and Mankind Divided on the PC. I loved HR. Tried Mankind Divided, played for about 13 hours and just forgot about it. Something about it just doesn't draw me in like the prior game. I plan on picking it back up and finishing it eventually maybe. It's not a bad game by any means, but it didn't really hook me.

It's interesting to me how a sequel can look and feel just like the original without retaining any of the original's "soul." I think that the story of HR was really compelling and MD just feels boring in comparison. On top of that, I remember the levels being a lot interesting in HR.

A while back, I read the blog of the guy who made Dust2 (Counterstrike's most popular map). I realized that bad level design and great level design look almost exactly the same, but the difference is felt almost immediately. I think that this is true of MD, it looks like something that I should like, but the gameplay is just stale in comparison.

I enjoyed both games, but I think I know what you mean... Human Revolution had a much better story, and really kinda pulled me into the world; whereas Mankind Divided just seems like the story is a way to string the levels together.

Oddly enough, these two games remind me a lot of the original Deus Ex and the first sequel... the original had a great story and a wonderfully (especially for the time) detailed world that really drew me in... and the sequel was like someone said "Hey, let's throw together a shooter based on that world!" With HR it was like they started from scratch and really tried to live up to the original; and then with MD it was like someone said "Hey, let's throw together another shooter based on that world!"

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:54 pm

cphite wrote:
TurtlePerson2 wrote:
Acidicheartburn wrote:
I had a similar experience, except I played Human Revolution on the Xbox and Mankind Divided on the PC. I loved HR. Tried Mankind Divided, played for about 13 hours and just forgot about it. Something about it just doesn't draw me in like the prior game. I plan on picking it back up and finishing it eventually maybe. It's not a bad game by any means, but it didn't really hook me.

It's interesting to me how a sequel can look and feel just like the original without retaining any of the original's "soul." I think that the story of HR was really compelling and MD just feels boring in comparison. On top of that, I remember the levels being a lot interesting in HR.

A while back, I read the blog of the guy who made Dust2 (Counterstrike's most popular map). I realized that bad level design and great level design look almost exactly the same, but the difference is felt almost immediately. I think that this is true of MD, it looks like something that I should like, but the gameplay is just stale in comparison.

I enjoyed both games, but I think I know what you mean... Human Revolution had a much better story, and really kinda pulled me into the world; whereas Mankind Divided just seems like the story is a way to string the levels together.

Oddly enough, these two games remind me a lot of the original Deus Ex and the first sequel... the original had a great story and a wonderfully (especially for the time) detailed world that really drew me in... and the sequel was like someone said "Hey, let's throw together a shooter based on that world!" With HR it was like they started from scratch and really tried to live up to the original; and then with MD it was like someone said "Hey, let's throw together another shooter based on that world!"

I bought DE:IW and tried to start it twice, but both times I just couldn't get in to it. It didn't help that I was playing it several years after it had come out and it was looking really dated. Still, I played the original DE in the late 2000s and it was still enjoyable even with as dated as it was. Truth be told, Deus Ex probably looked and felt dated when it was released in 2000.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

Acidicheartburn
Gerbil First Class

Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:24 pm

Yeah, the original was definitely dated looking even for it's time. Considering that Halo: Combat Evolved came out a year later and looked an entire generation newer on an Xbox no less, it was certainly lacking.

Compare these two and remember there was a year separating these two games:

The start of the 2000's was certainly a rapidly evolving time for graphics but that's still a HUGE jump.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:25 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
cphite wrote:
TurtlePerson2 wrote:

I bought DE:IW and tried to start it twice, but both times I just couldn't get in to it. It didn't help that I was playing it several years after it had come out and it was looking really dated. Still, I played the original DE in the late 2000s and it was still enjoyable even with as dated as it was. Truth be told, Deus Ex probably looked and felt dated when it was released in 2000.

I remember IW being one of the first really bad examples of a game being dumbed down to the point where it actually hurt the game... for example, it had one generic ammo type - more powerful guns just used more ammo. And it really was just... boring somehow. I'm one of those weird folks who keeps games forever and can replay them over and over... I just replayed the original Neverwinter Nights to give you an example :D

DE:IW is one I remember selling just about the same day I finished it.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:44 am

Finishing up Witcher 3's main questline, then I'll start on the DLCs.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:53 am

bthylafh wrote:
Finishing up Witcher 3's main questline, then I'll start on the DLCs.

luckkkkkkkky

Hearts of Stone is good, but Blood and Wine is truly great. Toussaint is gorgeous.

i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:55 am

Speaking of poor sequels, I noticed that the developers of dungeon defenders 2 re organized as an employee owned studio, for whatever reason, and are running a Kickstarter for a dungeon defenders successor. I'm hoping they get it right this time.

The first games simple charm and addictive gear farming made it a blast. Somehow the sequel lost all of the charm and fun, but these developers seen to be aware of that and intend to fix it.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:29 am

New Sega Genesis games in 2018? Hell yeah. I bought the Steam version of Tanglewood and put the BIN file on my Mega Everdrive X5. Plays great in my Genesis, and it's super chill exploration. Not super-challenging, but fun nonetheless. If you don't have a Genesis or Mega Drive, you can play it with the bundled emulator with your Steam purchase or put the ROM in any emulator, including a Raspberry Pi setup on your TV.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:18 am

After a long games drought (Steam says 21 days between logins), picked up Baba Is You last night.

Great game, but you gotta brain for it.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:20 am

I bought Two Point Hospital this morning because it was 1/3 off on Steam, but I won't have time to play it today.
i7-9700K, H100i v2, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:13 am

Just finished Assassins Creed:Origins last night. All in all really enjoyed it... the visuals are amazing.

One weird thing - and I am wondering if this was by design or a bug, so am throwing it out here to see if anyone else experienced the same thing... spoiler just in case:

It started with the quest where Aya has to alter the flame on the top of the lighthouse - it's after you've taken Cleopatra to meet Caesar. I got her up to the top, killed the mini-boss guarding it, and got her to the lantern itself. But I couldn't get her to interact with the lantern. Tried walking away and re-approaching a few times, nothing worked... suddenly the screen goes into loading mode, and I've got Biyak again, in the middle of a battle. Start killing Romans and then suddenly another loading screen, and Biyak is fighting an elephant. Kill the elephant, loading screen, and I am fighting Septimus. I defeat him and Caesar intervenes before I can confirm the kill. Then it goes into the cutscene where Biyak and Aya are told they're no longer welcome in the palace.

After that, the game seems to continue as normal -- but the whole series of events above seemed really, really weird. It's like it was skipping entire sequences or something.