Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Recommendations for HOTAS sticks for 2 flight sims

Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:49 pm

Damn forum ate my post. Let's try this again:

I bought a logitech extreme 3d pro joystick, and it works GREAT in DOSBox. Tie Fighter, Strike Commander, etc... all work wonderfully. Even Ace Combat Assault Horizon (terrible game, i know) works well with it, other than the throttle slider is reversed.

Anyway, I bought DCS A-10C and KA-50 Black Shark 2, and they really need a HOTAS setup. I mean, check out the recommended mapping to get my logitech to work with it. What a massive PITA! Buttons that do one thing are also used as modifiers as others. Good luck keeping that straight during a firefight!

Anyway, I'd ADORE to have a Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, but $460 for something I'd use with 2 games is just too expensive (unless I win the lottery, or that best buy shopping spree *fingers crossed*) .

I've found two by Saitek, the X55 Pro Rhino for $200, and the X52 Pro HOTAS for $180. What gives me pause about those, is doesn't Mad Catz own, or manufacture them for Saitek? I've had nothing but problems with Mad Catz console controllers in the past (Dreamcast and PS2 controller each broke within one week).

Does anybody have experience with these? any recommendations? I tried looking for the Thrustmaster Cougar, but I can only find those on Ebay, and folks are trying to charge MORE than a brand new warthog HOTAS! No thanks...