Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Inexpensive tablet or laptop for media streaming?

Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:25 pm

I'm in the process of setting up some supplies in my workshop for reloading and the like. I'd like to put an inexpensive tablet or nettop type device out there; I have wifi from the house, and I'd like to use it to stream music, videos (both from my main PC and amazon), and to look up information (reloading manuals and whatnot).
I've got an OK set of speakers sitting around to plug into it.

I'd need to run Windows 10 to make networking with my main machine easier. Screen size...I don't really care so long as it's over 10 and under 17". Cheap is *very* good.

I may, in a pinch, take this to work conferences and do retro gaming (AOE II, PvZ, etc).

Any advice on good, cheap models?
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Re: Inexpensive tablet or laptop for media streaming?

Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:50 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
I'm in the process of setting up some supplies in my workshop for reloading and the like. I'd like to put an inexpensive tablet or nettop type device out there; I have wifi from the house, and I'd like to use it to stream music, videos (both from my main PC and amazon), and to look up information (reloading manuals and whatnot).
I've got an OK set of speakers sitting around to plug into it.

I'd need to run Windows 10 to make networking with my main machine easier. Screen size...I don't really care so long as it's over 10 and under 17". Cheap is *very* good.

I may, in a pinch, take this to work conferences and do retro gaming (AOE II, PvZ, etc).

Any advice on good, cheap models?

Not sure if this helps but I did see this today on slickdeals: http://slickdeals.net/f/8522627-dell-re ... e-shipping

There are some Ivy Bridge systems in there for $370 ($185 after a coupon). They run Win7 Pro which you could upgrade for free to Win10 pro, and also means you could Remote Desktop into it. Since these are systems are ~3 years old and have full-power mobile CPUs, battery life is probably dismal. But hey, a <$200 system.

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:49 am

Check out http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-T100H ... 100+cherry My review is the top one on Amazon. Didn't even notice that.

Its a laptop and tablet in one. Yes, big bezel, and only 720p for the screen, but it's extremely portable and delivers pretty solid performance. I've managed to run Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition at the lowest settings and lower resolution at a playable 25fps - that's really impressive for a $300 tablet.

I've also used it to do work on the train. The keyboard is decent, if unremarkable, but it gets the job done.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:33 am

Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

DreadCthulhu
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:07 pm

If you are feeling adventurous, you could check out all the oddball Windows 10 tablets coming out of China. Techtablets has a bunch of reviews on them. I have my eye on the Chuwi 12 - it uses same 12" 2160x1440 panel as the Surface 3, Cherry trail Atom, 4 GB RAM, and 64 GB emmc storage. It is about $270 on the various import sites. I am just waiting for the dual-boot with Android version to come out.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use violence well before last resorts are necessary.

If violence isn't solving your problems, then you aren't using enough of it.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:24 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
I'd need to run Windows 10 to make networking with my main machine easier

What?

Pagey
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:07 pm

Amazon deal of the day via Woot, but expiring soon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B16 ... ge_o00_s00

Lenovo 11.6 2 in 1 with Win 10, 4GB of RAM, 128GB SSD, IPS touch screen for 269.99.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:13 pm

Windows 10 won't share files with non-Windows devices :evil:
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

DreadCthulhu
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:35 am

paulWTAMU wrote:

Really? That is an odd regression. My Android devices have no problems seeing and using the folders I have shared by my Windows 7 HTPC/Home server combo. Guess that is another reason to hate on Windows 10. :P

More seriously though, there aren't that many Android devices that are larger than 10 inches; Windows will get you a lot more choices in that size range. And Windows will be better for legacy gaming. I would suggest getting a refurbed business grade machine (too bad that deal Duck Tape Dude posted expired) - not the best battery life, but cheap, durable, and better performance than a similarly priced new consumer grade machine. I would suggest going on Newegg and making use of the filtering options to pick one out. Lots of good choices for under $300; hell, under $200 if you are willing to put up with a 768p screen.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use violence well before last resorts are necessary.

If violence isn't solving your problems, then you aren't using enough of it.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:24 am

paulWTAMU wrote:

WHAT?

I'm really, really hoping you're mistaken. I run mostly Linux at home, but my TV computer and wife's laptop are both Windows 7 still. Was considering making use of the free upgrade to 10 before the window expires, but not if there's no sharing to non-Windows devices.

Hmm. Need to get my hands on a Windows 10 device to check this out. May need to use my mother's notebook as a guinea pig.