Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Asus Zenbook UX305 and the new Macbook

Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:20 am

With all this talk about Apples new Macbook, why are people ignoring the Asus Zenbook UX305?

From what I gather the Zenbook is
-Thinner http://imgur.com/gallery/sDHnexg
-Same battery life
-4k Display option
-Better OS
-More ports
-Various storage options (But who's not going to just go for the 512GB SSD anyway?)
-About half the price

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ZENBOOK_UX305/Features/

Looking over these 2 laptops... why would anyone go for a Macbook? (With the exception of those who can't seem to get out of the RDF)

EDIT: Looks like Lenovo joined the fight http://i.imgur.com/4YUFvO3.png
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Asus Zenbook UX305 and the new Macbook

Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:26 am

your bias is showing.
better OS

that's why. because people buying this laptop aren't buying it because they love the hardware as much as they love the OS. also, DAT TRACKPAD.

also, i'd never buy a 512gb SSD unless it was SUPER OMG CHEAP, which they never are. I'd get 128ish and use microsd for the rest.

localhostrulez
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:25 pm

The ASUS looks decent, but to be honest, I'm not interested in any of these. I think all of this is being taken to an extreme. Come on, thin and light is nice, but to the point where we're flat out removing functionality left and right? I guess the ASUS is better, but even as a student who will (once moved off campus) be carrying a laptop back and forth, I'd still rather have a fatter laptop with more ports. At least most current business laptops still have plenty of upgradeability. Ie. HP 640g1's and 800g1's are just as easy to upgrade as my 6530b (same thing but several generations back). If only they had more battery life. To be entirely honest, if anyone in the family needs a new laptop any time soon, I probably will recommend one of the current Probooks (600's, not 400's/4000's), or similar from other manufacturers (not Lenovo/superfish distributor on some models). And I wouldn't be surprised if they'd be happy with it - sensible design and quality build, and generally free of design fads.

And to think that simply wanting a good 'ol RJ45 port could be considered old school...

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:35 pm

Come on, thin and light is nice, but to the point where we're flat out removing functionality left and right?

Why not have the best of both? The UX305 is thin, light, fanless, yet still has a power jack, 3 USB 3.0 ports, SD slot, micro-HDMI, and a universal audio jack. That's about as many ports as I've ever used concurrently on a laptop, and you can always add Bluetooth HID accessories and avoid filling one of the USB ports with a dongle. Throw a micro-HDMI breakout cable and gender changers into your bag and you can connect to pretty much anything.

(Un)fortunately my 1810TZ soldiers on, but if it died tomorrow, I would be looking into one of the Zenbook models.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

morphine
TR Staff

Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:55 pm

In this past couple years, with average laptop PC quality continuing to be terrible, I've defended the Macbook Airs and Pros as very-expensive (here in Europe anyway) but quality machines. I regularly tell people around here to not touch any laptop under 800€, and yet they go out and buy a feces-y 400€ lasts-for-6-months piece of crap.

However, the new Macbook truly has me stumped. I appreciate the new trackpad and the fact that Apple is being the first manufacturer to mass-market Type C ports, but I don't see the place for the "reinvented" ( :roll: ) Macbook with a single port for everything, even against their current line-up. Air is cheaper and faster, and the Pro is... better, just not as thin.

As for the UX305, in paper it looks great. If the quality holds up under testing in all the angles (screen, touchpad, heat, battery life, etc), it's another matter entirely - though I hope it's as good as they say.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

End User

Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:59 pm

Philldoe wrote:
With all this talk about Apples new Macbook, why are people ignoring the Asus Zenbook UX305?

From what I gather the Zenbook is
-Thinner http://imgur.com/gallery/sDHnexg
-Same battery life
-4k Display option
-Better OS
-More ports
-Various storage options (But who's not going to just go for the 512GB SSD anyway?)
-About half the price

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ZENBOOK_UX305/Features/

Looking over these 2 laptops... why would anyone go for a Macbook? (With the exception of those who can't seem to get out of the RDF)

Why the MacBook? I can only speak for myself but the main draw (as pointed out by SSK of all people) is the OS and the trackpad.

I have a current gen 15" MacBook Pro at work and a 2012 MacBook Air at home. My port usage varies greatly between the two laptops. I definitely make use of the ports on the MBP but the MBA is always using Wi-Fi (no ethernet or USB) so the lack of ports is not a problem for me at home (all my data is in the cloud or on network storage). Once we move to 802.11AC at the office I think ethernet will become a thing of the past. At work the data on my external drives really should be moved to network storage so my port usage on the MBP will diminish over time.

Core M is the only thing that is causing me to pause on replacing my MBA with the new MacBook. I can't find benchmarks for a 1.3 GHz Core M. It is going to be a very pricey roll of the dice if I break down and order one with a 1.3 Core M on the 10th.

sschaem
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:36 pm

I'm in the market and here is my take:

- The zenbook x305 uses a 800mhz core-M, the lowest end macbook model is 1.1ghz

Thats almost a 50% performance difference.
And if you look at any laptop, sometime even a 10% performance upgrade adds hundreds to the price.

- The macbook is smaller and lighter by about 30%

- Comes with a LED backlit keyboard

- equiped with a 16:10 1440p screen VS 16:9 1080, both screen are almost exactly the same height.

- The keyboard/ trackpad / camera is supposedly superior ... But thats just an assumption from the data

- It can run OSX and all its software suit (And I assume dual boot windows8 / 10 for an extra $100)

I much prefer the x305 as a value, but the 800mhz CPU is giving me pause. I would gladly pay $200 more for the 1.2ghz core m (also rated at 4.5w)

Thats why I'm now looking at the XPS13 2015 .. but they are $$$ and it uses active cooling (I dont like fan in laptops at all).
The 4GB / 128GB model start at $900 !! To get 8GB, 256GB SSD and you have a price matching the macbook

So my choice

1) A X305 with a 1.2ghz core-m
2) The XPS13 i5 with 8GB for $900
3) .. no idea

morphine
TR Staff

Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:45 pm

sschaem wrote:
and it uses active cooling (I dont like fan in laptops at all).

Keep in mind that I've read many stores about Airs (and probably other ultrabooks) often having overheating problems. So an active fan that stays quiet most of the time can be a bonus. I have no idea how good or bad the fan is in the XPS though.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:35 pm

It's interesting how much emphasis some people put (or don't put) on certain features vs others; it makes you realize how there's no "best" design for everybody (and pity the designers a little who have to find the compromise that makes the most people happy or angers the fewest). The Ars review of the XPS 13 made much of how poor the webcam on it is -- calling that "an essential feature of any computer" -- which is weird to me because the only time I've used the webcam on a laptop was when I first got it and checked to see if it worked. Actually now that I think about it my main desktop monitor has a webcam built in and I don't think I've ever used that over the years either.

The state of PC touchpads could be improved, no doubt, but since I almost always use a mouse for any "serious" work it really doesn't bother me; in the old days I used to disable the trackpad completely because "palm detection" wasn't yet a thing. The feel of the keyboard is a lot more important to me, and kept me on Thinkpads for a long time even when virtually every other feature on competing models was more desirable. Even though I hated the trackpoint nubbin and never got used to it.

Not exactly in-depth, but even Forbes considers others to be superior alternatives to the new Mac.
Edit: Added link to Ars
Last edited by UberGerbil on Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

End User

Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:52 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
Not exactly in-depth, but even Forbes considers others to be superior alternatives to the new Mac.

I really like the new Dell XPS 13. Unfortunately it does not run OS X (not yet at least and definately not legally or supported).

No OS X = no sale for me.

End User

Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:10 pm

morphine wrote:
sschaem wrote:
and it uses active cooling (I dont like fan in laptops at all).

Keep in mind that I've read many stores about Airs (and probably other ultrabooks) often having overheating problems. So an active fan that stays quiet most of the time can be a bonus. I have no idea how good or bad the fan is in the XPS though.

Running hot was a common issue with the 2010 era MacBook Airs at my work. The 2011s were more powerful therefore ran cooler with the same workload and therefore much less fan use. My 2012 MacBook Air is better still. One thing though, as soon as you touch the integrated GPU the fan will spin up fairly quickly. Makes me wonder how hot the integrated GPU of the Core M will get.

localhostrulez

Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:20 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
It's interesting how much emphasis some people put (or don't put) on certain features vs others; it makes you realize how there's no "best" design for everybody (and pity the designers a little who have to find the compromise that makes the most people happy or angers the fewest). The Ars review of the XPS 13 made much of how poor the webcam on it is -- calling that "an essential feature of any computer" -- which is weird to me because the only time I've used the webcam on a laptop was when I first got it and checked to see if it worked. Actually now that I think about it my main desktop monitor has a webcam built in and I don't think I've ever used that over the years either.

The state of PC touchpads could be improved, no doubt, but since I almost always use a mouse for any "serious" work it really doesn't bother me; in the old days I used to disable the trackpad completely because "palm detection" wasn't yet a thing. The feel of the keyboard is a lot more important to me, and kept me on Thinkpads for a long time even when virtually every other feature on competing models was more desirable. Even though I hated the trackpoint nubbin and never got used to it.

Edit: Added link to Ars

I never used my webcam either (and my primary machine was a desktop without one), until I moved off to college and found myself video chatting with my parents all the time.

But as for trackpads - I'm typing this on a run-of-the-mill HP biz laptop from ~5 years ago, 6530b. Typical smallish Synaptics pad, with that little scroll mark along the side. But if you load a newer, generic Synaptics driver onto it, multitouch is smooth as can be, and gestures work wonderfully. Not particularly lacking. Never saw palm rejection as a big deal on these older machines though, because the touchpads were often recessed, and not that big. Who needs palm rejection when your palms don't physically hit the touchpad in regular use anyway? I always hated the glossy fad that used to be on consumer laptops though (on the touchpad and keyboard keys, REALLY?). And a lot of consumer laptops seem to have sent their keyboards to hell in an effort to shave off a few mm of thickness.

The XPS 13 is mighty tempting though. I sure don't need it, but for something that thin, they actually managed to keep it quite functional. Ie. you can actually replace the battery with only a screwdriver, no glue required. And at least on the Haswell one, the SSD was mSATA, not a proprietary thing. (Apple is just not gonna give up their proprietary SSDs in favor of M.2 PCIe, are they?)

End User

Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:02 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
And at least on the Haswell one, the SSD was mSATA, not a proprietary thing. (Apple is just not gonna give up their proprietary SSDs in favor of M.2 PCIe, are they?)

It's a moot point as the new MacBook is not upgradeable. Lack of upgradeability is more of a concern than a proprietary connector but I'm going to give Apple a pass on the lack of storage/memory upgradeability post purchase as the motherboard is too damn small to handle expansion.

For those Macs that can be upgraded there is a good supply of storage options. OWC has numerous products and the pricing appears to be in the same ballpark as M.2.

localhostrulez

Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:16 pm

End User wrote:
localhostrulez wrote:
And at least on the Haswell one, the SSD was mSATA, not a proprietary thing. (Apple is just not gonna give up their proprietary SSDs in favor of M.2 PCIe, are they?)

It's a moot point as the new MacBook is not upgradeable. Lack of upgradeability is more of a concern than a proprietary connector but I'm going to give Apple a pass on the lack of storage/memory upgradeability post purchase as the motherboard is too damn small to handle expansion.

For those Macs that can be upgraded there is a good supply of storage options. OWC has numerous products and the pricing appears to be in the same ballpark as M.2.

On the new one, sure. (That system board is insanely compact. Wow.) On the Airs and the rMBP's, I'm not so sure. Somehow Dell manages to stick with industry standards in a machine that looks just as compact/thin without a problem.

Still, this new Macbook... I guess anorexic laptops are truly a thing now. Somehow I doubt that anyone will notice the extra mm of thickness anywhere but the spec sheet.

End User

Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:24 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
Somehow Dell manages to stick with industry standards in a machine that looks just as compact/thin without a problem.

I don't know why Apple went with its own connector for its PCIe storage but a reduction in size vs the "standard" connector products does not appear to be the reason.

localhostrulez wrote:
Still, this new Macbook... I guess anorexic laptops are truly a thing now. Somehow I doubt that anyone will notice the extra mm of thickness anywhere but the spec sheet.

The motherboard of the new MacBook is getting close to the size of a PCIe storage module. It makes sense to mount the storage directly onto the motherboard. Cripes, it totally makes PCIe sticks look ginormous and terribly out of date.

Shaving off a few mm makes a big difference. I was shocked when I moved from an iPad 3 to an iPad Air. We now have an iPad Air 2 at work and the difference between it and my iPad Air is extremely noticeable.

When I got my 15" MacBook Pro at work I truly realized how much I value a small/lightweight laptop. I loved my 11" MacBook Air. I just sold it in anticipation of ordering the new MacBook. I'm totally sold on thin.

kumori
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:22 am

End User wrote:
I'm totally sold on thin.

I agree. I'm a little worried about the Core M, though it seems like it will be on par with my MacBook Air from 2011 which is fine for most things.

That being said, I'll probably wait around a gen2 model.

localhostrulez

Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:00 am

For an iPad, yeah, it might be noticeable. (To be honest, the older iPads always felt heavy to me for something that's mainly handheld.) But for a laptop? Here's my thought - notice how business laptops are what business buy when they need to depend on them and get work done, and the purchasers don't care about shiny equipment? And notice how those tend to shy away from these design fads? (Although they do seem to be slowly becoming ultrabooks.) Maybe there's a reason for that? Thin and light can be nice, but enough is enough. I didn't like the thought of disposable equipment in the first place (no thanks, I don't need more mostly-not-recycleable ewaste when/if a part dies), and now we're going to the extreme with ports just to go even thinner? This is getting ridiculous. It's kinda funny how companies do make almost exactly what I want, but they only market it toward businesses - and plenty of people don't know about biz grade equipment. I'd rather have something a little bit thicker (doesn't have to be by a whole lot, I don't need a CD drive...), and repairability, and a decent amount of ports (ethernet anyone? Useful at times, small to implement). And I am seeing some biz laptops now that do exactly that. Some scrap the CD drive, but they almost never drop ethernet. And the newer HP Probook/Elitebooks that fit that description are still perfectly upgradeable/repairable, no tools (save for a phillips screwdriver or the like) required. Sadly, I may be in the minority among consumers in wanting this...

And I say the same thing for phones - I borrowed a friend's Lumia 920 for a little while, and compared to a lot of flagship smartphones, that thing is a thick, heavy brick. Yet, I didn't actually notice it when using it or carrying it around. And the extra space for battery would be great, and very noticeable.

I wonder how Core M compares though - I'm guessing faster than my full-voltage Penryn C2D, but I don't know how much. And according to cpubenchmark.net, the P8700 isn't much slower than the 2377M. Doesn't feel slow anyway.

End User

Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:38 am

kumori wrote:
End User wrote:
I'm totally sold on thin.

I agree. I'm a little worried about the Core M, though it seems like it will be on par with my MacBook Air from 2011 which is fine for most things.

The 1.2GHz Core M hits 95 in the single CPU Cinebench R15 test. My 2012 MacBook Air with the 2GHz Core i7 got 101. Multicore is 184 vs 251. While the CPU performance hit is a bummer you do get faster storage, faster Wi-Fi and a Retina display.

What is the config of your 2011 MBA?

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:01 am

Philldoe wrote:

I saw a Lenovo Yoga 3 not too long ago, it's surprisingly well made for a non-thinkpad. I'm the sort who would rather have a fat bastard with discrete graphics and/or a vast battery, though, so none of these anorexic laptops really does it for me. That said, it's nice to see PC manufacturers start to make laptops that aren't dog crap, gamerbling or an office drone special.

mjallan123
Gerbil First Class

Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:23 am

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned about is the customer service you get from Apple, which is generally exceptional.

Not only is their phone technical support extremely competent but they also have physical stores in a lot of cities. This means you can go in to one of their shops and, even if your problem is faulty hardware, they can fix it there and then for free. What other laptop manufacturer can offer that level of service?

I was quite nervous about the specs of my 2014 MacBook air 11 and thought it would be underpowered but now I've been using it for 6 months I can honestly saw the experience has been flawless. OS X has been a joy to use, especially with the trackpad gestures. Far better than the abomination that is windows 8.

Hopefully windows 10 is a lot better because I still like to game and unfortunately windows seems to be the only place I can do that right now.
Core i5 2500k @ 4Ghz | MSI 6950 Twin Frozr III | 8Gb DDR3 1600Mhz | ASUS Z68 Pro | 1200W Thermaltake Toughpower | OCZ Lian Li V2010b | HP LP2475w

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:04 am

Why not the UX305? Lower production values. Apple has a certain level of quality that most computer manufacturers can't/won't meet. Apple is a hardware company first and foremost.

localhostrulez wrote:
Here's my thought - notice how business laptops are what business buy when they need to depend on them and get work done, and the purchasers don't care about shiny equipment? And notice how those tend to shy away from these design fads? (Although they do seem to be slowly becoming ultrabooks.) Maybe there's a reason for that?

People do care about shiny equipment, and they would buy they coolest kit they could if given the choice. They soldier on with what they're given because it's what they're given. Believe me, people who travel alot appreciate less weight. However, thin and light costs money, and in the past the trade offs weren't worth it. The power to weight ratio has gotten better in recent years, and I expect business stuff to trend towards thin and light as well.

With that being said. Service contracts and easy of manufacturing is also a concern with business equipment. Most business equipment is going to have a service contract on it. If the contract never gets used to replace worn out or faulty parts, that's free money for the OEM. They don't' have to pay for new parts or a service tech's time. The end effect is equipment built to a higher standard, which IT appreciates.

Businesses also buy lots of equipment, and they don't necessarily want to wait on it. If the difference is between a few millimeters and few hundred units per day, the company is going to go with more units per day. The equipment would have to be a high margin, specialty item to justify lower output and longer wait times.

It's kinda funny how companies do make almost exactly what I want, but they only market it toward businesses - and plenty of people don't know about biz grade equipment. And the newer HP Probook/Elitebooks that fit that description are still perfectly upgradeable/repairable, no tools (save for a phillips screwdriver or the like) required.

Consumers are different beasts. They prize price and novel features over durability. They also have different usage habits then businesses or tech enthusiasts.

It's like cars. Car enthusiasts can deal with an old car. They like the quirks and maintenance, but most people should just buy whatever new car fits into their budget.

I'm on board the thin and light movement, within reason. More power in a smaller space is good with me.

localhostrulez wrote:
Somehow Dell manages to stick with industry standards in a machine that looks just as compact/thin without a problem.

Dell is a good enough manufacturer. They don't try to push the envelope like Apple.

End User wrote:
I don't know why Apple went with its own connector for its PCIe storage but a reduction in size vs the "standard" connector products does not appear to be the reason.

Apple was well ahead of the standards at the time. Now, it's still pretty unique, but at the time, it was aliens landing in Central Park revolutionary.

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:59 am

Flatland_Spider wrote:
They don't try to push the envelope like Apple.

Except when they cut the envelope, like with discussed this lack of ports :P

End User

Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:56 am

morphine wrote:
Flatland_Spider wrote:

With 801.11ac and Bluetooth I'm having a hard time understanding why you need more than one port. If you want to use it as a desktop replacement it has an awesome dock.

riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:02 pm

The new MacBook seems like a tablet to those who hate the limitations of tablets.

As for the ZenBook UX305 and similar notebooks, it is a good thing that Apple is pushing the envelope on these things. Otherwise we would still have laptops that look like something out of a Best Buy Sunday insert at around $400 or so. If Windows 8/8.1 NEVER had touchscreen capability as the only way to interface it (3rd party downloads aside), nobody would hate the new ultrabooks. Now if only Windows can make trackpad drivers that aren't so terrible.
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

localhostrulez

Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:26 pm

One thing I find a bit funny is that the new Macbook has only that single type-C port, yet the rest of the refreshed lineup has zero type-C ports (rather than some A and C). Funny to think about - assuming they don't stick a type-C port right in iPhone boxes, does it mean you could buy this nice, insanely slim laptop, and not be able to connect your iPhone to it? :wink:

That said... really, am I the only one who is actually happy with some Windows trackpad drivers? No doubt there are terrible ones out there, but the newer Synaptics drivers seem just fine - and I've found this even on my old HP nc6120 (Pentium M/DDR1/Designed for XP/Vista Capable). Old touchpads that were definitely not meant for multitouch. Plus, anything that old just about always has discrete buttons.

I guess thinking of the new Macbook as an iPad on steroids makes more sense. As for needing more than one port, consider this. Say you have a presentation on a thumb drive, and want to run a projector. Oops, you need the $80 adapter for that. Say you're in a place without wifi. Oops, you need a third party adapter (since Apple doesn't make one at all). Copying files off a thumb drive and running low on battery, but don't have an adapter already plugged in? Too bad. I guess it can be worked around, but why? If it were up to me, I'd just add a mm or two (does that necessarily have to increase weight much?), and throw in a few more ports... And to be honest, I'd be a little more willing to excuse this if they had shipped one of those type-C/HDMI/type-A adapters in the box. Buying this Macbook without the adapter seems like buying a Surface Pro but not the keyboard - you can do it, but the product was really designed to be used with the extras.

As for business laptops - consider the HP Probook 600g1 and Elitebook 800g1 vs the Probook 6470b and Elitebook 8470b. Yeah, they are making the newer ones thinner and lighter, but they're proceeding carefully. Ie. the new ones are still just as upgradeable/repairable by your average IT guy as the previous models were. That is, very much so. (Although the 6470 felt like I could beat it up more than the 600g1. Not sure about the Elitebooks.) Once you go beyond a certain point, it seems like diminishing gains, and an increasingly high price tag (whether literally the price, or limitations) to pay for all of it. And I feel that Apple's hitting that point. Weight may be a concern, but a few mm thickness in a laptop? Was the air really too fat, to the point that limiting the machine further to make it thinner was worth it?

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:56 pm

End User wrote:
morphine wrote:
Flatland_Spider wrote:

With 801.11ac and Bluetooth I'm having a hard time understanding why you need more than one port. If you want to use it as a desktop replacement it has an awesome dock.

hahhahaaha no. People need ports to do ALL KINDS OF THINGS. Like plug in a hard drive when the battery is low.
As for teh "awesome dock", that's a joke product, and you know it. 80$ for THAT?!?!!? They should have just included the other ports. While I can appreciate people liking OSX and apple's trackpads, I honestly think anyone buying the new macbook for that insane price is high as a kite. or stupid.

LocalCitizen
Gerbil

Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:16 pm

"why are people ignoring the Asus Zenbook UX305?"

you are not the only one wondering:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tonybradley/2015/03/10/apple-macbook-makes-a-compelling-pitch-for-asus-zenbook-ux305/

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:20 pm

End User, the dock costs money and is one more thing to lug around. I suppose I could put it this way: I'm not spending $1200 in something that has a mere "light use portable" usage pattern. To me it's absurd to not be able to plug in a pen and a mouse, or an external hard drive and charge the laptop at the same time, etc etc.

I mean, I'd be willing to make usage concessions if it didn't cost almost as much as an MBPro.

localhostrulez

Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:23 pm

morphine wrote:
End User, the dock costs money and is one more thing to lug around. I suppose I could put it this way: I'm not spending $1200 in something that has a mere "light use portable" usage pattern. To me it's absurd to not be able to plug in a pen and a mouse, or an external hard drive and charge the laptop at the same time, etc etc.

I mean, I'd be willing to make usage concessions if it didn't cost almost as much as an MBPro.

That's the same thing I said about the iPad back in 2010. $500 for this? No thanks. And honestly, I'm still not willing to spend that much on it. But at $250 for a Mini 2, I bought one. This Macbook just reeks of first-gen product that needs improvements to really go anywhere, just like the original iPad or Macbook Air. Not sure how they'll add more ports if they don't have space though - the keyboard goes edge to edge, and it tapers, so you barely have any decently-thick space along the edge.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:40 pm

sweatshopking wrote:
People need ports to do ALL KINDS OF THINGS.

Buy a MacBook Pro or convert to the cloud.

localhostrulez wrote:
One thing I find a bit funny is that the new Macbook has only that single type-C port, yet the rest of the refreshed lineup has zero type-C ports (rather than some A and C). Funny to think about - assuming they don't stick a type-C port right in iPhone boxes, does it mean you could buy this nice, insanely slim laptop, and not be able to connect your iPhone to it?

Apple never updates their entire line up at the same time. Things lag.

Why would you plug in the iPhone to the MacBook? Bluetooth, iCloud, and/or wireless. Apple has done a lot of work to eliminate cords.

You're not thinking about how people actually use these things. Not power users, just users. They're not going to attach an external monitor, they're going to use the cloud, and they're going to be on their couch trolling while eating potato chips. I'd give odds they only thing plugged into the majority of MacBooks will be the power adapter.

This is perfectly adapted to the target market, which is totally different from the MacBook Pro market. I'm actually pretty enamored with the thing. It has a terminal emulator, ssh, text editing capability, a web browser, and long battery life. This would be a pretty nice little remote terminal. It's this or a Chromebook Pixel really.