Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Disney Infinity

Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:56 am

So I am thinking about starting to collect these. My son is 3 1/2 right now and he is starting to get interested into superheros. I also know that some of the characters released are limited time offers like the Hulk with the new 2.0 release.

So I have a few questions:

Does anyone have first hand knowledge with how DI works? At what age does it become Age appropriate?
Collecting these what platform should I get? XBox One or PS4?
Even if my son doesn't 'like' them is it worth it collecting just to offload later?
Does DI seem to have longevity to it? Will I lose the ability to play in like another 3 to 5 years?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Disney Infinity

Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:06 am

Disney Infinity is basically just Disney's attempt to snag the Skylanders crowd, and that game is still going strong after 4 years, if my math is correct. Although I am not sure how many Skylanders continue to work with newer games (it's probably an easy check, though).

On the system front, don't worry about it. The pieces themselves are agnostic, and I would expect any internally saved experience data transfers to other platforms. Just pick the system you have or want.

If you want to sell, Iyou might get a decent payback price at a trading card store if you can't sell to a friend.

Lastly, I think Disney Infinity will likely have a lot more longevity than Skylanders. Even if they are more expensive, Disney can tap into existing properties--including Marvel--instead of having to create new characters every single time (and every time there is a new movie you get new figures).
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:28 am

superjawes wrote:
Lastly, I think Disney Infinity will likely have a lot more longevity than Skylanders. Even if they are more expensive, Disney can tap into existing properties--including Marvel--instead of having to create new characters every single time (and every time there is a new movie you get new figures).

And I am thinking forward with the imminent release of Star Wars.....that they too will become DI offerings.

I just worry that I would be system locked if my son suddenly prefers the other system that I bought for. (not likely and I have owned all three in the past)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:09 am

I totally forgot about Star Wars...that should also appear when they need a big content drop.

Check out Infinity's website. That might tell you if information is stored on the figures. Worst case is that you will have to start over if your son wants to play on something else. The figures will not become unusable, though.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:21 am

BAH, the DI FAQ doesn't answer much. :-? Anyone out there played this?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Dr. Evil
Gerbil

Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:50 am

I have Infinity as well as all of the Skylanders games, as my daughter and I enjoy playing video games together. Since everyone tends to assume that Infinity is "Disney's Skylanders rip-off" I'll comment on both.

The concept of the Skylanders games doesn't change much from game to game, but that's fine because it's a fun concept that is well-executed. The individual levels will probably each take you an hour or more to complete the first time through, and there's plenty of replay value in looking for hidden collectibles and even leveling characters. They basically add a minor tweak with each new game:

Skylanders: Giants - Skylanders with larger figures that can smash barriers in the game that regular figures can't
Skylanders: Swap Force - Skylanders with figures that can be pulled apart and their tops and bottoms combined into new "characters."
Skylanders: Trap Team (not out yet) - Skylanders with "traps" (physical toys like the characters but a different shape) that can be used to "capture" a villain in the game so you can play as that villain.

Disney Infinity is... not Skylanders. The similarity frankly begins and ends with the fact that both of them have a USB dock that reads RFID chips in the toys. The Disney game (based on what I've seen, we've played it some but not a HUGE amount) has two game modes: A series of "games" that are each based on a particular Disney "world" (i.e. Cars, Monsters University, etc.) and an open-world game called the Toy Box.

The Toy Box could loosely be compared to Minecraft with Disney stuff. As you play the other games you unlock models for characters, vehicles, buildings, etc. that can be thrown together however you like in the Toy Box. You can then run around in the world you've created.

As far as the other series of games go, I've played several of them. They're similar to a LOT of other games in that they have multiple "levels" that you can move between, various types of collectibles, a somewhat open-world approach to missions ala an Elder Scrolls game, etc. But they're like miniature versions of those games in that they're not as long as a standalone game. That's offset somewhat by the fact that there are a number of these games built into Infinity, but keep in mind that these "large mini-games" (for lack of a better term) are unlocked via physical game pieces and only one is included with the game, so they have the same business model as DLC.

The other thing is that (IMHO) they're... not very good. Don't get me wrong, they're OK, and kids might have fun playing them, but the plotlines, the missions, heck even the controls at times are not as good as a top-quality title like Skylanders or a first-party Nintendo game for example. After getting somewhat bored with it, my daughter and I gave it a second try recently by trying out the Cars "game." I played it for an hour or so but eventually grew frustrated by poor driving controls. Considering that driving controls are the core movement mechanic in that game (because you're a CAR) that's kind of a big deal.

I will say that some of the games are better than others. The "Incredibles" one was notably better than the others I played. But since you have to pay for them, it's probably best to do your research before purchasing a set that includes a new "world game" just like you would read reviews before shelling out money on a standalone title.

If you think you'd enjoy the open world stuff then you could perhaps start with the starter set alone and try it out. But if I was a betting man I think you'd have more fun with Skylanders. :wink:

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:19 pm

Thanks Dr.Evil, my biggest question is: Are the version 1 games/characters obsolete with the impending release of 2.0? Can I start collecting now and when 3.0 drops still be able to play 1.0/2.0 games and characters? Also once you purchase a character is it locked to your account so you can go back to it? (even if you dont have the character toy itself?)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:23 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Thanks Dr.Evil, my biggest question is: Are the version 1 games/characters obsolete with the impending release of 2.0? Can I start collecting now and when 3.0 drops still be able to play 1.0/2.0 games and characters? Also once you purchase a character is it locked to your account so you can go back to it? (even if you dont have the character toy itself?)
My guess is that they'll behave the same way that the Skylanders do: old Skylanders figures will work on the new Skylanders game, but the new Skylander figures won't work on the old game.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:36 pm

Dizik wrote:
My guess is that they'll behave the same way that the Skylanders do: old Skylanders figures will work on the new Skylanders game, but the new Skylander figures won't work on the old game.

And I am ok with that, i'd just like some sort of confirmation.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')