Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

localhostrulez
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: New Phone Time

Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:24 am

Ooh, this is interesting - looking up a bunch of the Nexus and newer Moto phones on amazon, they say they're compatible with all 4 of the major carriers. Same physical device (it used to be that only the iPhone had the physical radios for everything, and whether it was actually enabled in software was another question). So yeah, I guess using a Nexus on Verizon isn't as unsupported of an idea as I thought then.

Oh, and apparently B&H is offering discounts on the Nexuses right now: http://bgr.com/2016/03/11/nexus-5x-nexu ... -discount/

Shobai
Gerbil First Class

Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:17 am

Have you considered the Blackberry Priv? It seems to be available on Verizon, runs Android, modern hardware, slide out portrait keyboard.

I've had a Droid 4 for a few years now and while it's running Marshmallow via CM, I'm just about ready to drop it in favour of something faster. I wasn't hopeful of being able to find another hardware keyboard phone, so I've been keeping an eye on all fronts...

[edit: of course, it probably fails on the root requirement. "Nobody's perfect"? =P ]

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:32 am

I've used a blackberry Priv for ten minutes, but it only took two to remind me why Blackberry is a company that should have gone down the pan a long time ago.

I junked every Blackberry we had in the company and set up a BYOD scheme using exchange Acivesync with remote-wipe privileges. No longer do people have to tolerate such abysmal hardware and half-baked OSes riddled with reboot and lockup bugs.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:53 am

Nexus 5X 32GB if you have to have a "must be always usable one-handed" phone.
Nexus 6P if you don't mind it being a bit bigger.

Those are your best choices on Android. Never dependent on a carrier's schedule for updates. Never left in the lurch like you are with unlocked phones from some other vendors. More secure. Will work on any US carrier, so if you get crap from one, or find an MVNO providing your favorite carrier's service for cheaper, you can switch.

On the Android side, at this point, I wouldn't buy anything else, and that's from someone who was a dedicated Motorola fan. My "fun phone" (that is, I play with it when off work) is a Nexus 6, which you can still find some deals on and isn't a bad phone either, but it is huge. If you don't mind that, it's also a good option, and has the best speakers for media playback I've ever heard.
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD

Dposcorp

Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:18 am

Id go with a used Nexus 6 for around $200, and if you look around, you can find the ones bought directly from Verizion, and already on the network.
Toss in a Sim and go.

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:25 am

Yes to only Nexus on Android until and unless any OEM puts in writing a formal policy that they can get sued over.

http://officialandroid.blogspot.com/2015/08/an-update-to-nexus-devices.html

Nexus devices have always been among the first Android devices to receive platform and security updates. From this week on, Nexus devices will receive regular OTA updates each month focused on security, in addition to the usual platform updates. The first security update of this kind began rolling out today, Wednesday August 5th, to Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 7, Nexus 9, Nexus 10, and Nexus Player. This security update contains fixes for issues in bulletins provided to partners through July 2015, including fixes for the libStageFright issues. At the same time, the fixes will be released to the public via the Android Open Source Project. Nexus devices will continue to receive major updates for at least two years and security patches for the longer of three years from initial availability or 18 months from last sale of the device via the Google Store.

https://source.android.com/security/bulletin/index.html
Feel free to browse and see how many CRITICAL CVEs are not patched every month by OEMs. (This is Nexus build, doesnt include any OEM modifications. Like how HTC was storing the fingerprint info not encrypted, world readable on phone.)

As for Apple vs Android. Who knows.
http://nelenkov.blogspot.com/2015/06/password-storage-in-android-m.html
Android stores details about the current PIN/password's format in the device_policies.xml file, which might look like this:

<policies setup-complete="true">
<active-password length="6" letters="0" lowercase="0" nonletter="6"
                 numeric="6" quality="196608" symbols="0" uppercase="0">
</active-password>
</policies>

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:26 pm

Deanjo wrote:
Is there any android device that has been able to run the current releases for 5 years like Apple devices have been able to?

No. 2 years is considered a good run.

Google Nexus, Motorola Moto X Pure Edition, or Motorola Moto X (unlocked) are the phones to check out. The Motorolas don't have much customization done to them, and without having to deal with the carrier, Motorola will push out updates.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:26 pm

Dposcorp wrote:
Id go with a used Nexus 6 for around $200, and if you look around, you can find the ones bought directly from Verizion, and already on the network.
Toss in a Sim and go.

++ this is what I'd do. I've had good luck with Swappa.

Also if you already have a micro SIM, you can get a SIM cutter on Amazon. Hold your breath and hope for the best. I paid $10 for the one I have and it popped out a nano-sized SIM pretty easily. A little thicker than an actual nano SIM so be careful.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:43 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Also if you already have a micro SIM, you can get a SIM cutter on Amazon.

What is this thing you call SIM [/sarcasm}? Droid 2 Global's SIM only works overseas (and has never been activated on this phone). Last GSM SIM I had was for my old RAZR. That's why I've been reading about Nexus/Moto X activations with some interest.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:31 pm

Best Buy has the black 16GB Moto X Pure on sale for $299.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

Dposcorp

Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:06 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
Also if you already have a micro SIM, you can get a SIM cutter on Amazon.

What is this thing you call SIM [/sarcasm}? Droid 2 Global's SIM only works overseas (and has never been activated on this phone). Last GSM SIM I had was for my old RAZR. That's why I've been reading about Nexus/Moto X activations with some interest.

That is funny, but now that I think about it, if you are going from a unlimited non-LTE phone/Plan, to a LTE device, they may not let you grandfather that "unlimited" part in, since now you are able to use a TON more data.

I have switched phone service an average of once a year the last 4 years because of crap like that, so be careful.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:35 pm

Dposcorp wrote:
That is funny, but now that I think about it, if you are going from a unlimited non-LTE phone/Plan, to a LTE device, they may not let you grandfather that "unlimited" part in, since now you are able to use a TON more data.

I have switched phone service an average of once a year the last 4 years because of crap like that, so be careful.

VZW didn't change a thing when my daughter's Galaxy S5 went on the plan, so I'm hoping that remains the case.

PixelArmy
Gerbil

Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:51 pm

The 5X and 6P are on sale at Newegg right now...

*Edit: Seems like a Google promotion, so it's discounted in the Play store too, though Newegg nets you a gift card too.

localhostrulez

Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:58 pm

Flatland_Spider wrote:
Deanjo wrote:
Is there any android device that has been able to run the current releases for 5 years like Apple devices have been able to?

Google Nexus, Motorola Moto X Pure Edition, or Motorola Moto X (unlocked) are the phones to check out. The Motorolas don't have much customization done to them, and without having to deal with the carrier, Motorola will push out updates.

Of course, you're forgetting one bit - on iOS, Apple drops support for a phone several years later, and then everyone promptly forgets about it. On Android, they're used to a whole bunch of versions constantly in use, with hardly anyone up to date, so apps (and play store frameworks, etc - increasingly moved to the store for this reason) still get updated on the old OS for a good long while. My galaxy nexus (retired a while back) is ~4 years old now and on 4.3, but it's still compatible with the current apps out there (albeit slowly - it wasn't a high specc'd phone to begin with). It's on the latest, decently secured version of Chrome, for example.

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:30 pm

Flatland_Spider wrote:
Deanjo wrote:

For a Nexus, three years shouldn't be unexpectable. The Nexus 5 after all, released in October 2013, got Marshmallow. The general policy is full operating systems up to two years, and security updates for another year after that. Which tells me it's unlikely to get Android N, but it should keep getting security updates, and the Nexus 6 should get Android N for sure.

I think Nexus phones only came into their own with the Nexus 6 though. Whether you like the size of it or not, it was the first to work across all US carriers. It is the earliest to support Google.Fi. The 5 wasn't a bad phone at all, but is limited to GSM carriers, and could have used a bit more battery life.
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:45 pm

LoneWolf15 wrote:
The 5 wasn't a bad phone at all, but is limited to GSM carriers

Wrong, it speaks CDMA also. We're using one on Ting, started when they used only Sprint towers.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:41 am

Thanks for all the fish (42). Oh, and enjoy every sandwich (werewolf).

Deal done & trigger pulled on a Nexus 6P 128GB through Amazon Prime. Went there so that I had easy returnability if my local VZW Corporate store gives me crap. Will bring the unopened package to VZW to preserve returnability.

Yes, I splurged on the 128GB. I can afford it and it's a bit of future-proofing in case the Zune HD 64GB ever craps out. CM13 support is still nightlies, so it'll be unlock and TWRP until CM13 goes stable.

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:42 pm

bthylafh wrote:
LoneWolf15 wrote:
The 5 wasn't a bad phone at all, but is limited to GSM carriers

Wrong, it speaks CDMA also. We're using one on Ting, started when they used only Sprint towers.

Excuse me, I was incorrect. It supports CDMA, but Verizon doesn't support the phone, only Sprint. Verizon never approved the phone, so it's still one that won't work across all carriers, like the Nexus 6, 5x, and 6P.

localhostrulez

Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:37 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Thanks for all the fish (42). Oh, and enjoy every sandwich (werewolf).

Deal done & trigger pulled on a Nexus 6P 128GB through Amazon Prime. Went there so that I had easy returnability if my local VZW Corporate store gives me crap. Will bring the unopened package to VZW to preserve returnability.

Yes, I splurged on the 128GB. I can afford it and it's a bit of future-proofing in case the Zune HD 64GB ever craps out. CM13 support is still nightlies, so it'll be unlock and TWRP until CM13 goes stable.

Wow, look at the timing - the price just dropped, and I think you missed it (I could've sworn it was $600 or $650 on amazon when I saw your post this morning): http://camelcamelcamel.com/Huawei-Nexus ... B015YCRYYS Maybe you can ask them to refund you the difference?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:40 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
Wow, look at the timing - the price just dropped, and I think you missed it (I could've sworn it was $600 or $650 on amazon when I saw your post this morning): http://camelcamelcamel.com/Huawei-Nexus ... B015YCRYYS Maybe you can ask them to refund you the difference?

Amazon Prime price was $599 shipped and I've reached the point in life where a $20 price delta isn't worth the hassle if I should have to send it back. Oh, and mine is Graphite.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:49 pm

I'm of the opinion that the only phone worth caring about right now is the CAT S60, which may or may not come in a Verizon-friendly package, and maybe its little brother the S50 which does. Glorious metal and a huge battery, what's not to love? And a FLIR, in the S60's case. I don't know how they are for hackability, but they're a small enough outfit they might be willing to work with you.

Aside from that, the Sony Xperia series is about as good as it gets and comes in a number of sizes and feature sets. Don't rule out phones that are one or two generations old, they're a lot cheaper and specs haven't changed that much.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:06 pm

LoneWolf15 wrote:
Which tells me it's unlikely to get Android N, but it should keep getting security updates, and the Nexus 6 should get Android N for sure.

Actually, there are references to N in the N5 repos so i'd say it's 50/50 at this point. I imagine a battery that old might be dying, in addition to being small, but there is still a good chance the N5 will get N.

Even if it doesn't get N from Google community devs will surely port it over.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

localhostrulez

Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:14 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Amazon Prime price was $599 shipped and I've reached the point in life where a $20 price delta isn't worth the hassle if I should have to send it back. Oh, and mine is Graphite.

OK - that version is still $599. Never mind then. Though in general, I thought amazon tends to be accommodating with price adjustments.

I haven't played around with the Xperia's much - my mom and sister had Xperia E's ($120 at the time, one of the cheapest things I could find that was unlocked and had Android 4.x), and I was thoroughly unimpressed by them. Very slow to respond, hardly usable, responding to email was an exercise in frustration, and then part of the touchscreen crapped out on one. We sent it in for warranty, they sent it back and said the slight crack in the USB jack (which was cheaply made anyway and has nothing whatsoever to do with the screen) voided the warranty, and they lost all future business from our family. The pricier ones are probably better, but making something this cheap/bad just tarnishes the brand and wastes people's time. Kinda funny, since I've bought a few super cheap (as in $15-20 on sale, but locked to a carrier) prepaid smartphones to play with since then, and they've all been surprisingly decent.

Here's the thing with generation old stuff - yeah, I do this all the time for Windows laptops, and it's often half the cost (lightly used). Unfortunately, the resale value of Apple stuff (pretty much all of it) is too damn high - this doesn't really work. :( Otherwise, I'd love to get myself a 6 or 6S (perfect size for me, and the 6S finally has 2GB RAM). The 5S is much cheaper, but I've always thought it was too narrow/small.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:18 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
Unfortunately, the resale value of Apple stuff (pretty much all of it) is too damn high - this doesn't really work. :( Otherwise, I'd love to get myself a 6 or 6S (perfect size for me, and the 6S finally has 2GB RAM). The 5S is much cheaper, but I've always thought it was too narrow/small.

Apple?? Have you read this thread??

Deal is done until and unless the VZW corporate store decides to be a PITA.

localhostrulez

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:14 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
localhostrulez wrote:
Unfortunately, the resale value of Apple stuff (pretty much all of it) is too damn high - this doesn't really work. :( Otherwise, I'd love to get myself a 6 or 6S (perfect size for me, and the 6S finally has 2GB RAM). The 5S is much cheaper, but I've always thought it was too narrow/small.

Apple?? Have you read this thread??

Deal is done until and unless the VZW corporate store decides to be a PITA.

Yes, I've read the thread, and I didn't say you should buy Apple in that post. I merely mentioned a few words in general, responding to NovusBogus's post in the thread. Sheesh.

If Verizon turns out to be a PITA, then I'm not sure you have any good options - seems like most of the interesting phones we mentioned are unlocked/SIM, and not sold directly through Verizon. Hopefully that goes well though (if it fails, maybe try another store and beg?). Worst case, does Verizon have any cheap SIM-enabled phones that you could buy outright and activate, and then pull the SIM out of? With that, I wonder if SIM configurations are ever an issue, keeping in mind that you sometimes have to replace them to get new carrier features/configurations (ex. tmobile wifi calling supposedly can need this if you have an old SIM, and similar things for other carriers). (Mind you, my cheap LG is locked to Verizon, lacks LTE, doesn't have a SIM, and is "only" a 2 year old model that was sold up until quite recently - so I guess you have to be careful with older or lower-end stuff.)

mikepers
Gerbil

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:44 pm

I've been itching to upgrade and this thread was the push I needed!

I was leaning towards a 6P for the latest stock android and the fast updates. (My old phone is a Galaxy S4 and I've always hated the Samsung bloat)

PixelArmy was kind enough to point out the Newegg sale and the fact that they throw in a $50 gift card. Perfect! Trigger pulled. 64GB Graphite.

Now just need to figure out the nano sim thing on Tuesday. Hopefully that will go smoothly at the local Verizon store.

End User

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:49 pm

Deanjo wrote:

My Nexus 4 did get the next OS but Google started cutting new features immediately.

localhostrulez

Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:21 pm

Ooh, wait a minute... no only do some phones Tmobile sells support wifi calling, but a bunch of the current Nexus phones and the other huge-vendor-that-shall-remain-unnamed do as well, even if bought elsewhere. Seems to be a software thing they specially collaborated on, and in many cases added with updates later on (doubt that's coming to the Moto X line though).

My Moto X (2014/2nd gen) is working perfectly well (and I'd like to keep it as long as possible - strong cell radios, nice camera, 2GB RAM, Android 6 should have app support for a while even if the phone doesn't get more updates for some unlikely reason - only the battery life and recent google play software buginess could use some work), but with the current sales on the Nexuses, this is tempting. The problem with my old galaxy nexus is it was a bit slow to begin with, the camera was always crappy, and then it started dying as I got to 2.5 years in (3 year old model). Battery didn't last as long, it started having strange issues connecting to cell towers, etc. And it feels like I end up resetting every Android device I have every several months to a year because the software starts glitching out (more so on the gnexus). Hopefully that won't happen with the Moto.

mikepers
Gerbil

Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:53 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
.....Deal done & trigger pulled on a Nexus 6P 128GB through Amazon Prime. Went there so that I had easy returnability if my local VZW Corporate store gives me crap. Will bring the unopened package to VZW to preserve returnability....

Quick update regarding what I did to get a nano sim for my 6P on VZW.

I didn't feel like going to the store as that usually kills a hour or two since they're always busy. So after this thread convinced me to also order a 6P I then ordered a nano-sim and an adapter from Amazon. (just under $17 delivered via prime 2-day):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A7YRIJK
and this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G26XWDI

They came today. I popped the nano-sim into the micro adapter and popped that into my existing phone. I powered up the phone and it could see that I had an inactive SIM. I then called Verizon activation at 877-807-4646 and told them I needed to activate a new sim in my existing Samsung GS4. They asked me to power off the phone. Then they asked for the SIM number. Took them all of 2 minutes to activate it. Then they told me to power up the phone. I did and within a few seconds of the 4G banner appearing the "activation successful" message popped up.

Now I have an active nano-sim to pop into my 6P tomorrow when it arrives. So overall very simple experience. (granted I had an existing device to do it in)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:22 pm

mikepers wrote:
Now I have an active nano-sim to pop into my 6P tomorrow when it arrives. So overall very simple experience. (granted I had an existing device to do it in)

If I had a current 4G micro-sim I'd do the same thing.