Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Melv55
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

iphone5 vs iphone6, price vs improvments?

Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:42 am

Hello,
I have in mind to change my phone, and looking to buy an iphone.
The problem is that ipone6 which i want to buy, is too expensive for me.
On the other hand, iphone5 is much cheapper, I can buy at half price an Iphone5, but I want to know if technical difference between iphone6 and iphone5, justify the price difference?

Thanks

Norphy
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: iphone5 vs iphone6, price vs improvments?

Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:42 am

Assuming that you mean the iPhone 5 that was released in 2012, I really wouldn't buy one. It's in its last year of operating system support. Its the last remaining 32bit iPhone still in support. It lacks a lot of the features that even the 5S has such as TouchID, Metal and others. I have one and I'm starting to get frustrated with the performance of the thing.

If I were you, I'd see if I could stretch to, at the very least, an iPhone 5S or an iPhone SE.

localhostrulez
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:09 am

FWIW - the iPhone SE is basically an iPhone 6S (NOT 6), but with the touch sensor, front camera, screen of the 5S. Basically, it's good enough, and has the 6S's CPU/RAM (so it should be supported just as long). Small, fast, nimble. I love mine. :) (And I've always liked the classic 5S design, which the SE reuses. The 6/6S feels too Android-like/too curved for my liking - boxy and a little thicker is rather nice.)

The 6 (not 6S) just looks silly next to the SE, since the guts are actually older (CPU, rear camera, etc) yet it costs more.
Last edited by localhostrulez on Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:14 am

I think that now, in late July, if you want an iPhone the only one worth thinking about is the SE. It's not going to get obsoleted in the next 6 weeks like the larger ones. If you want a 4.7" or larger iPhone, you should wait until September. Even without a mute switch or a headphone jack, the other supposed improvements of the iPhone 7 are just going to make you want one. :p
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

localhostrulez

Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:21 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I think that now, in late July, if you want an iPhone the only one worth thinking about is the SE. It's not going to get obsoleted in the next 6 weeks like the larger ones. If you want a 4.7" or larger iPhone, you should wait until September. Even without a mute switch or a headphone jack, the other supposed improvements of the iPhone 7 are just going to make you want one. :p

Meh, I'm probably going to hang onto my SE for a while. I use the headphone jack WAY too often to give that up without a fight (car, headphones, etc - all less reliable/more complicated BT). :wink:

I mean, come on, it's basically a 6S Mini starting at $400 ($500 for usable amount of space). Cheapest iPhone they've ever offered, and it's got years of support ahead.

The Egg

Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:56 am

This almost seems like a question for someone who's videocard makes a creaking sound. It's like a "creak--creeeeak".