Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Re: New Phone Time

Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:57 pm

ludi wrote:
ludi wrote:
My last troubleshooting step is a factory reset, if that doesn't do it then I'll be getting that 5x nearly a year sooner than I'd hoped.

And....nope. The UI is a bit smoother with two years' detritus properly cleaned out, but the WiFi is displaying Identical behavior. And since I already pulled the phone apart and found all cables and connectors to be in their upright and locked positions, this one will have to be written off as a pending hardware-level failure.

Also remember, deals on the Nexus 6 still can make it worth it too, provided you're not buying the 5X because you want a smaller phone.

I bought a used Nexus 6 last fall (sadly, only a month or two before they fire-saled on Amazon), and it's still an amazing phone. Every feature I want is there, and it's updated every month. It's not my primary (expected to have an iPhone at work), but it's trotted out every weekend, and it's the first time that I loved media playback on a phone with its amazing front-firing stereo speakers and beautiful OLED screen, as opposed to just "yep, I can play that movie or song" --and my first smartphone was the only analog one ever made, the Kyocera 7135 Palm PDA/flip-phone (I've owned Palm, Blackberry, Android, and used iPhone over the past decade-plus). It will get Android N.

The 5X and 6 are both good choices too, though I'd be picky on the price of the 5X and try and get a deal on the 32GB model.
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:16 pm

I price comp'd a couple of those but even my S4 is a hair larger than my "ideal" size. The 5x is probably where I'll land.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:08 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
Gesture typing/swiping helps as well (when it recognizes the word you want, that is). I think Google has the best implementation in their stock keyboard these days.

Personally, I prefer Swype. I find the recognition to be more accurate and the punctuation works much better (it's integrated into the swiping gestures). Plus, it has far easier handling of multiple languages, even in the same sentence. I paid $0.99 for it on my first-ever Android phone, and I just install it new any time I get a new device. The stock Android keyboard just feels clunky to my by comparison.

localhostrulez
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:28 pm

Hmm, seemed a tad annoying to me when I last used it on iOS. Granted, I think gesture typing is great on smaller screens where I'm otherwise not very fast or precise (ex. phones where your thumb reaches across, not tablets).

I think I got Swype free a while back on some deal, so I'll download it again when I get my SE (they're still backordered).

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu May 05, 2016 11:18 am

Whelp, no 5X. I tried putting the phone and necessary accessories into an Amazon cart to see what the damage would be, and saw $400. Then, on a whim, I went puttering about on eBay and discovered I could get a new Verizon S4, factory unlocked, for $180 (and re-use all my existing accessories, particularly the wireless charger). Completing the software updates right now. Hopefully this lasts until the carriers settle on a final standard for 5G.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu May 05, 2016 11:46 am

Finally got around to reading iFixit's disassembly of a Nexus 6P. Better not crack the screen, as the way the phone is built pretty much precludes getting to it.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Thu May 05, 2016 2:17 pm

Reparability is just one of the reasons you want a good case for the Nexus 6P.

https://youtu.be/r3cWVdLqXCg

The phone uses plastic dovetail joints to secure a free floating aluminum back in an effort to make the phone more resilient to being bent.

Unfortunately the design doesn't work.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu May 05, 2016 2:23 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
The phone uses plastic dovetail joints to secure a free floating aluminum back in an effort to make the phone more resilient to being bent.

Unfortunately the design doesn't work.

Since I never put the phone in a back pocket, that's not really an issue for me.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Thu May 05, 2016 4:12 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Apple: It will be a very cold day in hell before I purchase ANY Apple product (don't ask, and 30+ year old firmly-settled opinion at this point).

The problem is, from a security perspective, nobody else other than Apple is even in the ballpark.

Android is a hot mess.

Much like some of the others in this thread, if I go Android, it'd be a Nexus. I prioritize patching/security too much for anything else.

I hear you though. It's a done deal, no fruit.

Apple is pretty much the most secure phone you can get...no back door I know of that the government can get into without asking apple to build one in.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system