Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

credible
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Connecting my LG G4 to this...

Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:03 pm

Could anyone shed some light on this thought I have, I have this EQ hooked up to my car stereo and obviously have the LG G4 which has the ability to play back 24 bit audio.

I was wondering if I could connect it to the AUX rca input on the Clarion EQ and if so what type of adapter do I need.

http://www.clarion.com/ca/en/products-personal/audio/EQS746/

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Connecting my LG G4 to this...

Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:06 pm

i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

credible
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:39 pm

Really, thats it, will it be 24 bit still?

ozzuneoj
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:17 pm

24bit implies digital sound. Once the phone outputs the sound through its DAC (digital to analog converter) it is no longer 24bit. It is simply an analog signal. AUX inputs are analog. The "24bit" aspect of the audio never makes it to the headphone jack.

So yes, that's basically the only way to get sound out of a phone other than to send it via wireless means to something else that has a DAC.

Also, for what it's worth, no one would ever hear the difference between CD quality 16bit 44khz audio and anything higher in a car. With road noise, reflections, vibrations, etc., going beyond CD quality (and in most cases high bit-rate MP3) makes no difference in a listening environment as poor as a vehicle. Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it in any situation (in home, with headphones, etc.) unless you've got extremely expensive equipment and a golden ear. :)
Last edited by ozzuneoj on Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fractal Design Define R6 - Ryzen 5 3600 - Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite - 16GB DDR4-3000 - PNY GTX 970
IBM 5150 - Intel 8088 4.77Mhz + TinyTurbo 286 7.16Mhz - 256K onboard + AST SixPakPlus 384K - 20MB Miniscribe MFM - Everex EV-659 EGA + Parallel

localhostrulez
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:20 pm

ozzuneoj wrote:
So yes, that's basically the only way to get sound out of a phone other than to send it via wireless means to something else that has a DAC.

USB OTG -> USB DAC

I've done this with Android phones before. Also, docks with digital outputs on the iPhone/iPad side...

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:51 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
ozzuneoj wrote:

USB OTG -> USB DAC

I've done this with Android phones before. Also, docks with digital outputs on the iPhone/iPad side...

iPod Touch? When I did have an iPod Touch I used to dock it for audio out over the 30-pin connector but I'm going to guess it was analog, and not digital?
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

localhostrulez
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:59 pm

My dad had an iPod Touch a long while ago, and ran toslink or digital coaxial out of the dock. Wasn't terribly reliable though (guessing they were trying to show off features, reliability be damned).

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:25 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
ozzuneoj wrote:

USB OTG -> USB DAC

OP still needs to get it from the USB DAC to his EQ's Aux input, which still means an analog connection. That aside, it's potentially useful information if he wants a better DAC than the one in the phone...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

credible
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:23 pm

ozzuneoj wrote:
24bit implies digital sound. Once the phone outputs the sound through its DAC (digital to analog converter) it is no longer 24bit. It is simply an analog signal. AUX inputs are analog. The "24bit" aspect of the audio never makes it to the headphone jack.

Also, for what it's worth, no one would ever hear the difference between CD quality 16bit 44khz audio and anything higher in a car. With road noise, reflections, vibrations, etc., going beyond CD quality (and in most cases high bit-rate MP3) makes no difference in a listening environment as poor as a vehicle. Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it in any situation (in home, with headphones, etc.) unless you've got extremely expensive equipment and a golden ear. :)

I don't disagree with you on the fact that you are not getting a true 24 bit I just try and focus on the best version of sound I am going to get, so ya I try and fool myself for the enjoyment of music.

Ended up grabbing one of these and while I am not getting a measurable increase in sound quality over the .79 one I do have a lot of wires in that general area already so the extra shielding is helpful to reduce some noise.

http://stingerelectronics.com/catalog/interconnects/SI433

Ya the link might be handy lol.
Last edited by credible on Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

credible
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:27 pm

just brew it! wrote:
localhostrulez wrote:
ozzuneoj wrote:

USB OTG -> USB DAC

OP still needs to get it from the USB DAC to his EQ's Aux input, which still means an analog connection. That aside, it's potentially useful information if he wants a better DAC than the one in the phone...

Ya there are definitely better products for doing this but I just happened to get my first phone and wanted to try it, as it is my radio has a 24bit analog converter but the clarion 'supposedly' has cleaner and better circuitry lol.

If I can justify the cost somehow I will spend almost anything, within reason, to get 'better' sound.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:46 pm

I doubt you will be able to hear the difference between 16 and 24 bit in your car.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

credible
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:05 am

Placebo effect for me JBI:)

Though I am also about to drop some bills on these as well.

http://shop.hybrid-audio.ca/C61-2-65-inch-components-w-Clarus-competition-passive-xovers-C61-2.htm

Will bridge my amp and have 300 watts a side going to them, yummy.

Gems09
Gerbil In Training

Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:25 am

had the same question and came across this post. finally confirms my plan to use a 3.5mm-3.5mm or 3.5mm-RCA AUX-IN audio cable.Thanks for the info!