Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite

Re: What are you playing right now?

Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:51 am

tanker27 wrote:
I would LOVE to be playing Red Dead Redemption II on PC but no can do. TWO whole days and trying every trick posted on Rockstars' support and forum pages and even going to Reddit, I cannot get the damn thing to run. And yes my PC exceeds the minimum specs. :evil:

Thank God I haven't played a PC game in ages. This is precisely why I rarely turn my gaming PC on these days. On my Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, games "just work" like they are supposed to. Guess Microsoft still hasn't lifted their Windows OS's gaming reputation up from "**** as hell". Their insider newsletter once asked for suggestions on gaming through a survey. I told them that they need to have a dedicated gaming hypervisor on which games "just run" without any stupid dependency/compatibility issues. Guess they never read that OR just don't care.

Anyone tried SteamOS? Does it "just work" without any issues?

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:52 am

Uggg... It isn't a Microsoft issue and its been a long time since Microsoft was an issue. So stop with that nonsense. This is a Rockstar issue and their half-assed implementation.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite

Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:53 am

You didn't say what the error was that is preventing the game from running.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:16 pm

SUCCCESS!

I built my own custom system.xml and got RDR2 running. Running beautifully at 2560 x 1440 at ~75 fps on a 1080. It dips at times to 60 but doable. but there still are bugs, like the hand cursor will not go away and others. but its running. Still no hard solutions from Rockstar. They issued two small patches to their launcher but they didn't fix my issues.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite

Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:50 pm

tanker27 wrote:
SUCCCESS!

I built my own custom system.xml and got RDR2 running. Running beautifully at 2560 x 1440 at ~75 fps on a 1080. It dips at times to 60 but doable. but there still are bugs, like the hand cursor will not go away and others. but its running. Still no hard solutions from Rockstar. They issued two small patches to their launcher but they didn't fix my issues.

From your experience making the custom file, what do you reckon is the main issue preventing the game from running?

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:34 am

Rockstar's own launcher and how it hands off to Epic's launcher. So what gave me the idea was that there is an old mod for GTA4 that essentially bypasses the Rockstar Launcher to launch the game, people were saying it works for RDR2 too. I essentially did that with my custom system.xml without using the mod. Also a few other things like forcing API_DirectX12 and a few other graphic settings; VSYNC, TAA, OCCLUSION, etc.

Its running but at times I do crash and there are still bugs like the hand cursor being persistent. But I can play.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:54 pm

Thanks for letting us know it's a launcher issue, Tanker.

Good to hear that the Epic store is still a trash fire. I'll wait for Steam, although I imagine that if/when I get RDR2 I'll do this whether it helps or not so to bypass the Rock* launcher.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:15 pm

I actually wouldn't call the Epic store trash. I used it for a few games now and it does work as a generic launcher if publishers let it. The problem arises when publishers force their own launchers to launch a game. Then you have the scenario of a launcher launching another launcher to launch a game. See how convoluted and asinine that is.

In my mind I would just have everything on Steam, Blizzard launcher, and GoG. But that's just me.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite

Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:27 pm

Very nice. Great sleuthing.